Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

D_Smart posted:

Engine is fine. Art style is intentional: http://lodmmo.com/15-07-31-state-of-play/

I went through this trying to find an explanation for why LoD looks like a game from early last decade, but I ended up discovering your tie-in DC comic series instead. I wonder how that collaboration came about.

e:spelling

Mukip fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
He is the chairman of the elite Anime Appraisal Unit of The Organization.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

staberind posted:

this boy is physically a mess, but he is 19, old enough to know the difference between calling Derek a dalek & trying to go all davros on L.O.D. by bombing it on steam.

choose your battles wisely.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

Hmmmmmmm yes, it's perfectly reasonable to dox a kid, and publish his personal details on a hugely trafficked forum, because he left a bunch of negative reviews on steam. I am a Rational human being who does not stuff magazines up his rear end as soon as I get home every night

:goonsay: But his brain is fine, it's just his legs and other things that don't work good.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Hmm, I think I am gonna give this kid some infos about your lawsuits (starting with the parentship one, don't you think?) and other personal info, let's see at which point someone thinks gently caress it and publish it all.
That will be glorious to watch.

Don't think; do.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Karl stands on the shoulders of giants, men like [deleted] and Dolvak who fought the good fight.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The handicapped kid can do whatever he wants. He's a 19 year old young adult, not a literal child! Karl is just giving him the tools he needs to defeat the Internet Warlord.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Jimb posted:

What the gently caress does the wheelchair have to do with any of this? Of all the god drat things going on in here, you pick a wheelchair?

Because MLK had a dream, and Derek Smart is the fulfilment of that dream. Whereas we see a wheechair, an object of divison; Derek just sees a person. A person 20+ year's his junior who he should send threats to over the Internet.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'd wear a mask too if I was showing that off. Doesn't even have a tilt screen.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
He should come out of the closet and show his gamer pryde.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

CiG got 4 million more bucks this month. I get the skepticism regarding their promises but I don't see how the company offices are going to be shuttered any time soon. It seems like they can just raise another 3-4 mil almost whenever they like by pulling a CitizenCon and a new ship sale. Can anyone hazard a guess at what their monthly expenses must be like for their staffing levels, etc?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

jaegerx posted:

This has been done time and time again. Please stay up to date on the best games thread ever.

Well poo poo, sorry. Wouldn't want to post something repetitive in this thread.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Omi-Polari posted:

The caveat is that October and November is when CIG makes most of its money for the year *and* they're still down 20% compared to 2014 and we're not factoring in refunds (which may be relatively small, but still). Last November they made $6 million and I don't see them topping it.

I agree with your larger point though. They're still bringing in ... quite a lot of money. They're probably going to stick around for awhile.

I mean, if they keep raking in the cash then they'll probably put a game out eventually. Supposedly the multi-crew/FPS is around the corner. It couldn't possibly satisfy the fever dreams of it's most rabid backers, the individual components probably won't be as fun as more focused games, people probably wouldn't have spent so much money on the finished product on it's own merits as opposed to the The Dream that has been sold by CRoberts, and it will probably have much less content than you'd expect given all the time wasted on "revisions"... but personally I'm not really persuaded that this game isn't going to come out at some point and broadly satisfy the criteria of being a space sim game with a persistent universe, fps stuff and a single player campaign. But let's see what Dr Smart has to show us.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

CrazyTolradi posted:

Not necessarily, and even if that is the case, the first question is how much more money will they need and where will they get it from? Whales are a finite resource with finite finances to pump into SC. CIG doesn't have a publisher behind them to get more funds from. They might be able to get more funds via loans, but if they're at the point where they need that then anyone who's going to buy the game already has and at best it'll make chump change post-release.

I agree, but if you asked me last year whether they would still be making multi-million dollar monthly revenue by now then I'd have said that they already exhausted the well of silly money. I don't understand where it all keeps coming from so I can't really say that they won't make more.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It's the 3rd of November, Derek.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

D_Smart posted:

It's a case of the right hand working independently from the left hand. They'll never see it coming. Trust me, there's a plan in place. And the end result is glorious. It's going to be part of my legacy that will be written about for the next decades.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

CrazyTolradi posted:

You're one of those guys who waits up until midnight for a game release and gets enraged because it isn't out the second the clock hits midnight, aren't you?

Pretty sure Derek posted a time it'd be out on the 3rd, it's like midnight or so for him now I'm guessing.

You better not be trying to manage my expectations.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Karl really throwing it down here.

Bootcha and Karl have both come out swinging hard, but who will win the title of slightly less retarded backer?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Like, everyone knows Derek Smart is a blowhard who lives up to his reputation, but when you set that aside he's still a better person than this Karl_Ramsmeier guy.

That's Dr Derek Smart Ph.D to you, pal.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
CIGs behaviour is more damning really if you take it for granted that they have enough money already to make the game and put it out. Because then it means they are effectively conning people into giving them money for no reason, as opposed to a scenario where they need the money to keep the lights on due to prolonged development. They can't reasonably be changing the development goals at this point (assuming baseline sanity), so either they have enough money or they don't. I suppose a person who really believes in the honest motives of CIG must therefore conclude that they don't have enough money to make this game as it stands.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

:psyduck: The fuuuuuuuck

The ride never ends.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Duckaerobics posted:

If she feels the need to lie about her qualifications, it makes it seem that she is in fact not qualified.

If she didn't want trouble she shouldn't have been so revealing.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. We have been battlecruisered.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Mods knew.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can skip 4/5ths of recapping and go straight to the bottom for the Gizmondo thing.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

quote:

The minute you comply with all of the above, you have my word (I am old school like that)
Uh, Derek, your word hasn't been worth poo poo to anybody since 1997. Also bit of a glass house thing going on with Sandi's qualifications, Dr Smart.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

ShredsYouSay posted:

Swedish mafia connections? Money laundering?

Some CIG execs worked for a company that was bought out by Gizmondo. Meh.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

MeLKoR posted:

So, what are the explosive revelations? I skimmed through it but nothing jumped out at me. :crossarms:

It's basically saying that if your boss gets sent to prison for criminal wrongdoing then you are tarnished by association.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

AP posted:

Wonder if the gaming media is going to be able to resist the mafia stuff, it makes a good story.

It doesn't look like there is a story. My understanding of it is that an apparently legitimate company (Warthog) which several CIG execs worked at was bought out by Gizmondo; the owners of Gizmondo were later sent to prison. There's no reason given to suppose that being an employee of Warthog made one privy to the Gizmondo bosses schemes and Derek's blog doesn't go so far as to suggest that. It's basically How Far Can I Go Without Defaming Anybody: The Blog.

Also, we weren't promised a mere recap blog. Don't try to manage our expectations!

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

AP posted:

Yeah pretty much, still it's a good effort post of all of it together and it's not really aimed at people following this thread. It's the reaction to it that should be interesting to watch, I expect the Karls aren't going to pleased.

You're showing a very tolerant attitude towards failed game devs making big promises and failing to deliver.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
If this game has any serious pretension to realism then it has to include humanity's oldest profession.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The Cutlass Purple includes a reception area, private recreational room and secure prisoner chamber. Take female players captive and earn credits. It's just a fact of life.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It is better to die for Chris Roberts than live for yourself.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
When this game comes out I will be too embarassed to play with goons. I can only imagine the humiliation of pirating a convoy ship off the shoulder of Orion while flying the goon banner, only for the pubbie pilot to begin mocking me, "We're both playing the game right now. This means I win and you lose, even if you blow up my ship!", he will say. And he will be right.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I swear by the Great Boar of Carnutes that I am now a proud and loyal citizen of the UEE.

ego sum ​​gay

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Propagandist posted:

Sure maybe you can assume one mission and one planet and one moonbase is coming in "3.0".

Guess what else is coming in 3.0:

Bugs of poo poo that you'd never expect because the game is a janky mess, which makes all the accomplishments go away.

This is now basically goons going "nuh uh, I have a bullet proof vest so you can't shoot me, Timmy, I shot you!".

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Who is sadder out of these three groups.
1) Citizens who have been enthusiastically following the development of innovative blockbuster space sim Star Citizens by noted rockstar game developer Chris Roberts, marvelling at the infinities of space with almost child-like wonder and fiscal sense
2) Reeking rat ogres on SA who have spent months, if not years, obsessively making GBS threads over development of same space sim and harassing a woman for reasons which I don't care about. Making tens of thousands of posts about something they don't like. Hours of their lives on this poo poo.
3) Myself, who checks in every now and then to see if this game is ever coming out.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Propagandist posted:

I think it's time for you to check back out.

It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

thatguy posted:

I'll be here trying to make another 19,000 posts.

See You Space Cowboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Libluini posted:

4) Chris Roberts, because his soul is lost and he will burn forever in the fires of hell

The gate to Hades is barred by the brothers Molneux and Murray. If a third was to join them it is whispered that they would form would a three-headed beast called Cerberus. Fortunately, this will not come to pass. Roberts has come to save gaming, not destroy it.

• Locked thread