Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Wait, okay, I know :thejoke: but what actually is suppose to be the difference here?

Wingtip dihedrals to avoid vortices forming off the wings. Space turbulence is no laughing matter.

Edit:

Loiosh posted:

Luckily for the release, the engine they made for the 3rd person portion was able to be converted without requiring a whole redesign. I really wish we could get a book of that development. That, Destiny and (whatever the next FPS out of Valve.. ha ha ha ha... who am I kidding) I would love to read about the development of.

Some of the Destiny devs are already talking about the development process, and some of it feels like a retread of Diablo 3. Assumptions regarding the landscape informing design decisions.

I still think Destiny needs more work, TBH.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

When this has all happened before but each time you think it will be different, that they'll be different

Uncle Suas only beats us because we deserve it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

I actually love the ideas and work that go into game enviroments so this should be right up my street, but I can't help but feel that this is all wasted time for a spaceship game.

I feel for the poor bastards that worked for CCP churning out content for the WoD MMO. Some of that stuff was actually lovely.

Some of these kids should dump games and try some kickstarted product design.

RuckusRouser posted:

"We don’t just want existing players to enjoy the anniversary, we want to introduce Star Citizen to new players! As a result, we’re offering a limited number of discounted $30 packages each day, first come first serve (1,000 per day.) "

Already sold out for today. After seeing all of nothing for 3 hours HOW can ppl still be buying-in?

False scarcity and hype. As to the real answer to your question, it is for the ages, my friend.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kilmers Elbow posted:

They need to bring Pete Molyneux in to sort this mess out.

We need a jpeg of Chris Roberts peeling his face off to reveal Pete Molyneux.

Edit: ...who then peels his face off to reveal Chris Roberts. You see where I'm going with this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loiosh posted:

I don't think they'll hit a million until (if) 2.0 is stabilized. There's just not a lot of trust left to CIG, for reasons shared here, so they're not going to pull in new backers like they used to with JPEGs. They have to prove it, and they have to prove it within the next month. If they cannot stabilize 2.0, then Derek's 6 month prediction looks quite accurate, depending on their COH.

I'm fairly convinced that this is a Ponzi now. The ship sales being run to cover the operating and presumably refund costs. The game is a plausible cover and can keep them going until they shut up shop. Sure, this could be hyperbole, but sometimes you have to produce a huge 'what if' and think big.

These 'alpha' releases are having the opposite effect of making people feel better about development, so they're not about proudly presenting something. They're about cycling the hype train until the next round of jpeg sales.

Consider that the product here has no value. The current audience has already paid into it, and has purchased the product. This money has provided the burn rate for the company for four years, with the offhand 'prediction' that it's going to out next year; they already have their captured audience and they have to squeeze them to provide for any shortfall. They're headed for a liquidity crisis, IMO.

I say this because they're discounting goods that don't exist, or in some cases simply haven't been produced.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

illectro posted:

Star Citizen certainly isn't that game, but Rogue System is, please give money to these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouC6-T6wilI

Edit: Guess I should read the rest of the thread before posting.

WTF - Loiosh wants FSX depth without button pushing, but thinks that the system simulation in E:D with all its automation is not that thing.
This is a case of carefully placing the goalposts to try and fit Star Citizen in without letting other games through.

Yeah, FSX isn't really the sim he's looking for. Most people moved to Prepare3D or Xplane. FSX manages to survive because of the third party stuff, but most of that is slowly moving over.

Rogue System hits Falcon 4.0 levels of detail, and while I agree that it's spergy as all hell, there's room for more than one game. The difference being that one actually exists.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

gently caress all that. Microsoft should bring back Flight Simulator.

They did, it was called 'Flight' and nobody bought it because it was a cash grab.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

It takes some balls to promote your membrane keyboard as being in the same league as microswitches.

Edit: I meant CIG rather than Corsair.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jst0rm posted:

its just personal preference. The apple keyboard can take a serious beating plus its super easy to clean.

This. I've had a couple of model Ms, but the Apple keyboard is pretty lush. It's my preference for hacking on things now, but to be honest we really just adapt to these things.

Cherry switches are the K&N filters of the computer world.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

If you back SC you own 2 things:

Jpegs
Yourself

The undying gratitude of Goons who lap up the drama like the finest cream.

I'm not refunding my $40; I'm in this to the bitter end. Archive this, Reddit.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Open plan office spaces crack me up.

"We can't find talent! The labor pool is poo poo right now!!!"

Uhh no, nobody wants to work in your loving work-release concentration camp.

A couple of years ago the Huffington Post decided to remove all the cube walls and compress everyone into a much smaller space. That's 770 Broadway in New York.

The noise is phenomenal, and it's more because Arianna has a chubby for the New York Times and wants the feel of a real newspaper.

Note: I do not work here.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I've come all the way full circle - I'm gonna buy more. This comedy engine needs fuel, damnit!

Ssssh, you're exposing the pump'n'dump of the Idris M futures. Secret forum secrets.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

Those desks are definitely dumb for an office environment, but $700 for a decent desk/table is not expensive. What should they have gone with instead? Tiny $200 IKEA/MDF/70s prison (although that would have fit the theme) desks with three legged stools?

Chairs are the thing. Chairs are more important than the flat surface that you work on, and nobody has talked about the chairs because Herman Miller is a base standard for something you'll spend a third of your life on.

You don't go to loving restoration hardware for loving desks unless you're a New York advertising boutique.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

neonbregna posted:

Lol if you sit down at work you are literally killing yourself and ripping off your employer http://www.businessinsider.com/proof-standing-desks-you-more-productive-2013-9

https://www.techinasia.com/health-benefits-standing-desks-separating-hype-reality/

"And it turns out, prolonged standing causes health problems too. Plenty of studies show that it increases the risk of carotid atherosclerosis (a disease of the arteries) ninefold due to the extra load on your circulatory system. You’re more likely to get varicose veins, which cause all sorts of complications."

It's not like the poors weren't doing standing jobs forever...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loiosh posted:

This one was kinda cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UqEHrXva0U

Too bad about all those crashes if you try to do this yourself. :)

That's very effective artificial gravity and inertia dampening.

Edit: 90% of these streams are people walking around looking at things. Did they change to a remake of the Stanley Parable?

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 24, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

It'll happen when they're desperate enough and the shitstorm will be delicious. You can lie to them, fob them off or ignore them all day but if you touch a shitizens exclusive jpegs they are going to get mad.

To be _fair_ the number of people willing to pump $2500 into this on spec as....yeah, a 'donation' is going to be fairly low, and scarcity is going to matter. They'd gain more mileage by producing a variant and asking people to trade in their old autism chariot for the mithril-plated autism chariot.

And we should be much nicer about it. If this game ever comes out, the tastiest tears will be found on board the expensive ships.

SirPhoebos posted:

The longer you live, the sooner you die. More at 11.

Truth.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Good. You have learned three things today.

That was the quickest Karl vacay ever. I go away to analyze packet dumps and he's probated already.

Anyway 'geekcream', we've constructively criticized the game to death. We've even attempted to help turn the poo poo around, but CIG still promises that they're going to make dreams come true without any substantive movement in that direction.

The headbobbing is sickening, the animations are overly long, and the crashes are multivarious. Despite all of this I'm keeping my 'pledge', because so far it's paid out on amusement. Game's going to be poo poo because no lessons have been learned from _literally any space simulike_ since the first wing commander games.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

A good thread title: "Star Citizen: This thread is just full of insane people"

Star Citizen: We know Derek.

Star Citizen: Come for the whine, stay for the cheese.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

My hobby is just watching insane people for laughs and posting about it.

Me too.

They're called 'Talking Points', and they tend to attempt to fix the narrative in such a way that they present a cohesive front that appears to come from many different people rather than a single source. Usually the dumbfucks bollocks it up by using the talking point language rather than the essence, so you have the same metaphor being used at the same time by the same group.

This is different to the secret forums, as they're more for strategery.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Holy poo poo they've almost reached 100 million dollars in funding. How is this real, why is this real? Am I real?!

Donald Trump is running for president. Nothing is real anymore.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Claims knowledge of German:

Can you source her quotes? Sounds like a bullshit reference to me.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Sandi speaks five languages fluently and if you are trying to call bullshit on that claim then take notice I am am virtually slapping your face with a white glove and challenging you to pistols at dawn...

I refer you to legal.

No, it was more the printed passage.

That's the thing. That's a reference, but it appears to be printed, and refers to the Marche du Cannes.

D_Smart posted:

Here's the thing: that's what lawsuits are for. We get to find out which aliases (if any), accounts etc they've posted under. And if the judge grants it, attorneys get to send in forensic IT people to go image all their devices, computers etc. This happens all the time; especially in legal action that revolves around stuff like this.

Only where ordered by a court. Remind me again, what are the grounds for your lawsuit?

Iron Tusk posted:

Also, you don't get anything first. In fact you wouldn't even be the one that send in the IT guys, the defendant will (you'll end up paying for it though), and even then they get to review everything before you even have a chance to see it since forensic searches turn up 99% extraneous poo poo.

Yeah, they don't allow fishing expeditions.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

False.

I have been involved in two lawsuits between 2010 and 2012 in which we (my attorneys) filed for it, the judge granted it. Then the attorneys sent in a third-party (Asset Control, Inc) to do it. They had a judge signed sub-poena. They went to the party, got it all done etc. They billed the attorneys, who paid for it, then billed my retainer account.

Were those both against Allen? In which case the actual case itself revolved around what Allen actually had in his possession. I note that was settled, though.

Did you engage in another lawsuit in 2012?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

neonbregna posted:

You are literally the dumbest bitch idiot

You have the best debating style.

Iron Tusk posted:

So you're saying you got all of the defendant's data without them going though it for privilege first? You got personal info, attorney-client communication, extraneous trade secrets, etc.. and the judge was like, what's privilege, cool man, whatever.

Nah, he's saying that a Judge signed a subpoena for a third party to run discovery, and the third party would have been responsible for interpreting the order about what they were looking for, which is entirely normal in cases where evidence might be held by a party that doesn't want to give it. It avoids the whole problem of running a fishing expedition as the plaintiff has to _know_ what they want.

Now the real question is 'what was the outcome of the case', and bear in mind that 'settling' is not an ajudication.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

write a very longwinded blog

How many words can you use to to describe her as a songstress for the ages with the voice of an angel?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

The only correction is that I've been involved in three, not two, lawsuits during the period stated. One of them was just a rehash of the original one in which we (myself and other investors) were accused of violating the settlement (in which that party's shares were purchased) agreement in the first lawsuit by "talking" about it. heh. Both (the other party initiated both) went nowhere and were just a waste of time and legal bills.

What was the third suit, and did you actually initiate that one?

I'm assuming that the first two were Allen. Knock once for yes, twice for no.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Anyone who bought Elite Dangerous + Horizons at some point before the recent sale has done this, so :shrug:

I got in on the ground floor, so I'm currently into Elite, a released game with players, for $72 including Horizons and a late night purchase of a Cobra skin pack.

Coincidentally, until I laid out for Horizons, My Star Citizen pledge was sitting at $5 more than Elite, which I was playing.

Iglocska posted:

I don't know actually, who IS winning? On PCs - DX, OGL is kinda small in comparison (but still there for some major titles). PS3/PS4 is using an OGL derivative afaik, X360/XO DX. Mobile gaming until recently was generally OGL (Now Apple is switching to Metal).

OGL's big problem is backwards compatibility over the patches, shortcuts and bullshit that was introduced because the governing body was dragging its feet. DirectX, on the other hand, was promoted and built by Microsoft, with an equal number of loving outrageous special cases, but an infrastructure designed to deliver it - after we got over the nasty problem of different versioning.

Mostly this is resulting in a bunch of forks, most of which will die.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

talk about burying the lede

"yeah, we need more mature VR support, and better internet, and by the way I'm building a house based on a loving video game"

You missed "grooming my son's friends".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

I guess the forking and horrible maintainability of such situations is part of the whole Open Source life cycle so it's no that surprising. As for Backwards compatibility being a major issue, it kind of is for DX now too - but they easily get around it by shipping DX12 (which is compatible with... DX12) and DX11 (which is compatible back since the middle ages) with the OS. But that's just the PC platform of course and gaming goes way beyond just the PC.

It always was with DirectX, which is why you get to install it every. Goddamned. Time. The thing was that they went for a more controlled development, which means that there's a line between what is DirectX and what is the Driver. The driver tends to include a bunch of patches that the API can reference, but the existence of the line provides demarkation.

OpenGL is more relaxed than this, but the standards documents are lacking and there's no overall control, funding or rigour, and their last major fan stopped producing for them. The one bright spot on the horizon is that SteamOS could do with a solid not-DirectX moving forward.

Most of the above is horribly out of date, I haven't wielded OpenGL in anger for a long time. Preface any corrections with 'Hey, shithead'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

Right sorry to have bored everyone with the 32/64 bit thing but it was bugging me.

The next thing I'm going to focus on is to figure out how large the 32 bit local zones are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVODuGFCMg&t=2458s

From my understanding of the large world change it's not going to help at all with anything the player will be seeing in the local zone, the stuff you're fighting/flying around, all it does is allow you to fly to other local zones far far away. You can call it seamless as the local zones are streamed in as you travel but the local zone/play area is limited in exactly the same way as the Arena Commander maps are. So are the local zones only 8 km long?

The Bengal Carrier is 1 km long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVODuGFCMg&t=1937s

Shubin Interstellar Mining Station is apparently 6km long.

So if you fly backwards 1050m from the front of Shubin, you can't see it as you'll be in a different zone? No, that doesn't seem right, where is the origin point?, if it's the middle then you could travel 8 km away I guess, so over 5 km away it disappears even though it's 6km big. Do they split it across zones and instance the zones too if there are lots of players?

Octopode, can you explain this to me? If I walk out my front door and walk 1 width of my house away and turn around, I can still see my house.

Have you seen the Poseidon documents from Goonswarm relating to the way that Eve creates 'local bubbles' of space around ships, and how it could be manipulated for fun and profit?

Edit: GARPA 'Grid Fu' is the right doc. Poseidon was creating deep safes, but also relied on relative imprecision at high speed to 'scatter' the final location.

I don't appear to have a copy of grid fu, but one of the things that you could do was drive away from a POS, which would create a series of contigious grids, then 'hang a right', while creating more grids. The PoS grid would still be visible, but the ship/fleet would not. Image a '7' with the PoS at the base and the ship at the top.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 3, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

I read something years ago about figuring out position stuff and my head hurt, so I didn't try to read it again. Everything about Eve caused me pain now that I think back.

Effectively when a ship hits local grid, it's either already in a bubble of space, or one is created for it. If you move in one direction, as you get close to the edge of the local bubble, it creates a new one. These bubbles then join up. I *believe* that the address space for these bubbles is cleared up after an amount of time; they used to survive downtime, which is the traditional clearance schedule. There's a _macro_ positioning system, and a local grid that mostly mesh to provide for the illusion of contigious space. When we started officer fitting interceptors to hit 16km/s, it started to break down the calculations and they had to start modifying top speeds.

it did have the side effect of allowing for manipulation of the local grid to hide fleets; it feels like CiG has come up with the same or similar system, worth bearing in mind.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MilesK posted:

What about all the false advertising for a feature complete game due out a year ago. I don't know much about the law, but I'd like to hear more about that than the technical details of floating points and rendering pipelines.

Well, that's the crux of the matter, 'false advertising' as a criminal statute is different from 'false advertising' meaning I, as the injured party, was deceived. The former is an objective measurement, the latter is subjective.

If they made direct claims that *any reasonable person* would consider false, it's criminal. In the civil case I'd have to prove injury.

Smart doesn't have any skin in the game, so I'm still struggling for the grounds for any lawsuit. It could be that he's avoiding sub-judicie or prejudicing the case, but there's a fuckton of existing evidence that makes the whole thing difficult; You don't threaten lawsuits, you dump them and watch what happens next. Threatening lawsuits isn't nearly as good as an actual lawsuit because it's cheaper to launch than defend.

aleksendr posted:

Maybe not since the original part of the project funding, based on promises made at that time, is now unfulfilled and overdue by two years, still without a final delivery date.

That's why people are looking at the ToS, it's the closest thing to a contract, or at the least a binding agreement. It's really weak, however.

MeLKoR posted:

If I pay you to build me a house and you promise to deliver in 2 years you don't get to keep my money indefinitely with the argument that "well you see after you paid me a bunch of other people gave me more money so I'd build a fully functioning Fallout Vault under your home and this will take several years more, you'll just have to be patient".

If you donated the money to someone and didn't get a contract, it can be successfully argued that it's a 'gift' or 'pledge' to support the company in it's endeavors to supply the goods that people are paying for. Bear in mind that we still don't secure 100% prosecutions for people that receive 'gifts' from political allies, and that's actually loving illegal.

AP posted:

If you were going at this as misrepresentation of contract, false description of goods or contract inducement then the most likely outcome by far is rescission, basically a full refund.

^ This, but only on a civil complaint. Criminal complaints about false advertising usually end up in promises not to do it again with fines being bandied around.

Illegal Username posted:

Wait, what? There's going to be a internet spaceship lawsuit?
Is there a summary or something

Two weeks.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AlmightyPants posted:

Hey nerds, games take time. Long-rear end amounts of time. Delays of a month or more are not uncommon. I'm not sure why there was an expectation that the clock would tick over to December 1st and there would be a headline news across gaming websites about a game. Assuming there is a game and it is something that goes forward, I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it for the next month or two. Anything significant coming out of it in the first half of 2016 would shock me. The American entertainment system is slow as gently caress.

And remember, game or not, this is really funny free entertainment. A game would just be icing on this disaster cake.

Made your post even more relevant. Vapor is vapor.

Simply stating what the lawsuit would be about rather than 'THE LIES ALL THE LIES!' isn't going to prejudice it, especially given the Escapist's opening volley.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

Hi I'm your friendly pal Spaced God and in the time it took for SC to reach $100M I graduated, moved 1,600 miles, and (if all goes well at 5:33PM EST) put a satellite into space.

Your arms must be tired. Grats on the (future) launch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

He has multiple times. Look through the discrepancy between what's been promised and what's been delivered. Go through it item by item (if you haven't looked yet, go ahead, the gap is truly insane). Than add first hand accounts of money being spent on items completely unrelated to the game. Go through the books to get an account of where the money goes. The case is about whether this ultimately constitutes fraud.

Fraud against who? Assume that there *is* a lawsuit, what would it say? Is it going to be Derek Smart Vs Cloud Imperium? Where would the fraud be? Serious talk. A tort of deceit requires proof of _intention_ to defraud, which means it's fairly easy to get out of unless you have a letter stating that the person intended to defraud.

I'm not saying that this project hasn't been a bag of poo poo, or that they've mis-allocated funds and failed to project manage, but seriously, YOU CANNOT engage in a fishing expedition based off of loving suspicions. Go read up on the Federal Rules for Civil Procedure with special attention to section b and c.

None of that actually happens until, y'know, there's a suit. And y'all are gettng refunds rather than sticking around for a class action.

Hammerstein posted:

Well I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Europe you have to at least prove damages. Just saying:"Look at these people getting ripped off while funding something they wanna play", would not be enough. And broken promises and delays in the video game industry ? If that was a criminal offense then Peter Molyneux would have been roasted on the electric chair years ago.

You have to prove injury in the US as well, but there's also a huge amount of Caveat Emptor compared with the regulation-heavy EU framework. Settling is a lot more common here, to the extent where most people will simply get rid of a lawsuit by offering a token amount close to the point of initiating defense.

Westboro Baptists have the business model of rolling into a town and being shits, then prosecuting anyone that gets close to denying civil liberties.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

…why is it that people so often seem to misuse the term “ambitious” when relating to this game?

It's more the 'seamless' move from walking to barrelling along at multiple c that is 'ambitious', but having seen this presented for the past couple of decades in various forms (Mercenary being the first), I struggle to actually understand the reason why it's desirable.

Eve Online provoked much the same reaction with walking in stations; why?

The reasoning ultimately came down to opening a revenue stream for clothing and geegaws for your 'apartment', but the 'win' on the players side was a lot more amorphous and involved role-playing, something that inevitably involves a grown rear end man pretending to be a waifu space-hooker.

edit:

aleksendr posted:

I'm glad i'm not the only one getting a slight "1984" feeling from the groupthink the "true fans" are spreading on the media.

Doublethink is 1984. The ability to hold in your mind two entirely contradictory concepts without a problem. Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon where a number of people reach the same fallacious conclusions to strengthen the group. The latter is why the Romans would have someone that would advocate outside of the group to allow for all possibilities.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 7, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

So they sudffer from both ? Having a "Doublethink" condition of "Things are awesome and on track" and "We are already 4 years in that project with nothing more than a Tech Demo and a huge list of promised features" in the brain at the same time and a groupthink of "Only us really understand this awesome dream/game, buy more ship" ?

There's a great psychological mix in there; groupthink is basically just a self-affirming viewpoint that just becomes reinforced. 'Chris Roberts has a proven track record' would be an example. Cults tend to survive on groupthink and isolation of challenging viewpoints.

There's groupthink in here, but it's largely mediated by Goons. If you ever want to start a fight between Goons, lock them in a room together. Reddit's vote mechanism tends to feed groupthink, because dissent can 'disappear'.

Doublethink is harder, because it _has to be_ opposite viewpoints. Normally this gives rise to horrific cognitive dissonance, and is used in torture to attempt to break people. The point in 1984 was that the regime was utterly psychotic at that point. The only solid example of doublethink that I can produce would be the talking points that 'Immigrants are lazy freeloaders' and 'immigrants are taking all the jerbs' being largely accepted by one group of people.

Edit: If they were smart, they'd create an IK chain editor and allow people to submit emotes. And by 'smart' I mean 'playing into Goon hands'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

This is the equivalent of getting excited about a chef possibly adding a sprinkling of silver dragées to the can sprayed whipped cream he's dolloped all over the steaming turd he's charging you $400 to eat...

For an extra $200, it's truffle oil.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

Law and Order jokes are always funny, second only to humble-bragging jokes.

CSI:Cyber fan spotted.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Then we remember that lack of crosshairs was a Star Marine blocker.

Never stop believing or the whole deck of cards may come crumbling down.

Keep clapping or tinkerbell dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Holy crap is that bad.

Eonwe posted:

There are full grown men with jobs who have sewed star citizen patches to jackets and watched wing commander

What a time we live in

I *know*. Many of them are single too, who would have thought.

Hav fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread