Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Lesnick is certainly hilarious but I'd we could cool it on the fat people are Satan stuff that'd be nice. Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dirty Hairy posted:

I don't think most people are intentionally trying to fat shame. Some folks are genuinely concerned about how Ben's let himself go over the last few years (look at pictures of him from the Kickstarter days vs now), or they're just taking pot shots at him because he's proven himself to be a reprehensible person who also doesn't like cattes.

"Lesnick is comically fat" is one thing, along with, "man I hope that guy's okay". "All fat people are mind boggling" is all I'm saying is a little much.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

G0RF posted:

That pic has really gone the distance...

Every time Cherie appears in a Star Citizen video-- she gets a really big fan response. And of course she would- she's adorable, and unlike Sandi, she loves gaming.

This does not please Sandi. No, not one bit... So I'm afraid it's only a matter of time.

edit: Oops forgot there was a JenVar one, too...

Wait what's the story with these women and Sandi.

I feel like I'm looking a political cartoon where I almost understand the context.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So wait. The Kickstarter money isn't really money as far as refunds - it's a donation made to CIG rather than funds put towards a project. Okay. But it is money insofar as they get to rent a sweet pad with it and fund their entire company's operation with it. What?

I'm really confused about how Kickstarter money and ship money is being handled wrt CIG. It seems like they're treating it as proceeds at least by the look of their expenses. Don't people usually use Kickstarter to fuel specific, tangible things like material costs? I mean I could see, from a certain perspective, using the ship monies and private donations to pay for their own salaries. It's unethical sure but it's at least vaguely sensible from a particularly avaricious standpoint. But if it were Kickstarter money that would be in total violation to how Kickstarter works.

Most people use crowdfunding to either finance the very beginning or very end of an enterprise. To pay for plastic/mold costs for minis or to pay for servers for games. The idea of starting with what amounts to zero dollars and then renting yourself a nice home in Santa Monica with it is just sort of insane to me. How do these people function without being egged unconscious every time they walk down the street?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

I loathe the SC community and hope the game never comes out

I hope it does come out.

I hope it's an entirely bland and by the numbers fps but in space.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

I hope it does 'come out', is as functional as right now and CR and Sandi announce just then that they're taking a vacation, during which everything utterly blows up in the press and everywhere.

I just think that if it fails to come out this whole dialogue will shift about the beautiful vision that was too good for this world.

However if your average shitizen boots up a boring but functional game we get to slowly watch ennui set in and I think that would be beautiful after all this.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Imagine Crobbers face pasted onto every shitizen as they wait to arrive at yet another idnetical mission. Then a goon rams into the side of their ship. They drum their fingers on their chair.

I like to image the alpha is the whole game. That's the future I hope for Star Citizen. This alpha with maybe fewer crashes. The slow death of their spirits - no space ambulances, no space lawyers, nothing to explore. Just a big empty void and endless shooting.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

fun? in my star citizen?

But who will I pay to file my space taxes?

poo poo if I'm running a medic ship with my wife do I file jointly? Are we a business? I need someone to help me with this asap.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

No, III was. You mean II, IV, and Privateer.

III was also the shittiest Wing Commander. It had fancy new tech, but it's story sucked and it did some dumb things. The worst, in fact, was specific to Hobbes. Wing Commander II's writers took a long time building Hobbes up into a complex and interesting character.

Chris Roberts hated that.

Thus the reason Hobbes goes "Haha, surprise traitor! gently caress all Kilrathi!" and screws you over mid-game; Roberts wanted to retcon and write out everything that happened in WC2.

He had very little to do with WC4 and nothing to do with Prophecy (which was both a fun game and terrible Wing Commander).

ED: Also Erin Roberts is pretty much a hack. Chris Roberts has a lot of good ideas, but Erin does not, and he tends to hurt anything he gets his hands on. Privateer 2 was his abomination. Most disappointing pre-order I've ever made.*

* The FMV wasn't bad for a surrealist sci-fi show on the BBC. Too bad that's not Privateer.

Okay so I've never played any Wing Commander but this sounds funny. Who is Hobbes and how did CR gently caress him up?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

FrankieGoes posted:

As someone that has never lived in Chicago or New York or Detroit, Detroit style pizza is objectively the best pizza.

"New York style" is, in reality, just a wide variety of styles at variable prices.

"Seattle style pizza" is the worst. Seriously how can a major city know so little about pizza?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gryphon0468 posted:

You really are retarded.

High quality drive-by posting. Thankfully your post is in pre-alpha so it isn't fair to judge you.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey Gryhon, I was going to get into a fake fight about Pizza, but instead I'm going to ask what the gently caress you get out of posting in exactly one thread in this entire forum, and even then just swooping in to make a remark only you think is clever before fleeing like a coward.

Y'know, Just like your hero Chris-R is going to do when his Ponzi Scheme collapses and he runs off to Venezuela.

Yeah I don't get it either. I mean I can't blame a supporter for keeping their distance. Anybody pro-CS has been mocked off the forums. But if you're going to go out of your way to buy an account just to watch a completely public thread than you should reexamine your life.

As an aside I find the notion that goons are a unified anti-Citizen army hell bent on the destruction of their precious game adorable. Especially the idea that we're all marching to the orders of Admiral Smart. Seriously, I watch this thread for laughs. The delusion is amazing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I heard Gary Oldman was having a garage sale next door to the motion capture studio and Chris just kind of bumped into him and said "lol, hi Gary you busy man?" then Gary said "lmfao no man! just selling some of my old aeroplane furniture here outside this motion capture studio" then Sandi turned up in her convertible BMW and said "LMFAO you guys!!! why don't you quickly pop in here Gary, do some motion capture and we'll take the furniture, this is all really convenient!" Then Ben stuck his chins around the corner and said "OMG LMFAO LOL I am having a massive heart attack you guys please call 911"

Then they all just sat around for hours high fiving each other and loling until it went dark

Pretty sure in Hollywood this scenario still runs a couple million dollars.

This is my star shitpost for Eonwe.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dapper Dan posted:

The PTU is a 16 player instance when it is supposed to be a persistent MMO. The major systems (physics, flight simulation and the FPS component) are nowhere near finished and there's no indication of how they will work. This means it is not even a pre-alpha. It is a glorified tech demo after 4 years and 100 million dollars. In the PC Gamer Article, the author was given no preview of Squadron 42, it was just described to him and everything was just code, nothing was provided that resembled any form of game-play. This is supposed to come out this year. And if a 100 million dollar game fails, it will have the exact opposite effect. It will show that the multiplayer space-sim genre is too ponderous and too expensive. Not only that, it will destroy what little confidence is left in crowd funding.

Its not a scam. It is that Chris Roberts is completely incompetent and what he's doing now is something that he's always done. Nobody wants to admit that Freelancer was only good because of Microsoft, and it was. The man had to be kicked off the last game he made in order to get it finished.

I find the whole attitude pretty hilarious. "You goons are gonna look like idiots when this game comes out and you all want to play it" is kind of a non-issue. In fact I'd say that sort of attitude is emblematic of someone who cannot fathom admitting they are wrong. Check it out. Look how easy this is:

Hypothetical future me: I guess Star Citizen came out after all. I guess I was wrong about this game.

Oh, the horror of a thousand neckbeards laughing at me and then I ram my ship into their landing platform. Also, just putting this out there, it's not like anyone will ever know I'm a goon.

And as a final note I think that spending tens of thousands of dollars on a game that you don't have a return-on-investment in should be ridiculous no matter what the final status of Star Citizen. The fact that there are nerd naive enough to give near-investor levels of money to a company without being treated like investors is really shady.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

I was always under the impression that Latin, like every other language in existence, is not subject to a direct 1:1 word-for-word translation to other languages. So I'm loving the pedantic responses in that Reddit thread, but even more in love with the stealth troll the original poster slipped right under the radar.

Latin is not subject to a mathematical 1:1 translation to English, no, but the linguistic barrier is much lighter than it is with other languages. Latin, as a dead language, isn't really subject to the permutations that a living language would be. Latin was used as a static language of education/writing for centuries without anybody really speaking it and certainly nobody was changing it. The exact meaning of words are very well documented and reinforced by the fact the Romans themselves very likely did not speak something exactly like the Latin we learn in schools. A lot of evidence suggests that written Latin was much more formal and resistant to change than spoken Latin was.

TLDR: While you can't necessarily exchange words one for one, people with a background in Latin have a much more exacting understanding of what individual words mean than you'd expect.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tippis posted:

Apparently, the lingua franca of ancient Rome was Greek. Stephen Fry said so, so it must be true.

I'm not familiar with this reference.

My Latin teacher was a pretty smart guy but I don't claim that he is sufficient to quote as a source. Still, he told us that most linguistic evidence suggests spoken Latin, for obvious reasons, evolved into Italian, but that it was influenced by all of the late invasions of the former Roman Empire. It's pretty hard to figure out exactly what spoken Latin was like but given all of the writing we've seen from Romans was either a.) graffiti or b.) the upper crust of the upper crust, it's impossible to know for sure.

QED, the Romans spoke Italian since you can't prove something is impossible. :colbert:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

neonbregna posted:

Anyone received their black card yet?

I got one but it just says, "Donate More" on it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Agrajag posted:

so what is the final verdict of the translation of the latin phrase on the card?

Several generous and not so generous interpretations:

"Faithful until it's over."

"Faithful until we give up."

"Faithful until we retire."

"Faithful until there's no one left."

"Faithful until the fall."

None of these have the kind of 'forever and always' connotations that I think they wanted.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Re:mining chat from a couple pages ago.

I really don't think there's any way to making mining interesting. Even World of Warcraft, a game that has reduced all non-fun aspects of their game, still has:
a.) Find mining node.
b.) Click mining node.

You can try to make the finding part more interesting in a space game at least, but when you want to make ~explorer~ a distinct role, you end up treading a bit on that because that's the only way to make finding complex. You'd have to reduce the total number of nodes needed to achieve maximum haul too since if you want to make the finding part more exciting (and thus dangerous) you have to make sure the player isn't running through 2 pirate attacks and a strange nebula three times per play session.

You can't make the clicking part more interesting, not in my opinion, at least. You can try to attach some dumb minigame to it. I think even if you managed to attach a mini version of Cookie Clicker to it, it'd still be loving tedious though. The only thing that the clicking part should do is make you vulnerable and tell the whole world that you're mining, and be as simple as possible.

There is a way to make mining more interesting though - focus on the trading/economics/infrastructure part of it. You need to build refineries, hire workers, transport your ore to your facilities, manage defenses, and then sell at a high profit at the appropriate station. Basically, the business management part of it. Unfortunately nerds want mining to be the Grinding One and trader to be something else entirely, so the idea of running a mining operation like a business has simply not occurred to anyone.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RuanGacho posted:

For the record https://www.modpizza.com is Seattle pizza, not whatever your full organic hippy friend trolled you with.

I have nothing to add about star citizen itself except :gary:

Mod Pizza is okay. That's the thing about Seattle food in general - with the obvious exception of seafood, sushi, Vietnamese, etc - is that it's okay even when its good. Italian, burgers, pizza, sandwiches - they are, at best, palatable.

I've had decent-to-okay luck with chains like Mod or Pagliacchi, but they are merely edible. If I compare my best experience in Seattle to my best experience with these foods almost anywhere else, the comparison is laughable.

The best burger in Seattle is probably Lil' Woody's though, in Ballard.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RuanGacho posted:

That's kind of my point, Mod is Seattle to a T - not spectacular, but not bad, and completely liberal commie business philosophy. Seattle will never really be a western foodie city.

If Star Citizen was a Seattle restaurant, you'd be home already with the meal completed wondering if there was some better game you could get next time.

Yeah exactly. I mean, again, to reiterate, if you like seafood and/or authentic Asian cuisine, Seattle's got you covered. And coffee, and beer. That's it, though.

What I'll never understand is why you can't have a crazy co-op, locally sourced, ethical trade pizzeria that isn't also pretentious as all gently caress. Just put down some dough, olive oil, and locally sourced cheese. I'll never understand why those ideas are mutually exclusive. They aren't, I guess. It's just that there is a belief that Seattle doesn't support junk-food pizza or something.

Although Seattle does have Pies&Pints in Ravenna, so there is that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

neonbregna posted:

Your flaw is that you consider pizza food. Pizza is a garbage food like substance

What is it like being so wrong about something. I need to know.

If you mean in terms of nutritional content, sure, I guess. We're talking specifically about junk-food here.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Other hypothetical CIG packages:

- The Deletionist Package! Formats your hard drive. $15,000
- The UltraMegaSuperCompletionist Package! Includes all current, future, and even hypothetical ships. $30,000
- The UltraMegaSuperCompletionist Package Kit! Unlocks the UltraMegaSuperCompletionist Package for purchase. $45,000
- The Dream Package! Unlocks special hotline wherein you can call CIG employees and they will soothingly assure you that anything you ask will be in the game. $50,000
- The 3D Package! Unlocks the ability to buy low-resolution 3D printed models of all the ships you have JPEGS for. 3D printer not included. $60,000
- The Avenger Package! Any time you make a post on reddit about DSmart or Beer, CRoberts will send you a personal Vine of him sage-nodding. $65,000
- The Lifetime Award Package! You can send your resume to CIG and be considered for volunteer employment*. $70,000

*Must be willing to relocate to literally anywhere on Earth. Must have 4-6 years of development experience. Pizza included on alternate Fridays.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I feel like, whenever I read their patch notes, they've prioritized or fixed entirely the wrong things. It'd be like if a school bus full of puppies rammed into a subway car full of foreign delegates and the whole mess caught on fire, and the fire department showed up and changed out a lightbulb.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

D_Smart posted:

So basically they're saying that the emails aren't credible. And if they're not credible, they're saying you're lying about them.

All emails aren't credible. If anybody sends you an email, tell them to send a notarized telegram instead. Emails are for liars.

Seriously though. Why did INN report on a story based on a non-credible source and then say there's no way to credit the source?

"This just in: some guy said the sky is falling. Unfortunately some guy isn't a credible source. In other news: how awesome is Star Citizen? So awesome."

IDGI

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I often think that most Shitizens don't actually like videogames all that much. Their favorite games are from the early 90s. They have absolutely no modern videogame experience and when they do it's often derisive. ('I just never got the appeal of WoW'). They dream of pie-in-the-sky immersive, RP-heavy MMO experiences but have absolutely no understanding of how or why those ideas have always been failures. Finally they see absolutely nothing odd about playing the same game for the next 10+ years, which says to me they're thinking specifically of the MMO - but they hate playing games with other people.

How immersive do they imagine the single player, MMO-ish portion of the game is going to be with zero player interaction anyway? What would that game even look like? A literal universe simulation complete with NPCs that have proceduraly generated motivations and personalities?

These aren't people who like games, they're people who hate reality.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"So what do you do in SC?"

"hosed if I know but I can select 'sassy' for my character personality."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ROFL are you serious?

"Imagine years from now, paying retail price and enjoying a game and thinking, man what if I hadn't wasted years of my life not playing Star Citizen? What if I could have been there from the beginning. Well I am here. Feels good not living in a weird imaginary nightmare of my own creation."

:psyduck:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Anybody remember Glitchless software and their vapourware MMO, Dawn?

Dawn was this pie-in-the-sky MMO idea that got announced around the time Everquest was launching Velious. It promised everything. Proceduraly generated continents, cultures, and characters. Permadeath. Player-created-everything. All they had were a few derpy screenshots and a big FAQ that, looking back, made some absolutely ridiculous claims. For a while they were selling T-Shirts and poo poo for their vapourware game, which people started to get nervous about after like six months. Then they opened up some Newgrounds-esque flash RPG that still exists to this day.

They did far less than CIG and people got sick of it much sooner. I have no idea why people believe in CIG so much.

EDIT: I can't (and I'm not) accusing SC of being vaporware since the code obviously exists. It's the promises I'm comparing to.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

I still can't get over paying $10 above the $1000 threshold for the lovely misprinted metal concierge card that cost CIG $0.30 from a Chinese sweatshop. Like, when are they ever going to pull that out of their wallet (which is undoubtedly chained to their black utilikilt, next to their vaping robo-dick)? Who would ever ask to see it? It won't even get them a half-price drink at Starbucks.

What normal person would be unfortunate enough to look at that lovely card, hear the explanation about what it is, then not leave the room pointing and laughing at the card-holder?

Shitizens are the new Hare Krishnas, where five seconds of their bullshit should be enough to tell any sane person to run far, far away.

Really I'm only mad they didn't send all that sweet sweet pissed-away moolah to me. I could have quit my job and written a couple of books by now with that kind of free time.

Hm. Let me try this: Is anybody out there willing to 'donate' a small amount of money (say, somewhere between 25K and 100K) so that I can write a book? I'll send you a .jpg of what the cover will look like if you choose to participate in this fundraiser.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Illegal Move posted:

Will you throw in LTI?

Always yes.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ZenMaster posted:

There seem to be two MAJOR assumptions by star citizens when it comes to CIG:

1) Delays happen in game development. "Stuff" happens and dates are missed.

Ok, what delays? What happened and when? What issue caused them to delay SM? S42? Any missed deadline? Maybe I am missing the exact details and they were given, but most citizens say "stuff happens during development" (I know the throwing out of illfonic work did cause delays)

Oh man this is so spot on and it's so stupid. "Blizzard delays poo poo! Ergo, delays happen!"

The thing that people miss about publicly funded games (or publicly funded anything, really) is the Blizzard is accountable to their management and, if applicable, shareholders. So internet plebes don't need an explanation because a.) an explanation would only make things worse and b.) plebes will buy the game anyway. They still have an explanation, it's just a matter of who actually requires that explanation. It's much simpler for a company like Blizzard - just as an example here - to have a policy of 'it's done when it's done.'

In theory Shitizens are the very people to whom CIG should be accountable because in a sane universe, backers would have actually invested tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars into the game rather than ~donated~ it, and CIG would therefore be accountable to Internet weirdos who might withdraw their money and support. But they didn't and they aren't so here we are. CIG feels like they don't owe anybody an explanation because what's the worst that could happen? There's no board of investors to answer to. Even though there really should be. CIG is basically a publicly funded company that doesn't need to be accountable to their investors which is completely asinine.

This makes Sandi's Internet Bullshit Award super hilarious. In, again, a sane world, backers would be investors. Do you think you'd post a facebook picture of your, "Dealing With Investor Bullshit Award" after your investors started to feel nervous about your company? Of course you wouldn't. But these are ~donations~ so you can treat your ~customers~ like poo poo! They're whiny entitled assholes who keep demanding their money back! What babies!

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 18, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

hanales posted:

There are a lot of people out there. None of them want to do it because space games are REALLY BORING.

Seriously read what those guys fantasize about doing. Flying for hours in empty space. Loading cargo. Hauling cargo. Picking up stranded people.

I mean gently caress, games are supposed to be escapism, not tedium simulators. It's why it's a dead genre over all.

And yet, this describes Elite: Dangerous perfectly.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'll be really fascinated to see how this all pans out in the long term.

When an ~investor~ gets dicked over by a would-be company, they try to recoup their losses, maybe sue the offender, and eventually move on. There might be some hurt feelings. There will probably be some burned bridges. But ultimately both parties are protected by the professional relationship.

When backers are involved in most kickstarters there is an understanding that the project might never see the light of day. There are some positive tradeoffs: the money might fund a project that a 'real' investor won't touch. The monies involved are much smaller. There is usually an allure of free stuff or gifts for backers, should the project reach completion.

SC is the first project where ~backers~ have given money on the same scale as ~investors~. Nobody gives that kind of money away just because it's fun. Instead of financial payoff they're banking on the idea that this will be the virtual reality they've been denied after years and years of the big publishers flushing away their dreams. An investor rarely cares about the shape of the final project so long as it offers them a return on their investment, but for the whales behind SC the shape of the thing is all that really matters. How do you recoup losses on a dream?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

fuctifino posted:

Oh wow, a whole tree has spouted from my shitpost. Time to dive back in...

Is there a spreadsheet somewhere where I can see the minimum number of shitposts required for various slurs? tia

Watch out Eonwe.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

~Every subreddit~

Reasonable Person: "That is a racist thing to say. It is racist to say this thing."

Redditor: "I AM NOT A RACIST. YOU'RE A TUMBLERINA LOL GO BACK TO TUMBLR CALLING THINGS RACIST IS CENSORSHIP"

~fin~

EDIT: forgot to mention freedom of speech

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Would Hitler use reddit?

Makes you think.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

flyboi posted:

that's just insane... i have quite the extensive collection of ~retro~ consoles and even with my mounds of systems, upscalers, tvs, scart cables, whatever i haven't even scratched half of that amount of dollars on stupid man baby toys

That sounds stressful.

Have you considered dropping a few grand on ships to help you relax? For just 15K you can have every ship. :cool:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This guy is stealing my original film about reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

It's very awkward in a number of places. They made it into a multiplayer game to attempt reducing the sterility of the world. But that doesn't always work with the quintessentially single player game design from the classic Elite roots. There's a whole lot of square pegs and round holes going on between those two sides. Pacing is a huge issue and you can't really avoid it.

They're still working on improving a bunch of that stuff, but it's always gonna be a game for a niche audience. It's a good game for those people but I think a lot of people bounce off it despite thinking they'll like it.

All the game really needs is a metagame besides the weak-rear end Powerplay stuff. Or at the very least a sense of owenership and investment in those corporate struggles. Battles for resource nodes and contested systems are good, they just need to be more dynamic and useful.

• Locked thread