Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

Also, based on how absolutely wrong his statements about what features would not be included in 2.0 were, either he's just making stuff up and hoping to be right, or his sources are just stringing him along intentionally with wrong information.

Please show me the list of 2.0 features that you claim I posted. I'll wait. While setting my browser to auto-refresh so I don't miss your response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I don't know, he claimed 2.0 was going to be a janky unstable mess, and so far he looks pretty spot on.

Exactly. I just asked him to tell me what "list" he claims I posted. I never - ever - posted any such list. I said that my sources told me that 2.0 was NOT ready and that if they released it, that it would be a buggy mess and only released because of the anniversary.

That's precisely what happened.

Also, all the "features" that Chris rattled off, is now proven to be pure bullshit because I just wanted two entire streams and NONE of this is in it.

quote:

Anyway, the 3 year anniversary livestream is over. I did a live Tweet (I was just doing some harmless trolling and having a blast, really) which you can view by starting with this first tweet and working your way down. Some of it is hilarious I think.

I also later watched some guy play the 2.0 release in the PTU and as expected it wasn't ready for production release. Lots of glitches, crashes, not much "game" etc.

I am going to be writing up a synopsis over the weekend, but as I tweeted a month ago, they had to release something for this anniversary, as well as to show some progress. Even if it wasn't ready. And that's exactly what they did. So like Arena Commander, the hangar and ArcCorp social/planetside module, we now have yet another broken piece of the puzzle.

Also, it's being stagger released to only 1000 people to start.

He also said that it's limited to 12-16 ships; though it's not clear how many player clients that entails, given the multi-crew nature of some ships.

Also, the stream started around 2PM EST and they spent over 2.5 hrs on selling JPEGs, talking about SQ42, Mark Hamill, MoCap etc. They spent roughly the last 27 mins on 2.0. And no live stream 2.0 game play by the devs. The full TwitchTV stream should be up soon.

Below are the items that Chris announced are coming in 2.0. Of course he doesn't say <em>when</em>. I may need to update this once the recorded stream goes up and I can review it more carefully.

===
20 encounters (not sure what that even means. are they missions?)

8 dogfighting missions

8 research missions

1 exploration mission

1 on-going battle in the background

1 wreckage in asteroid belt

1 station with PvP (fps presumably)

Security area (not sure which location) is PvP for fps and you can pick up weapons, recharge etc

You can repair ships

You can heal players and group (?) with others

Mobi-glass

Access to Crusader region which has 3 moons, 3 stations and an asteroid belt

You can fly ships such as Avenger, Retaliator, Constellation, and Vanguard

New flight models (we already knew about this from dev logs)

You can now EVA from the ship. This was shown at CitizenCon

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Kronok posted:

Did your source(s) tell you 2.0 was coming today or was this a surprise?

Yes. I posted about that here, and in my Twitter feed weeks ago and again a few days ago.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Loiosh posted:

It's looking pretty nice. Buggy, as expected, but now that they fixed the streaming issue with the server that guy looks like he's having fun. I finished the first 2 missions in AC: Syndicate. It's a beautiful looking game, glad Nvidia got their drivers fixed today!

I followed that dude, will be interesting to see how things go over the next few weeks. I'll admit, I'm still completely shocked they just dropped 2.0 on the PTU. I really did not expect it for a few more weeks.

So you didn't believe me when I said it was dropping in time for the anniversary? Shame on you.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Yup just the absolute bare minimum to be able to have headlines saying they 'Launched 2.0'

Yes. Which is precisely what I was going on about

Nov 2nd: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/661306828568023040

Nov 5th: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/662384623880642560

Nov 17th: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/666661407144955905

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=177&perpage=40#post45223539

You specifically said it would not include FPS (wrong), would contain only one new ship (wrong), there would be nothing tangibly new (wrong), and that it wouldn't have "anything previously promised (see below) in it" which included EVA (wrong), Missions (wrong), Large World (wrong), Multicrew (wrong), and the Zone streaming system (unknown if active or not).

You're making GBS threads me, right?

1) I was talking about the *new* Star Marine fps (combat, weapons etc as seen in GamesCom, CitizenCon) they canned and rolled into the PU. No, it's not there. The fps in there is the same one.
2) It does only contain one new ship. The Crucible. The Archimedes is not new. It's a variant of an existing ship. Look it up.
3) There is nothing "persistent" about this 2.0 release. Or you don't know what that even means
4) I didn't say anything about EVA
5) The 2.0 just released, has no missions in it
6) The 2.0 just released doesn't have the large world promised. In fact, go check their own star map to see what they just released
7) Multi-crew isn't working in the 2.0 just now released
8) There is no zone streaming because there are no zones in this 2.0 release. It's all one large area

Quoted again for context:

quote:

Well that's precisely what is playing out atm.

I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)
I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.
That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it
Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

And whatever they release as 2.0 is purely designed as more smoke and mirrors to show "progress". So it will be a buggy mess in PTU until well into 2016. Lest you forget, AC is still a buggy mess. And whatever it is they currently have in the PTU is best not even discussed. Remember, they still can't even get buggies to work right.

And this is everything that Chris - TODAY - said was in 2.0.

quote:

8 dogfighting missions

8 research missions

1 exploration mission

Security area (not sure which location) is PvP for fps and you can pick up weapons, recharge etc

You can repair ships

Mobi-glass

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 20, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Danknificent posted:

I come to you now despite a solemn oath to never cave and 9.95; I only wanted to lurk this thread from the shadows until CIG and SC were only a bad memory.

But I have to show support for this Loiosh character. His optimism borders on implausibility, but by god if he isn't the most civilized dude I have ever seen on the internet.

Be strong, Loisosh. Even as all us lurkers wait impatiently for SC to implode, we're all silently cheering you on while clinging stubbornly to our 9.95.

Yes, I speak for all lurkers.

I agree. And most of us said it several days ago. The guy is an absolute class act. If this thing ever turns to a game, I would definitely have him as my wingman.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

AP posted:

I'm so confused, this isn't large world with the new 64 bit thingy whatsit zone magic?

No.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

It absolutely is, as seen here as recently as the Gamescom presentation:

That's bullshit.

Plain English: "as large as" is not the same as "is"

This 2.0 is the first - early - iteration of the the 2.0 code branch. Not to be confused with the - soon to be trashed - legacy 1.0x branch (which includes the still-lovely AC, Hangar, Social/Planetside module)

This 2.0 is not - I repeat - not the PU promised.

Which is precisely why my sources tell me that it wasn't ready to be released.

Everything Chris promised today, is NOT in it; but will be added on top of it "at some point". Chris, as usual, just rattled off a laundry list of bullshit for the fans.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

I know a game that does all of this....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345580/

...and then some. Without even getting into the crew management aspects.

Here's the manual, commands and tutorial docs for the brave at heart.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Loiosh posted:

I posted that a few pages back. If they failed to get 2.0 out by the middle of december. If I cannot play a Connie by then and have my friend join me, that's when I'll be done with SC. If they hit that delivery, then I'll be happy with the progress. I have a different perspective from the zeitgeist here, which is why my perspective is confusing.

Also, I need to head to bed!

So going by the 2.0 non-release (I did say that it won't be ready, but they'd release it for anni anyway), are we to assume then that if none of the above happens by Dec 15th, you're done? You do realize that's like, 3 weeks away, right?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

1500 posted:

You then followed it up by saying 3 years of development. So you are saying that a working Demo and 1 million spent in that year is preproduction? Wow, so you might as well discount the year after the kickstarter as well, as less was produced. Hey look at that SC has only been in development for 2 years, they really are not that far behind.

Considering CR counted that year as part of development, I think its safe to assume that it was actual development. But you can stretch preproduction to as long as you want if that makes you feel better.

Yes. And according to my sources, they (Chris, Sandra, Ortwin) paid themselves from the crowd-funded money for "prior work + expenses". Which means that we can't even toss that 1yr away. These are some of the things we hope to uncover soon.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I did the math based on the average wages of employees per studio and they've spent like 30 million dollars of their 95 million dollar budget, not accounting for the motion capture/voice acting (which is completely out of my area of expertise). I couldn't be less concerned with their finances.

As for their stability in massive settings, speculation is pointless until they actually show it off (which is supposed to be in 2 weeks, right?)

Are you on drugs? If so, what kind?

They're burning through around $25m a year. Not to mention all the ancillary experiences they've burned through on bullshit.

And you're calculating employee and contractor payments only; with numbers you pulled out of someone's rear end.

Meanwhile, there are those of us with access to information that is 100% irrefutable.

You think they're just crazily raising money because, well, they can? No. It's because they must. As in, they have no choice.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

mcjomar posted:

Question:

They've filed for Foundry 42 in the UK - have they filed for the other UK based companies that were behind on their taxes?

No. My people are checking every frigging day. Nothing yet.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

blueberrysmith posted:

Did they post somewhere what was actually supposed to be "new" in this 2.0 release? It looks a lot like all the other leaked footage I've seen.

Yeah, I have a list here. It's all bullshit.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=447#post452936626

After thinking about it, I finally figured out wtf Chris was rambling about incoherently. He wasn't actually saying this would be in the "PTU 2.0". He said that it was "coming to PTU 2.0". The YouTube of the stream isn't up yet so I can verify exactly how he worded it.

If my theory is true, then we're right back with the whole AC fiasco whereby, 18 months later, it's a loving mess. So this 2.0 is going to have the same fate. Which means what he promised here, probably won't be in for another six months. Assuming they survive past Q1/16

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

1500 posted:

Well CR stated that he would be reimbursed for his expenses for that first year. This happened when SC hit the 20 million TOTALLY FUNDED mark, just for CR to state nope sorry we forgot about taxes and I need my money back. And so the new goal was 23 million.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about and the primary reason why only idiots would try to discard that first year when in fact money was spent on the "game". Nobody gives a poo poo if it was a concept, production demo - or all of it tossed. Money (backers or not) was spent and for this project, so I 100% has to count. Only idiots keep trying to put this through revisionist history.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

To be honest I laughed in the tutorial where you explain how to do inter-system jumps and there's an experienced commander method and a "man-child" method. Old school.

hahaha. yeah, that's how I used to roll back in the day.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

SirTagz posted:

Btw has anyone tried Alt-TAB in SC? I dont care enough to install but wondering...

Last I checked, it worked just fine. YMMV

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

RuckusRouser posted:

Derek, do you know of any reason why Sandi is suddenly pushing the "I am married to Chris" thing in such a hardcore manner? Between the anniversary flowers tweet and suddenly wearing a ring that she hasn't ever worn in public appearances, including her CitCon reveal speech, it seems REALLY odd.

Yeah, I've been pondering that one for some time now. I got nuthin' but theories.

The thing to remember is that these people apparently harp on everything I post and/or say. And since they have people who scan Goon enclave for meaty morsels to send back to the mother ship, my guess is that they are trying to address any appearance of doubt, in the public domain.

It's no different from back when I started harping about her non-credentials. Then she subsequently didn't post, you know, actual credentials (which she doesn't have), but part (you couldn't see the masthead) of a letter from what appears to be from an undergrad program at what is the equivalent of a technical college for us folks in the US.

Also, after $95m shoved into a train wreck, and seeing as she was an "actress" prior to Star Citizen, one could assume that riding the "I'm married to Chris Roberts, creator of Star Citizen" hype train is good for Hollywood cred. Especially if she's now standing in the same room, talking to and breathing the same air with the likes of Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill et al. Something that - outside of Star Citizen - would never ever have happened to an "actress" of her caliber. Other than fetching coffee maybe. Remember, she was an intern at Ascendant Pictures where she met Chris.

She is an opportunist. So this is just part of that.

When this poo poo show crashes - as I have no doubt that it will before long - she still has Hollywood because something like Star Citizen is a once in a lifetime kinda deal. The sort of thing that only an incompetent rear end like Chris Roberts, could blow with impunity.

As I've said before, if one or more of these people done get brought up on charges by the Feds when this explodes, I will be very - very - surprised.

ps: No, she's neither fluent in French, nor German. I have it on first-hand authority how/where she got German lessons.

SirPhoebos posted:

From what I understand, they tried to cover up the fact they were married for reasons we can only speculate, Derek called them out at some point, and her response has been " WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT IVE NEVER TRIED TO COVER UP MY MARITAL STATUS!"

Yes. Pretty much.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 20, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If sandi and chris get divorced does she take half of CIG with her?

Yes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

FPS is in, as it turns out- gameplay for anyone not following streams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7m98VWBEA

He actually shoots the drat gun at around 7:30. It looks pretty... rudimentary, but really it's about all I was expecting in a first release. It's not the pillar on which the game is supposed to be built, just a supporting aspect. Still waiting on multi-crew.

Danknificent posted:

That didn't look too bad at all. Far from perfect, but if that was the first thing I ever saw from Star Citizen, and someone told me it was pre-alpha, I'd probably be sold.

Yeah, well it's now flagged as private. Fake?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

RuckusRouser posted:

Derek, I JUST explained how to watch recently streamed videos on Twitch. For someone who claims to be so technical, even the simplest things go over your head sometimes.

Recording is here:
http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/26605051

Talk about 2.0 stuff starts at around 3:10:00

Thanks. I didn't know TwitchTV allowed that. It has nothing to do with technical prowess. It's just ignorance of how it worked.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

ShredsYouSay posted:

Ey Derek, do you want to make something or judge for the Something Awful gamedev contest next year? It's usually a lot of fun, and I think you would do a good job as one of the presenters for the gong show.

If you do, I will send you British foods.

Last year for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXn2dtPNNJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXC5iCdDm8Q

I don't mind judging. PM me details. I'm in.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

well it depends on the accuracy you need between values, but say you wanted 0.0005 (half-thousandths) and you had a big ol' single space with quad precision coordinates, the largest value you could have with that accuracy is:

which if we treat that as meters, is equal to just slightly more than 535,963,096,677,217 light years

I was going to hold off until I finished my research, but the jittering people are seeing, are specifically the sort of problem that going to full bore 64-Bit addressing was supposed to solve.

The fact that it's still happening, when you move too far from an origin (e.g. planet, base, any object) in this v2.0 release, leads me to believe that they've probably done what I did back in the day.

cheat

As I tweeted this morning, this is done by going the (32-bit * 2) route, whereby you use a 32-Bit positional reference for that fixed object, then treat the player position as a 32-Bit value by using that fixed object as a reference.

It's messy. It's rudimentary. OMG! And it can/will break everything. And some of these out-of-nowhere-in-space crashes people are getting are the very symptoms you should expect.

That's why I abandoned it and went pure 64-Bit positional referencing. From my code review that I checked this morning, I did that back in 2000 for Battlecruiser Millennium which was the sequel to the original Battlecruiser 3000AD (two releases in 1996, 1999).

But it can work - depending on what you want to do. And if they had to do this, it all goes back to the core of the CryEngine3 code base because even with a custom engine, you are still at the mercy of the underlying architecture. And going as deep as I think they are doing now, you may as well just write your own engine from day one. That's how serious this problem is and is precisely what sparked my first blog back in July when I saw it mentioned in one of their dev updates.

A contact of mine was actually the first one to bring it to my attention this morning when he messaged me on Facebook. In our discussion, I refused to even believe that they would do that. Aside from the obvious implications (misleading the fan base, making false statements etc), it would most definitely mean that they simply - cannot - build the game at the world scope promised. I also told him that I can't imagine any of those engineers doing anything (lying intentionally) of the sort. That being, touting full bore 64-Bit addressing, then actually going with what amounts to a glorified (and expensive, complicated) hack.

I then checked their latest dev blogs, went back and re-read the previous ones; and didn't see any indication whereby they made any mention of doing this "hack".

And they may have done it if they felt that it would get them something sooner, rather than later. Then maybe fix it down the road. In other words, it's a quick fix to a very serious problem. And it would make sense as long as SQ42 doesn't actually take place in the full game world that has this size/position problem. Since nobody (at least to my knowledge) yet knows what section of the game world SQ42 actually takes place in, it would stand to reason that if they are trying to get SQ42 out ahead of Star Citizen in 2016, then it would be in their best interest to do this hack in the short-term, get SQ42 out, then go back and do it properly.

Which goes back to what I said earlier that the v2.0 branch they are now merging from and which will ultimately deprecate the current v1.0x, is going to be in the same sordid state as that v1.0x, for months to come.

I will know more once I get to dig into the game files with the help of some people I know; but this is the sort of technical poo poo that interests me. And if it reveals - yet again - that we're dealing with a bunch of lying scumbags - nothing will give me more pleasure that to force them to come clean. Again. Bear in mind that I have nothing but the utmost respect for the truly talented engineers who are tasked with pulling off this "vision 2.0" pipe-dream. Sadly, they're caught in the middle of this poo poo and are the casualties of a war that's going to be waging until one of two things happens: 1) they fail and fold 2) they succeed and deliver the game Chris promised

More soon.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Loiosh posted:

Sounds good. If it helps I've been following closely with Derek's outlook on things. We may not agree on the state, but I have listened to him and it's why I've been sitting on the sidelines since his first article in June/July.

Most here may disagree with my outlook, but I've been straight-forward and honest of my perspective, predictions and outlook and am happy to admit when I am wrong, as I did with Beer last night.

I believe in admitting to my mistakes, though I guess action will prove that over words. So assuming they make it to 2017, and assuming they get what I want by the middle of December 2015, I'll be here posting my thoughts on it. Including if I give up and ask for my money back.

You sir, are the better man.

I still have no clue why you're here though? I mean, seriously, look around you. Do you actually see anyone here who is even remotely anything but a clown chasing lols?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

G0RF posted:

I'm all for critiquing Sandi on qualification claims, competence issues, and alleged toxic mistreatment issues. There's more than enough gold in them thar mines for a lifetime of tragicomic riches. But speculations / allegations about her sexual misdeeds even in jest almost make me feel defensive on her behalf. Aim higher than libeling her for fictive sexual misbehavior, mate. Satirization is richer and more rewarding and makes for guilt-free LOLs, too...

I agree. Some things should be off-limits.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Loiosh posted:

Honest answer: This is the most active chat about SC in a place I like. Reddit is a bit circle jerky for me. So when I'm all chatty, I can find people to chat with.

Once my interest wanes again, I'll be quiet and lurking for another bit. What's best though, is having excellent posts like you and Beer writing a lot of detail. I enjoy learning and well written posts, so you guys are a big part of it.

It helps temper my excitement to see the other point of view. That way I'm always getting a good balance of perspective.

All good points. But seriously, many (just ask Karl) have snapped. Like right off the bat gone outright mental, postal and every variation thereof once they find resistance to their rhetoric. Even when we're just outright trolling them, they take it so seriously that, well, you've seen the results.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

DreadLlama posted:

Re: 32/32 hack. Is this a "It can be done, just not by them" / competence issue, or an "in addition to serious practical issues there are also problems with their underlying theory and what they are attempting to accomplish may in fact be physically impossible" kind of thing?

Like is this some sort of butterfly effect/chaos theory thing going on where the act of trying to get consistent values derived from a pair of floating point thingies is just unlikely and therefore errors of this nature are a fundamental part of our universe, or is it more like their code is bad?

It's not that complicated really. It's just a matter of :

quote:

Chris: What the gently caress is this poo poo!?!?

Engineer:

1) this is the problem

2) this is how to fix it

3) this is how long it will take to fix it

4) these are the problems we're going to face IF we fix it

5) these are the problems we're going to face IF we don't fix it

Chris: Go fix it:

Engineer: you do realize that if we do this, we're like hosed for like over a year, right?

Chris: Go fix it:

Engineer: OK then

Chris: (over a year later): Is it fixed?

Engineer: No

Chris: Why the Holy gently caress not?

Engineer: Well, remember 3 & 4? We're there now

Chris: gently caress! Any short-term solutions?

Engineer: Yeah. There is a plan 2B, but it's more hosed and isn't guaranteed to solve the problem fully

Chris: Do it

Engineer: OK

Chris (six months later): Why is 2.0 not ready?

Engineer: Remember Plan 2B? We tried it. Still poo poo. But we're working on it.

Chris: Anniversary sale is coming up, that rear end-clown Derek Smart has been making noise. We need to prove him wrong and released 2.0!

Engineer: OK

Chris (Nov 2015): Why is 2.0 not ready?

Engineer: Remember Plan 2B? We're still trying. Still poo poo. But we're working on it.

Chris: Anniversary sale is in TWO loving WEEKS!!! ARE YOU making GBS threads ME RIGHT NOW?!?!

Engineer: No, I'm not. It's complex. Because math is hard?

Chris: gently caress it. We're releasing 2.0. We have to save face, show progress and sell that loving Crucible

Engineer: Uhm, you sure, that's like a whole poo poo ton of...

Chris: I said ship it. Stick it in PTU and we'll play it off. I'll rattle off a non-existent poo poo, fan boys will lap it up and understand it's in the PTU so it's not expected to work. And by that time that wears off in six months, you clowns would have fixed it, right?

Engineer: Yes. I think so. But you do know that my last day is Dec 1st, right?

Chris: gently caress you.

Actually Nick, one of my devs from back in the past and who I regarded as a prodigy, just chimed in on Twitter. He's one of very few people who has had hands-on with my engine code base.

https://twitter.com/nvining/status/667835529900130305

And some others showing up.

https://twitter.com/JohnCobalt/status/667838092011773952

I looked in on the groupies in /r/DerekSmart/ after I got a DM earlier this morning when I first tweeted my theory. And sure enough, they've got an entire thread about it already in full bore bullshit mode. I'm so glad those retards are corralled over there. It's easy to know who to block and dox when they step out of line

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 20, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

It's okay, I'm sure they just implemented all those bullshit lies like missions, FPS, and large world in the last day once they realized D_Smart was on to them.

Here, let me post the list again for you chum. You're welcome.

Now please go ahead and just cross off what's in the current PTU 2.0. Thanks.

quote:

8 dogfighting missions

8 research missions

1 exploration mission

You can repair ships

Mobi-glass

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Toops posted:

Guy gets in his ship, takes a mission, the dialogue was actually almost kind of funny, he q-drives to a waypoint, blows up a couple of enemies, quest updates, he q-drives to a different area, gets repaired and refueled, flew to the FPS area, wrecked his ship because he's throttle-heavy, respawned, flew back to the FPS area, now he's running around FPS, jumping with assist from his jet packs.

No crashes.

I'm genuinely impressed.

You know that a bunch of games, including mine, did that, like over a decade ago, right?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Danknificent posted:

That's not the point. SC has gone from having nothing to having something; something that even looks like it has potential.

They're still a far cry from having realistic prospects of making it a success, or even just digging themselves out of the feature obligation hole they're in, but because the expectation bar for this release was so low, it really is impressive.

OK yeah, point made. And I agree.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

They're already 64-bit, killer.

No. That's actually up for debate now actually.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Eonwe posted:

i guess im asking, have they done any of the actual hard work, or have they just spent $90 million making a less compelling and glitchier version of Elite dangerous without the scale of Elite Dangerous

No, they haven't.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Chalks posted:

It's all janky as gently caress, but when you say "go fly out in space" - their loving universe is like 100 stars in size. There's not a whole lot of space to go fly in. Seems like flying between stars is a fancy looking loading screen as your ship jumps between dogfighting instances.

I've seen some FPS footage. it looks pretty bland but not as bad as some shooters due to the high quality of the models everywhere. If only they could get everything to stop glitching the gently caress out when ever anything happens it would be a mid quality shooter I guess.

In terms of persistence, you have missions and they seem to keep track of themselves despite crashes so that seems like some persistence. I'm not sure if character levelling is a thing or if you just get money as rewards or what, but I imagine that persists too. I honestly don't think the persistence side of things will be anything more than that. Buy some ships and items and I assume they'll persist too.

It's really nothing ground breaking, but it can certainly be described as functional at this point I think.

I'm interested in knowing how long before enough of the shine has worn off that people who have invested $35,000 to play Elite Dangerous and a 2nd rate CoD might start to doubt their decision though.

This is the problem. The whole "game" is one big picture that Chris promised. What we're seeing in this PTU 2.0 is just a fraction of that. And anyone who thinks that this "game" is seeing the light of day in 2016, is still delusional. That's precisely why they're pushing SQ42 (for which there still exists NO gameplay footage other than a walk through) so hard right now because that's supposed to be the next cash cow. At least for anyone not already in the 700K+ count.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Danknificent posted:

This seemingly innocuous sentence could be the most important thing to remember about this whole business.

Even if the stars align and the game gets finished in a polished, stable, and more or less complete state - it literally cannot live up to these absurdly inflated expectations, and it is impossible to balance in any case.

Even if things go badly for CIG, they can theoretically drag this out for a very long time -- they have a huge platform for monetization, and they can also strategically downsize over time to make the ride as long as possible, but faith is the gas in the tank. One of the few things that could truly capsize them would be a massive rupture in the following - which could be caused by patience running out, or the realization that the game isn't going to deliver the magic they all signed up for. One way or another, that day is coming, and 2.0 might actually speed it up.

We know the game can't deliver a four or five digit experience; I'm sure CIG knows that as well. When the citizens know it, that's when things get interesting.

That's what makes this impressive 2.0 release so deceptively dangerous for CIG. Now citizens are exposed to something that's only existed in their heads up to this point, and after the initial starry eyed wonder, the reality inevitably falls short of the fantasy. Star Citizen might have been more viable as a delusion. For a while the faithful can comfort themselves that the real version 5 years from now will offer them more - but Mr. Smart's efforts have already planted the seeds of doubt.

Over the next few weeks they're going to be having a serious expectations/reality meme type of experience.

^this

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

DreadLlama posted:

We see X. Also, Dr. Smart asserts that if they used the 32/32 hack, we would see X.

Could the hack cause any other issues which we have not (yet) seen? A model is much more compelling if it has predictive power. Ie, "In addition to the jankiness at large distances away from points of interest, we should also observe Y behaviour under Q circumstances."

Ask yourself this. How many other players have you seen in ANY 2.0 stream doing stuff that, you know, a "team" of players would do. There's your answer.

Right now, 2.0 is more of a solo experience than anything. By year end, it's still going to be in the same state as AC 1.0x.

They have a LONG way to go and 2016 is already clean out the window.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

Of course, in the new build, the things Smart claimed were caused by the hack are no longer present. A more plausible explanation than a giant lie was a bug with the local physics grid code, which would have also caused many of the other bugs that were observed, i.e., the launching of multi crew players out of the ship and the objects spontaneously tipping over. It could easily cause the same jittering of objects Smart blamed on spatial imprecision.

OK now you're just flat out lying because I've watched several streams today, and the jittering is STILL noticeable in it.

Also, now that the streamers know about it, they are probably avoiding anything (e.g. going to far away) that will result in that, a crash or whatever.

Nice try though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Dark Off posted:

im actually impressed how smoothly this hack is running. there might be a game somewhere once this thing collapses, like the most enthusiastic star citizen will continue modding it once it collapses. But until then CIG will continue being the duke nukem of industry.

its still a hack that will continue having myriad of problems. You cant add player count since this is almost certainly running with 2x32 bit string base. The multicrew is going out of sync because its messing the calculations of that 32 bit universe space (its most likely reading passenger data as pilot data). And fps will be boring since its not the thing showcased at gamescon (2014). And theres also missing ships that will be bringing even more bugs into system.

Octopode posted:

You know everything you've said right here is gibberish, right?

I get what he's trying to say, and he's partially right. The multi-crew is not working properly because it has an underlying positioning problem. And if they don't fix that, imagine the problems that's going to cause with the larger ships owned by dweebs who want more than 4 people in it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

G0RF posted:

I watched the livestream and didn't really see her acting like a smitten schoolgirl, though I wasn't really looking for that. It's not like that's the first time she's acted coquettishly on camera- she's done that since the early Wingman days and it doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway, it's not a new phenomenon, nor especially funny. To me, the real humor in that moment with her new French subordinate was that she kept talking in French when he was talking in English.

I was laughing out loud because it's funny to me that she prioritized letting the viewers know she spoke passable French even after he had the good grace to recognize the audience was mostly English speaking and he probably should opt for their native tongue so the viewers didn't wonder, "Wait, does this guy even speak English?" That was classic Sandi.

She did further "I speak French" non-sequitur bragging again on "Reverse the Verse" today, co-opting a show ostensibly dedicated to answering questions about Star Citizen to continue her proxy war of words with Derek Smart about the incredibly important matter of the origins and depth of her French-speaking skills. And to compound that humor, she started explaining that when she conducted a recent interview in French, the interviewer started asking her about Star Citizen's Market Demographics and she said, "I don't even know how to explain that in English!"

But she's the bloody VP of Marketing, she has degrees in Marketing and Business Development, right? So in the course of co-opting the Star Citizen community Q&A show in order to burnish her French-speaking bona-fides so she can disprove Derek Smart's libelous accusation that she's learning French via some Facebook club, she ended up once again gently reinforcing his more damning accusations about her lack of Marketing bona-fides.

That, to me, is the height of Sandi hilarity-- it's subtle sometimes, but funnier on a richer, deeper level than some random blushing in the presence of some French bloke.

She's an unrepentant fool.

The fact that everything I say gets to her and she has this burning desire to address it - on company/product time - speaks volumes to her completely unprofessional conduct. She has never - ever - worked in any professional environment. So she has no clue how that actually works.

She speaks as much French as my next door neighbor speaks German. He's Hispanic.

Once again, she is not fluent in French, German or any other language other than English. It is a verifiable fact that as recently as this month, she was at a French "class". Not a French "book club".

She can take what I just stated right here and sue (or counter-sue depending how things go in the coming weeks) me. Then she gets to prove it and then find out that the truth is 100% defense against defamation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Loiosh posted:

Yeah, they're -real- tight on the server stability right now. They just sent out 5,000 more invites and it basically was down for 40 minutes with the shard servers disconnecting constantly. It just got stable(ish) again. This guy has a pretty nice stream: http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

A lot of the ships still have issues and cause desyncs. There's a lot of work ahead of them.

Edit: Right as I finish typing that, he gets disconnected again

Yup. Meanwhile: Octopode

• Locked thread