Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

",,,would be neat if this included even just one PG rocky planet to land on sometime in the next year. omg,,, that would be so amazing:D"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"Right now, Ascent has a review up on Steam by a player who logged over 2,000 hours in the game. And he gave it a thumbs-down."

From the developer of a space MMO called ascent.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just loving love the idea of all these idiots scoffing at the idea of Elite Dangerous so they can talk on a forum instead. It's got like 50% of what they want already!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If you've worked hard enough to afford all that poo poo then you know what, more power to you, not surprised he can't show his face though....poor guy.

The most awkward thing about this is the craigslist ad he had to put out to get someone to film him.

"Help Wanted ($250, 2 hours)

Need someone to film gaming rig. Do not look at face. Do not look at eyes. No questions. Payment will come inside limited edition elite dangerous model Anaconda which you will smash to extract resources from."

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can you imagine how much money they would have made if they hired Olivia Munn instead of Olivia Munn on meth? 150 mill easy.

Also can you imagine being on of the guys who programmed the Crytek engine having to look at Roberts' code vomit that he puts out nightly?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

wyoak posted:

lol Roberts isn't coding anything

They probably give him something sandboxed and pretend to implement it like when a kid makes play doh food for you and you pretend to try it and it's the best goddamn thing you've ever eaten.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Amazing. That 4th Stimpire whipped around from being creepy serial killer poo poo back around to being hilarious because it was so over the top.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Goddamn I love that movie.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's like the laziest character design ever.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"If there's one thing the Vanduul has taught us is that without victory there can be no survival!"

Like, at least reference some epic space battles that have happened and show some space action that happened at them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I thought the real issue was that they're trying to implement physics inside the ship instead of handwaving inertial dampers or whatever magic would keep people from rocketing across the ship. And that's why the ships keep on loving up.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What the hell was Star Marine supposed to be, anyway, call of duty in space?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just find it amazing that they tried to develop 3 separate games at once.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I'm assuming that Illfonic had a bad contract that gave them a completion bonus and didn't have a good buyout clause. It would make sense they were booted out of making Star Marine so that CIG could save money and salvage what was left. The statement they put on their webpage about the project was not even thinly veiled.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is there an engine around that could have made what they planned for this game feasible?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Berious posted:

Once Frontier get multicrew working I'd say Elite would have most of SCs unique selling points actually working. Apart from the most pie in the sky stuff like space research ships, mixing drinks and molestation.

Yeah. It looks like No Man's Sky might actually end up being entertaining for 30-40 hours. I still want to give Elite a chance since everyone else has supported it through its most boring moments, by the time I get my desktop built I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hav posted:

There's some argument that the engines matured during the 'development' of SC, but considering that they'd settled on cryengine before CRoberts started agreeing with every half-arsed wishlist item. Fundamentally the issue is that you have to heavily modify frameworks to do what you want if the feature that you want doesn't already exist, and even after Crytek offering a hand, they still don't have a physics engine worth a drat.

The other aspect is that they're looking for deep grognard level fidelity on things that are a menu option in other games, so rather than simply paying for your ship to get repaired, you'll have some sperg telling you that the interociter is buggered, and they don't make them for this ship anymore, but I have a mate breaking one of these two systems over. Mechanisms have received concept art, but no *actual* design.

Weirdly, they probably would have been better rolling something by hand, but went the route of the pre-built engine because *speed*.

As far as fidelity, my favorite thing is the door that they passed off as part of a corridor because they didn't feel like making a proper model.

Now that I think about it, cheap jury rigged space ships like something out of Mad Max in space would have made for an interesting faction design. Not Mass Effect but blander.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tippis posted:

UE4 seems capable enough at this point. There are local physics plugins and middleware, and every version of UE has had some kind of reasonably competent vehicle-based game come out of it. Hell, if they could have been satisfied with cheating it, UnrealEngine 1-style portals could have been used to create the seamless feel they're going for.

The engine is mature, even if it's a new version, as are the various asset pipelines needed to stuff it with content. The development community and knowledge pool is absolutely massive, should they come across some technical issue.

…but of course, with the kind of management and “development” processes CIG has displayed, nothing short of a self-building game would allow them to actually complete what they've promised. The choice of engine is just another bad and self-defeating management decision among many.

Actually that would have been a brilliant solution, portals that only allow objects coated with a certain substance to pass through so suits, cargo containers, etc. could instantly transport outside and you wouldn't have to worry about air locks.

You could also make a few giant ones and handwave them away as prohibitively expensive to make in a large scale so you could use them in hub locations to move ships.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

A really great explanation about how they are 5 years too early to make this happen

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

When this collapses my dream is that Michael Lewis writes a book about it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That reminds me, they still think you died in the Xbox sharktank pgab, you should go say hi.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh man I forgot about the xbone sharktank

Microsoft has really slowed down all their hilarious missteps and seems to have accepted the death spiral of the system. I love catastrophic missteps in marketing/pr/communications and it was great for awhile. This one is by far the best around, though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I want a space sim where the space ships are truly futuristic but I really doubt there would be a lot of room for dogfights

It just doesn't seem like something that will be a thing

Well it would be like a modern aerial battle where you can't even physically see the target you're engaging so it would be really, really boring.

Also I miss Freespace 2.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

This thread makes me feel a lot better about my job (that I currently hate) because at least I am not gluing fake spaceships together with doors for a fat narcissist and a diagnosable psychopath.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The gift cards cost more than what they're worth?

I have never, ever seen that before.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

There was a "stir" about it. The gift cards are now "fixed". lol

And there were people defending the 20% cost added.

I was just thinking that since most of this stuff is handled client side it's going to be hilarious when people are spawning $2500 ships for free.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why is the VP of Marketing trying to act, do communications, and working customer service

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If she's the untrained VP of marketing and she doesn't have 50 hours of that to do a week, she isn't doing her job and doesn't know how it works.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why do spaceships need a runway, why do none of those people have spacesuits in their spaceships, why is there gravity on the outside of the spaceship.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 20, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So do you just target one shield generator subsystem or do you have to hit 6?

It might be easier to just EVA and hijack the ship since I'm assuming they haven't engineered shields to detect player characters yet.

Edit: Actually if they did and it launched you I would probably buy the game in 3 years after Gearbox comes in to rush it out the door.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm just saying, if shields deflected players and you could knock people off landing pads like ping pong paddles or wait for them to eject and then ram them and send them flying it would be a core gameplay mechanic that could sustain me for weeks.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think they're still pretending that ships will land on atmospheric worlds where aerodynamics will actually matter.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's gonna be hilarious if they ever try to implement any sort of physics based flight model like that. Because you know it's not going to be a gradual atmosphere, it's going to be 0-100 once ships cross the threshold and they're going to crash hilariously.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

All I could think of with that noodle vending machine comment was when I panicked in Deus Ex: HR and grabbed a vending machine and murdered a bunch of machine gun dudes by throwing it across the room at them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What was that game with the 16 bitish graphics that looked like a lot of fun? It was like that one you just posted but it had combat

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Problem is that a LOT of people are VERY upset about how the development and company are going, but can't say/do anything about it.

And those people are talking among themselves, not knowing who is talking to others (friends, family, industry contacts, media) outside of the enclave that is CIG/RSI.

They KNOW that this game has zero chance of being completed; and that when it all goes to poo poo, it's going to be a huge poo poo stain on their resumes, their rep and stuff they can't even talk about on the record (outside of a lawsuit in which they will be compelled to talk) because talking anon leaves a lot of room for people to make light of their plight.

Unfortunately for CIG/RSI execs (Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ortwin, Simon), there is only so much that they can keep a lid on, due to the fact that other people HAVE to be privy of certain company ops and decisions.

ps: I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.

Wowwwwww

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

I want to believe we live in a world where someone has to approach the VP of marketing of a $100million+ project with the dreaded words "Major Tom has posted a new video."

Don't you mean Mark Strong's leading lady?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

As far as I know Kate Capshaw was actually an actress and only started dating Spielberg after filming started, not before.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also let's be fair, Indiana Jones has never had amazingly well written female parts in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

runsamok posted:

All the cake!

Well they knew each other pretty well at that point and got separate cakes so they wouldn't provoke their food aggression.

• Locked thread