Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

D_Smart posted:

uhm, OK, what did I miss?

He's just doing this thing where you tell someone to stay safe so they won't haunt you later. Consider it a sign of worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

joats posted:

1. Click Profile button beneath this post.
2. Locate and click Add user to your Ignore List button.
3. Relax and enjoy your marginally improved forum experience.

Do not interact with, uh... 2004 Stymie?

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Madcosby posted:

Hey guys, check it out

delete *.*

should I? Nah... poo poo's too easy. Besides, you get raped on the way to the airport for your flight to a prison island by SS guys if you get caught. Oh poo poo, you think I might get caught?I was just joking. What if someone else does it? Oh no, I'll be blamed. I'm too young for Prison Island. I dont want to get raped. Oh god

Yep, that's the joke.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Bootcha:

e: Also because the old video owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NN8XWrHn8

God, I'm so glad this went up in flames. All the propaganda was so insufferable, had that "ha ha I'm being funny" tone to it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

drat, I killed the conversation :stare: I'm a little chubby, so I could be a stand in, I guess.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Thanks for being a complete and total fun sponge, jeeze.

I know it's negative as balls, but I always got that feeling from that and the Starfleet Dental stuff. The videos try hard to be funny and irreverent, but often it comes off as really forced, like they need to be funny. Goonswarm propaganda is usually like that too, but sometimes they make something that isn't completely awkward if you're not in the group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzxY4kiz_lg

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 29, 2015

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

How to Make :gary:

Ingredients:
  • 90 million USD
  • 100 VFX artists
  • 1 :reddit:

Instructions:
  • Take 90 million USD. Set aside $81 million for later.
  • Using a CEO, mix remaining $9 million and VFX artists in an overpriced office.
  • Place :reddit: just outside office.
  • Bring office to boil for 1 year, poking mixture with executive board weekly.
  • Abruptly remove heat and add :reddit: to office.
  • Stir mixture with :lesnick: for three months.
  • Discard :reddit: and pour result into convention center. Garnish with unused Concorde.

Serves and disappoints 1 million users; they'll eat it anyway.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

D_Smart posted:

SImple. They want to remain close to Hollywood. Plus Sandi apparently hates TX.

But Hollywood sucks and Texas is sorta neat :confused: It's definitely better than Hollywood, anyway.

Okay, question for you Karl: why is Sandi objectively wrong about everything?

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Why don't you explain what you mean to this rear end in a top hat?

-edit-
No, you know what? GFY.
I've been dealing with poo poo from CIG and their White Knights for at least a year, and have been permabanned/deleted from the forums for pulling all my funds out of that sinkhole.

If anyone wants to question my problem with CIG/Sandi/Chris/Ben, all they need to do is look at my posts here, FB, and twitter.

I came here because I shouldn't have to censor or mince words, unlike the RSI forums.
I might be an rear end in a top hat, but that's just because some people don't like hearing the Truth.

Chocobo posted:

Been here less than a month and never posted outside of Star Citizen threads, better tell people to lurk more.

Pretty much what this guy said, that's why this is ironic. Good on you for having your first meltdown post though! A little culty/furry in composition, but they'll get better as you work at it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Incombibulator posted:

I loving hate the ubiquitous Bootstrap framework. It's lazy, lazy, lazy.

I believe you mean :gary: PAAAARPstrap? But yeah, I don't know why people don't customize it more.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

The funny thing about "normal AAA game development" is you have a publisher backing you and not operating on a model where you collect product sales before there's actually a product.

Isn't that how preorders work? Though I guess they're not usually what fuels a AAA game's sales.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Octopode posted:

You realize at the point that Star Citizen began development, CryEngine and UE3 were the only games in town as far as licensable, high-end engines, right? And that developing an engine from scratch is orders of magnitude more difficult than adapting even a badly-suited engine to your needs, right? And that, given the choice between having to adapt two equally unsuited engines to the task, it makes much more sense to actually go with the one with a developer that's willing to commit significant engineering expertise to helping you do so, right?

All of his prior projects were done on from-scratch engines; it's not like people blame the engine for Freelancer taking so long, though. Even if we assume they had to use a kit engine, why did they pick CryEngine over Unreal? CryEngine was used in a couple of FPSes and mods, while Unreal was used by huge chunks of the industry and independent developers; even if they were equally unsuited, it'd be vastly easier to find staff that could work with Unreal, reducing training and debugging time. Hell, UT2004 had a level that was a big space battle where you board an enemy mothership, doing one of Star Citizen's big draws 8 years before it was even announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95JjCQBQ7N8.

But no, they go with the engine nobody in their industry uses or knows how to use, then jump in with no plan for the project whatsoever, then add on new features in the middle of development. It's nice that CryTek came in to help them, but enthusiasm isn't going to save you when you're that keen on loving yourself over.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Agrajag posted:

im being super serious posting here now: how does ben poop, pee, and shower? i've asked before and i have yet to get an answer. like seriously his arms dont even have full range of motion

https://www.quora.com/How-do-the-obese-groom-themselves-Wash-themselves-cut-their-toe-nails-wash-their-bodies-etc

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

:gary::gary::gary::gary::gary:
PARP in ear = Derek all night
:gary::gary::gary::gary::gary:

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Btw, the official popsicle peking order is...

1) Buglord
2) Nap Ghost
3) The Great Twist
4) Everything else in no particular order

Good lord nobody loving cares. Go away. This is a comedy forum and you are posting precisely 0 comedy.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

No, keep doing it. Take it all seriously and respond as if everyone here is taking it seriously. You'll go far.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It is completely inexplicable to me that a new studio is being built. Like even if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is doing just fine, why would they basically strip-mine the Austin studio to build one in LA....? and if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is totally hosed and out of money, how they can possibly be wasting whatever is left on constructing a studio? There is no level to approach it that makes sense :psyduck:

Same reason people buy cars they really can't afford, it's a status symbol that tells their sunk backers that CIG has plenty of money and is therefore fine.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Jesus, it's like the little rumble you feel right before an earthquake knocks everything over. They're not even trying to hide what they're doing anymore; do they seriously want Hollywood that bad? They already have a bad rep there, who would work with them?

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Pedo Evel Knievel loses all his bitcoins, decides to slam into the Grand Canyon that is STAR CITIZEN

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

SeraphEightyFour posted:

Hard to describe, but it certainly wasn't you finally figuring out how to use a god drat computer, was it Mr. Software Engineer?

Hugged to death, good job assholes.

Dropbox has you so triggered you're shaking IRL???

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

D_Smart posted:

That's like saying Democrats have no business talking to Fox News. It's all relative.

Also...https://twitter.com/voxday/status/662995332029161472

Someone said it best I thought; and is precisely the same campaign the people who don't like me, wage incessantly.

"this whole "disavow this person I don't like" thing is repellent, straight out of the SJW playbook."

Derek, when you go on, I would emphasize that you're a successful black man as much as possible. Rub it in his face the whole way and see how far it goes before he ends the interview. I'd recommend just not going on his show because he's a racist that nobody respects, but if you want to do it that badly I'd at least do that to not look like you totally support his views.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Actually, yeah, why does this guy want to talk to you if he thinks you're a subhuman? He does know you're black, right?

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Soooooooo, he wants me (who is non-White btw) on a brainstorm session to talk about my challenges and how my involvement in Star Citizen came this far, why? Pray tell. I'm curious like that.

He's probably telling you that's what he want to talk about, but the actual interview is probably going to be a thinly-veiled attack on Sandi ruining the project by being a woman, or on you for being a black person. You know, he'll probably make it about how bad SC has to be for "one of your kind" to notice it, something like that. If you come in letting him lead the conversation it'll go to hell fast either way.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

D_Smart posted:

No I won't because it has NOTHING to do with GAMING. Vox Day (it's a pseudonym btw) is a notable game design and goes way back to the roots of the industry. Big difference.

So is Chris Roberts, you don't see me giving him the time of day.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Cowcaster, please tell me he bought back his account right before you probated him, that little double-decker ban was beautiful :swoon:

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

What is the big deal with TIE Fighter's missions, anyway? I remember the dynamic music and the nicer flight model and AI, but not the missions.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Wise Learned Man posted:

I think he's just learned the mods' sleeping schedules, so he manages to sneak in a few hours of overnight shitposting for each :10bux:

15, he buys avs too :haw:

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Loiosh posted:

So, in answer to this, I never played Freelancer. I wasn't a fan of Wing Commander beyond WC 1, as I preferred the storytelling out of Lucasarts games (X-Wing, Tie Fighter). M.A.N.T.I.S. ... lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF5700_Mantis ug, one of my worst purchases ever.

Independence War (I, II), FreeSpace (1, 2) and Nexus were the things I followed. I missed Freelancer, WC 2,3,4 and Privateer.

In regards to your point about history, finding examples like that is a bit more difficult. The industry is relatively young and tends to burn people out, finding people who return is rare. Jordan Mechner, Roberta Williams, Tim Schaffer, Derek Smart, Peter Molyneux, Ron Gilbert, John Carmack, Sid Meier, Will Wright are some of the names I can think off the top of my head who were around at that time and involved in design. So, I'd have to agree with you, in terms of finding an example of a designer who left gaming for 10 years, then returned, I cannot think of an example off the top of my head.

For that matter, he pulled the exact same crap with Strike Commander, coming in like a year late with nothing to show for it. StarLancer might've been on time - it's hard to say, given that nobody seems to remember that that game exists - but even then it had a bunch of pointless cruft, like how EVERY carrier's menu had to be a set of prerendered movies and how every briefing had to have its own movie render. At this point it's probably harder to find a project he didn't end up being a liability to.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Gryphon0468 posted:

Wow you dug even deeper than I thought, I assumed you did a simple google search and got my email from my Twitter or something. Would have been much easier. Look me up on Facebook, we could go grab drinks some time.

how can one man be so owned

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

What troubled times we live in. Now the word of Ben is canon but Chris' isn't.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Dude, do you have something constructive to say or you just getting off on random attacks? I know my limitations as a writer. I know it's not for everyone. You seem to think you know everything about me and how I feel about myself, let me assure you - you don't. I responded, because it's not the first time a comment like this has been sent my way and felt it was important to state why we do what we do. If you have a problem with that, okay.

The offer to replace the stick with your head still stands. Maybe having you up there would give me a better understanding of how I can get over myself, since you seem to know of so much.

This is "stating why you do what you do"? This is basically a meltdown letter split up into little pieces. You're (presumably) representing people besides yourself, would you send this to someone giving you crap via your site's "Contact Us" page?

Yes, you're in a business where people criticize every thing you do or don't do, and it's really stressful to get poo poo on when you did the best you could, but you still have an image to maintain. If you don't agree with what someone has to say, you can just say "Thank you, we'll keep that in mind" or "That sounds like a good idea". But putting on public record that you'll fling poo poo back whenever someone flings poo poo at you... well, that pretty much puts you on Sandi's level.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Madcosby posted:

no, its actually just as dumb as cig

THANK YOU

:axe: :fail: :flag: :hampants: :arnie: :sadpeanut: :shibe: :suezo:

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

holy loving poo poo

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

I was gonna say you should NSFW that picture, but now that I think about it I'm really not even sure what about it would be not work safe.

They have jet engines for assholes :barf:

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

I still kinda feel sad about Kinetic Void :(

ManofManyAliases posted:

It is just me, or has this whole exchange since my introduction to the forums been very Redditesque? I mean, there was applause, light banter, salt, castigation and indifference; a drama about a drama.

:justpost: about spacegames and why they do or don't suck, you're getting poo poo on because you want this conversation to be all about you. Do you think people care about my Magical Journey to the Something Awfuls? Probably not, and if they did there's a forum for that anyway.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 22, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'd like to think

gently caress, why do people always do this!? It's the bane of every healthy software project, never mind tire fires like this one.

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

can I haz all ur base are belong to us?

PETER IS MY LORD AND SAVIOR

SAVIOUR

WHATEVER

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No argument here, but in the beginning Chris did have value. Nobody else had the chutzpah to get all this money. Pity that wasn't enough and he had to actually gently caress up the game he dreamed of.

But... but Frontier was right next to them the whole time. If it wasn't for Roberts, wouldn't Frontier have gotten at least some of that crazy money?

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

Darkpriest667 posted:

Chinese fish are bad. They are not constructed of quality materials and no one should eat them. Also their numbers are inflated.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X14000918

like 15 years back but also http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v414/n6863/full/414534a.html

dark baby please :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 29, 2011

1500 posted:

jpegs use a lossy compression algorithm (although you can run it as a loss less), meaning that it will add artifacts to an image. Halo and ringing effects, most people would not really see them and as such its fine for most people who just shoot photo's on your phone or even just for fun. But if you are going to do any post effects or editing you don't want those artifacts, if you are going to print really large formats you don't want to have them either. Because most random images a person will take will contain a "messy" random pattern those artifacts are "hidden". Jpegs are really bad at high frequency transitions, for instance text on a page, going from white to black is high frequency content and as such jpegs really screw them up. But in any case unless you are a pro/simi pro photographer, or you are going to do image processing on the image jpegs are just fine.

So that's a yes, then?

• Locked thread