Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Can someone tell me why exactly these guys need to have so many god drat studios? I've been reading through the thread, on and off, and I've got the impression that they've got something ridiculous like 8 studios located in various parts of the world?

What do they need these places for? Apparently its not for developing a playable game, given that the impression I'm getting is that their "Star Marine" segment is going to have just 2 game modes with one map each (and yet their backers poo poo on EA. Even EA managed to ship Battlefront with more content than that). Their Squadron 42 thing that no-one seems to even want anymore is going to now come out in 5 different parts instead of one full game, I can only assume this is because they're running short on cash and are hoping that the first part will be so astoundingly good it'll draw in new backers for their .jpeg Ship Persistant Universe, when the money will actually be spent on the remaining 4 parts of Sq.42?

Did they ever explain why they are trying to shoehorn a persistent universe game into something running on Cryengine? How they hell do they expect the scaling of that to work? I understand that theres a playable PU alpha thing available? How well or poorly doesit run once you get more than about 25 players in the same zone? I should imagine it runs like absolute dogshit given the trouble PGI had increasing the amount of Mechs in MWO to 24 Players per map (and they too had money thrown at them by the bucketload).

Tell you what, I'm glad I never put any money down for this game, figured I'd just wait and see how it all turns out in the end before buying anything. In terms of entertainment value gained so far, its definitely the best bang for buck game I've spent no money on.

Also, this fat mans necklace, that he always wears. Its a cocaine stash, right, like the below?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

That would be better than the reality, which is that it is a bauble called the Pilgrim's cross from the critically acclaimed hit movie Wing Commander. I think he even wore it on his wedding day.

Just....wow. Is there anything about Star citizen or its head employees that isn't a trainwreck or a non-stop stream of cringeworthy comedy?

alphabettitouretti posted:

Also I'd like to add that I love it when a new person joins the thread and expresses disbelief at the state of things. It's easy to forget how utterly ludicrous this thing sounds when you've been following it for years and each stupid event is followed by something even more mind boggling.
I'm amazed that theres people that still seem to think that anything about this games development process is in any way normal, and are genuinely still expecting the final product to be of such quality that it completely redefines gaming. The scope of the PU and what they've promised for it is so broad that I'd genuinely be surprised if more than about 20% of their backers get what they were expecting from it, if it releases at all.

fuctifino posted:

He wears it like a religious cross.
Maybe some of these Redditors need to get one, after-all they behave like a cult.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 29, 2016

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

The late Roger Ebert described the script of that movie as "submoronic". Ben is the biggest fan.

I've never watched the Wing Commander movie. I'll have to go and find a copy later on and give it a good watch to see what passes as a good plot and acting in Chris Roberts mind.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Whats the point in banning people on Reddit? You just make another account in 2 seconds and get right back to your shitposting.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

AP posted:

That's 3 separate bugs in 15 seconds and all the bloke was trying to do was pull a gun out and walk down some stairs.

So what you're saying is that its preforming better than expected?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

How many concepts of ships have they actually sold? What percentage of concept ships have actually been turned into actual in-game assets?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

All the mo-cap shot so far was for "Episode 1" of Squadron 42, apparently.

Romes128 posted:

so theres 10 hours of movie just in ep1?

So, basically, Chris is just spending the backer money making his Wing Commander story he always wanted, backers be damned.

Its going to play like some old, early 90's, PC game, you know the ones that used to have the little 480x240 Fullscreen videos in some crappy format that popped up half way through you being in the middle of a fight or whatever telling you of advancements in the lackluster plot (while at the same time not actually bothering to pause the game)? Except, this time, its all done in expensive mo-cap, but with similarly bad acting and dialogue.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

Has anyone yet pointed out that this monstrosity would have a net rotational inertia unless the boxes are of different weights? I know, there are computers to compensate for gyroscopic precession when turning, and it's not at all that the people designing this hard sci-fi full of fidelity don't know high school physics.

What I love about this is that for some reason, its the cargo that is kept under the false gravity of centripetal force, and not the segment that contains the crew, because that makes perfect sense, when the ships are all assumed to have artificial gravity throughout.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically the Vanduul ships use a weird "lay-down" configuration that should make everything fit easier. Plus it has the added benefit of making any two-seater craft they'd implement turn into Star Centipede

Either way the cockpit and controls should be laughably oversized for human pilots, but I think they handwave that away by saying the Vanduul ships humans are flying are refit for human pilots by some company.

How the hell does that make any sense compared to reclined couches?

Prone pilot seating was tried after WW2 in the Gloster Meteor F8 plane.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor_F8_%22Prone_Pilot%22

It was found to cause a form of motion sickness as well as restrict your rear view. But I guess that doesn't matter to space aliens, and the benefits of having your nose up the arse of their co-pilot outweighed the cons for their weird alien sensibilities.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Seeing as theres a free weekend and I've never spent any money on this "game", I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately this keeps happening:

Quality gaming experience this, its definitely going to revolutionize the way future games are made. Where do I throw money at these guys?

Edit: After several attempts it decided to behave itself and downloaded at a decent speed.

Guess I'll just have to play the game and make fun of the janky physics instead.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

iminers posted:

Can anyone tell me why when i run to my ship in my hangar, and bump into it, it glides across my hangar and clips into the ground.

Apparently they used the mass of Ben as the mass for the players character.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 30, 2016

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Well after faffing around in the game for the last couple of hours I've come to the conclusion that I still don't feel like giving these guys any money. Its a pretty game visually, but drat do the physics need a lot of work.

Literally the first time I spawned a ship, wandered out to find it, had to put up with some time-wasting airlock "cutscenes", walked over to it, had control taken away from my player character again to essentially display another mini cutscene climbing into the ship. Then once inside, I point at the pilot chair, and once again have control taken away from me to just sit down on the drat thing. Its very jarring. Got back up (cutscene) because I had noticed there was another door on the ship and went to see if there was anything in there like one of those fully modelled functional toilets that I'd heard about. Open the door to that and my character then proceeds to clip through the floor of the ship because someone has rammed me. Walk backwards, and discover I'm now standing on the station deck again, not in my ship and just clipping through the walls of it.

I don't really understand what their incentive is to open this to the non-paying public for the weekend? I can only assume they're really desperate for those Arena Commander testers given that their backers no longer want to play what they're calling "an unbalanced mess" these days.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

so....this game still not made yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Samizdata posted:

quote:

So, I stopped the video at 2:15 to answer the question. I came to this game for immersive gameplay. For a level of complexity that sets new standards. I don't want to push a button and have an action completed. I want to have that action be something that I create myself. Say, making a meal on a ship. I want to have to open a drawer and pull it out. Open it up. Collect other ingredients to prepare the meal. Put it in the microwave. Cook it. Then sit down properly and eat it. Whether that is alone or with other crewmates. Will doing this take time? Yes. Should there be a mechanic to bypass this? Yes. Professions should offer similarly fine details. Let me in on the accountant side of running a business. Do my books balance at the end of the week? Will I need to do more of something to reach a goal that I've set for myself earlier? Do I have enough UEC to pay my crews or NPC's for the work they've done for me as my employees? Are their enough raw materials in my inventory to get those widgets made at the factory so I can sell them in my shoppes? This is the level of detail I want in Star Citizen. I'd go even deeper than this if I thought more people would get on board.
Then I discover the meal exploded into the microwave, and there's a minigame where I have to scrape off the cooked on food. Then, if I am eating a meal with my crew, I want there to be the chance for one of my crew or myself to start vomiting up white stuff prior to birthing a chestburster. Given the excellent FPS in the game, I am quite sure we will be able to handle it promptly without it slaughtering us all by hiding outside the ship and clipping through the walls to murder us.

Basically what the guy was saying was "I want a life, but not my actual one, because that ones lovely due to me spending all my money on pictures of spaceships".

• Locked thread