Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

fuzzknot posted:

Sabotage the speakers
If you can get a conductive pen you can just ink over those colored rings on the jack real quick and it'll ground out the whole cable (unless plugging it back in scrapes the ink off, then you wasted money for nothing). I think the tip is the ground so if you make it so the whole thing is silvery it should just stop working or else will parp outta control idk I didn't really think it thru

Gilganixon posted:

:laffo:

The Epic Tale of the Goonship Ramparp: The story so far for them what came in late

Part 1
Part 2

and now the thrilling continuation

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT IN THE EXCITING CONCLUSION

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
somebody use this track for something it got good, powerful parps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjurXi8-3b8

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I like how you can't see poo poo out of the ultra view glass bubble cockpit

Also what the gently caress is the deal with these "variants?" Why would you ever have to buy cutlass ambulance vs cutlass troop transport or whatever, and have to deal with loving around with another extra hull, instead of just designing the game so you reequip the ship to do what you want it to do?

Probably the same reason they love moving chairs and helmet flaps but couldn't figure out opening the passenger side door.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Toops posted:

Whelp, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pXBpXBm0kk

if someone wants to texture this honka burnin sperg, let me know. UV mapping makes me hate life.

majestic o4

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Originally the idea was that you would finish SQ42 and, depending on how you did, you would start with a ship, income, and reputation. Supposedly pirates could quit at any time and run off with an uninsurable stolen milspec craft, or you could be the hero and get mad space duckets, or you could gently caress it all up, etc. If you don't have a ship you could do odd jobs based on multi-crew tasks or fly other people's ships.

Of course that's all hosed since you can buy SC without SQ42, so who the gently caress knows.

See, now that's interesting enough that it would actually be a really cool concept if done well, but also so vaguely thought up and hard to do that it's a perfect match for star cit.
Also lol they accidentally canceled the vision

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hey what were those developers who got pissed @ cig & decided to make their own SC without the bullshit and put their version of PU out for $1? am I even remembering an actual thing that happened?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
anyone know where I can get some jpegs separated out of their backgrounds? I want the space sword and some fighters but they're all fighting against nebulas and poo poo. I need them for a project

willing to pay pal 90.000btc asap

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

phosdex posted:

That was the devs for Guardians of Orion: http://steamcommunity.com/games/407840/announcements/detail/857178496799079226

It's $1 until March 3rd. Dunno if it's any fun, I bought it, fired it up and the first thing it requires is for you to make an account on their site and well I hate that kinda poo poo so I just closed it for now.

welp gently caress that

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6sigd_KMEk

Why does a laser rifle have recoil? And literally go pew-pew? I thought the sound engineers at CIG were supposed to be good?

I like the three to five sets of crosshairs best

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also I like how the slide doesn't quite match the pewing or actual beams being emitted

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sappo569 posted:

beaten...

I count 3 crosshairs, and sometimes a red-dot, i guess since crosshairs were such a huge blocker for them they figured gently caress it MORE CROSSHAIRS!

Also notice the guy is learning over to see because for some reason his whole character is slanted constantly at a 45 degree angle

I'm counting it as: little crosshair that never moves, circle with chevron, red dot, bigger + crosshair that moves and spaces out as you shoot, and then I'm pretty sure there's another cruciform one that's dimmer and floats more loosely and gets bigger faster. Might be an alternate form of O^? Also none of these sights appear to predict where the actual shot will land.

Samizdata posted:

Wait, if the gun is kicking out enough energy to cycle like that, then it should be imparting enough energy to move the player... :psyboom:

no, no, it obviously actively cycles to neutralize any extra forces applied to the commando.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tippis posted:

I just noticed another thing. Look at the 3pv at 1m10 or so. Notice where the red-dot sight is? Why is it placed right by the character's ear? Why is it that, in spite of its front end being juuust behind and below the eye, it appears in front in first person view? Why does the sight move around compared to where it was not 5 seconds before, and why does it keep appearing in different places later on when he goes back to third person view? Didn't we go through a whole slew of “must sync first-person to third-person” nonsense just so that these things wouldn't happen? :cripes:

Also, on a more spergy level, why is it that large portions of the tube isn't actually seen in the tube (if it had lenses, you'd normally see a lot more of the tube unless you're looking right down the axis; if it's a collimator/reflex sight, then it should not have any visual distortion at all? The only way I can see that effect making any sense from an optical point of view is if it's not optics, but rather a video feed or if it's a compressing sight rather than a magnifying one — i.e. it makes the target appear smaller and farther away, as to make it harder to hit…

Prob same reason the shots don't hit where the dot is. It's completely fake. IMMERSION FIELD DISRUPTED

E: hey I think it was you that posted way back when someone was talking about "building upon" their previous work or whatever, and I think it was Swedish(?) where "Vi Byggen" means like 12 different things like "we're gonna build, we're building on something, maybe we're gonna build with these random bricks laying around?"

I'm going to assume this is pronounced exactly like English "We Biggen" because 1: that'd be amazing if building something was somehow cognate to making it bigger, and 2: I like to think somewhere in the old countries there's a bunch of people walking around saying what sound to be absolutely English words but the grammar is totally different and incomprehensible.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wtf you know where you're looking and where your gun is pointing while EVA because you literally see your loving gun!? That's in your hands!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This thread is breaking my start citizen dreams and also my other dreams are broken now too

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i can't watch crobs because he's so loving monotonous. He's basically antihype and drains all excitement out of the room

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

if I used redidit I would click the button to hide childish comments

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's kind of striking that as fat as lesnick was in the beginning, in his old pics he looks so much healthier

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Toops posted:

That gives me an idea: There will be a side-panel in the cockpit that's just a vintage game of hungry-hungry hippos. As you're powering up your ship, you look right, and mash on each hippo for like 3 seconds while bleeps and bloops are going off elsewhere. Hippos gotta eat, even in space you guys.
lol

sensor array: 4kS calibrating...
Sensors calibrated, 'verse seen
fidelity matrix: reticulating...
Splines reticulated, fidelity martix online, 99.9% capacity
immersion field generators: actuating manifold...
immersion field generators: establishing vector bundle...
Immersion field generators online, backer core is fully immersed
parpmode: engage

you should have a hud console that types all the messages into the inside of the windshield at the same time the computer yells it at you. sometimes it has typos if the computer gets too emotional and has to backspace and correct them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

boviscopophobic posted:

Are you going to have at least one jittery ship (both in flight and while parked)? You could give it a really nervous/manic personality.

should look a lot like one of their $20000 coffee machines

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Saddest Robot posted:

There should also be a lawnmower engine primer somewhere. That little bulb you have to push in with your thumb a few times.

to warp you have to physically spool the jumpdrive by yanking the pullcord an immersive number of times, 5-7. Ideally all the screens should have to laboriously fold back to reveal the starter

e: semi beat

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Toops posted:

haha fantastic. I'll add the lawnmower primer. I'm a dog poo poo animator, but I'm gonna give actuated panels the ol' college try.

https://trello.com/c/SOQ30xuv/72-ship-startup-sequence-immersive-cutscene

I'm still most excited that at some point after clicking buttons, you will look down and to the right at your vintage hungry-hungry hippos game. You will click on each of the hippos several times in order to feed them because they are hungry.

this is great, and every time you click the actual hand pushes the hippo lever randomly different. Delicate press with your finger, mashing it down with a loose fist, using both hands to jam more than one at a time

also the computer is not linked to the hippos at all and doesn't comment on them because they don't actually do anything and are literally hungry hungry hippos on a side panel in a space ship cockpit.

When you wreck if you don't completely explode some of the marbles should float out in front of you right before you pass out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXDJQkuWeA

fans sing this to crobs, out of love and understanding

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ravane posted:

Does this loving idiot of a CEO even realize how little wheat actually sells for? No amount of Space weed or wheat could ever justify the purchasing this ship. :chloe:

Look at the size of this biome. It's so loving small. You get 32 bushels of wheat per acre, which sells for about $171 per acre. This is not an acre. This is not even the size of a typical one-story house. :wtchris:

The ship salesman that sold this ship has got to be making GBS threads his pants that someone actually bought this piece of poo poo ship, because anybody who thinks they'll actually make money off of it has got to be loving retarded. Also, what the gently caress kind of dystopian society is star citizen set in that bread is not readily available? Christ, Roberts you loving retard, hahaha. :cripes:

You couldn't even make your money back from space weed.

i'm concerned that the space trees' root structure is too stunted in such shallow soil. the roots are too poorly immersed

See, these are ideas that might be cool in an actual game. Fuckin crazy rear end alien environment pods could be cool and you could get interesting products being produced at a stable rate. Instead star citizen has wank pods. That kind of stuff would be better off in a space station, but if you had a good procedural bird system I could see why aviary pods could be useful and cool.

Another thing that's loving stupid is how narrowly the ships are focused. You should be able to refit a hull to do whatever you want as long as you have appropriately powerful parp cores or whatever. So a ship could be a p fast, robust cargo transport, or the same thing can be a slower, more fragile weed factory. Or put on a mining array or big fuckin guns or something. Advanced scanulators or whatever.

Ships should have basic ranges for like, it has this much actual configurable volume, this much power core, this is the biggest engine you can fit on it, you can have this many hardpoints, and then the player should be able to mix and match whatever modules to make the ship do what they want how they want it. Maybe certain super-niche components like wank pods and bird houses would be restricted to a smaller number of specialized hulls. Instead there's a fuckin overload of hull variants that are locked in.

doesn't matter cause they're all jpegs but it's fuckin dumb

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

is this their real €2,500,000 coffee machine? What is it actually called I want to look @ it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Originally that was the pitch. Ships would be highly customizable depending on their core design. For example the Anvil Hornet would be a tough, rugged, but focused ship while the Drake Cutlass would be somewhat cheaper in terms of construction but would make up for that with dramatic levels of flexibility. Instead it all ended up being bullshit with unique hulled variants that locked the player into certain playing styles and design decisions that were arbitrary and idiotic (like the Cutlass Red, a space ambulance, not having missile racks or the ability to even mount them because ambulances didn't need them). This resulted in just a little bit of backlash so as a result CIG has a new modularity system where core components (like the center of the Vanguard) can be swapped out for other systems. It's a pretty decent way of doing things since modules are far easier to make and some ships (like the Retaliator) can have two of them.

Unfortunately this also means that CIG has roughly four different "styles" of modularity that they need to reconcile in addition to everything else they've messed around with. If the company was competently run they would have focused on core development of a simple demonstration, locked down the feature set and mechanics, and then used those rules to expand to other ships. So for example have the Hornet and Constellation as locked down demonstrations of how single and multi-crew would work, finalized all of the internal systems, and then use those rules to expand to other craft.

But gently caress it I know nothing about game development.

man this is just disappointing as gently caress. It'd be cool to have an actually fidelitous (within reason) game.

Both completely unsurprised and kinda disgusted they have a space ambulance. How could that ever be fun or interesting? How can you make money as a space paramedic outside of a large fightmans org that might actually need one? Why would you have that when you could just put a medbay in a bigger ship that's less likely to blow up and ferry guys to that? They don't even have loving wounds or damage states other than [Hitpoints] and [ALIVE | DEAD]! I would be stunned to believe having yellow legs has any effect on gameplay. Would having this granular damage even be fun?? What could be fun about having my legs shot off and having so sit here HOTAS jerking off while my bro carts my rear end to medbay?

Didn't crobs say some type of poo poo like there's slaver/abduction/bountyhunter pods, and if you get caught in them he's not going to make you sit in it staring at the wall until they turn you in. Why would basically the same gimmick exist in a different form? Are they expecting me to get my balls blasted and I shoot my sidearm while somebody firman carries me running away? No way could they pull that off.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Turd Burglar posted:

Also remember there's a space news van

No way. There's no loving way they even have a jpg of this. This can't be real, even in the fevered dream reality that is SC

What does it even do?!? What could possibly be different between this and some starter ship? What the gently caress are you even telling me?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I can't formulate a response.

This is a looking cool design that would be interesting if they had some form of EWAR. How is it even supposed to work, you take pics and get money from space associated press?
I don't understand how the cockpit is supposed to work with this rotated wings deal. If you sit at the space computer does it set up space twitch where people log into their mobiglass and see what the camera sees with a little greenscreen of your character in the corner?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

earth's getting destroyed better jam my competitor's transmission and then kill him while reframing to obey the rule of thirds

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Nation posted:

who is trolling who here... fuzzy modem you snake

The hunter... has become, the hunted
*posthumously wins space Pulitzer*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Coffee whores let's make out I've got Ethiopian beans just came in

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

orcinus posted:

I'm a coffee rube whore.
Fancy african beanz are lost on me, because i can't stand sour/acidic, i.e. light roasted coffee.

And i don't mean i don't like it, i love the aroma.
But the acidity murders my stomach and kills the enjoyment.

Hmm. Dunno what advice to give, it's a difficult situation. Sumatran? Still really missing out.

Instead I'll give a coffee anecdote: I was in Hong Kong for work and got into a really in depth conversation about coffee with this guy. He was totally not into coffee and hated it, but he asked me what kind would be good to have, probably for "face" purposes (tbf I don't understand the orient and would do bad there, even though it's cool imo). I suggested Sumatran, and he wasn't familiar with the English term, so I explained it was Indonesian, an island in Indonesia.

Well he was NOT PLEASED by that concept and wanted some alternative so we talked about Kenyan for a minute. He said he'd get some and even got the name of it in Cantonese written down by the clerk so he could pick it up later, but if course it was all a charade.

Later that night I put on the news for shits and it turned out there were massive protests in Indonesia by workers for Chinese owned garment businesses. They wanted an insane, unreasonable raise from like 65¢ an hour to more than $1!

That's my coffee story, ps, Pacific Coffee beats the loving poo poo out of Starbucks burned poo poo beans

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
poo poo double post

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Metallic mug and exposed circuitry? Enjoy the lead poisoning.
But Sumatran tastes like that because of their unique soil composition and also they tend to adulterate it with ground up tigers

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
some of the richest & most flavorful coffees I've ever had came via French press
at least that's how I see it......

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I hope chris is able to give details on how smells will be made understandable by the player. it's important to understand the local environment intuitively

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Astroniomix posted:

The sabot contacts with the rails themselves.

+ look how perfectly they matched the color of the impactor

c'mon the surrounding crap doesn't do anything other than look cool. what the gently caress is the point of that blue bullshit
also as far as I know the amp rating is roughly equivalent to ten old style light bulbs. raw. loving. power.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Microwave squad vs shock squad, who would win?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I have seen true horror and it's croberts face.

procedural plantets lookin good

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Toysrme posted:

i do like a lot of the SC streamers. many of them have built up good communities.

i am not a real streamer, nor do i pander to people. i just call poo poo like it is. good & bad. facts are facts. opinions are opinions. generally (when it's not imbalance-commander) i've really enjoyed arena commander's combat. a lot of things i disagree with in it, but it's always moved over-all in directions im ok with.
at the same time, i asked for a refund (and have been constantly denied) when i played an early v2.0 build. it's absolutely, in no way shape or form what i pledged for & stood behind AFA a "universe".

but ya... it's a crashtastic, bogged down piece of horse-poo poo who's "finished artwork" areas (arc corp, crusader) DO NOT visually equal other AAA titles built for the new 1440p/4k/5k and higher gaming platforms. that's exactly what it is so that's exactly what i call it.

why does the game run like poo poo? i can show why, but can't help with the code.

There's a 6-frame except flying a connie in the PU/Crusader, bogged down to 27fps from GPUview trace / recording of everything passing through the windows kernal. Obviously the pair of GTX-980's being used have a ton of dead-time waiting on data from the CPU.
You can see the main thread completely clogged with some horse-poo poo (relating to actual ships. It scales not-bad with FPS human players, but is crushed with any human/AI ships in-use). So that 27fps bogged down from only one ship, I typically run 120-170fps. with 9 ships offline i still run >90fps.

People can "blame" Cryengine, but I also have traces of the demo in Crysis 3 at around 100fps and Rocket League at 500fps. Both traced with GPUview appear "textbook" examples from nvidia on how the CPU threaded work finishes and immediately is re-started for the next frame. So it's not "Cryengine" that's the major issue behind the threading issues post v1.1.5 (last summer), but "whatever CIG changed in that code-base merger".

I don't know anything but isn't the work supposed to be p evenly spread out across all processing units? Does the game poo poo itself and flip out because it just rams through a shitload of computations periodically instead of smooth and steadily crunching the numbers at all times? Or does it freak out just because it's garbage in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Chalks posted:

It's probably related to resource locking. One thread is having to wait for another to finish doing it's work before it's able to do anything because it's locking a resource that it needs. It's a really common problem in multi-threaded programming but obviously something you would assume would be sorted out when you're using an off the shelf engine like Cryengine. Shows that they've hosed things up internally to some degree.

The reason it's an issue is because it basically ignores most of the resources on your system. All that dead time on the graphs might as well not be there - instead of using two gpus, it looks like it's using half of one gpu. It runs slowly because it's only using a small portion of the available resources. It's the sort of performance you'd get if you're trying to run 4 copies of a game at once.

What the gently caress. So how is it that there's actual time where x resource is locked and no work is being performed on it?
At that point why don't you just put it into one gpu mode or some poo poo?

why would they even change how the engine does this kind of thing? Like what benefit would be obtained by loving with how poo poo renders? I can understand the physics of replacing people's skeletons with gallium but why would you want to change how that image gets to the screen?

• Locked thread