Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Wow that guy comes across as a Grade-A rear end in a top hat. "gently caress you, we have your money." No accountability.

I'm already sorry for the people who buy his game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Star Citizen faithful never stop being funny (to wipe bunnycreep from your mind):

quote:

You do know that the commercial launch is Squadron 42, and it is very much on track for a launch this year.
There's no evidence that Squadron 42 is on any track at all, but CIG said it's almost done so it's true. -someone who "invested" $2250

quote:

Whichever way it swings, both 'sides' of this ridiculous argument are stooping more and more to hyperbole in a desperate attempt to somehow prove themselves more right. Why do you give so many fucks?

How is this any different from any other AAA game development cycle? Practically the only thing blowing this into a disproportional shitfest is that arsewalloping thundercunt Derek who is determined to undermine a direct competitor to his utter train wreck of a game that would make even Spore hang its head in shame.

Let's just agree to the fact that the game will be late. The game won't meet all your expectations (duh). The game will hopefully be fun. And leave it at that.

Meanwhile, the PTU has been a giggle. It's the first time in any game I've been able to fly around in a multicrewed ship with mates, get out and EVA around an abandoned station then jump in and go pew pew some pirates. Had plenty hours of fun on it already (which is more that can be said for anything DS has ever released in his 20 years in the industry, just saying.)
Both sides are being ridiculous, but Derek Smart is the devil. Derek's game and CIG can't possibly be sucking at the same time -someone who paid $180

(sorry Derek)

quote:

I really don't get the hype of No Man's Sky - looks to me like a bland arcade "explore the universe"-game
All these other space games of which there are release- or playable pre-release versions, they're bland and boring. Unlike Star Citizen which is 100% perfect in my mind. -someone who donated 450 bucks

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

[...]
also I still have a giant book of bug reports from my days at EQ, should I turn this thread into a crazy game of

IS THIS A STAR CITIZEN BUG OR A EQ BUG??
Many pages old but holy poo poo DO THIS.

Also, and this goes back to whoever compared the CIG PR videos to dev logs like Squad's: I've gotten into arguments about this shitshow with former-EVE-players-now-SC-cultists in the past, and what always gets me are claims that there's "great progress that's easy to see because open development!" and how "delays are normal, stop click bait QQ" and other variants of "you don't understand game development". Sometimes from people I thought were smarter (:v:) than that.

I'm frequently reminded of this whenever I get updates from Kickstarters that actually share their development progress (eg. The Mandate or Infinity: Battlescape). They tell you what their goals are, how they're trying to achieve those goals, where they failed/got stuck and what they intend to do about that, what they're working on specifically (not just buzzwords like PERSISTENCE) et al. But no, endless talk shows with Evil Witch, Fat Blob and Fatter Blob where they talk about nothing, that's excellent information and open development, and criticizing their information output is just attention whoring and trolling.

But considering the sort of people who hold these opinions, should I really be surprised?

quote:

Server's are not very stable. Getting about 20 mins play time before they time out. Though that may just be because it's prime time and heavily loaded.
It's not because the game is a total nightmare on a technical level that has gotten worse over time, no Sir. It must be me! (not an abusive relationship at all)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

:perfect:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
104 donuts and Ben.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pgabz makes amazing videos at least, despite the :argh: - many anus man is just mad and boring, on the other hand.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
MOMA: :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did MOMA pull a puppemaster defense yet?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Furia posted:

Like 20 pages ago saying that we took something too seriously or something like that. The real question is did you really have to ask?

Also moma why wont you answer my question? I am genuinely curious

Not really (I assumed he did multiple times but couldn't remember). Basically I needed to know, for :science:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

wait, just remind me, this is the dude that got refunded?

Yeah he got fed up, got his refund, and promptly "reinvested" it (was that 2500 bucks or am I thinking of the wrong person?) after 2.0 reeled him back in. I think he stopped posting right after that came out and people gave him endless poo poo for it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Yep. It was a nasty process and it took forever. Turns out, if you don't put a "Date we actually intend to fulfill your order" line somewhere in your system, it's pretty loving difficult to keep your customers from getting a chargeback 3-4 months later.

I keep hearing songs and going "Man that would make a great soundtrack for a Major Tom video"

I'm glad of it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm eagerly awaiting new pgabz videos every time I'm on YouTube, never stop :pgabz:

The fact cultists freak out about those videos is a bonus. Gameplay from 2015 :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah "they're about to replace their engine" 5 years into the project gives me confidence, brb buying some LTI tokens and a bunch of ships next sale!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
so many puns :drat:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

imagine a moma tophat hybrid

actually don't it's a nightmare

Wouldn't that be like seraph?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

for gently caress shake :argh:

looks like you found something even more :argh: grrrrrr :argh: than yourself, match made in heaven etc.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Star Citizen: Why so much money?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
LMBO pgabz is both :argh: AND bad at English, sorry Peter, they win :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sandra needs to stop with the creepy office shots on Facebook jfc...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

/r/dereksmart finds out about the Level article:

I wonder whatever their reaction might be? /s

These people have literal brain damage and should all be institutionalized :wtchris:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha when I was reading the scans I missed the interview. This is some hilarious passive-aggressive bullshit, Sandi tell Chris he's a moron, thx.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SurfaceDetail posted:

First few sentences

"Im gonna poop my pants if I get in the same room as Chris. Hes such a physics nerd"

A true shitizen.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

Of course they haven't been showing any Procedurally Generated Planets because of the upcoming Games Con.
They will still add another month with polish on it from what PC Gamer saw probably some time ago.

Glad Star Marine is back in the open.
Can't remember who started making it, but they hosed it up so much CIG had to spend a year fixing it.
~$2500 backer :laffo:

Also whoever called it an obscure German gaming mag a few pages ago, it's one of two (the other is GameStar which is also frequently shilling for Clown Emporium Games, not sure what it is with Germans and this game) large German language gaming magazines, it's not some small time shill outfit getting in the spotlight all of a sudden.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah just saying it's not some niche magazine getting on the shill train, like some people not familiar with German gaming publications might assume.

They may have been on it for a while with or without being paid for anything (I only read their hardware section occasionally, so I don't know whether they've been SC fanboys for a while or just after/for getting this exclusive interview/tour).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr.PayDay posted:

We Germans are crazy for Space Games, Simulations and Sci-Fi-stuff, and on top of that Wing Commander was one of the biggest PC System sellers in the history of the german gaming market, it also fueled the rise and sold copies of PC Mags .
Wing Commander was one of the biggest boosts for the transition from Amiga 500, Mega Drive and Super Nintendo to PC Gaming in Germany.
Despite his failed Projects, CRobbers still gets unlimited leap of faith and trust in the German Gaming Journalism. Especially PC Games really never ever mentioned problems, instead they follow the convention of speech that agrees on "iconic projects need time and faith, CRobbers can do it, lets stay hyped "

I wanted to make a farming simulator joke but apparently that's not made in Germany but instead not far from where I live so :aaa:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

The laughable "ticklegate" and the turncoat "insider" rumors are nothing but the desperate final gasps of a hostile troll commune before the inevitable Gamescom reveal. These toxic individuals know they've lost, and worse yet, they know they have to put their hopes in Chris and Star Citizen now that their own horses, No Man's Sky and Elite, have completely failed to live up to expectations. From the beginning we've said that only a truly legendary dev like Chris could realize such an ambitious concept, and so far we've certainly been right. Both No Man's Sky and Elite tried to realize truly massive, lifelike universes where the player could do anything, be anything, and both failed in a most spectacular fashion. Our only hope, as always, is Chris and Star Citizen, all the others have failed to achieve "the dream".

I love these quotes, please keep them coming.

Real game with limited yet achievable scope failed to achieve "the dream" of "lifelike universes where the player could do/be anything". Except none of these games ever promised this Second Life in Space poo poo in the first place, it's all in cultists' heads.

Keep hoping guys, maybe in ten more years and a few hundred more millions Clown Emporium Games will make it happen :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Please refer to what The Man :pgabz: said about self owns.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

if it actually happened my bet is on accidental

rsi/cig has hundreds of accounts and it's p easy to make a mistake (I am an actual auditor and this poo poo happens all the time)

although after ticklegate I have no more understanding of this project and every time I give rsi the benefit of the doubt it turns out they did something even worse

so who knows, maybe now chris and sandi are feeling the country and rsi are draining healthcare accounts and ben is raiding the fridge for the last time and everyone is shredding docs and there's an orgy in the custom built snack room and one guy has hung himself with a coiled rope made from big benny's xxl tshirts because the derekolypse has come
Hi Karl :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well she believes it so it must be true. Best ego since she was a little girl.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have the gif of Ben struggling to stand up from a couch with his little T-rex arms flailing around?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Are any of the cultists getting worried that they've shown literally nothing new at gamescom so far or are they all convinced that they're waiting until later in the exhibition to actually show something worth giving a poo poo about?

It's Shitizens, you shouldn't even have to ask this :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Am I reading this right, is E:D adding space luxury liners/tourism? If so, :laffo: - Clown Emporium Games beaten again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iswed posted:

So, I've been away and out of the shitizen loop for eons. Last time I actually read any news about star citizen was when alpha 2 was about to be released.

I caught up on the latest drama (was a thrill ride), but why is the general consensus about the game so negative now? Is it just because of Sandi being a horrible person?

Also, would you advise me backing out and asking for a refund? I have a freelancer and a 350r, (maybe £150 in total) back then I had just spent the money and treated it like any other early access game so I'm not really worried if the game is never released and I loose the money. But if CR is just spending that cash on custom doors and snuff videos for him and his wife to enjoy, that's another story.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784565

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know, "dreams", sunk cost fallacy and all, but ultimately I'll never understand this. There has to be brain damage involved. After I backed SC during the first/only actual crowdfunding phase I quickly regretted it when they kept milking people and selling JPEGs for hundreds of dollars after 20 million (they clearly had and were making more than enough money to do the game they said they wanted to make, so clearly they wouldn't have needed mine), got my first refund a year ago after Crobizzle's letter to The Escapist and finally got the final $15 refunded (and my account closed) last week because why not.

But in a fan forum for (former) EVE players I've been watching the same people who keep making GBS threads on NMS for "broken promises" and were already doing "this is just hype, let's wait for the real game" in the lead-up to NMS' release, ie. people who pride themselves on being too smart to fall for those filthy marketing tricks of hype with vertical slices, drop into pure fanboy stances whenever SC is the topic to the point they turned Star Citizen threads into toxic believer-only shitholes like the official forums or :reddit:. These people are actually playing games made today, and yet they are the typical shitizens who pour more money into this shitshow to prove critics wrong based on nothing but hype, because Clown Emporium Games' "tech" is so groundbreaking.

quote:

FPS stuff isn't looking comically bad either.

quote:

Yeah that looked pretty amazing in terms of tech and gameplay style integration, all seamlessly done.

Looks like they might actually make good on the hype promises.

quote:

They must be years ahead of any other studio with this tech.
I am very impressed, I might have to throw some more money at them.

quote:

I need to rewatch this a couple of times tomorrow.
And what to buy..

quote:

That looks loving awesome and exactly what i want.

Good stuff.

:psyboom:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying the alpha persistent universe at the moment.

Being limited to the dozen-or-so orbitals and moons around a gas giant does limit the scope at the moment, but the clever way they have the missions setup to interact with player outlaws is producing some fun emergent gameplay.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Have been very surprised out how much fun I've been having playing on the limited content SC has tbh. Just dicking around with four of us on a connie is pretty sweet. They are going to have to figure out anti-griefing mechanics at some point, though I suppose the Eve nullsec player in me kinda feels that it's incumbent on me to bring protection for my parked ship so it doesn't get repeatedly ganked by campers while I'm out exploring a space station.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Plenty of those, it's not a particularly good or finished system atm in any way but that's to be expected. I also expect the pirate places to have some sort of security on their own later too, working differently of course, as I doubt you'd let people just murder each other freely on top of your station, especially if you cater to people of that sort.

Maybe you could pay them off, have some rep thing or whatever, God knows. Either way loving the progress here.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

Is this loving game out yet? Can I finally find peace?

FYI the stuff that I was dreaming about for SC is already mostly in the alpha. From a mechanical point of view the last of the bits that were considered pie-in-the-sky bullshit will be coming in the next two patches (star marine in 2.6, planets/cargo/economy in 3.0)

Everything after that is optimization, content generation and frilly secondary mechanics that were never considered to be challenging by any developer who knows his stuff.

Roberts normal problem is that he aims for pie-in-the-sky goals but then has to cut it short due to a lack of funding (while still producing a good game). SC raised $4.5 million last month.....

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck!

It looks like the mechanics and foundation for something really very very special is all there.

It just needs to avoid the mistakes of Elite - miles wide, but incredibly shallow and repetitive.

As gamers we tend to consume content at a prodigiuos rate, can SC provide enough to keep people engaged? or provide enough tools/scenarios that we can create our own?

Also netcode. I cant help but feel that good netcode that supports a decent number of players per instance interacting with each other, with good hitreg will be the other thing that makes or breaks things. Much of that is out of their hands though I guess, and more down to the infrastructure quality of the net around the world itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Haha, for a moment i thought you were being serious.

Elite Dangerous shows how to do it.

That type of system supporting player control would be workable. ED turned me off because I was doing it for some faceless NPC organisation I didn't give a poo poo about, but other than that I liked it.

Edit: For those who don't know ED has an instancing system as well. At a very simple level, control of an area is managed by completing missions. These missions are by nature designed to introduce conflict between competing groups of players. Some of them are logistics missions that involve getting into the warzone without getting killed. Others are combat missions that involve entering hot-zones that players from both sides fight in. Amalgamated scores across all instances over a prolonged period were used to determine ownership.

It wasn't quite perfect because it was still too easy to avoid other players (leading to tedious "optimal" play), but a refined version of this is how you would do it. Once you mix in all the avenues of competition that SC could provide, things could get interesting.

After 10+ years, EVE is still doing well with only procedurally generated content.
Just need a good source for conflict and a flexible exploration/mission system and it is all taken care of.

• Locked thread