Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hey "Karl" serious question. What would it take for you to stop believing in star citizen? Like, a refund-me-right-now-this-is-too-hosed-up level of lost belief?

Look there is no proof you can provide that a brainwashed person won't immediately denounce as incorrect, misinformed, or all-out lies, all while claiming to remain unbiased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

3 posted:

I'm glad this long national nightmare has come to an end but why in the hell did they feel the need to split my refund between PayPal and Stripe :psyduck:

when you get the refund, be sure to let us know who the payor was

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

dont you see. dont you see this is exactly what goons wanted

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

what is BDSSE

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

some where there is a chatlog of a scam shitizen bragging about running his imgur report script on this thread.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Madcosby posted:

If people called my dad for the poo poo I post online I'd be grounded.

Pointless little story: This story takes place with flip phones around 2005ish. I once left my phone in a cab around 3am. The cabbie found it, and used it to call the number labeled "Home" which was my parents house at 3am. My dad answered, and the cabbie, after figuring out he was my father said "I have your son's phone" but my dad who didn't understand the guys accent thought I had been kidnapped. He started yelling at the cabbie "Let my son go! I won't pay any ransom!!" so the cabbie hung up and called "Brother" who was my brother I was with that evening and I got my phone back, and then the cabbie regaled us with the story.

When I called my dad afterwards he was crying and said he had just called the police. I told him thanks for not agreeing to any ransom.

a good post

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Vire posted:

Wouldn't this actually be somewhat encouraging though? That might actually be the start of a real video game vs what we have seen so far which is nothing.Just the ability to fly around shoot a ship then get out and then shoot a man would be something I guess.

A large world FPS with vehicles is Cry Engine at its core, and it's taken them 3+ years to get here its still hosed up.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Vire posted:

I didn't say impressive just you know the start something finally tangible compared to its loving nothing but lies and jpegs.

I guess but I don't see how it could inspire confidence in anyone (except star citizens)

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Octopode posted:

A "large world" in vanilla CryEngine and the one CIG is developing are vastly different beasts.

Hi Octopode, I'm a software developer. I don't develop video games so maybe I'm talking about my rear end here but lets say I wanted to make a space game the first thing I would do is make a list of things I wanted to do in my game. For example:

1. Fly spaceships in outer space
2. Seemlessly land my spaceship on a planet and exit my space ship and start shooting people with guns
3. Ability to have multiple player characters commanding / exploring / boarding a vehicle that is moving
4. Have a persistant online / MMO component
4b. Have a drink mixing mini game

To save time I entertain the idea of licensing an existing game engine instead of writing my own from scratch. This comes with one large caveat, I need to become intimately familiar with the limitations of the engine I choose. Of course, I shouldn't full commit to an engine before I'm abosolutely sure it'll do what I need it do, or at the very least, be capable (read: well written and organized code) of letting me extend it to suit my needs.

At this point I'd probably do a proof of concept. Spend, I don't know 4-6 weeks trying to to implement all the functionality in my list at the most basic level while making notes about what can't be accomplished with out further engine development and how realistic those change are. At the end of that time I should have some thing that looks almost like a very very primitive game and have a good feel for what is possible going forward.

I probably wouldve written things down like "Engine doesn't support 64bit precision", "Netcode is optimized for low-velocity, weakly predictable movement (like an FPS) and not high velocity, highly predictable movements (such as a spaceship flying through space)", "has difficultly scaling to more than 6 players on a server at once", "was it fun to play", etc.

Anyway, getting back to your post. If at any point I wrote down something along the lines of "What the engine provides and what I need to do are vastly different beasts" I'd probably at that point look for a new engine which better suits my needs, or decide that I should write my own engine from scratch. At most I've wasted a few weeks of my small dev team's time.

That is not what happened with SC, mainly because Roberts began making these decisions well AFTER deciding on using Cry Engine, because he realized the more poo poo he promised, the more money he can fleece from nerds. "ITS PRE-ALPHA" is such a retarded sentiment at this point, 3+ years on. The base mechanics shouldve have been in place (and fun to play) after a few months, or they should have been working on the engine in seclusion for however long it takes to get to that point. Instead they just keep adding more and more poo poo to the pile and poor idiots keep falling for it.

ps. i hope your wife is doing better

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Octopode posted:

You realize at the point that Star Citizen began development, CryEngine and UE3 were the only games in town as far as licensable, high-end engines, right?

If you completely ignore Source engine and Unity, then yes. But that's besides the point.

quote:

And that developing an engine from scratch is orders of magnitude more difficult than adapting even a badly-suited engine to your needs, right?

Not in this case. If what they were trying to do accomplish isn't with in the practical limits of the game engine then the opposite is true. By your logic I could blindly point to anything on this list and say "well its easier than starting from scratch". If the software library you're committed to using isn't suited your goals then youre going to have problems every step of the way.

quote:

And that, given the choice between having to adapt two equally unsuited engines to the task, it makes much more sense to actually go with the one with a developer that's willing to commit significant engineering expertise to helping you do so, right?

You'd think so but again, even with the significant engineering expertise the entire thing is a loving poo poo show where the engine is so bent out of shape literally nothing works correctly anymore. And a game like E:D has made much more progress using an in-house engine in much less time, and has well definied path for future growth.

My point (and one that many other people have already made, including derek) is that maybe at some point early on CryEngine was right for the task. When this was a single player mission based space flight sim. Roberts kept moving the goal posts to keep the money coming in without ever really thinking about what was techinically possible, or even fun from a gameplay perspective (a drink mixing mini game... really?).

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 3, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

pftc posted:

Caption this

whats the point of a turtle neck sweater without sleves

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Tarranon posted:

mr teal..

I'm sorry I totally lost my cool there.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

bethesda ruined fallout

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

Cryengine wasn't a completely ridiculous choice, it's just an odd thing to get hung up on.

It was.

You don't say "I'm going to make a game that's never been attempted before in size, scope and interactivity that will herald in a new golden age of PC gaming" *downloads cryengine_sdk.zip*

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

D_Smart posted:

We have no reason to believe that she has a degree in anything or from anywhere.

As far back as 2012, she had a LinkedIn profile listing UCLA as her college. Here is a Reddit thread discussion just that.

Since my blogs hit, the 1st and 2nd LinkedIn profiles were removed.

And shortly before I was writing The Long Con blog back in Sept 22nd, we found out that she had a 3rd LinkedIn profile setup. That one now listed UNISA as the college.

Blog excerpt:

On Sept 29th, she tweeted this suspiciously looking Dean's letter supposedly from UNISA. We think it's fake; and she's going to get deposed - under oath - over it.

This is Roger Windle on p20. He had nothing to do with marketing programs at UNISA. And he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth. We think he may have passed away.

I made a few tweets that we were looking into it. And we did.

Neither my contacts in Australia, nor our researchers here in the US were able to find ANY records of her ever attending UNISA. As in ever.

And shortly after my Tweets, when they found out we were looking into that too, sure enough, the 3rd LinkedIn profile with the UNISA college, links to its Alma Mater etc is now gone too. That's three LinkedIn profiles removed as a result of what I've been looking into.

These are the people we gave $90m to. And somehow, this is all OK.

get 'em!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

this is pretty spot on

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

derek just roberts' us

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

this jpeg is priceless

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

She brakes on a dime!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Now, let's talk rust-proofing. These JPEGs'll rust up on ya' like that, er ... shut up, Ben. Close the deal ... close the deal!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Considering all the hubub with LTI, ship production wait times, and buying digital goods for real money, and somehow stealing other peoples real money ships... how do they ever plan on releasing the persistent universe in anything except a perfectly functional and balanced state?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Why is it that croberts is listed as an officer on RSI, CIG, and Foundry 42, but each one of those "Christopher Roberts" seemed to be distinct entity only related to that one company

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...5w/appointments - RSI
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...5s/appointments - CIG
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...w4/appointments - Foundry 42

Whereas Erin Roberts has one Entry for all three appointments
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...ZQ/appointments

why

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

That "Sneak Peak" escape pod video (released yesterday) is actually recycled footage from like, a year ago

Someone points this out and then an hour later disco lando shows up to say "btw that's actually from last december. also nothing like this actually exists in the game" (the term game here is used loosely)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ro59m/atv2_05_sneakpeek_retailator_escape_pod_recovery/

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of goons who have reported refunds and where they came from. At least 5 remorseful idiots have gotten refunds from Twin Bros

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

neonbregna posted:

Who are twin bros?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

SeraphEightyFour posted:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

theultimo posted:

"Remastered" wing commander movie sounds like the mocap studios are getting work?

Now with 10 extra seconds devoted to the bulldozer scene.

jesus that web series trailer looks like it was made by a middle schooler with expensive toys

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

if u goto jail in the game u goto jail in real lief?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

Speaking of making up numbers:

3 days below 20k, and 'surprise' a sudden influx ...

hate pledging

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Chalks posted:

I thought there was some spreadsheet somewhere of their backer figures? Is that thing still up to date?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 16, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

fat sandwichs are the loving bes

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

This doesn't really answer why they are spreading out the refunds across 2 or 3 different payment processors. Wouldn't they have to pay a seperate transaction fee for each? What's the benefit there?

Best,
CIG Customer Service

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

idgi why do they have to buy EVERYTHING why not just play the game when it comes out auggghh these people are so stupid CIG please steal all their money they dont deserve it

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

happy third anniversary everyone.

the text got way to pixelated :(

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Octopode posted:

1) The promised features list you said wouldn't be included (look right there in the quote, you specifically said none of the features promised in the image you included below would be included.) includes just "FPS", not Star Marine, but FPS. So either way, you were wrong about the FPS. Even later I asked for clarification, specifically so you couldn't pull this dodge, and you said that no FPS gameplay of any kind would be included.

2) The Crucible isn't included, that was a concept sale. You might want to fire some of your "researchers". The two new included ships are the Constellation and the Retaliator. Or you can count the Vanguard and Avenger variants if you meant "in-game models" instead of "useable ships".

3) I didn't say you were wrong about persistence anywhere, and CIG never claimed 2.0 would have persistence. Reading comprehension, yo.

4) You did. You said none of the promised features listed below (in the image) would be included. EVA was one of those features.

5) Missions were a stated feature of the release, with a specific count of each type.

6) You're being deliberately obtuse here or really need to pay closer attention. Large world, in the context of Star Citizen, has been used for close to a year to refer to the 64-bit spatial positioning conversion in the engine, which is definitely in this release.

7) Again, a stated feature of the release.

8) There may or may not be, but saying that it's one large area isn't proof of that. Zones are functionally transparent to the player during gameplay, and are used for data transmission partitioning and limitation, not segmentation of play areas. That's why I specifically said it wasn't clear if they were included or not.

And when you quote something for context, you probably shouldn't ignore the second half of the same post, which also includes relevant context.

your reaction to the things he got right were 'well they never said they would be there'

what proof do you have of #6?

fps and missions both crash the game when you try to access them

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Octopode posted:

Look up 3 posts for proof of what it is. Then look at the streams; even in the short time available before crashing, it's clearly implemented.

:allears: never stop posting in this thread

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

blueberrysmith posted:

Did they post somewhere what was actually supposed to be "new" in this 2.0 release? It looks a lot like all the other leaked footage I've seen.

64 bit arithemtic (according to octopode) - but flying "long" distances causes the game to freak out and crash
fps - hidden and no one can find out
multicrew - crashes game when two people try to get in the same ship
"baby pu" - absolutely nothing is persistant

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

NotSockAccount posted:

So, are you guys hoping that they don't release the game or just release the already crappy looking game?

I'd like to formally move the CIG hate goal posts and say that the real fun begins when star citizen finally gets released an people have to come face to face with whatever still born "game" CIG manages to vibrate out the door. At some point a lot of people are going to realize that SC doesn't live up to the near the infinite potential it had in their minds, and they have nothing to show for the $1000 / $5000 / $30000 they spent on a video game.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i like how his desk looks like its made from pieces of wood you would find in an alley

while fatty and the harpy get to use their 3k airplane wing desk for their stupid show

i know that desk looks like poo poo but don't think for a moment it was cheap. it's probably from the same company they bought their stupid airplane desk.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2710129&categoryId=cat1676047

and this table

could very well be

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod3250287&categoryId=cat3250011

or

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2710307&categoryId=cat3250021

• Locked thread