Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I think the most important thing to take away from all this is that if you want to make $100000000, all you have to do is make a kickstarter where you say you're making a game with everything. In fact, for the FAQ, you can just have one question and answer:

Q: Will this game have ______?
A: Absolutely, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Somebody posted a Star Citizen video on the Firefly reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefly/comments/407oqy/star_citizen_firefly_trailer/

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Is there an up to date list of all the features/things Chris Roberts has promised will be in Star Citizen somewhere? Preferably with sources and dates for the promises.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really hope someone is keeping track of all the broken promises so it can be posted in one place for people to admire.

I am also working on something for this, it's not up yet but it will appear at http://shitizen.club

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Really I'm only mad they didn't send all that sweet sweet pissed-away moolah to me. I could have quit my job and written a couple of books by now with that kind of free time.

Hm. Let me try this: Is anybody out there willing to 'donate' a small amount of money (say, somewhere between 25K and 100K) so that I can write a book? I'll send you a .jpg of what the cover will look like if you choose to participate in this fundraiser.

Will you throw in LTI?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

I've been reading this thread for a while but there's one thing I'm curious about and don't really understand: where did the PAAARP thing come from?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Sisyphus posted:

definitely happening

This game is such a scam. What the gently caress.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

I keep hearing good things about The Expanse. One of my friends told me that it might be the new Firefly. I watched the first few episodes and kind of just lost interest. Does it get better eventually? Or is it just not for me?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

I just want to take a moment here to congratulate Chris Roberts and the rest of the team on delivering Star Marine. I no longer have any doubts in this project, if they delivered Star Marine then obviously they can deliver everything else as well!

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Posted 4 hours ago in a Star Marine thread:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Madcosby posted:

Can't wait for the movie

So yes it is still in the pipeline. I do actually kind of like to say something because I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like “Oh the documentary is cancelled or Where’s the documentary!?”. With our youtube channel, you have basically what we were planning to with the documentary and from the very very beginning. :v:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

"People that pledged for Star Marine already have their FPS"

Boy, the news of this very modest and hushed launch sure spread fast.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Toops posted:

Guys, I'm literally giddy.

Like, I'm loving shaking.

Guys... It's starting.

I know how you feel. I need to go to sleep but I'm too excited right now.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Did I completely misunderstand the monitor question in 10ftc? To me it sounded like the actual question was "Hey I have multiple monitors on my desk, can I move some HUD like the chat to a second monitor?" but the question Chris answered was "Hey I have multiple virtual monitors in my ship, can I move my chat to one of those monitors?"

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Iglocska posted:

I'm someone that has given CR a few hundred dollars and I am definitely not happy with this announcement. What I don't get is how so many backers seem to think "oh well, it was a minor feature anyway" and be OK with it.

I get the feeling that a lot of backers are okay with this because "it's an alpha". Even though a while ago Chris literally told them that the first release of Star Marine was finished and it would be playable in a few weeks, "things change in development and we just have to be patient".
Also, I saw this kind of attitude a lot on reddit when going through the Star Marine comments:
"Sure, the fps might be super buggy and not at all at an AAA level, but that's okay, we've only been in development for 3 years, it'll surely be better than COD in Alpha 2.2 or Alpha 2.3 or Alpha 2.99. And anyway this is the only game I play already, so any improvements they make will only be improving something that's already great!"

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 26, 2016

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

It's possible he won't be found legally accountable, but in the public eye, and in the development world, his name will still be associated with the aftermath. He's hosed, no two ways about it. His shifty eyes during that part of 10FTC look like fear to me.

I agree, but he'll probably still be able to get another kickstarter funded when he runs out of money. There will be lots of people who will think that Star Citizen wasn't really his fault, the vision was great, etc. I mean, just look at how many times people have been fooled by Peter Molyneux.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

:siren: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

sorla78 posted:

let's start a crowdfunding campaign of a real investigative journalist to write a longform article about star citizen and to check on everything. What do we need for that? 50-100k?

That's quite a cheap project but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find the two backers for it without offering LTi

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Remember how CIG was supposed to split Star Citizen and Squadron 42 into two seperate AAA games that you will have to buy separately? Well, even things like this are getting delayed because "the change needs some more engineering":

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Hold on, can you even have 50 ships in one server?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

"Everything is possible, it's just a matter of time and money"

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Eonwe posted:

but for reals tho, where'd that picture get posted, I want to follow along there

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42z63c/the_saga_of_star_marine_an_indepth_analysis_of/

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Bundle of Keys posted:

Haha, I think I got banned 3 times from the chat. They don't like questions about star marine at all.

To be fair Chris did say that it annoys them when people ask about it.

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 27, 2016

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

G0RF posted:

I've honestly considered setting up a blog for the Pro Tier participants here to do just that. Something slick, mobile-friendly, with easy subject tagging, timeline tools and other useful organizational tools that present and cross-reference data in easy-to-read ways.

I don't want to do it alone because I've got a family, hobbies and life outside of this and there's so much to unearth it would be another full time job. But there is so much intelligence buried in this thread and we all take for granted the Scam Citizen narrative as obviously true because, in the course of all the shitposts, photoshop jobs, funny videos, animated gifs and Sperg flame-ups, we've absorbed so much actual Intel that we can't help but see the macro disaster at work and the dishonest dealings that power CIG's money machine. As I wrote to Mirificus recently, there is so much gold buried in this and earlier threads, and it could easily be unearthed, separated from the dross, and made available online.

It seems to me in the public interest that we put our intelligence to good use-- whether journalistically, satirically, or otherwise-- for the sake of removing scales from the eyes of those blinded by the light of this incredible lie. I sometimes write effort posts like the aforementioned for this very reason, even though I do so expecting it will only reach a few people, if that. I believe it is morally good to shine light on corruption, to hold liars to account for their lies, to enlighten the deluded and suckered.

Derek Smart does this-- yet he does it in a self-serving way and his notorious reputation makes him so very easy for many to dismiss. He certainly has his own agenda and it's a self-interested one. When he says he wants to hold Chris and Sandi to account, you can't help but think he wants them to beg for mercy and profess their great sins of referring to him as a terrible developer and the rest. He deserves credit, ample credit, for what he has done and continues to do to expose the corruption. But the Star Citizen faithful have antibodies that immediately attack anything he says before it can reach their brains and change their minds. That is a hinderance and when he DOES break stories, the Gaming Media always frames their articles in another "Derek Smart Vs Chris & Sandi narrative" and, in the process, poisons the well.

The Gaming Media is cowardly, incurious, and driven largely to seek their short term economic reward of maximizing clicks and pop-ups and minimizing resource costs. They will sooner write 100 articles about "Check out these Fallout 4 mods that let you turn deathclaws into Randy Savage!" than one real piece of investigative journalism about Star Citizen. Even though it would be so, so easy because CIG's public record is bursting at the seams with smoking guns, mostly in the forms of their written or spoken statements.

I love this thread and like/respect a great many here and I'm certainly not seeking to take anything away from it by proposing this idea. I just think we often sit around waiting for someone -- a journalist, Derek Smart, whoever -- to say something about this mess. Then we delight in the convulsions produced and we hope (usually futilely) for the Gaming Media to act. Meanwhile, the great CIG fleecing machine lumbers on.

We know the truth. We have the data. We have distinct voices and often hilarious insights. Why don't we put it to use? Not for our own aggrandizement, not for advertising dollars, but simply because a great wrong is underway? If we can't stop it, we can at least document it for the sake of those likely to be harmed by it. It truly is a moral wrong. Whether or not the Gaming Press ever wakes up, we are awake. The dream is a nightmare, and if we can wake the sleepers with the unfortunate truth, shouldn't we?

I've been playing with some ideas for a website dedicated to the stuff found in this thread, I would love to work with people who have ideas and can produce content as I'm more of a developer myself and less of an idea man. If anybody wants to work on something with me just let me know. Also I have the domain http://shitizen.club and would love to find a good use for it.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

What do you guys think of my website idea:
I'll probably do it with material design.
I'll have a section called "the pipeline" which will have a bunch of small cards that represent the promised features. Each card will have a very short overview of the promise, the source of the promise, a tl;dr of the current status of the promise and maybe an icon indicating if the promise has been fulfilled or not. These cards will be searchable and sortable. Also, each card will be have links to any articles posted about these cards, which leads me to the other major section of the website: Articles.
The articles section will be a blog type thing where authorized users can post articles and link them with the cards in the pipeline for organization.

I'm also thinking of having comments sections pretty much under every page and possibly a separate "leave your thoughts" page.

I'll probably throw together a first version of this tomorrow or over the weekend. Any ideas are welcome.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Ezekeel posted:

Seriously though the sheer amount of promises scattered over tons of articles, videos and so on will make this a massive project.

Yeah I'm really hoping there will be people here interested in helping with the content once I have the website up and running. There's just way too much out there to do this alone. I'll gladly give anyone with a history in this thread full rights to modify and add content.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

The last few pages were a ride. It's amazing how quick the favour of brown sea and reddit shitizens has turned. Even better if Crobber is blasé about all of this. I imagine the panic will set in sharpish if it begins to have a noticeable impact on funding.

There should be a historical artifacts section, because there are things like the Beer email chain, Chris' meltdown letter and the numerous videos which should be catalogued and will be referenced by articles.

Also an image gallery containing the many excellent gifs and shops that have been posted. We may have lost some stuff from the stargur incident.

Your pipeline idea is interesting for highlighting the many and varied promises Crobber has made, but it would be helpful to also have a general timeline giving an overview of general happenings.

Alright, so I'm thinking the website will consist of:

Articles - these can reference items in pipeline and historical artifacts, can also be accesed through anything they reference (so for example when looking at an item in the pipeline, you can open any article that references that item)
Pipeline - all the promised things, sortable and searchable
Historical Artifacts - these can reference items in the pipeline
Timeline - basically a series of events displayed in a linear manner which can either be just free-form text or can also reference any/all of the above - articles, pipeline items, historical artifacts

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys, I wrote a bad fake letter earlier today and it's been making the rounds. Welp, apparently CIG knows exactly who I am and I got this email from Sandi today.

Lowtax told me there was nothing he could do to protect me from going to prison over what I did. I'm really scared.

P.S. This email is totally a real one and not a very poor MS paint job that I did in like 10 minutes. For real. Okay, bye.

You should have gone with Cloud Stimperium Games

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Necatus posted:

Tried transcribing the interview she gave where she discusses some of this... gave up at the 37 minute mark though, there was just too much bullshit to handle.

http://pastebin.com/h1GFd2E9

There's what I've got so far (apologies for any typos that may be lurking around). If anyone can bear to finish it off, feel free.

Here's an interesting bit...

I listened to that interesting bit, my girlfriend thought it was comedy. She told me that it kinda sounded like Parks & Rec.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-is-free-to-try-for-a-week/

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

I don't get this. Why the heck would they ban for this? This makes absolutely no sense.

Also, did you have previous punishments on your account? Or did they straight up skip their five-strike system because they hate this internet comedy forum?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

That pizza looks great, but how do you get it to not stick to the pan?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

You need either a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, olive oil, or both. I like cast iron because it heats evenly.

I will try this, thanks!

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Mirificus posted:

The drama from Star Citizens over a console release would be so lovely to witness.

Honestly, I don't think shitizens would see a console port as Chris Roberts lying to them. I think the reaction will be more like "This is good for star citizen, because..."

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Who do I talk to if I want to become a space moderator on /r/squadron42 ?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Fuzzy Modem posted:

How are people still saying it doesn't exist? I play it all the time. If Star Citizen as it stands now is all it would ever be, I would still play it all the time. Forever. (But then I still play Dig Dug.)

The guy was obviously loving with us. This post is clearly satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

I want to get it, but I also want to wait for the inevitable "game of the year" edition that has the DLC included.

I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop on steam. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great game and that I'll enjoy it (I loved the first XCOM), but who the hell pays 50 euros for a computer game :v:

• Locked thread