Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

here's a hot take: star citizen is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gently caress you Karl_Ramseier

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

raess2014 as a shareholder of Raytheon stock lemme go on the record and say I think they're a bunch of poopy doodooheads, send that to the board of directors bicth

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Roberts had to move his operations to a certain Alabama bunker after the threats became simply too much to handle

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

remember to use [*prm][*/prm] or [*premium][*/premium] tags when discussing ops/doxx, without the asterix of course

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DreadLlama posted:

Are CIG taking punitive action against RSI forum accounts for SA shitposting?

Yes, look at what happened to B4tBG

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Re: CIG banning folks from the RSI forums for posts here, BeerForTheBeerGod was a prominent member of the RSI community and was basically the laison of good faith between the goons and CIG for a while. He was abruptly permabanned at RSI (skipping over the normally more lenient ban levels) for posting something that they construed as baiting/trolling (it was just something critical/argumentative, you know, a contradictory thought on a discussion board) and it just so happened to be during this thread's full-on nuclear meltdown. It was determined that RSI does actively read (and catalog? Wtf) this thread, so put two and two together basically.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A forum war in the year 2015, what a time to be alive

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I, uh, like all this funny drama and stuff but, uh, I think I might want to get off of Mr. Smart's Wild Ride

the thread's getting a bit... perverse?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

:gary::wrong: is my new favorite forum thing

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't care about your stupid goon drama because the goons I play with are cool enough that I consider them friends so this weird hierarchy/organization stuff is just bizarre but if that story is true then lol anders you loving stupid oval office get a life, nobody cares about goonrathi not even the people in goonrathi care about goonrathi

never play games in ways that require anyone to be treated anything other than equals, goddamn

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 30, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

like if you told me that I am a goonfucker in a video game for whatever reason I would probably TK you and call you a human being in mumble

ps if you are good at Project Reality we play in the wargame channel in CTS

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Eonwe posted:

its pretty funny because Kimsemus and thatguy actually did a lot to keep the guild together

we had dudes running off with a substantial amount of mats toward being a castle, we had another dude who ran off with entire armor sets that were the highest you could really get without doing pay to win bullshit, we had goons constantly stealing trade packs off other goons who set territory to guild

and somehow kimsemus and thatguy are goonfuckers because they did something that uh, I don't know what

Man I really want to like those kinds of games because the risk/reward stuff tickles the pleasure center of the brain but they're such gigantic time sinks. Wurm Online made me realize that I was wasting my life/summers, never again.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Eonwe posted:

yeah mmos in general are kind of a dumpster fire

too bad because there is a lot of potential

you should check out Life is Feudal if you like that sort of stuff, kinda like a persistent Mount and Blade. Only 64 player servers now, but maybe maybe not someday thousands but I think the principle investors in the game are russian mobsters so who knows

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Willfrey posted:

I've read it is sorta fun but also with great grief potential, but also grindy timesink.

Oh absolutely, especially if you have friends to play with. But it's one of those games where it's more fun to just be a griefing bandit than it is to get the stuff required to be a griefing bandit. The grind is really server-dependent but the biggest problem is the small size of the island and how easy it is to just poopsock/steal stuff when you are logged off. Though I heard they made changes with that.

Also you can't use weapons until you have unlocked their associated skills which are gated in really odd ways, like you have to learn how to use chain armor before you can use swords or something. Like the pitchfork is the first actual weapon you can wield. So if you just so happen to find some weapons and armor as a fresh character, you can't just be a wandering bandit unless you grind some stupid skill first. And making steel is a loving chore because it requires slaving away with an RNG skill.

It's got a lot of potential but there are some strange gameplay choices. I can understand wanting there to be value in certain skills and for certain resources to be hard to get but save that poo poo for the real MMO and not the little servers.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 30, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

The JPG selling masters are bad at Photoshop

well duh, they aren't pngs

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Speaking of forum projects, has the Games forum ever tried to develop a game? UE4 is free after all.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Well there was this little thing called Zyborne Clock

I meant serious attempts :v:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i'm the guy who got hired for making funny youtube videos and leaked a ton of secret game assets to the public via a screenshot leading to unsecured storage that didn't lose his job immediately

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hey redditors, it's not Illfonic's fault Star Marine got shitcanned (yes, it got shitcanned, the assets are reused but all the FPS stuff was recoded), but rather CIG's dumbass decision to contract out part of the game while they were converting the engine to 64 bit, making anything Illfonic made unable to be merged into the main branch. They completely wasted their money other than whatever reusable assets they might have got from them and you are all idiots if you can't see that it's all been redone from the ground up.

I can picture when they had that one producer actually go to Illfonic's studio when they were already over the two weeks release date in an effort to hasten things up a bit, only to realize they were in full panic when they realized none of the poo poo they had made could possibly be integrated back into the game after all that work. Which would make sense given those Glassdoor reviews saying there is poor communication.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 31, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

XK posted:

There was a gif posted a week or so ago of a pilot sitting in a cockpit, the ship rotating around, and the pilot's limbs rolling around the cockpit as the ship rotated. I'm not bothering to look for it because I bet it got nuked by the bot. It basically says all that needs to be said about why this game will never come out in any form even slightly resembling the promises that have been made.

You get your basic starting point build made, all's good. Then you start going down the list of 1,200 promises you've made. You decide to pick something simple to start with, like ship localized physics or some bullshit. You spend 3 weeks mucking up your code with patches and tentacles running through everything. Finally you're done, it seems pretty good, the code's kind of messed up now, but you'll clean it up later. Oh, wait, the pilot's arms and legs fly around all over the place when the ship rotates. gently caress. Only 1,199 hacks to go.

This is basically what happens when you don't have the underlying framework for your software worked out before you start slapping stuff together, and it only gets exponentially worse when you fall victim to feature bloat. I've been there before with my own software, where I just start making stuff, get it working, then try to start sticking other features on later. It always results in a completely unmanageable mess.

If they were promising only a space ship sim, I'd say it was a reasonable possibility for them to get it together and produce something. They are promising pretty much everything that could be imagined, don't appear to have their fundamental framework worked out, and are pathologically ridden with feature bloat. This situation is an absolute death knell for any project. This is why the media they have to present of what their game offers seems to be going backwards and is less impressive than what they were showcasing years ago, it's the reason they've had to start SQ42 over, and it's why everything is in modules. Nothing works together. When they try to combine all these separate pieces, it will not be possible even by the greatest coding wizards. They are destroying their own work through bad project management and bloat. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, when the project falls apart, they have almost nothing functional left because everything has been wrecked with half-assed hacks and patches to make space juke boxes and targeting reticules not rotate through the hull and fly off into the nearest physics object.

I can't even call it a con job, because with that the smart thing to do would be to poo poo out a decent space ship sim, then run off with the rest of the tens of millions in funds and the project completed. This is a guy who's in completely over his head, is going to end up blowing every dollar, and nobody will have anything to show for it except some space ship concept art.

I can't believe how off in the weeds this project is. These are actual real manuals. No project can survive this.

Yeah this is probably the same things the news sites will echo next year when things get real dire. The biggest red flag for me that not many people talked about was the fact that they revealed at CitCon Sq42 is no longer a linear mission-to-mission story, but it's going to be an OPEN WORLD GAME. That seems like a massive shift this late in the game.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hopper posted:

Wait what? I thought it was Wing Commander 2.0. If they make it open world there is NOTHING that distinguishes it from Elite except for 10 hours of lovely Croberts B-Movies

They described it as being a sort of central hub where you can explore to find different missions, something like GTA. I think it was during the slideshow, I am surprised nobody caught it.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 1, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also reminder that all the ships are actually physically propelled through the gamespace by their thrusters, so that's another layer of complexity that slows down implementing things as opposed to just making the entity move around and changing turn rates/speed etc.

What does this add to the experience? Nothing. Nobody will notice it, it's an additional complexity that serves no purpose other than to make things much more difficult to add or change.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Bolow posted:

Oh come on you can't talk about that and forget to mention the guy they held a "court-martial" for was loving deaf, so he had to have a space lawyer relay everything to him

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

D_Smart posted:

I know some of you skip lots of pages and stuff gets lost in translation. So here is where we are.

NOTE: I decided to just post it on my website instead.

goonspeed good sir

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 2, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Bootcha posted:

Hahahahaha.

Hey Karl. Let me vette.

I got a WC FMV helmet prop. A gift from Lesnick for making sure he was comfortable and welcome in Austin. poo poo I still have his wife's desert plants she game me too.
I asked CR about his movie industry credentials at the GDC reveal. Somehow, that seems pertinent.
I was there all day and night at the 24 hour "end-of-funding" (hahaha) livestream. I provided the champagne, CR's milk for his espresso, and several other food runs to keep everyone going.
I'm in the picture of "The Pledge". You remember this thing?

I did the stage management at the first CitCon in Austin alongside Viewmaster.
I was on Wingman's Hangar. And I did a lot of production assistance whenever they needed it.
Dr. Hawk interviewed me long long long ago, ID'ed as one of THE INVESTORS. It was no big deal back then.
I AM THE ONE WHO LAMPS.

I was, and still am to a certain extent, one of the spergiest Wing Commander spergs. I kinda consider myself Patient Zero to this whole Star Citizen thing.

And yet I feel something is wrong. Something wrong enough to warrant action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfHCaQ0_a4g

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3r7rrm/can_i_just_say_something_about_illfonic/

Hey retards: it's because the branch they developed their part on was different than the branch CIG was converting to 64 bit, and the two couldn't be merged without starting 100% from scratch. Illfonic made a perfectly serviceable game, but because of mismanagement from CIG it couldn't be used.

And guess what happened? FPS stuff was started again from scratch. That's why it was delayed indefinitely, they realized they had to completely redo it and it wasn't because it was Illfonic's fault.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

AC 2.0 will be 64-bit and will have FPS gameplay, that isn't very unbelievable. They've had the engine converted to 64 bit for a long-rear end time at this point. It'll be a functioning game but it'll lack everything a space game needs. It'll literally just be a sandbox deathmatch in a giant world with no mining, trading, buying/selling of ammo/fuel, etc you know things that make space games space games.

The Illfonic thing reminds me of how funny it was when they were doing the big branch merge and their weekly updates had a house-is-on-fire chipper attitude to them, like "there are thousands of merge failures between the branches but we just gotta iron them out one by one! :downs:". I can imagine they found out very quick that they need to redo it all completely because it was a giant hopeless mess.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i'm the guy who decided it was a good idea to develop several modules simultaneously by several different studios separated by large geographical distances all while making fundamental changes to the game engine itself

it's easy, just cntrl-f replace all the ints to doubles!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I actually do believe CIG will get 2.0 out in a reasonable time frame and it will all work as expected (those videos of local physics grids working in AC shows that the tech is there, at least). BUT! It will have a max player count of 16 people and very little to actually do outside of "go here and look at thing" or "shoot thing".

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Don't forget when the Blue went from .jpeg to .obj there were some glaring... uhh... scale issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiuwQwqAN3A

imagine a police cruiser but they made perps sit in child seats on the way to jail

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

for god's sake everyone, ben lesnick is a human being too

some of you all go off the rails a bit

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Derek Smart post the blog

This is a goon.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Karl_Ramseier posted:

I am my father, my brother in law, my daughter and perhaps his dad, all in one person.

It's a full time job, I can tell you.

This Huffman case cost you a lot Derek and then a voluntary dismissal? You wanted 75k and just had to pay what? 30k on fees? And all the documents are still out there. Yes I would call that a glorious victory.
And people are going to court on your behalf? These poor bastards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2fNG26xFg

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't think it's fair to judge Reddit based off a few subs on a massive site where a majority of it is innocent fun. Hell, look at ADTRW

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Derek's blog two weeks etc :effort:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

When I play video games with my friends such as CS:GO or Battlefield the one thing I really wish I was able to do is enact a really gruesome realistic first person rape scene on them

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

testing

:gary::wrong::yarg:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Welcome to the Advocacy Office, citizien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I like to make fun of this debacle as much as anyone else but talking about whether you would or would not gently caress Sandi is just weird

• Locked thread