Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
After being gone for months, I have come back to share my parents' awesome catte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

D_Smart posted:

...and taken over $100M out of gamers coffers. That hurts even more. Though most people don't even think about that part.

Partly because they've got a number of people who threw thousand of dollars at them? Back when they hit a million "backers", the estimate came to about $90 per backer, even though that number was inflated because they counted free accounts and whatever, so the actual amount per backer was even higher, which is not really something normal in the video gaming world as far as I know?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
When this steaming shitpile collapses in on itself, is it actually going to make gaming history or is it just going to be a footnote? Who is honestly going to be suprised apart from the die hard whales?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Furia posted:

Sadly, yes.

When it inevitably does it'll taint the whole crowdfunding system. People are going to look back with doubt at the accountability provided by the system.

Someone mentioned earlier that those who stood to lose the most are the little people that participated in this, that they'll get slapped on the wrist and everyone else will pay the bill. But it won't be just the people that lost their money there: it'll be every other indie developer that has an idea they need money for.

I mean, at least from far away Chris & co. seem like experienced developers and producers and such. If they couldn't make it with a huge budget, how will an indie developer without experience make it with 100,000th of the budget SC had, even if the scope is much smaller?

It's probably going to have a lot to do with how media reports it - "We saw it coming" vs "Greatest crowdsourcing flop ever" sort of thing. Or they'll blame us.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Of course it's nonsense, but how can cro have his movie without mocap? As it stands, SC is full of capably made art assets that only work well as static objects because *someone* won't compromise.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I need to use this readit site to post for free anything I like unless it's contrary to popular opinion.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I know spergs imagine serving drinks online but why in hell would anyone ever buy drinks? Even if you take CR at his word and imagine everything comes to pass and is amazing - why? Anyone who's ever played any of the major MMOS knows that that nobody actually hangs out at inns.

Isn't the supposed point of that serving drinks to your fake space passengers so they don't throw fake space tantrums?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

quote:

You know that old adage about "act with what you know"? Those words, used by Sandi in that recorded talent tape, were used on someone within CS dead in front of the Santa Monica HR person. The CS person was not fired that day. The CS person left.

I must be really dense because I don't understand what happened there, can someone explain using stupid people words?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
gently caress, I WAS being dense - I was wondering why "act with what you know" would be words that are the breaking point in someone quitting their job. Then I watched the video and it slowly clicked. Thanks and hvala, Whiskey and Loon.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

well i was just trying to make a joke about unsuccessful goon projects but I guess I'm wrong

I could go the citizen route and freak out and call you all liars or trolls or something though IDK what to do

I backed Kinetic Void, it was supposed to be made by some goons (except it was never finished). Does that count?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Star Citizen - bringing PC gaming back to consoles!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
My favorite hard liquor is the one I don't have to drink.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I'm trying to think of a scenario where CCP allowed EVE players to permanently "own" a ship, so no matter what happens to it, you always have it - you get blown up, clone in a station and you have your ship waiting for you again, modules and all. I honestly can't think of a scenario that isn't a clusteruck.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Chin posted:

You should educate yourself about game design.

I'm so sorry :( Is there a book or something I should read? I want to know what it's like to be c-ro :(

edit: I think c-ro is a very good name because it sounds close to zero

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I wanted to see what reddit had to say about this idiocy and gave up after a total of maybe 20 words. Go whales!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Lemme guess, the guy who should pay money to CIG for someone elses refund is to blame, and rightfully so?

Well obviously, he shouldn't have bought stuff if it wasn't directly from CIG.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Thirsty Dog posted:

Going back to the loving idiot with his "this is the best space sim I've ever played and would happily play this buggy turd for the rest of my life" viewpoint and his insistence that he's SEEN the work therefore he knows best...

... that Shotgun thing is almost definitely just the asset pipeline stuff, right? Concept art and 3d models being shown and commented on?

In other words, the stuff that even us rabid jackasses think CIG does pretty well?

Hey, Fuzzy Modem, little tip for you: Art is not code. 3D models are not gameplay mechanics. Upvoting is not properly implementing multiplayer code.

Good artists do not make a good game without good direction.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
One day, we'll stop being surprised at the selective reasoning reddit is so good at. Perhaps not today, but some day.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I actually watched Fuzzy's trailer and for an indie production it's not bad. Acting and voice work is pretty loving bad and the concept is generic, but the execution is likable. Let me put it this way - I'd be far far happier being attached to that project than to SC.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
You're far more invested in this than I am, I only saw something about making fun of his work and link to his work, had no idea of the story behind it. Now that I do, for gently caress's sake fuzzy, don't learn business practices from c-ro!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Good luck!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Hope Eonwe doesn't beat you to it

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I hope Eonwe's ok :ohdear:

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
So close :(

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

El Spamo posted:

Seriouspost: Someone mentioned about LTI being like EVE letting you buy from them a guaranteed fitted and ready to fly ship to have if you get blown out of space and don't have anything handy.

They do. Rookie frigates. Everyone gets one, all the time. If you dock at a station in your pod and you don't happen to have a ship there you get one. It's actually kind of pesky because you can't melt the drat things and my packratty nature abhors just trashing stuff. If you lose everything, and I mean everything, and are down to zero spacebucks (you didn't insure your ship lol) in the rear end-end of nowhere you can still send your clone back to safe empire space, pick up your free frigate and go start grinding back up from nothing.

But then again you can actually play EVE (why would you), so they actually figured out things like 'how do we make sure our players can keep playing even if they lose in the most complete and total manner possible?'

That was probably me and I didn't mean rookie ships. I just tried imagining if you could, I dunno, insure a black ops with real money to have it forever and what it would do to the game (nothing good).

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I think I'm gonna make an account and try this thing for free and document my findings.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

best make sure you're running AMD products otherwise oh boy

this might be difficult or something for you

I don't, this should be a doozy!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
So far so good, the installer seems to be stuck installing directX and apparently something about it made my network stuff go completely wonky.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Well, I'm now waiting for the download to complete, should take an hour. Here are my notes so far:

quote:

Install installer, directx installer freezes sorta taking my network interfaces with it, requires hard reboot
email actually arrives after delay
reading prerelease testing terms, why Games Games Games
oh god the downloader is taking ALL the bandwidth

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Well, my foray into the world of star citizen is over. My notes on this mediocricity of nothing actually there:

quote:

Install installer, directx installer freezes sorta taking my network interfaces with it, requires hard reboot
email actually arrives after delay
reading prerelease testing terms, why Games Games Games
oh god the downloader is taking ALL the bandwidth
ready to launch!
the headbob is horrible and nauseating, how do you gently caress that up with an fps engine
I got stuck in a railing
Got a ship, found after walking around the stupid station, got in, took off, rammed a landed ship at which point my computer informed me landing gear has been deployed, I have landed and also contact. Then exploded.
The computer is freaking annoying verbalizing every goddamn thing
You can fly around and uhhh, that's it I guess - the "immersive" forced animations are annoying the first time, don't wanna try the second
It ran smoothly without changing any settings, but still didn't seem smooth, something was off
The flight model is awesome, would compare to battlefield
Uninstalling it only removed the installer, leaving 30 gigs of immersion on my hard drive

It does make me want to play Elite again though, so that's a good thing.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

G0RF posted:

The journey isn't over. Save your friends if you can!

Are we now the anticult?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sounds like you had a better experience than most.

Probably because I didn't attempt to play this for more than about 10 minutes. Most of that time was spent lost on the stupid concourse (what's the point of that bland uninteresting thing) or trying to figure out controls without going to options (thanks to helpful non-existant tips). Ok, it's possible I also spent most of that time watching forced animations which are really loving annoying. Yes, I definitely want to watch an airlock cycle and a door slowly open all the time. One thing I did like was getting into one of those ships and watching the cockpit close on you, but to call that a positive gameplay feature would be... becoming a redditor.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
These poor backers, they don't dare criticize any aspect of the game without apologizing profusely and assuring everyone they actually love it. Like, for each word of criticism there's about 50 of assurance and apologies. What do you call that condition?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

G0RF posted:

5:04 - AN INGAME SPACESHIP SHOW-ROOM!: They are working on animations of NPCs in a spaceship showroom-- using mo-cap animations to have salesman pitching ships, customers reacting, and champagne being served. WTF?!

:chanpop:

I honestly can't believe that. How this could be consuming ANYONE's time, given the state of the game, is mind-blowing to me!

Commando, this would be called immersive realism, a term you're obviously not familiar with. Get educated or you won't last long in the 'Universe.

(making stuff like that is relatively easy, making actualy gameplay mechanics is apparently beyond them)

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

hakimashou posted:

My camera doesn't capture red, it looked better in person.

Doesn't really look more appetizing tbh

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

I can see Oldman was added in by you, which is well done and funny.

But is that helmet opening unfolding from CIG? I mean, they want to put that in the 'game' at some point? Or did you add those too yourself? I'm having a hard time believing Crobberts specifically wanted it like that. :psyduck:

edit: basically I'm having trouble distinguishing what might be a funny "lol I'm gonna make the helmet unfold like a loving flower, this overly complicated helmet opening animation is so loving dumb nothing would actually work like this, think of all the mechanical poo poo that could and would go wrong haha", and the reality of Mushmouth sitting down with the designers and gesturing wildly mumbling about making it "unfold" and "look cool".

That's all og SC. Haven't you seen any "gameplay" videos? The whole thing is riddled with stupid poo poo like that, you can't get into a ship without bits doing complicated ballet movements to get out of your way.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Heh, it doesn't even fit all the way, c'mon modelers!

So, emphasis is apparently on flashy stuff to look at, not so much actual game mechanics. Sounds good to me!

edit: Am I thinking of style over substance? I think I am!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
And for reference, if you're a sedentary gently caress at 220 pounds like I am, your intake to maintain weight is 2300-2400 calories daily as a very rough estimate. And maintaining weight as a fat sedentary gently caress is a bad idea as well.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

So it's literally just a slightly grimdark Wing Commander. Holy poo poo Roberts never loving learns

And WC4 had a civil war that was an Admiral's doing for reasons. Wouldn't exactly call him a visionary storyteller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I think it's more of an incompetence thing still, Roberts doesn't care how something works, it just has to fit his vision (of looking cool AS gently caress)

• Locked thread