Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

If you do have an Idris, I would wait for the model to be released to wander around in before selling it, as I noticed the retaliator prices went crazy when that happened. I don't know why you would have one to begin with but that's going to be the time to sell it. Assuming the company doesn't shutter before they let you wander around their big model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Has it all imploded yet?

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Skellybones posted:

Ok so I'm mad about the gravity generators

They have at least one ship and space station that use rotating sections to create a simulacrum of gravity in parts, that's cool, that's how it would work IRL and in some stations in Elite

But everything has gravity generators so there's no point in having spinners

Let alone on the loving launch pads. A ship trying to take off has to actually hit an escape velocity to launch, in space. Then once it exits the gravity field it has to compensate for the engines being at 100% with suddenly no resistance slowing it down.

That's not a terribly huge issue as long as there is nothing above the launch pad that the ship could conceivably rubber band into.

But landing? What a nightmare that would be. You're floating towards the pad in 0g, nothing to it. Then you hit the invisible gravity zone and your ship is assailed by 1g punching you down directly into the deck plating. You don't even have atmospheric resistance to slow you down. You're forced into an unpowered crash every time you want to land.

And how does the station gravity interact with the ship gravity? Does a landed ship have 2g worth of gravity? Is that why the ladder climbing is so slow?

And what the gently caress happens to the rotating section ship when it lands and takes station gravity

If they have fine control over gravity they ought to just have it grab ahold of the ship and gently set it down, and catapult it out. Stuff that can accelerate drastically shouldn't be trying to mechanically land if they can just snatch it and place it wherever imo. I think the fanboys who want BSG-style combat landings would hate that though.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

i played the current version with a friend who has one of the stupid big constellations. it was actually kind of fun, but still just completely broken... turrets are worse than useless. If they want people to play it they need to add some kind of... guidance system, or maybe even just an overlay to tell you what direction you are pointing, and possibly tone down the motion blur and make mouse movements more precise in the turret. every single time someone tried to eva, we ran into problems collecting the junk you can collect now. it seems like the ships state is all dependent and built into the person sitting in the pilot chair, so if you get up to do anything else, everything goes off including shields and such. not really ideal

• Locked thread