Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:gary::gooncamp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sandi and Ben and several others were in Austin recently if I remember that bar meetup announcement correctly. Wonder what they were doing when they weren't drinking.

Edit: Wrong. Coming to Austin soon.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 29, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

:gary::cumpolice:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol

I get it.

Also this is so wasteful and pointless: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/08...aves-over-time/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:gary::fh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:gowron:

Edit: :gary:

Edit 2: Playing video games with other goons sounds excruciating.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 30, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

The TX office was supposed to be completely shutdown according to my sources. Instead, in a move designed to "prove Derek Smart wrong" (seriously), they leased out a much smaller place and will have less than a handful of people there.
Wait wait wait. If your sources are right that's absolute lunacy. What will they be doing? Make work to spite Derek Smart?

Edit: Derek is loving right! His predictions came true!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ahahahaha

It was an accident, but you still got owned and that's funny.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 30, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, they fired all the PU staff awhile back, aside from Tony. And of course the entire Foundry 42 character design team apparently upped and quit.

D_Smart posted:

:gary: PAAAAAAARRP
Holy poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What Berious said. The cult really wants the PU and it's always just. around. the. corner. They talk about it constantly. But they've got nothing! There's no PU. They can focus on Squadron 42 but the team designing that ... quit. This is heading for a total collapse. Holy poo poo holy poo poo.

Edit: Give Lowtax money!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sir, I am interested in acquiring your JPEGs, perhaps for a reasonable fee. Let us meet to discuss such an opportunity.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you're interested in Star Citizen but can't wait -- you're looking for the ultimate gaming experience -- I know a place. I'm talking MASSIVE persistent universes, space, simulators, mini-games, social. In every conceivable setting and combination. And for less money. Here's a link.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Neurotic Jew :allears:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
With CIG firing almost everyone in Austin, will more ex-employees speak out? I hope so.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hopper posted:

Clearly the blog hinges on it being NOVEMBER,... something something original TOS (I did not understand that legalese).
And Tuesday probably because of some stuff that must first be done on Monday before the blog is published, something for which it must be Novemeber and Monday is the 2nd and therefore the first working day of November when you can file poo poo and stuff.

I.e. Derek will hand in suing papers on Monday and tell us about it in his blog on Tuesday when it is already done so CIG can't preliminarily injunct him or some legalese ninjitsu.

Disclaimer: I am as competent at law as CIG is at making a functioning game, so my information is pre-alpha, don't rely on it.

tl;dr: :gary: PAAAAARP
My body is ready.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Found an old link that still works, I bookmark and save the real crazy stuff, I took some screen grabs but these are only a sample of the full horror within.

SUN Docs

This kinda reminds me of that manifesto Anders Breivik wrote before killing all those people in Norway.

He was a big MMO player, too, just saying.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That kind of stuff is pretty frequent in milsperg clans in video games. Lots of medals, rules, theorycrating, almost all of which amounts to absolutely nothing because milspergs are loving garbage and their theories never apply to actual game mechanics.
Ah. That makes sense.

But they seriously "court martialed" a deaf guy? Can you imagine being "court martialed" by some random assholes on the internet? Do they do it over Skype? "There will now be a recess as defense counsel requests Mountain Dew and Cheetos." *hits computer desk with gavel*

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

There is literally no reason. He has not been successful in 15 years. Microsoft had to boot his stupid rear end off the last game project he was on in order to ship the loving thing and cut a ton of the crap he wanted. It turned out a great game in spite of Chris Roberts, not because of him. He was butthurt by this and clearly wanted to make movies anyway, so he left the industry. This is the first thing he's done in over a decade. The hero worship of CRoberts is completely unjustified. He hasn't been relevant in gaming for a long time and he's still operating under the 1980s assumption that a very small group of people can produce great things and everyone else can gently caress off. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug along with the laughable promise that this game will be everything to everyone and it will be the only game you need to play for the rest of your life. He's a washed-up, used car salesman bilking money from desperate nerds who are ruining their own lives over a fantasy. Its just like those guys ignorant about stocks buying up the poo poo some boiler room fraud sells them, thinking that they'll get rich off of it. Instead of exploiting people's greed, he's exploiting...I don't know what, their dreams?

And he got booted out of Hollywood because he thought he could break contract with an Oscar-winning actor and think people would still work with him. I gather once he got the money he thought he could do both: make a 10 hour movie and make his dream game that Microsoft 'ruined'. Except he's doing it in the most incompetent fashion possible. I've got no respect for CRoberts, just like other cons. Whether it was intentional or unintentional, it doesn't matter anymore.

No game that has ever had what Star Citizen has happened to it (missed every deadline, delays, no concrete release of anything, glitchy demos, bad whispering before the game even comes out) has ever ended well. Not one. Just because Chris Roberts made some great games thirty years ago doesn't justify this devotion and lack of accountability. And there is nothing in his past history that he can overcome this. In fact, there's more evidence that he can't rather than can.
The thing is, a lot of what CRoberts did was not terrible: trading on nostalgia, crowdfunding, savvy marketing and tapping into built-up demand for space games after the industry had starved the genre for a decade. The spacegame genre had been pretty sparse since Freespace 2. But then he goes and turns $93+ million into a cockup that's now on the verge of going super critical. There is an asteroid-belt sized pile of poo poo about to collide with a very big and expensive space fan.

For Star Citizen fans, I see them often making the point that video game development is volatile, so we shouldn't freak out when there are layoffs, things go awry -- this is a normal part of the process and we should stick to CRoberts' vision. But I want to say that *this is why you should be very wary of promises made by video game developers.* This is an industry built on the bones of bankrupt companies and broken dreams. Star Citizen is mainly shaping up to being an enormous disaster because it involves crowdfunding instead of a big corporation losing its rear end. In terms of dollar amounts lost Gizmondo was several times bigger as a failure, but no one remembers it because it was a taco-shaped handheld device and it was big investors who got screwed.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mukip posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

CiG got 4 million more bucks this month. I get the skepticism regarding their promises but I don't see how the company offices are going to be shuttered any time soon. It seems like they can just raise another 3-4 mil almost whenever they like by pulling a CitizenCon and a new ship sale. Can anyone hazard a guess at what their monthly expenses must be like for their staffing levels, etc?
The caveat is that October and November is when CIG makes most of its money for the year *and* they're still down 20% compared to 2014 and we're not factoring in refunds (which may be relatively small, but still). Last November they made $6 million and I don't see them topping it.

I agree with your larger point though. They're still bringing in ... quite a lot of money. They're probably going to stick around for awhile.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 1, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They're *this* close to becoming self-aware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3e213e/chris_roberts_the_steve_jobs_of_gaming/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And from an anon Austin dev earlier in October:

quote:

Pros
Pay checks don't bounce.....at least so far. Smart people in the development ranks. Some really smart people. Love working with those who have passion.

Cons
Complete and Total Financial mismanagement. The rumors within the company are rampant. Many fear they will lose their job in weeks. Communication is poor. Development is stunted, reprioritized and ridiculed

Advice to Management
CEO needs to go....Cannot believe how abusive senior management is.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Porsche = the douchiest of all luxury brand cars.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Plus Sandi apparently hates TX.
OK, now I'm mad.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

The end result is predicted to be a catastrophic disaster of epic proportions. And we all have a front row seat to the carnage as it unfolds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Md_nDXAOZ8

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr9_GfeoCjk

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tsyni posted:

I've been trying to follow along, but what is "parrrrrrrrp"? The sound of Gary Oldman's lips, or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpyingiCwV8

:gary: paaaaaaaaaaaaaarp

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

Hey guys it looks like there's a new project coming up that we should all get behind. :gary:
This is the greatest thing to ever happen. :pray:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

But there are other power ballads that are not lovely. What's your favorite?
I have power R&B in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4A1K4lXDo

:gary:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I bet with 99% certainty that Chris Roberts was getting drunk on an upper-deck business class flight when he came up with that idea. Then fired off an email to MAKE IT HAPPEN immediately upon landing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:f5h::unsmigghh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SquirrelGrip posted:

are we at peak stupid yet
We're not heading toward peak stupid, but rather a tear in the stupid-space-time continuum, when the very fabric of reality rips apart and plunges the thread into a universe of infinite stupidity.

It's a universe of pure Star Citizen.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BigMouthSingers posted:

The last thing you'd see if you're on 2 wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-QLaoOWX-w&t=102s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know how before posting, you spend a lot of time researching the subject and making sure you've got a grasp on it.

Well I didn't do any of that.

But I'm still posting.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hungry_bear_grr posted:

I get the feeling that a lot of redditors are really investing their ego into this and take someone making fun of something they love as a personal threat. Also they post on a place where anyone who criticizes them gets downvoted so it makes them more sure that they're "right." As opposed to SA where everyone shits on everyone so you either learn to deal with it or leave.
Someone needs to write a goddamn sociology paper on Star Citizen. There's both resentment at "publishers" and big corporations and big money, but also loads of class resentment and competitive spending for "luxury" JPEGs that's way worse than any game I've ever seen. To participate means you're a "citizen" which has this veneer of democracy and openness but you're handing money by the wheelbarrow-load to this secretive business, which pays its employees at lower rates and subsidizes the L.A. rich lifestyle of the founders.

The actual Star Citizen universe is dystopian. A bunch of private companies selling you ships, Gary Oldman looking like a constipated Mussolini, a bunch of war. Blegh. Whatever.

The other poster made a good point, too, which is that no one needs to defend it. According to them, it's enormously successful and has accomplished all its goals! It's worth $93+ million! It's transforming the entire gaming industry as we post. It will come out and humiliate all the critics -- it's inevitable. Actually no but they believe that, and how dare you criticize it you monster. But according to them, they've already won.

It's like, even if a thing is hugely successful and people want to consume it, more and more of them can't enjoy the thing without feeling resentment that *other* people don't want to consume the thing, too. But you shouldn't actually care.

Edit: Dickeys BBQ is actually good.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 3, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
where's the post derek where's the post derek where's the post derek

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Derek Smart for every hour you hold off on releasing your blog someone is out there pledging dollars to SC. Please for the love of god save those dollars from the clutches of Croberts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OigFnuXL1NI

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Solomonic posted:

Derek if you don't post the blog you're going to disappoint my public relations department

He doesn't take kindly to unposted blogs
I doxed your cat and uncovered pics of him sniffing butt.

This is blackmail send me money or I will post.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That doesn't sound good. Over here I really shouldn't have eaten those giant breakfast tacos and drank that large glass of apple juice.

It happened about 20 minutes ago. It's late and I was hungry. But I ate too much. Now the reactor in my spaceship is going critical, if you catch my drift.

If only there was a blog post to read while I sit on this porcelain throne.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's too many goons / too many people / making too many shitposts / and not enough love to go around. Can't you see...

This is land of confusion.

• Locked thread