Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Good to see these people are still so brainwashed they can't see the rear end ramming they're getting.

I just really can't get over how they see any criticism at all as trolling and then call people children for making legitimate complaints about this piece of crap. Holy crap what the gently caress is wrong with these peoples brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

King of Cheeses posted:

Ahh 1950 - 1960. The golden age of the Fedora.

He probably got his history on the 50's-60's from Fallout.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Apparently Kickstarter did a thing where they found that 10% of successful kickstarters don't fulfill their promises.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2699251

The research was done by a third party and looked at 30,000 kickstarters.

Also at least like three different "big name" streamers I watch on Twitch have been like "I backed Star Citizen on Kickstarter but what the gently caress are they doing and why the gently caress is it taking so long?"

10% is honestly way better than I was expecting.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I love the infighting that is happening :allears:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

I love how pants-shittingly terrified they are that someone else would dare to interact with them in a video game or even on a message board in a disagreeable (to them) manner. How do these people function in the outside world where someone might dare to tell them "no" or "I'm sorry, your fursuit is not acceptable to wear to the office for casual Friday"?

They don't function, you're looking at barely functioning people. Most are likely on disability and haven't left their homes in years.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Iridium posted:

Hey so Amazon released their own free engine. it's based on cryengine.

http://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/downloads/

Are we going to see a Facebook game engine soon? Maybe a Google game engine? Why do these companies that have never had anything to do with gaming or gaming development before think they can just throw their money at it and be successful? I mean for fucks sake they chose to build it off of CryEngine, that's evidence enough they're a gaggle of morons.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Actually Amazon have been doing game development/design for themselves and with indie devs for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com#Amazon_Games

Mostly mobile by the looks but at least they have some experience, so maybe not all bad? Maybe they tore out enough of the standard CryEngine that it'll work better.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

This guy using our internal LOD test build made a bunch of movies while testing all planetary aircraft. I wanted to show you guys what correct physics looks like when done right.

In this movie, he flies into the base, then bails. Watch the shuttle.

https://youtu.be/z8yfgcdxJAs?list=PL8MwWuXWwAA5JRtL0uvlw342UO7Iilv_z&t=90

7 years + $150M

You're planning to fix the camera right? It's way too rigid following the spacecraft.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Ok, I get that Wing Commander is higher than all Admirals because of Croberts' ego, but why the blue blazes is Lt. Commander higher than Admiral?

Because he's a loving idiot?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Kavak posted:

I have yet to see anyone who really hates Steam give a coherent explanation as to why they are so awful.

That's because the only real problems they have is poo poo customer service, everything else is fine.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

intardnation posted:

DRM, No customer service, up till a little while ago no refunds, anti consumer, early access garbage, unity asset flips.
Screwed up market place at times, paid mods (reversed) etc. currency issues

Just off the top.

Paid mods are going to happen and at first I was angry about too but thinking on it more it sounds like not that bad of an idea. You'd even begin to see businesses grow around modding, where people can be hired to put the time and effort into creating complete and robust mods for various games. Kneejerk reactions to things because they're different is no way to be.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I don't get how these people think the games industry hasn't changed in the 20 years since croberts was last relevant, the mind boggles :psyduck:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

SA has 200k users and all of them read this thread apparently.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Toops posted:

Great post. There's a corollary I'd like to add to this: New technology tends to add complexity and increase dependency on older technology made long ago for a different reason.

This, everything is built on 30-40 year old band-aids that will never be fixed and were never intended to operate for this long.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

They keep pushing the "It's an Alpha!" line, but here's the thing - people are not new to Alphas. The cultists trumpet this viewpoint as if SC is the first ever game to allow plebs to peer behind the curtain and see a game at this stage of development, but that's a bunch of bullshit. People today have access to pre-alphas, alphas, betas, poo poo even really early access titles that have almost no content at all. And in every case, except Star Citizen, you can see that even if the game is buggy, or featureless, that underneath it is an engine that will eventually be built and polished into a completed game.

Star Citizen is the only alpha title I've ever experienced where minutes into the "game" I was able to say, with considerable confidence, "Nope. This isn't gonna work." You can tell from a million things that this foundation is literally crumbling under its own weight, and even the few parts that work, don't really work the way they should. It's broken on a very fundamental level, and no amount of bugfixes will ever result in what they're pitching. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 - all poo poo. I'm glad to see that CIG can count, but they sure as poo poo can't make a game.

This is what I've been thinking. This game is so fundamentally flawed and to put really terrible management with it, this game wont come out in any meaningful way. They'll try to salvage something most likely and claim some group of reasons as to why the game had to be limited but they'll call it complete.

Also the wet fart that SQ42 is going to be.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Turd Burglar posted:

I dunno what a funnier, the audiophile slapfight or the card game dudes ripping off people's art

Audiophiles and CIG go very well together, why not both? One sells you a jpeg for $3,000 and the other sells you rocks to set on your speakers to make them sound better.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Turd Burglar posted:

I've had positive experiences with monster cables and sound rocks

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

http://annathetekken.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-treasure-hunter-215228879

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Space Skeleton posted:

Glad they are gonna model the power being carried around the ship and have fuses blow from power surges which require you to go replace the fuses. Just wouldn't be a good game without that. Also that will totally make it into the game and is not bullshit he just made up on the spot.

Knowing him he's going to want them to actually implement a SPICE-like system, loving idiot.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I feel like thinking everyone who doesn't agree with you is some singular individual is on par with schizophrenia and thinking everyone around you is actually robots or aliens that have replaced everyone you know.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

I am on p2788.

When I get to the current last page (2798) that I am on now, for every loving Ryan Archer post that I see, I won't post for 1 day. e.g. if I see 10 posts after p2798, that's 10 days that I won't post.

And when I do come back, I will start reading from page count + number of days. Which means that every thing that came before, I will neither read, nor respond to.

So yeah, you loving idiots need to stop with this Ryan Archer poo poo and go create another thread for it.

That is all.

How about you go gently caress yourself. The only thing bigger than Lesnick is your loving ego.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Don't care, only care about what brings the most laughs, it's all hilarious, it's a bunch of self-inflated egos in a dick waving contest, with croberts being the loudest with his $112 million disaster and it's hilarious.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Solomonic posted:

did anybody ever figure out the sum total of how much the space doors cost

I think it was $20k for the doors and possibly $400k for the building permits and everything legal that goes along with it because of fire safety and things?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

STIMSIS posted:

some really stupid crap none of us give a poo poo about

:allears:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

You're literally the only one in here that cares about goon valor, whatever the hell that is.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Lladre posted:

Cost of living is radically different depending on where you live/work.

Play money also ranges. I do not understand how some people can't grasp that a certain sum of money to one person is a mortgage payment, and to another person it was last night's dinner tab.

Yes there are people spending their mortgage in fake ships and that's sad, but there are also people spending what amounts to last night's dinner and they don't give a gently caress because they don't have to.

It's like I tell people at the lunch table when upper management spend their cash on things. It's their play money, they can spend it however they want. You wouldn't want someone telling you how to spend your play money.

Because people that would waste that kind of money on stupid bullshit while others are literally starving in the streets should be the first against the wall and executed in the middle of the streets.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Why are there walls in the middle of the street?

They were built for that purpose.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Elite Dangerous is at least a game, so you know, it has that for sure. Star Citizen is still in "lovely Prototype you wouldn't want to show your friends" territory.

4.5 years.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

From my experience the only vets you get that wear crap like that and parade around are ones that never saw combat. All the vets I know that saw combat are just humble about that poo poo and hope nobody ever has to see it.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Anything good happen? Did the patch ever drop? I'm guessing no? Lots of questions?

Question mark?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I'll be so glad once people stop giving a poo poo about old game developers. poo poo has changed way too much for them to be relevant at all anymore.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

are these tiny rear end boards any real use? I'd love to dropkick this desktop poo poo right the gently caress outta here, but if I can't boot up into the 'verse then it's dead in the water

If you only do basic internet and email stuff like most people then they're fine. They mostly get used for small embedded systems though.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

This is the best game I never paid for.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Propagandist posted:

What success? I don't have any success here. I'm just watching this train wreck.

But please let me know how to be successful. After all, you gave new meaning to 4K gaming.

edit: as an alternative, just watch that bunny chomp. chomp chomp chomp.

The greatest show on Earth! Watch as an out of touch 90's game developer with no redeeming qualities blows $115M with no oversight!

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He's an idiot anyways. If you had no other source of light, you'd use a flashlight. The cardinal rule of "don't aim at stuff [...] destroy blah blah" is dumb if you're in a combat zone. If your standard firearm requires two hands to carry, you're kinda obligated to point your gun where your light is going, unless you really want to use your sidearm in the opening movement of an engagemargh these loving shitizens are so dumb!

You're still trained to not aim at anything you don't intend to destroy in the infantry as of 2010 at least. There are a lot of rules to follow when it comes to engagement, and that's part of trying to maintain or develop a professional military. Also we always wore three point slings so we just let our rifles rest against our chest if we needed to use our hands. The sling kept it in a position it was quick to engage if need be.

Star Citizen can't even get 2010 tech in their space game, see also drones and remote operated turrets.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

wyoak posted:

Meh, WW2-style is about as advanced as you can make dogfighting and still have it be compelling from a gameplay perspective, I don't hold that against them.

I don't agree with this at all, you can make compelling technologically advanced combat. It's not going to be dogfighting as we think of it, but close engagement with advanced tech is totally doable with even a little imagination, which Chris has none.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

LCL-Dead posted:

Coming to this from 5 pages back: What branch were you "infantry" in?

When I went through training the thought was, in any situation where unknowns were present, you had your weapon up and at the ready while moving through a house/building and really only deviated from that position to avoid extreme flagging of your squad mates. If we moved into a house and needed to utilize our flashlights for any number of reasons, it was violence of action and not sneaking around in the dark that kept us alive. The flashlights stayed on.

It was also incredibly rare to see someone actually using the issued 3 point sling when a one-point provided the same maneuverability without the potential for becoming snagged or looped in your gear.

172nd mountain infantry attached to the 10th mountain divison. We were a company sized element that did a lot of training on assaulting mountains and cliffs and operating at night with nods or red light at most, we always avoided regular flashlights, at least when I was in. Maybe things have changed by now. We were trained to do room clearing and urban assault stuff but we were mostly mountain men.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

fargom posted:

If star citizen does come out, won't goons just dominate it like EVE? I mean imagine something like burn Jita but with this "pvp slider" community. I don't see a possible "lose" situation for the goonies on this one, checkmate commando 09.

Goons find a way.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Foo Diddley posted:

Dude why were you even reading this reddit

Also why has the thread moved so much since this. What did CIG do this time?

The shitizen's are losing it more than usual and becoming more of a liability to CIG than normal. poo poo's going to be hilarious when it finally goes tits up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Foo Diddley posted:

Doesn't answer the question: why was forums poster Ghostlight spending time on /r/DeliciousTraps?

The only options are either he was going back through someone else's posts or he's into that.

• Locked thread