Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

I have been out of the SC loop for a while, have Croberts saved PC gaming yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Tippis posted:

You know how in Braid, you run through all these time-manipulation puzzles to get around obstacles and save the princess, and in the end, it turns out that it was all backwards and in reality, the princess was running away from you and trying to place obstacles in your way?

It's kind of like that.

So you are implying that the true ending is that this whole thing explodes?

Had to check if they were still selling my favorite item, and they are!

Want to show big publishers you’re voting with your credits? Pick up this special spacecraft skin honoring the RSI crowdfunding campaign!
(visual unavailable)
(also the functionality to apply skins has not been implemented yet and will be available at some point in the future!)

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Its really interesting to see basically the same scene done by two directors of vastly different skill levels.

The comparison might be a bit unfair though since one is merely a parody of fascist sci fi while the other is a huge turd

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Isnt "service guarantees citizenship" the entire reason for calling the game Star Citizen?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, but he stole that idea from the Roman Empire.

So you are saying the Romans copied Star Citizen?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Happy Sisyphus posted:

some citizens also believe that this trailer is somehow showcasing AI

The super advanced AI walks around the ship desperately looking for something to do in the ships many pointless hallways

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh and forgot I don't think this has been posted.

Due to some bizarre bug a guy spawned a Starfarer in AC and flew it around. So you get to see first hand the fov from the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXUegQIZBNE

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

She is schooled in both the Asian AND the European language?!?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Star Citizen uses real world math

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

e2: anything funny happened since 2577 that I should be looking out for?

Depends, how much do you love sound cards?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

EminusSleepus posted:

Looks like Star Traders won't make it goons, unless you sperg out and pledge $10k in the next 34 hours

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239709734/star-traders

So the game money is Starbucks

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

So even just getting the starting ship should be an "accomplishment"..
They REALLY want (other people) to grind for ships

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

So noone can take off anymore? I expected the RSI forum to be exploding, but i couldn't find any complaints.. Do they have a technical issues sub thats hidden from non-backers? (and if so, lol)

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Hahaha, imagine if a space sim made you do boring menial jobs! so wacky!

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

And this should be on every page

[E1C04S02D]
[Becca Farneway]: "Full burn! Kickin' into overdrive! Full burn! Soon I'll be by your side! And you'll see, that the only truth, in this 'verse, is you and me!"

Is this the love interest? Please let her be voice by Sandi

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Wrecked Angle posted:

What are they going to do? Lock down a large proportion of the game world to hisec protection, thus making the game world even smaller? Get rid of PvP altogether and alienate 1/2 their playerbase?

Thats the best part! Even if RSI were actually capable of making a game they have to either

1. Make a fun game, which would infuriate all the spergs wanting the worlds most boring space sim.
2 Make the most boring, grind-heavy game ever that would disappoint every normal person who paid
3 for the game

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

AP posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...rge-response/p1

According to Patrick just before he left, Star Citizen is going to be grindy pay2win.

For comparison i looked at the ship cost in EVE

According to this the cost of a normal big ship, the t1 battleship, is $10 compared to $340 for a constellation. So either SC is 30 times more grindy than EVE or someone is getting ripped off

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Flying a Titan out of PvP stuff would probably be the most boring thing you could do. They can't do anything besides PvP really and all ships in Eve pretty much control the same.

Can you at least walk around its corridors and check out the toilets and minibar?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

Just a reminder that it's now confirmed that at some point this thing was going to be in the game completely unironically and maybe it still is in the latest draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxh4i3ZEqQ

Chris Roberts is an idiot.

Wing Commander: the Movie 2

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Ponzi posted:

Ep2.19

Ep2.20

Im the Chris Roberts directing chair

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

D_Smart posted:

the best.troll.ever

It would have been even better someone had actually fallen for it

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

atxsperg posted:

someone once poo poo all over the austin bathroom. requiring a pants change mid day. this was before the new atx office. it facilitated new bathroom rules.

I've heard of doing a half assed job but this is ridiculous!

Edit:

Pebergehund fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

2.3.1e patch notes

* Made some tweaks to landing procedures.
* Made some additional adjustments to server back end for performance.
* Fixed a client crash.

Keep up the hard work, CIG!

Are they still pretending to have more than one guy working on this?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

G0RF posted:

Quoting this reddit post in it's entirety because Star Citizen Will Never Be VR Compatible...

As if Chris needed more reasons to rage...

Thoughts On VR Priority from a Rift CV1 Owner

Don't worry friend, BanditLoaf has already commented on the matter, and they're going to get to VR after they get everything else done:

"*feature* is something we’re confident is not a technical challenge"

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

I only just noticed the table, what the hell is that thing?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Well, Sandi have been an interior designer since she was 5

Well, down from $1750, what a bargain!

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Semisponge posted:

Reminder that crobbler doesn't really have prominent cheekbones, just a creative makeup artist.

I guess the company have at least one hardworking employee then

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Also, truthfully, I pretty much have made this clear in some private Discord chats, but I blame almost all of this on Sandi. Chris strikes me as mostly a well meaning schlub who has a really hard time saying no to people (as they would probably stop liking him if he did). I figure Sandi saw some buzz about Chris, had a brainstorm) and dug him out of her phone's contact list. In Chris she saw a chance to revive her flagging personal credibility (we have yet to see any real confirmation of her being the best marketer since she was a little girl) by being attached to THE BIGGEST CROWDFUNDING PROJECT EVA!!!111! By this point in time, it had been established that crowdfunding projects do often fail, usually with mostly minimal legal entanglements. So then, Sandi, Kingmaker (since she was a little princess), had her plan. (And, yes, at this point if this sounds like a heist movie, I am meaning it to).

She reconnected with Chris, locked down their relationship with children, and starting stroking his ego to build him up to act with such audacity. This was her ticket to the big time. Parties, news article, a fuller IMDB page and all. She could be a STAH again!

Then the KS launched. Money started rolling in, but a few people started having questions. BAM! Second big idea - OPEN DEVELOPMENT! There's no secrets here! We'll let you see EVERYTHING during our tours, even if said tours are reminiscent of the fake grocery store windows in North Korea. The development was just open enough to let you see what they wanted you to see. A wacky band of gender and race inclusive misfits, led by a BRILLYUNT! game developer from ages past (because all those drat geeks are awfully nostalgic for people that are supposedly futurists) and the most competent businesswoman since the invention of capitalism (albeit with no real verifiable CV as such - But, then again, DREAMS! don't need CVs), in a funfilled, luxurious workspace, no, hackerspace. And we'll add a splash of creativity and "sticking it to the man" by declaring "NO MASTERS! NO PUBLISHERS!" and going indy. That way they can suck in the malcontents and rebels in the geek crowd, too and steal some...valor?...no...glory from the burgeoning indy development scene.

She's determined to ride this train as long as possible to leach as much money and star power out of it as she can and drat the consequences, as I see it. We've seen some signs of her sociopathy and need for constant ego reinforcement on multiple occasions.

The problem is is that the seams on this ship weren't sealed with proper oakum, but with whatever was lying around and the captain refuses to look at the charts, declaiming instead that he knows the oceans better than anyone else. Even the most loyal sailors are starting to see the leaks overflowing the bilge and are torn between their rum rations and their oaths to the captain and their survival.

Sorry for the recent wall of text effort OpEds. Blame people like AP, G0rf, darkarchon and the Ace Collective for shaming me into it.

A lot of good stuff here, but while Sandy is certainly a bad influence, I still think Chris is the one most at fault here. The two are actually extremely similar in a way; they are both has-beens (or never-was) with grand dreams of being big shot movie producers living in luxury, they both recognize that this requires a lot of cash and hard work and eager are both to let other people supply those.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Please sympathize with CIG, they lost 15 bucks because of the leaver and are now having to devote precious CS time making a profile on the chargeback and its consequences.

I sympathize with the customer support peon who is undoubtedly being yelled at over this

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris knows he failed to make what he wanted with the money they pulled in, but he's convinced that SQ42 will save the day. I'd love to say that it will be a heavy blow to him when SQ42 fails, and fails hard, but Chris is too monumentally stupid for it the failure to drill through his thick drooling skull. Most everyone else knows it's a scam now, though, and that includes Sandi, who has one hand on the divorce papers at all times. History repeats itself, after all.

Yeah, I can imagine him blaming the backers, Derek, the escapist, his employees, basically anyone but himself for the games failure.

Like, remember when he was asked what he learned from making the WC movie? He learned that Someone (not him) should have made him be more focused.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

orcinus posted:

You get the option to vent Sandi through a tiny hole in the window, during Earth re-entry.

Press <F> to scrape pusher42's mangled corpse off the runway with the space-bulldozer

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Keeping true with the power of this subforum, as we predict plot twists and turns, CIG is frantically changing them to make us wrong. Therefore, to cause the most delay in SQ42's release, we must not stop predicting the plot. With Chris as writer, just predict the worst, most mundane thing and we're probably close to home. If we keep it up long enough, we might inadvertently force them to write something that isn't derivative crap.

I feel the safest way to predict the plot would be to take the footage we already have and extrapolate.

So since the "gameplay" video ended with your commander forcing you to watch a presentation about how amazing the Idris is, I predict that the rest of the game will be nothing but varies ship commercials

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Why would you crow crops on a spaceship?
Why not do it on space stations, moons or planets instead?
I mean we don't put farms on our boats and airplanes so why put it on a spaceship?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Palisader posted:

Little informal poll, pretend I put a poll here, I'm not a developer

Will CIG crash and burn

Or

Dissipate like a wet fart

Crash and burn.
I hope sq42 will be so hilariously awful that it causes croberts to explode from sheer embarrassment

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

I have no idea whats going on in this clip but it looks painful

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

lazorexplosion posted:

Persistence is like... very early on in a project you'll know if you have to store things in a database and you'll naturally write the back end with that in mind because it would be crazy not to. If they genuinely got years into coding an MMORPG and only then went 'Oh my god you what we need a database for some of this stuff, we have to do a bunch of work and change everything we've done so far' they'd have to be incompetent almost beyond belief. Which is possibly but even for them, Jesus... Or more likely it's just a buzzword for them to throw out, something that sounds like they're making progress on important things to laymen while actually being nebulous bullshit because in actual fact they're making barely any progress on the MMORPG part of Star Citizen. Like talking about pipelines that will totally pay off one day you guys.

Nah, its to tick off a box named "Persistence". Next we'll get 100 barren, palette swapped star systems to tick off the "universe" box

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

chris and sandi are already on their life boat, the developers are shuffling around chairs on the deck. ship has taken on a lot of water. Insert VHS 2 to continue watching titanic.

would be neat to compile this and old ones for a more complete timeline

don't get me wrong nearly 2mil a month is crazy money still, but lol at about 50% revenue lost since Oct

Yeah, and it used to be they were going to make the entire game for that kind of money

and now they have been getting that every month for four years and they somehow always need even more money to finish the game

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

It was WhiskeyWhiskers.

We are going to make an exception and follow the law this one time, just for you ;)

Pebergehund fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 1, 2016

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

ShredsYouSay posted:

Was Derek 's ELE the thing he kept talking about since months and months ago?

Don't get me wrong, I like Derek but I thought the ele would be a game changing thing.

I feel grief.

I dont think you realize that several people are going to ask for a refund now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Ben wrote his masters on game development. He doesn't remember what it was called... Videogame Development something...

"International Videogame Development" by Ben Lesnick

• Locked thread