Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

AP posted:

Something boxes.

each one of those desks costs $1000

[url]https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2710129&categoryId=cat1676047[/url

edit: i shouldve read the rest of the thread before quoting this

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Ragequit posted:

Those desks are definitely dumb for an office environment, but $700 for a decent desk/table is not expensive. What should they have gone with instead? Tiny $200 IKEA/MDF/70s prison (although that would have fit the theme) desks with three legged stools?

Well for one thing these desks have no cable management, drawers or cabinets. which make them pretty poor for general office use. Its purely form over function. But I think the issue is that this being a crowd funded project, you'd expect them be a little more thrify with their furnishings. There was no stretch goal for "buy us fancy desks".

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

i'm gonna show those goons just how stupid they really are *pays $1000 for a jpeg*

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

I have so much fun playing "spot the overpriced RH decor"

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2111775&categoryId=cat3900063

nickle plated finish - $595
12 bulbs ($9) - $108
toal - $702

someone please justify this

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

i work in complete darkness and whenever the maintenence guys come by to replace the overhead lights i hiss and shoo them away

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

i'm just gonna keep posting poo poo like this

stupid matching chair for their stupid airplane desk : $1700 - 2800
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod60107&categoryId=search

$900 airplane drawer or whatever
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2140447&categoryId=search

another 700 lamp

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Pièce De Résistance

you absolutely CANNOT make a proper space sim with out a $2500 nickle plated TV Easel

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690285&categoryId=cat1536029

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

how much loving money has CIG spent on that website to buy ugly overpriced furniture? goddamn

If you look at some of their other studios it becomes really apparent whats happening.

Here is CIG autsin (now closed?)

Actual desks meant to be used in an office, a whiteboard on the wall, decently lit.

Foundry 42 in germany

really utilitarian, kind of cramped but good lighthing, CABINETS

These are actual office of companies whose main goal is to do work. Santa Monica is all about chris and sandi trying to make and impress their hollywood friends, and not at all concerned with productivity when it comes to game development.

a 2nd airplane chair has hit the tower

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 26, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

i hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving. this year I'm thankful for CIG being able to develop the BDSSE in the comfort of the trendiest massed-produced luxury furniture that crowdfunding can buy!

$1400 shelf

More of that ugly airplane poo poo:

$1200 coffee table with aparently the wrong side facing the wall

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

The space under the crib doubles as storage for all my oily rags

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

thank you for this

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is what an alpha looks like for Behavior Interactive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgELu6-c50

This is what an alpha looks like for Ubisoft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAMEoJFTcw

This is what an alpha looks like for Cloud Imperium Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxsWHqk_t78

This is what the doom alpha looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfe7V-_3r0

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah it definitely fits with the demographics of Star Citizen but the interesting thing (to me) is that these traits are pretty universal across megawhales in virtually all games. Any time you see someone spending just a crazy unhealthy amount on a game, chances are they're going to fit this model closely. Star Citizen's just unique in that the whales in this game don't even start until you cross into thousands-of-dollars territory. People spending a couple hundred are considered small fry at best.

I enjoy your posts

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Hahaha, you banned the person asking questions but not the person insulting them. gently caress you Ben you piece of poo poo, hopefully when this poo poo goes belly up you'll die of a broken heart attack.

Wow, Ben really is a piece of poo poo. What a terrible way to foster a community.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Octopode can you please try to defend the statement that they need to charge for changing ship hulls because updating a database row causes too much schmeg? Also be sure to address the fact that they are planning an entire persistant universe without charging a monthly fee.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

hehe. he mad.

what if starcitizens 100mil stretch goal is stop making a game and spend all the money on poop? would they be like IT WAS A STRETCH GOAL WE ALL WANTED THIS

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Omi-Polari posted:

Mark Hamill starring as Old Man, starring alongside Gary Oldman.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

So far Sq42 is reading like what you would expect from someone who watched Starship Troopers and felt that it was a bad movie because it needed to take itself seriously.

Vanduul: but from my point of view the star citizens are evil!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

dollers per fun

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Mirificus posted:

Well, they are nothing if not consistent in their lack of quality. This Star Citizen patch is missing the inner ring and has similarly awful lettering.

My patches arrived today!

SOUADRDN 42

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

This guys living room looks like a set from a Paul Verhoeven movie

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Amarcarts posted:

+10 Awful points for the first person who can Photoshop a Constellation Fleshlight

this is from back in october

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337&pagenumber=584&perpage=40#post451643119

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Loiosh's effort posting is the worst part of this thread no one cares no one cares no one cares no one cares

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

how does piracy work if the person flying the ship is invincible

edit and also really tiny because the scaling in the engine is totally hosed

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Early next year Roberts will pawn off the Star Citizen MMO to some South Korean studio most people have never heard of. He will step down as lead designer but still retain the "Producer" title. The money remaining from the 100million pledged for SC will be funneled into directing Squadron 42 / tinder for his and Sandi's hollywood careers. Cultist will claim this was always the plan, and that anyone who knows how game development really works knew this all along, despite years of interviews claiming otherwise

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod80301&categoryId=cat3910198

INDUSTRIAL TOOL CHEST 4-DOOR MEDIA

A circa 1900 toolbox from a French automobile factory inspired our expanded version, perfectly suited to life as a console or sideboard today.

72"W x 18"D x 28"H - Special $1515 ea

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

~$34,000.00

* the flat iron desks are the only semi functional furniture on here (semi, because they make pretty poor office desks)
** only items that could individually identified
*** for pricing on the aviator chairs i assumed they went with the nicest leather because who cares about backers money
**** thats almost definitely an RH couch in the last gif but i can't identify it

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 18, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

im gonna rp a scrappy, young news reporter who finds xirself admist a secret society of rule breaks who run everywhere

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

it was me. i'm interested in this stuff.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

CashEnsign posted:

Maybe its some angry redditor or CIG in disguise trying to pose as DS and find out which goons asked for refunds to build their case against the escapist article.

Its a double jeapordy.

I pm'd a few people who i've seen made posts about getting refunds, since they started out right denying people now. I was trying to get an idea of any correlation between pledge amount and dates. It was in no way releated to the inforedux thing

edit: I was also asking permission from people to use whatever info they provided just in case there was anything interesting there.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 21, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

There is no correlation. Probably. I'm not a howstuffworksologist. It's all madness. A friend was offered less than half at the same time I was given a full refund and the amount in my account was substantially greater. He had two pledges, one half gifted by myself and no market activity in addition to all of three forum posts, my account had hundreds of transactions and I would doubt more than a single pledge that did not involve gifted credit. Furthermore I was an outstanding critic of CIG but not even remotely relevant. He put in his refund request weeks before I did.

I think the only way you could really put together a coherent picture of CIG's refunds during their period of apparently attempting to build a case against the Escapist/Smart's livejournal would be to see who was the assigned CS dude, what office they were working out of and from what funds refunds were being drawn.

I don't really want to participate beyond what I've shat out in these threads already as I've no interest in skylining someone as having given a refund when they potentially should not have or some similar bit of nonsense picked up by whoever has been tasked with trawling this thread for evidence that Pugh was our man on the inside/pubes. I don't want to be responsible for anyone potentially being shitcanned/disciplined if their poopup was doing me a solid.

But you guys should seriously get rid of Ben before he stress eats himself into an early grave. You miserable bastards used to have your downtown office across the street from a gym for goodness sake.

E; this was a bad post and I feel pretty bad about it. I don't know if there's any coming back from this I guess this is how it ends.

You're probably right and I think I'm going to take a step back from this nonsense.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

thread necromancy!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

what is the 1100 page stretch goal

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

this thread has totally cursed me because ever since i started cataloging the restoration hardware stuff, every single website i visit now shows me a banner ad from that stupid store.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

redwalrus posted:

Well, as Nicholas said:
~$34,000.00

* the flat iron desks are the only semi functional furniture on here (semi, because they make pretty poor office desks)
** only items that could individually identified
*** for pricing on the aviator chairs i assumed they went with the nicest leather because who cares about backers money
**** thats almost definitely an RH couch in the last gif but i can't identify it

Regarding these numbers. the Santa Monica walk through that Ben did shows theres at least 10 or so more of the desks in addition to the developer gulag with the original 8. also, they have at least 3 of those airplane desks, unless they are constantly clearing it off and moving it into whatever room they happen to be filming in that day (they arent).

I wish I could get access to the million mile high club because I have the feeling they would use 3d models of that awful poo poo in there

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

it looks like sandy has a crystal skull bong on her desk

for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzQ2CZsjEb4

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

death .cab for qt posted:

That's skull vodka or tequila, an ~$80 bottle of liquor

aw

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Libluini posted:

I'm not, because I'm always thinking about all the marriages ruined and the children now without a college fund. :mad:

Dont think of Star Citizen as the reason; it's just a symptom of some pre-existing mental deficiency, and an outlet for poor decision making.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

My understanding is that heat has to travel via one of three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. In a vacuum, the first two are right out - that leaves radiation, which is a slow process. Ostensibly you could toss a hot cup of coffee out the airlock, tractor it back in after an hour, and it's largely the same temperature as when you put it out there.

Lots of movies show stuff freeze when exposed to a vacuum. Although there are biological reasons why a sudden fluid expanse from low pressure can result in lowered temperatures, I don't think that applies to inorganic matter, like a spaceship's thrusters. That heat has to go somewhere.

This brings up a really good point of why EVA spacesuits are white. Radiating excess heat is difficult in a vaccuum, so it's nessecary to reflect as much of it as possible. And more practically, it makes the wearer more visible against the black backdrop of space. FIDELITY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

G0RF posted:

As CIG employees play D&D, it looks like there's another girl to add to Sandi's magic mirror...

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1870813&categoryId=cat3250041

• Locked thread