Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Citizens! I got my refund. No multiple buys/gifts/melts nonsense, just one purchase transaction.

Mid-October, sent in my request. 3 days later, auto-reply. Almost a week later, they said "Hey normally we don't do this, you actually sure you want a refund? Any press/media/nonsense that is the reason why you want to do this?" Same day I said "Yep, give me my money back, nothing in particular that set me off, just a combination of a whole bunch of stuff."

Then they asked for some details, asked how much I wanted, payment details, etc. Again, I replied back same day. Then a week later got the "We're backed up, but I'll get to it." from Mike. A week after that, "I hate template emails, but we'll get to it."

Time now is a month after my initial request, I threaten a charge back if I don't hear back in 2 days. The next day Mike says "Your refund is on the way, it'll take 5-10 business days to process." A couple days later and my credit card has been credited.

I'm now playing Star Wars Battlefront. An actual game where I can fly actual spaceships and it hasn't crashed once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

I love twin peaks but anyone who says it is the weirdest show ever made has not seen The Prisoner

Be seeing you.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

ohsosad posted:

So theoretically if i just spent $450 on a Endeavor Hope-Class with its $25 medical bays of unknown gameplay value could i roleplay as a space pirate medic that abducts and gender reassigns citizens and if they don't play along they are griefing me??

I'm sorry, please don't use the 'g' word.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I am one of the best refund-acquirers in the world beyond a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I woke up from the matrix and I know I'm buying back in to grief citizens in the PU if this ever gets released.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I liked the part when you were flying.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Eonwe posted:

I'll save you time

I'm a 20 something nerdy white dude in the IT field who plays video games

I'm sure you are shocked

Vouching part of this, I've spent some small number of minutes playing video games with Eonwe.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

"Adding legs to a millipede" feels like a good French way to describe the project's evolution. I like it.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I'm sorry, you're not allowed to post on the forums unless you've developed forum technology.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Star Citizen: The $2500 Javelin is already in the game.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

BMan posted:

babby's first gifcam

Yes, yes, and yes.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Jason Sextro posted:

I had literally never heard of this game at all until, I think, last month. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen - I literally can't comprehend donating tens of thousands of dollars for a ship that they just want to simulate the mundane. It breaks my brain every time I try to make sense of it.

Aww, that's cute, you think there are actual ships. Ask to see a (insert non-implemented ship here) in game.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

So do we think they'll hit $150m before things grind to a halt? $175m? $200m? What are the latest estimates of backing vs. burn rates, now that "backer trust" is shaken?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So a dude named Kyle Bromley, an Illfonic employee, posted this a few hours ago:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0EaVG

Sure looks nice!

This does look pretty neat. Thank goodness it's already in the game, right?...Right?...

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Guys, guys...They just need to "turn on" the Star Marine game mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOyEcb5jJfE&t=1524s

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

fuctifino posted:

If twitch is anything to go by, a disappointing amount

It's pre-alpha, I for one am not at all surprised to see "Game Development" having a higher number. Actually, I'd be surprised if there were 90+ people actually working on the game right now.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

"M-m-mmm....M-Major T-t-tom...Has released...a new...vi-PAAAAAAAARP!"

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I expect that all commandos will be entitled to redownload a 30 gb tech demo each month. Please don't let me down, CIG.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Iridium posted:

when I got my account refund, I kept an aurora I'd added to a second account for my kid.

Much in this vein, I spent the evening teaching my 8 year old daughter the importance of griefing. We "helped" poor stimpirites get their ships launched by taking over the controls and doing it ourselves, or occasionally "nudging" them off of the pad to help them get going.

Later, after I'd left her to her own devices, she cheerfully announced "DADDY! I'm annoying someone!"

I am of course incredibly proud.

Commandos who are reading this thread: Suppose the game does come out, and is functional, and works with some non-trivial number of bells and/or whistles and/or birds.

THIS is what awaits you. Not just goons griefing you, but goonspawn. Iridium took up the banner where Lowtax tried and failed. Pgabz showing us the way. The better the game actually is, the less it crashes, the more accessible it becomes, the fewer the 30+ GB redownloads, the more you have to worry. We will crash the Idrises we steal into new player Auroras in the starter zones just because we can. Be careful what you wish for.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I loaded up Star Citizen and Line of Defence tonight so you can blame them for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VytIwkBplPs

My favorite part was the frogspace-court cameo.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

So wait, Star Citizen isn't just like any other MMORPG, but now they're introducing the "Criminal Class" which I can level up in? Colour me a little suspicious...

On the other hand, I do like that there are only five levels, suggests a really short "grind" to get to the master-crime-izen achievement.

And since they're right around the corner, how does it work once you've ascended past level 5 in a private server? Will you be allowed to prestige at level 0 again or just wait out the timer? Please help I don't understand game development.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Congratulations to Chris for not only failing to deliver 2.2 in January like he said he would, but also missing February as well.

"Our goal is to release a new update every month (so January’s would be SC Alpha 2.2)."

It's okay, it was just a goal. Not even a promise or a commitment or a deadline. No need to worry. You just don't understand Gregorian development.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Toops posted:

Oh my drat that's a loving great idea. I've had several people offer to do voice acting, including a person with access to <a major name studio> so on my roadmap is writing ship computer voice scripts. I will add first-person immersion commentary scripts.

Oh by the way, if anyone wants to help write said scripts for MAXIMUM IMMERSION, please PM me. I'm just one man, and this is a goon effort.

Also, post them here to so we can all laugh.

Whale ship destruction (primarily...I suppose many of these can be used in other places):
1) "Take THAT, goonies!"
2) "Glory to the Stimpire!"
3) "Another $500 backer relieved of his or her...ha, ha...HIS...obligation toward playing this lovely game."
4) "Don't worry, friend, when you wake up we've got an open crew slot for custodian."
5) "Next time you might want to check the settings on your PvP slider."
6) "Not even a 'gf' in local. Commandos have no manners any more. Back in my day..."
7) "And thanks to the groundbreaking levels of fidelity, that whale's brainparts will float around in space until colliding with another ship, a planet, or, most likely, eaten by a bird."
8) "Another whale down. There is no limit to what we can't accomplish."
9) "Sure killing whales is fun, but did you know that instead of doing this, you could be playing Star Marine right now? It's already in the game."
10) "That ship was worth <x> espresso machines."

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

You guys are seriousposting too hard.

Imagine I made a jpeg that was the blues brothers but instead it was :gary: and an airhorn and it was the Paaaarp Brothers.

Imagine this, because I'm too lazy to actually make it.

This is the right level of effort for the idea, which I appreciate.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Technical question from someone who hasn't bought into the alpha yet, what exactly is "heat" and how does it affect the fidelity? Also, is there some hidden hotkey that will initiate the PAARP function, or will I be able to just "USE" it when the time is right.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Toops posted:

Heat's not hooked up to the damage system yet, but the working idea right now is, if you go above 100C, you'll start taking damage directly to your hull. Hull damage can never be repaired, but shields can be recharged if you park under the various "shield recharge bots" floating around the arena.

Using thrusters, boosting, charging the Neutron Paaarp Horn (NPH) all that stuff builds heat at different rates/bursts, and cooling off is constant. I can even make certain thrust directions build more heat than others. Example: left-right builds the least but is slowest, forward thrust builds the most, etc.

Basically those hooks are in there to force people to coast sometimes while they cool off, which can be risky if someone's chasing you. So if you're not mindful and just mash your thrusters till 100C, you're gonna lose mobility while you cool off, which makes you more rammable.

I think that'll add strategy and dynamism to otherwise straightforward (read: boring) ram fests.

So it will effect your fidelity nicely I thinks.

As for the Paaarp Horn, you charge it with the right mouse button, and when you release, it lets out a loud PAAAAARP sound and unleashes a vicious AoE attack. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeqpTXTp8CM&t=39s

Got it, that makes sense. Is it feasible to adjust the cooling rate higher (perhaps even have heat instantly drop to zero, but that might be imbalanced) while you're flying through the water the whales are expelling? I'm not sure how the ram notifications are generated (maybe blowholes are already incentivized), but I feel like this would add some depth and strategic decision making to ramming targeting.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I like that to an outside observer, this looks like it's been photoshopped to exclude text that makes this sound not insane.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Daztek posted:

Yes, apparently

Edit: This is not by CIG, they're two people who used to work for CIG, I think?

http://whitedragon.deviantart.com/art/UA-FIghter-Pilot-s-Uniform-99491482

Pretty sure this is the one used for Chris Roberts, if not, another Tie Fighter pilot image

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Tie-Fighter-Pilot-166776010

Goons win again, and this was something I wouldn't have thought of winning in my wildest dreams. Thank goodness we have Chris to make additional dreams for us.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Stretch goals not met :cripes:.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Would it be possible to do something like play all of the pgabz videos on loop on a screen in the Solar Plebian HUD? And if you click that screen, the video goes fullscreen while the sound effects tone down a bit? Because I'm guessing the SP "AI" is still going to ram whales, and sometimes I want to revisit pleasant memories.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Distant airhorns awoke our hero. They were coming as he suspected they may. With a grunt, he rolled out of bed and threw on a dressing gown, attendants scuttling forth to assist him. His mighty stride took him down cyan-hued corridors, then green, yellow, orange and red. (He'd had the passing idea to hold a party here once). In the distance, the airhorns grew louder, a faint murmuring filling the air under them, chants along the lines of 'release the data!' and 'what loving blog?' becoming clear. Evidently the defence line wasn't going to hold them back... if anything, they were positively ignoring it.

That again? How could they not understand him? What sickness pervaded the goons that they simply didn't know what he meant? While pondering this, one of his servitors arrived, identical to him in outward appearance and programmed to post like him unless he was in the room.

"My lord? You have failed. The goons are-"

"Failed? No. Sm-"

"Have you considered perhaps hiring a translator, so that they can understand you better my lord?"

The sounds of a robot being torn apart echoed through the cavernous corridors for a moment, before he recovered his composure.

"No. Smart does not fail. We will simply have to give them what they want."

At the end of the red corridor lay a vast circular window with opened with a wave of his hand. He strode forth onto the balcony, standing in the eye of a giant rendition of his face, carved out of a mountainside. The occasional flak shell burst nearby as the goons began to wheel up heavier artillery, but he held his ground. He raised a hand, and what passed for silence amongst these people fell as they waited to see what happened. It took him a moment to consider the options, the best possible answer. And then it was clear.

"Two weeks."

This was beautiful.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Well played, Derek. For those of you without expensive GPUs - You need a Platinum account to see this message.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

dogsupremacy posted:

Shitlord cow caster where you at homie you probated me 11/19/13 09:00pm "I'm holding you to this in two years. User loses posting" for posting this:

Look like my money is safe motherfucker.

I appreciate your services for the brief period of time I had an interest in a jpeg. Fortunately, it was the best type of insurance, the kind I never had to use.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

ZenMaster posted:

Star Citizen: A fool and his money are soon paaaarpted

I like this one.

Also, hats off to the two-key-decoders.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Toops posted:

Here, have a weekly dev update to cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnnRYfeyZo

Can we have "white box" and "grey box" (or whatever the gently caress they're called) as ship options? I will write lore for at least one of them if so.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Gravity_Storm posted:

Translation: I haven't got a frigging clue how any of this will work, but let me channel Star Trek for a second... Yeah... So Uhuru will sit at a radar of some kind, which will go Ping! Then, uhh Sulu will set the switches that go forwards and backwards, Scottie will be fixing poo poo somewhere and Kirk will just kind of stare impotently at a screen and shout at people. No role for Spock yet buy if we find a lucrative idea then you might see some kind of Spock module on the $ store.

We are trying to make the Idris handle like a ship right now which is pretty loving hard considering we are using an FPS engine from about 2005 but we have successfully disabled the Idris from bunny hopping and it no longer has actual hands.

Guys, the reason you need a captain for multi-crew ships is because someone needs to "be" the ship. So if Picard logs off or is boarded and shot or whatever, then anyone in charge of COMMS just gets stranded in space. Right? That's how they rigged up the flight game to the FPS engine? At least, that's what I remember thinking based off of all the technical documentation I scoured a while back (pgabz videos). Maybe the "Spock" module will immediately transform the 1st mate into the ship once the captain malfunctions.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

Imagine, just imagine, if CIG started out with UE4 and CR had already done the large-world stuff and had a rock-solid mmo netcode, imagine where we would be today with 111 million dollars.

Probably right about where we are now. Actually, given the amount of time they would have saved on development, we might even have had a few more concept sales.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

What if Toops is CR? I've heard the tales of his programming prowess. And there are birds.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This thread is like the biggest in joke between the biggest number of people, and every day the in joke gets a thousand more in joke with in jokes and they're all so demented and in jokey that it becomes like a fever dream to even imagine what the original joke was.

the original joke is star citizen

Never forget.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Toops, can one of the ship computers in Solar Plebeian randomly spout Lesnick quotes? Maybe voiced by someone who's obviously chewing food at the same time?

Oh goodness, I'm surprised I haven't already suggested this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Eonwe posted:

to anyone reading this thread, I am open to being paid money to post on message boards and derail topics

its kind of my thing, you'd be getting great value by hiring me

Signing up for this as well. I'm requesting double eonwe's rate because I'm on fewer ignore lists. More eyes on the prize, that's how marketing works right?

• Locked thread