Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Sillybones posted:

That is really sad. This would make sense for an indie dev to show near the start of making their game. For a 110 billion dollar company after years of development :downsgun:

It's pretty much SOP for them. 2.0 launched with a different but similar-looking bug where the shadows would flicker or LOD would turn them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

G0RF posted:

No-- if you read his other comments on Derek's blog, he appears to be British (?) developer just offering comment on CIG and Star Citizen..

Besides the FPS issue he knows what he's talking about. Game servers with slower physics/rendering has been going on for decades, it's call the tick rate. Many pages back I linked some examples from DICE with their FrostByte engine. They ran a 10 tick (that's 10 fps/physics calculations per second) on all of the FrostByte engine games until BF4's update patch in 2015. The users can now set the tick rate (up to 120 hz).

Made for some entertaining videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gt_VX49dxk

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Thing I find confusing at the moment is, it's clear from the recent interviews with Erin, and other poor souls who are trying to make this thing actually happen, that there is a recognition amongst the higher ups of the massive engineering challenges they're trying to surmount, and of the problems so far (re-re-designing everything, star marine disaster etc.) that they have had to correct/move past. They are still rapidly expanding (4 new people at Frankfurt in the past week etc.)
But how the gently caress are they going to sustain the finances? Their operation as a whole is 300 - 400 people, they already splurged massively on offices, shoots and reshoots, probably tens of thousands of wasted man-hours in the first couple of years alone.
They are obviously banking a lot on SQ42 episode 1, so I guess they somehow have enough to see them through this year - but that very possibility surely means they have brought in outside investors? I know there was Bootcha and presumably others, so in reality do we think they've raised considerably more than $110m?

e: I guess the conclusion is, they have to get SQ42 out, and it has to sell, or they're really really hosed.

Derek has said all investors they approached have rejected them. Take that with the regular salt required for a Derek post.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I wonder the day they go bankrupt if they will do a public sale or something.
I see hordes of backers tearing down the walls en running like crazy with the chairs etc.

I'd pick up a few monitors. They have some good ones.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

RescueFreak posted:

I just imagine it to be like that episode of Rick and Morty when Jerry gets stuck in the simulation running at minimum settings.

haha, that's a vivid description.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

"Did you guys finish up the models of the Herald interior yet?"

"Yessir, just sent them over to Chris to get approval this morning!"

"Good. You didn't do anything weird like make sure the player model could fit in any of the spaces or anything right?"

"Absolutely not! In fact we completely disregarded any kind of functionality in the actual game and just drew up a cool looking IT closet!"

"I'm glad of it."

You think that's bad, you should see the avionics bay on an actual aircraft:

Poor guy. No chair for him. Boeing's ABs tend to be a bit more roomy, though still tight. Here's an AWACS C&C for example:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

runsamok posted:

Why wouldn't they have a pair of automated relay drones that shuttle back & forth from comm array to comm array via jump points?

Also: The game will, in the grand tradition of Wing Commander, require a boot floppy to get your system ready to handle its awesomeness. This will also disable all other programs except Star Citizen from running, locking out out-of-game communications.

Hope you've kept your CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT knowledge up to date.

Time to test out memory spaces for customizing my HIMEM.SYS

Load those mouse drivers into /UPPER

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

i am harry posted:

um what does ELE stand for?

Disappointment

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Variable 5 posted:

I still don't understand why they make multiple videos each week when they've publicly stated that the only "reliable" source of info is Chris Roberts. They might as well put a disclaimer on their other shows that says "Everything we discuss is conjecture."

To give a sense of progress and encourage more funding. This week was a little slow, only $300k. Their total is now $111.87M

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

stinch posted:

Having netcode that bad is completely normal for a big budget title this far into development.

Someone should tell Ubisoft this. The Division cheaters are terrible right now :/

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

oh man gerbils are my favourite breed of cat, here are some more

That, my friend, is a chinchilla.

BTW, hi guys. My team was laid off last week. I've been working on a VCP. Did you know in ESXi 6/vCenter 6 they finally added multi-processor support to FT (Fault Tolerance) called SMP-FT.

Also, the maximum number of FT VMs per cluster is 98.

I've been studying quite a bit. Got my VCA6-DCV Tuesday, but that is like: how to sell VMware. It's not a real cert.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

TTerrible posted:

I got my VCP5 and now if I read a sentence that has more than three words starting with V I start to shake uncontrollably.

vMotion, vCloud, View (though at least that is Horizon View now), svMotion, vvvv

VMware loves their vNaming just as bad as Apple likes iNames.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Your fan got active while I was studying. (Chapter 9, Security!)

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Given my current employment status, this is the right time to buy more starships, right? That's how this works.

Pagesnipe with my favorite catte

Loiosh fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 22, 2016

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

cocaine dad show posted:

Hurry friend, before this precious natural resource is exhausted and there are no more jpegs in the warehouse

Sold, buying 2x Orions for a game that hasn't even demonstrated a single job set yet!

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

Have you sold the ships you had? You said you would.

If you can point to the post where I said that, I'd be curious to see it. I did say I would lose my faith in CIG if they did not deliver by Dec 15th which they naturally failed to do.

Thus, I lost my faith in CIG. I've been quite consistent with my stance.

In terms of the money, It's not a concern. I'm getting 2 months of severance and paying for VCP certification. If you're curious, it costs around $6,000 for the VCP6 + Performance tuning course. $1,000 space ships is not a loss I'm worried about.

And no, I'm not buying those ships. That was a joke.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Oh, I should note for anyone else looking for VCP certification and needing classes. VMware has a sale right now for their online courses.

The VCP6 Install course is $3,200 if you buy it directly from them.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

Ah, ok. Since everybody was telling last year to ask for a refund or to sell your ships, and to that you replied that you would lose your faith if they didn't deliver by dec 15th, I naturally assumed that you meant that you would to get rid of them after losing your faith, like most would. My fault.

And lol at your $6,000 bullshit rationalization.

I've been consistent that $1,200 or so is not a problem. I did mention in the past I'd consider selling ships off, but it's really not at all a worry for me. Maybe if I cannot find a job after getting my VCP, I'd look into that.

I do not do returns or sales of things often. When I want to get rid of stuff, I give it away. In the last year I gave away 3 full computers to friends to clean up space around here. Forgive me as this comes off as pretentious, but selling things was never a big part of my life. If I do get rid of my ships, it won't be a refund, I'll give them to people. I guess it's partially related to how I was raised. My family was well-off. Not anything close to new or old money, but certainly on the top-end of upper middle class. Selling things was never a big part of my upbringing.

I think you may be mistaking my lack of faith in CIG as being an analog to the general goon sentiment of finding amusement in CIG failing. I don't share that feeling. I like the idea of Star Citizen. I hope SC comes out, but I do not believe that CIG can deliver. That doesn't make me laugh and mock them. It makes me sad.

So, what that means is, I'm not out to poo poo on them. I am not the kind of person to ask for a refund just to spite CIG and hope they fail. That's where my perspective is different from most here.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

Are you going to have to sell your jpegs to make the rent like Seraph?

No, I have a full 2 months of severance plus about six months saved up. Given my skills it won't be difficult to find a new job. The difficulty is that I'm looking to switch careers. SRS TIME for a moment.

For those curious, my job was solutions engineer. Forgive me for this coming off like a resume. I'm an experienced Windows and Linux administrator (over 15 years in both) with OSX experience. I specialized in Oracle (RAC), postgreSQL, MySQL deployments and VMware consulting. Also worked with a lot of hardware vendors like EMC (maginatics and datadomain appliances), DELL, IBM, and BLUARC.

Basically, when your IT cannot cut it, you called us and I would fix all your poo poo because your admins suck.

I'm not interested in doing further solutions engineering work. Though I loved my job and was paid well, I'm more interested in an admin position and would like to work on VMware. What I'm doing is getting certifications to prove it (thus, VCP6 work). This is why I'm taking a little more time off. I'd like to get certifications to raise my asking price.

Anyways, that's why I'm not worried about selling JPEGs, in addition to my earlier post about why I don't in general return things. Again, my apologies if this is 'hum'bragging.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The "I don't want to spite the hard working developers" lost its weight a fair number of million $ ago imo

At this point it's just the great struggle to justify enabling this shitshow for far longer than is reasonable. You want to see what Tarkaroshe and samfreez will sound like in a year, just listen to the 'losh

I advise people to not give money to them. My stance is that CIG has to prove themselves, and they absolutely have not. I don't think they will. How long ago was the Starfarer supposed to be out, right? I think anyone who wants out should absolutely do it and stay the gently caress away.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

wowzers

are you saying that you have disposable income? Because that's like four words you know

Again, sorry for coming off that way. I'm trying to answer why I'm not concerned at this time about ending up homeless. I don't want to poo poo on people who are struggling, so again, forgive me for sounding that way. I agree with you guys that the top of CIG is badly managed.

I'm in a different spot from a number of my fellow turds in the brown water.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

As a sufferer of both, I am in a position to say that stupidity is not always caused by mental illness

I would say the opposite is true. Most of the people I know who suffer from depression or bipolar or PTSD (two of my roommates), are among the most intelligent I know. I personally don't like mental illness being equated with stupid, but that's me.

Quite frankly, in my case, we're just okay with saying I'm stupid and I spent money stupidly on my hobbies. No mental illness needed.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

moveable shape posted:

Ehh come on Loiosh you don't have a dash of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder ??

Sorry just got the vibe being shizoid as gently caress myself. It has nothing to do with intellect or decision making ability, but has a lot to do with how you perceive conflict and other peoples intent

I would say that assessment is not accurate in my case as I feel I'm the opposite when it comes to emotions, especially empathy, and one of the things I enjoy most is intimate conversations with friends. If you want to internet diagnose me with anything, the closest would be close to AS (which is just considered a less-affected form of autism now). When I was younger I had trouble with a nuance, especially subtle word-play and humor of the like. But I always have close relationships with those I care for.

I probably should just be quiet. I try to answer honestly and comprehensively, but sometimes a few of your guys are really rough on me because of my position supporting CIG in the past. And, I guess, my willingness to keep answering.

So, I'm going to take a break and study more. I had tea at lunch and it made me have a hard time focusing, so I was hanging out here while waiting for all that caffeine to wear off.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ayn Marx posted:

Some people roll with punches or try the puppet master thing when they get ribbed. Loiosh is simply too nice to be affected in any way

I learned to take breaks when I get upset or hurt. And yes, to the question earlier, tea and coffee (and practically all CNS medications) are highly effective on me. A single cup of tea makes me hyper for a few hours and have trouble focusing. I get the half-dosage eyedrops at the eye doctor, take baby aspirin, usually pill split medications like benedryl. It's weird. My dentist mentioned she's only run into one other person like that, a friend of hers who also had high sensitivity to medications.

My roommates joke about the 'babby' medications I take :)

A whole benedryl lasts 10 hours for me. It's nice when you need a good night's sleep, but sucks when you go out drinking with friends and have to just have water. Side-effect: Everyone's designated driver.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Star Citizen is no longer a game to these people, so an "Acceptable Development Timeframe" is however long it takes Star Citizen to come out.

This is pretty accurate. The sentiment for many fans has -- since the start -- been to let CIG have as long as they need. As long as people continue to fund it at a level to continue development, there is no need for them to change what they're doing. That concept sale they did earned $380k over the last two days.

Think of how deep of a fan I was just a few months ago. That's the kind of person who is still funding this, though in my case, I'm treating CIG like I treat EA. No money, no encouragement. I have not purchased or played an EA game in 3 years (due to Mass Effect 3's ending and Need for Speed Rivals on the PC being locked to 30 FPS), and I'm doing the same for CIG. I warn people off funding them on my forum.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

He has super-human tolerance. Even against complete imbeciles he always writes well thought-out sensible posts in an hostile environment, sort of an alternate loiosh in the bizarro planet. He's one of the best commandos.

My secret alt (not actually me).

I stopped posting in the brown sea awhile back. Dedicated game forums tend to be terrible when they're not moderated well.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

iron buns posted:

Star Citizen: Forums tend to be terrible

Most game forums tend to be pretty terrible. I've been a mod on a few, and seen how the handling of moderation can make good places bad, bad places terrible, and rarely make a place better.

I've linked this before:
http://martinbelam.com/2015/i-tell-you/

The #1 issue is that the community reinforces bad behavior: #1 The behaviour of the regular users becomes self-limiting for the community as a whole -- It takes a special type of moderation and buy-in from the community to make a welcoming place that stays welcoming.

I'm not defending CIG here, their forums are moderated badly, just like Gearbox's forums and Bungie's forums and others. That's no excuse, but it is what is out there. I don't see CIG fixing it. I suspect it will always be a cesspool because they do not have the will to upset their users and lose that funding. If you want an example of a company trying, despite how terrible their community inherently is, RIOT Games is a great one to examine.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Anyone else think the music sounds like some 80s scifi show? https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/63155568?t=30m10s

It reminds me of Galaxy Quest's fake show music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI5hi4c4y9k

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

32m29s starts to remind me of The Last Starfighter, other parts of the arrangement put me in the mind of cheesy "triumph" music from 80s sci-fi movies. Funny you should mention Galaxy Quest, since that's exactly what they were channeling in that movie for the purposes of parody ;-)

Here's another classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQBAi3DePY&t=48s

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

For all the poo poo we give them, those are some totally okay patches. Nerdy, but then, I still hang onto cloth maps from classic games.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

XK posted:

I could see an employee maybe defending work anonymously on a gaming message board, if they had a moment of weakness. Glassdoor is exclusively for talking about the experience of being an employee. Why would you choose Glassdoor, of all places, to defend a project? Those reviews don't pass the smell test at any level.

This was before Glassdoor was a thing, but I've done this before when I worked at a small company. One of our employees got let go because he was fighting with another (about getting a green card). They were both good engineers, but ended up getting into fights about the LTE project they were working on. The employee who was let go eventually started making negative posts on news sites about how terrible the work environment and product were. I did write a few replies about how nice of a place the office actually was.

It does happen if someone truly loves their environment and thinks they are being treated unfairly. We've seen the same thing from both Bungie and BioWare employees. My favorite BioWare example was from Mass Effect 3 writer Patrick Weekes, who was writing out why the ending of Mass Effect felt so different from ME2 and ME1's writing. He was trying to defend the quality of BioWare's work, but ended up creating a poo poo-storm in the process - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.355616-Mass-Effect-3-Writer-Allegedly-Slams-Controversial-Ending -- You have to understand. Casey is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he's not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

I'm sure there have been others. What's rare to see is the head of studio defending themselves, but even that happens. Irrational's Ken Levine got into a spat with Nate Wells when Nate's entire level got cut. Eventually Nate left to join Naughty Dog. Ken addressed it directly in a letter to Polygon: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/10/3853198/ken-levine-bioshock-infinite-vgas - There's also the time Gabe Newell called one of their contractors an rear end in a top hat on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/47sc46/update_from_the_shanghai_major/ -- 1) James. We've had issues with James at previous events. Some Valve people lobbied to bring him back for Shanghai, feeling that he deserved another chance. That was a mistake. James is an rear end, and we won't be working with him again.

Usually though, people do not notice this because no one cares. It's something that just happens all over the place. A lot of people here have a hyper-focus on this particular company and their particular game, so everything is the worst possible example they've ever seen of any company in the history of companies.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I miss:

Loiosh
Gryphon0268
Pedoman5000
ManOfManyAliases
(A.K.A. BigPapaPumpDolvak)
AlaskanShipDeveloper
Reddit viewing this thread when the paywall is down and archive everything they can and then saying goons don't control the narrative of Star Citizen

Good times.

Thank you :) I've been busy with studying. I have an interview today for an opportunity. Very hopeful on this one.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Tippis posted:

I'm not sure he remains in the pool of the faithful.

I don't know if it'll ever come out. I've been so busy at my new job that I haven't been paying attention. Today I'm setting up a new IKEv2 auth/tunnel for VPN access.

Hope everyone is doing well, cattes are still being posted and such.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Well, you are still alive and well, so that's good.

Happy about it too! After my last post I got an interview with a fascinating company. The team I work with are frighteningly competent so I've had to do an immense amount of learning fast. The nice part about all of it is that I'm busy from morning to night; not in the bad stressful way, but in the always interesting new task or research way. This weekend I'm fixing our ASA to allow Windows 10 users to use the native VPN client. Win 10 requires IKEv2 but with some interesting options (transport and translation) configured and enabled. Next week I roll out a test of our new SSO and then do a recable of our switches / patch panels to make things more manageable.

Always something to do, I've been loving it. I see Peter's still around, so things are good here, it looks like.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Zombie Squared posted:

When was Loiosh last spotted anyway? I hope he is living a full, fulfilling non-16- hour-a-day space ore hauling based life.

I'm doing well! I haven't been following SC much beyond watching the occasional video.

In the last month I've: Automated device installations (things like wireless access, printers, office resource stuff), implemented IPAM and NetDoc, setup redundant RADIUS servers for authentication, Observium monitoring servers, an alert system, automated AC backup for our labs, WCCP (transparent web proxy), NeDI (Mac/IP lookup), GLPI (network/computer inventory tool), automated topology monitoring (via NeDI/MONIT), setup a new office VPN (OpenVPN), corporate backup and antivirus installation, and other bits (bringing all our routers under IT, setting up RADIUS authentication for them, etc).

Right now I'm working on finishing the deal with our SSO provider and moving from google apps into AD. Have 3 AD servers to spin up and then need to provision. After that, move all our users from local admin accounts to domain accounts, tie corporate network access/wifi into RADIUS/AD, and then integrate our Lab/Office network firewall.

So far, I've seen 2 new ships and 2.5 patch? Still not impressed with SC's progress. -shrug-

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Oh be fair. they also sold a space motorcycle! And also implemented two factor authorization. Or rather paid for it to be implemented.

I'll be implementing that at my place in the next month. (It's a switch from our SSO provider, but we need to fully integrate with it and test it before I can enable it).

Want to make sure it doesn't like, lock users out of their laptops or something silly.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

D1E posted:

Hey Streetroller, I'm curious about what you thought?

I'm home being miserably sick today and watched the presentation. I recalled my situation a year ago while watching the SC 2.0 demo and being impressed. Then the release in December and being utterly unable to join my friend because of a massive number of issues, from basic server stability, to the inability to join the same server, to ship crashes and falling through the bottom of the Constellation when we tried to fly together.

I'm hopeful they can deliver this in a good state, but doubtful it will happen. Let's see in December.

Until then, I'm going to keep my expectations low and be curious to see how things go. So far since 2.0 they have not managed to make the deliveries they promised, like quicker releases of stations or ships.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

SirTagz posted:

10x this

Even if they manage to push it to PU and it will be semi-stable :mmmhmm: it will be one mission-chain based on mocap for SQ42. They need to generate these dynamically and with sufficient variation to be anything besides dead boring even to the kind of citizens who enjoy loading their cargo crate by crate.

They won't be able to do dynamic missions on this scope. I suspect they'll do something more simple:
A few (3 or so) deeper missions with multiple stages. One for each job type.
- One long item fetch mission
- One long combat mission
- One long hit X to research mission

It'll mostly be simple single stage missions that might get linked. Go here recover this thing, now fight these guys here, deliver object here.

--
And none of them will be voiced. It'll just be text/email mission dialogue. The voice/NPC stuff will be reserved for hand-crafted missions (that will get exceptionally repetitive on the fifth go). I suspect it'll be very similar to the PTU missions, where you have a few different barks for each mission stage, but the basic structure is MMO boring stuff.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Someone explain grabby hands to me and why it's the holy grail

It's related to one of the many limitation issues with CryEngine. CryEngine basically had a single interaction verb (Use) and did not support the players doing more complex manipulations. All interactions were tied to a single context-sensitive button that could not support multiple verbs. To address this, CIG would have to completely rewrite another major component of CryEngine, to allow more interactions. They've nicknamed it 'Item System 2.0.'

The number of things they've had to completely rewrite to make CryEngine functional is frightening:
- Graphic renderer: Switched to a PBR path, added chamfered geometry with face-weighted normals
- Core Object System: moved from 32-bit precision to 64-bit precision
- Core Engine: Added zoning and nested zoning (20 years after Lord Derek Smart in BattleCruiser)
- Animation: Replaced skeletal system, added reverse-IK, replaced facial mapping/animation package
- Level/Map Structure: Added dynamic loading, replaced the core CryEngine octect map system, replaces the entire level loading structure
- Network: Replaced the entire network architecture, twice so far, with a third rewrite coming in SC 3.0

If they knew then what they knew now, they should have just gone with writing their own engine. It would have saved quite a great deal of money vs what they ended up doing.

The worst part is, no one will be able to reuse the SC engine. It's far too unstable and ungainly, they couldn't sell access to it if they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

My insider sources have just told me that the game is taking a huge amount of time to make because they don't have a proper patcher for the company, so everyone is always forced to re-download huge portions of the game just to work on a hat, or making sure the shitter doesn't evacuate you into space on the merry-go-round of hell.

That one is pretty easy to disprove. They're running ReCode - http://www.indefiant.com/

It allows for dynamic recompiling and direct patching into running code in memory. What your friend is thinking of is probably the QA build. Like my company, CIG does a rolling build, where each tag is fully built every few hours and then QA tests once DEV marks a build as GA-Testing. Those builds are distributed to local patch stores which are then served out to the QA teams.

But for devops testing, the company just uses ReCode which saves massively on recompile times.

• Locked thread