Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I quit following this trainwreck when the thread forked back off the Doobie thread.

:caughtupwiththethread.gif:

I'd contribute a vegetarian recipe but (a) no one else really wants that poo poo and (b) I never write anything down so I'm always reinventing the wheel. Hey, where do I apply at CIG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

When i was getting ready to finish grad school, a professor was really pushing hard for me to work for a company that was sending money to the university. Great benefits. Good track record. Consistently acclaimed by magazine as a "best company to work for" etc. I did a round of interviews, couldn't come to terms on something (I think it was relocation allowance), and backed away.

That was Enron.

Now, the people I was talking to, they didn't know about the crazy poo poo going on at the top. And I won't try and pretend that I had some kind of intuition, or even "if it looks too good to be true..." levels of warning. When you are 22, and someone is throwing around that kind of money, it is easy to be overwhelmed.

They were exposed before I finished my thesis. I ended up taking an industry position for 1/3 of Enron's starting offer. I guess what I am saying is I am a poor and will be linking my patreon account shortly. Also thank you to peter gabriel for the videos and G0RF for the long-con that has been going a few weeks. I remember reading the "takes up my entire screen" comment and knowing that was a goon.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Tippis posted:

I keep harping on about it to anyone who even gets tangentially close to the subject, but I consider Conspiracy of Fools to be one of the best crime/drama/thriller books I've read. Except that it's a journalistic exposé of the whole company from start to finish.

For your perspective, I would probably suggest Anatomy of Greed to see exactly what kind of experience you missed out on: the story of a freshly cooked MBA that started at Enron in March 2001. It's pretty good but since it's a personal-perspective account, it lacks the epic grandeur of Conspiracy.

boot.ini strikes again.
Granted, I maintain that part of that was Windows' fault — the system should not allow its core files to sit fully exposed in a world-writable directory and have some incompetently made game remove them.

Going to check this out. Kind of excited about "what could have been" vs. "lol suburbia"

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is actually quite common, and really isn't a problem for an effective engineer who knows how to delegate by letting people do their jobs, setting realistic goals, facilitating communication between everyone involved, and not constantly moving the goalposts and making people redo poo poo they've already done over and over again.

GHELOO CPOMMANO

I enjoy a lot of this thread's tangents. The complex math got my shorts a little tight. I was honestly falling asleep on the couch and that woke me up. So embarassing.

The project management is interesting to me - not in software development, but I occasionally have to fill that PM role. The one I am on now: I have 1 hard coder, 3 EE's, 1 ME, 4 scientists who all think they know better with some pissant coding capability (one being myself), some technicians who will actually get the work done, and a technical writer to take all the credit.

At the end of the day you have to learn not to take yourself seriously. And embrace middle-aged alcoholism. To me, it all comes down to hiring smart people that you trust to solve a problem, set hard targets, be the go-between, and then the rest is accounting. Math isn't hard.

fe:Jesus Christ peter gabriel makes good videos. Music selection is always on point. The pretend "simple" title blocks and subs are brilliant. Where do I donate my Idris money?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Had to spend a week in Alaska with the rest of the SC crazies. Took me hours to caughtupwiththethread.gif

Glad this thread has evolved to being dog-friendly and understanding the importance of showrooms.

Poster who wanted a smart, lazy, dog who enjoys fetch: I will second poodle mixes. Every one I met is pretty impressive.

I have a husky, who I'd say is smart in a not-normal dog way, who will play fetch (twice, then she's bored) but we have to keep an eye on her. Mixed breeds are always my suggestion (my American bulldog/ "whatever got through the fence") is pretty high energy, but wears out easily. He's brilliant and the most eager to please and play of any dog I've had. Great Danes. Lazy as sin. Loves to play fetch. Not so bright. Everyone thinks they have to live on a horse farm to keep one, but that's not true. Basically you just need a big couch and a yard big enough for them to pee.

2/3:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Brilliant.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Absolutely, it's a homage after all. If you need anything different, let me know. Song is in 90bpm if that helps.

I am 3000 miles away from my upright and banjo, and cursing myself for missed opportunities.

If I wasn't so frigging tired I would buy a shop broom and bucket from Home Depot and build a 2-string thumper. String it with the scab 12-gauge wire I have in my room. For the ultimate experience.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Ahhh, that was the guy in general earlier.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm convinced that they commissioned that song, IE paid money for it. There is no other explanation that makes sense.

I have said this repeatedly, and never been refuted. 8ace collective is responsible. For everything else they've poo poo on, this never gets touched on. Thus the "I'm not a drone" comment, as well.

It is ok, failed musicians... several of us have been there.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

drat, I didn't even realize I had snyped this page.

retroactive dogge post!

Kayak gets really annoyed when people ask him "Where's all the fur?" or "Is Shedding cancelled?" because everything you walk on, all your shirts, it's all in there - the hair is already in your house

My wife has been saving all the Husky hair for the last couple of years. Two garbage bags full, compacted. I think she's going to knit a sweater or something.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I don't u understand grandad chat, but want to be a part of push for 4000.

Both my grandads fought in ww2. One was an aircraft mechanic. When he died at 92 he gave me enough money to buy my first home and a thousand acres of cattle land in the South. Had to sell the house. Still paying taxes on the land. Thanks grandad!

Other grandpop taught me to shoot! I guess he was some kind of marksman. He's in photos at Normandy, and was in lots of history channel docs (photos) of that event. He wouldn't set up a target less than 100 yards. He was a hardass teaching us, tho. When he died he left me his long guns (bro got the pistolas). I got a scholarship for the bench rest team. Thanks grandpop!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Free Mr.Tophat!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I have nothing to add. But if anyone has watched the last season of Hell on Wheels, I need the Morman devil dog. GIS is failing me on my way to 4000.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

My favorite non space game.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

well. drat.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

”A speech made in January, 2017” posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd planned to speak to you tonight to report on the state of the Squadron 42, but the events of earlier today have led me to change those plans. Today is a day for mourning and remembering. Sandi and I are pained to the core by the tragedy of the Persistent Universe. We know we share this pain with all of the people of our country. This is truly a national loss.

Nineteen months ago, almost to the day, we lost three developers in a terrible accident at Illfonic. But we've never lost a developer on S42. We've never had a tragedy like this.

And perhaps we've forgotten the courage it took for the crew of the shuttle. But they, the Persistent Universe Crew, were aware of the dangers, but overcame them and did their jobs brilliantly. We mourn these heroes.
We mourn their loss as a nation together.

For the families of the developers, we cannot bear, as you do, the full impact of this tragedy. But we feel the loss, and we're thinking about you so very much. Your loved ones were daring and brave, and they had that special grace, that special spirit that says, "Give me a challenge, and I'll meet it with joy." They had a hunger to explore the universe and discover its truths. They wished to serve, and they did. They served all of us.

We've grown used to wonders in this century. It's hard to dazzle us. But for five years Cloud Imperium Games has been doing just that. We've grown used to the idea of space, and, perhaps we forget that we've only just begun. We're still pioneers. They, the members of the Persistent Universe crew, were pioneers.

And I want to say something to the backers who were watching the live meltdown of the game’s development. I know it's hard to understand, but sometimes painful things like this happen. It's all part of the process of exploration and discovery. It's all part of taking a chance and expanding man's horizons. The future doesn't belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave. The Persistent Universe crew was pulling us into the future, and we'll continue to follow them.

I've always had great faith in and respect for our developers. And what happened today does nothing to diminish it. We don't hide our development. We don't keep secrets and cover things up. We do it all up front and in public. That's the way open development is, and we wouldn't change it for a minute.

We'll continue our quest in space. There will be more jpegs and more fidelity and, yes, more moderators, more backers, more systems in space. Nothing ends here; our hopes and our journeys continue.

I want to add that I wish I could talk to every man and woman who works for CIG, or who worked on this game and tell them: "Your dedication and professionalism have moved and impressed us for decades. And we know of your anguish. We share it."

There's a coincidence today. On this day three hundred and ninety years ago, the great explorer Sir Francis Drake died aboard ship off the coast of Panama. In his lifetime the great frontiers were the oceans, and a historian later said, "He lived by the sea, died on it, and was buried in it." Well, today, we can say of the PU crew: Their dedication was, like Drake's, complete.

The crew of the Persistent Universe honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

Thank you.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Can you guys who are talking about Engineering Debt or whatever explain how that isn't included in normal day-to-day operation of 300 employees? If it is some artists already on the payroll just making things out of cubes and stealing artwork how does that make it cost extra? I'm assuming they aren't working per diem.

I'm not really familiar with the term "engineering debt" per se. I read it as costs to develop something you can't sell (as finished) yet. So you spend hundred hours building something that one day you hope to sell. Pretty standard, and then I'd agree with you assessment (they are on payroll now, costs equal payroll + overhead).

But Technical Debt is another thing. That's when you spend 100 hours to get something together, and know darn well you will have to re-do a portion of it later. The "debt" part of is the concept that there is "interest" on your 100 hours of development that will accrue. That interest is an unknown expense at this time, thus scary.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Remember, there is a poo poo ton of overhead involved with companies this size. This ain't some 5 guys in a garage type operation. You have HR, you have mandatory trainings and other bullshit to deal with. Compliance is a bitch once you get over 50 employees.

From Beer's post on Frontier's financials, I was surprised by how low the overhead was. My outfit (including R&D, marketing, benefits, etc) our overhead exceeds salary. I took one of our spreadsheets, knocked out R&D, slashed benefits by 50%, and reduced Admin overhead (cause Sandi can do the job of 10 people) and I was still around 1:1.

Guess I don't know anything about game development!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Engineering debt is a term I started using around the time that they got really hog wild with the big ticket ships that all use some completely different mechanic that hasn't even been though up right and would need hundreds if not thousands of ENGINEER hours to just get it programmed. Basically a completely new problem is created and now the engineers need to solve it, the problem was created to sell ships, the ships are already sold, so its a debt held to the engineers. The drink mini game, the passenger cruise-line, the liquid mining poo poo, etc are all examples of engineering debt.

This makes sense, thanks. So not an additional "interest-bearing" debt (like technical) but like "salesman sold X, now figure out how to make it." Close enough?

THEN they compound the technical debt on top because, well, look at the track record.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

thatguy posted:

Everyone post what you think her return tweet will look like. Whoever is closest wins the satisfaction of being right.

It will just be an over-the-shoulder shot of an artist working on space pants.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I have not the skill, but captioning it like a stutter is how I hear it.
"#istand"
"#istand"
"#istandwithsandi"

Then I dunno, then either cut to credits or fade to still life from a hospital bed. Still working out the dramatic details in my head.

That's how chapter 1: prelude: first dawn ends.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

ripptide posted:

There's actually a Gamescom site for exhibition costing. http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/gamescom/for-exhibitors/registration/calculate-stand-costs/index.php .Lowest cost was as a business at 100.5 (I'm assuming Euros), and 162.5 for entertainment area. So as an example, a 10Mx10M business and 10Mx10M entertainment area would be about 35,818.00 Euro, or about 40K US. Just for the space.

Man, that's high. The events I go to in my industry, nowhere near that much for the floor space. I think the most recent one I set up in the US was $25/sq. foot. So about 20k eur for a 100m^2 space?

And the big booths are usually custom-built per show. The best part is staying through tear-down. 99% of that ends up in the garbage. So $10-20k in fab that gets used for a week and ends up in a dumpster.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

TheAgent posted:

if chris doesn't show in person i will buy 5 people here avatars

that's how much I doubt that info

I want my old Stupid Newbie baby av, not this new cabbage patch baby av.

Or maybe a crying SC fan whose dreams have been shattered because Lord and Savior didn't show.

j/k I haven't had avatars turned on in a decade.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I submit something I learned today:

Star Citizen: Brandson got owned by a bot

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

tuo posted:

Chris: Is it lovely enough to get rid of the dancing cat?
DevLead: Uhm...I mean...we still need to make a game out of this...
Chris: (handwaving) DOES IT KEEP AWAY THE DANCING CAT?
DevLead: It should...but, you know, we could add some more content that is slated for later builds, to break it more...
Chris: (calming) will it keep the cat away?

Thank you. This was my favorite post of the week.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Atreiden posted:

After reading this entire thread and the former, I still don't get how so many people in their late 20th/early 30th are falling for the hype or believing some of the more outlandish claims about how for instance AI will behave. Like last time I fell for game hype and pre-ordered, I was in my teens. And seriously some of the claims about what SC will do, are simply not feasible or downright impossible, yet you have people in their 30ths buying in for +10k because they somehow believe in the hype.

I know it is poo poo to harp on grammar from ESL folks, but I read this post with a lisp and it was 1000% better.

Now to apply that filter to all of kikkiloverths quotes.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

This is good. I forgot about candles guy.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

RedTonic posted:

^^^

Ice cold, bud.

I been spooped up for quite a while now. The meatatar will return in November, though. I'm digging the proliferation of byobatars in the meantime. :3:

...Kinda hoping FAU keeps going with the name change thread, I wanna see what horrible moniker I get.

Good luck. I don't think a clue was had how this was going to go. I'm like 10 pages back.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Xaerael posted:

She was a Husky. She lived to 14, and although she did some really dumb dog things, she was the most intelligent pet I've ever owned.

Huskies are simultaneously some of the most clever, dumbest loving dogs.

Beautiful and majestic creatures. This was a common view.

crate door is open, btw.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

ZenMaster posted:

wow epic fail , host is dead

trying this again:

:siren: GUYS GUYS GUYS!!! I HAVE EXCLUSIVE S42 CUT SCENE CONTENT!!! NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!! :siren:

Is that a laser tag helmet? I was too poor for the helmet.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Meridian posted:

What have I missed?

"It's publically available on LinkedIn!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Meridian posted:

Well we already knew MoMA was Toast though.

Yeah but now we get to tease him about his home address and school choices, not just fashion accessories.

• Locked thread