Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

These dog tags are much like the game they belong too, shiny, lacking any depth or utility and likely to be mistaken for something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

D1E posted:

Cutscenes in SQ42. Especially since they're porting it to the Wii now, there's no way that poo poo will appear in-engine in-game.

I for one welcome the fidelity that comes with Red Steel style cutscenes and acting quality. Only the best from Croberts teams.

*Note: Game may be a visual nov- normal nove-... Ghost written shovelware book.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"I WANTED a hairy roberts not a hairless sandi!" *throws it back in your face*

at least that's how I see it.....

Don't you understand how non-consensual drink selection is horrible? Let me go on a rambling diatribe about the horrors and how it relates to real world problems.

Or short answer: It's cute that you think he'd allow a PC anywhere close to his precious avatar to make or deliver a drink.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

G0RF posted:

:lol:

Ask him to design a mousetrap and he'd give you this...

(A video of it I mean...)

That was a game that not only existed, but was semi-reliably capable of working despite being built by a literal 6 year old. They have nothing in common.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Roflan posted:

Don't forget that ME was Bioware's first action game of any type. KotOR and Jade Empire were third person and 3d, but they were also essentially turn based. Though Jade Empire tried action a little, it was mostly an illusion.

For their first FPS, I don't think the combat in Mass Effect was that bad... Mainly because I can imagine the myriad ways in which it could've been far worse.

Alpha Protocol comes to mind, though I much, much preferred Alpha Protocol's writing.

You know, on a side note. If they really want to find a manual override for turrets, why not turn it into a cellphone app. Someone suggest that Croberts use QR codes to manually control turrets for your friends.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Samizdata posted:

Old Man's War. But their tech was pretty advanced. The title comes from the fact that lots of old people sign up towards the ends of their lives when they have nothing left. The military makes them a gene-spliced superbody and copies their consciousness into it. And even with the awesome weapons and superbodies, the casualty rates are savage.

The Forever War had the finger laser things if I remember right, I don't actually remember that book having any other military guns other than the Mad Max Earth when he came back the first time. It's been a while though. Would be fun to see CIG try to handle Relativity since they're going for the whole fidelity thing.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

So, a world where players aren't controlled by things like rules, but they can only do things I want them to do. Because...

I wonder if he's the sort of guy that would grief low level areas in pvp servers, then flip his poo poo when someone like me would build a literal campfire next to his corpse because I thought it was funnier.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

This is from a while back, but gently caress it, this thread moves too fast (Or not fast enough when it dipped into loving D&D). I legitimately want to hear Romero's thoughts on this project. The guy has to be at least somewhat self-aware after all this time. The insight into building a tire fire from someone who has done it before would be fascinating. While we're on it, any of the Kaos studios or 38 Studios devs would have some interesting views too, I'm sure.

I'm almost sad this won't actually happen.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
I missed the stream, but the Space Marine's head was far more interesting than anything CIG could poo poo out and fling around. I can't tell if the few guys defending the game were us being sarcastic or not. It's amazing when parody hits so close to home.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

I think I've seen this episode of Tom and Jerry.

It's the one that ends with Tom saying, "Don't you believe it" about the game right?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

SelenicMartian posted:

How's zero-g parkour in general?
*cue video of people working outside of the ISS*

Goddamn do I miss this game.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm all about making fun of stolen valor cases, but you gotta be sure about that stuff because there are dudes who will go over the top if you call someone out on it.

Also, American involvement in the Vietnam conflict went on into the late 70's. There are plenty of Vietnam vets in their 50's.

There are a few infamous ones including Shipley visiting the fruitcake in Florida and the adventures in that insanity. There are a few places that do it anyway and those are some of my favorite stories to read. You end up with guys that walk into a major military base during basic graduation and try to dress down a drill sergeant by pretending to be a Colonel, wearing Air Force Blues, a fruit salad ribbon rack literally over his shoulder and slacks bloused into his desert combat boots. Turns out the guy had been huffing shoe shine before he did this too.

What I'm saying is, the Stolen Valor guys and Star Citizens are about equal in terms of comedy and just as likely to dox and harass you.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

KiddieGrinder posted:

What? Is there more to this? I'd love to read about it.

I had apparently remembered the rank wrong. Google Master Sergeant Soup Sandwich and you'll find pictures of him and a milblog raking him over the coals. Bernath is the guy that had Shipley show up and call him out on his poo poo.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Goobs posted:

This one is one of the classic SV videos, makes me laugh every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOj07ClhEi8

Aside from Soup Sandwich, this guy who claimed to be SF and a Vampire, or the guy that photoshopped a Splinter Cell image for his Shovel Combat training while claiming to be a retired Ranger are probably my favorites. Video's drat good though.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 14, 2016

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

spacetoaster posted:

That's what scares me about it. I've been in 20 freaking years, and in that time the uniforms have changed many times. I bet, right now, you could probably find something out of regulation on a lot of Soldiers just because the regulations and uniforms are changing so much.

Also, you're allowed to wear your dress uniform to appropriate functions (banquets, balls, funerals, ceremonies, etc). And if you're retired you're authorized to wear your dress uniform to stuff until the day you die.

So what I'm saying is that I'd be too scared of getting it wrong to go after someone for stolen valor. Unless it was just insane. And even then I'd probably just walk away because the dude would probably be insane.

The places I usually hit up to check for Stolen Valor posts usually don't post without either a photo that's so blatantly hosed up you can't help, but notice or if they've got a DD214 to verify it, but yeah, serious problem when legit guys are called out.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Beet Wagon posted:

Good night, Thread. If I'm not back tomorrow it's because Derek Smart found my twitter and realized I was a vietcong and sent his DoD buddies after me.

Thanks for all the laffs.

:gary: : By the time I'm done beatin' information outta you, you are gonna be beggin' for paaaaaaaarp to come take you away!

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

any interest in an alien language for solar plebeian?

Between bouts of overtime, I'm working on translating a few of the startups into two other languages, loving with the audio, handing them off to a friend to see what they hear, blending them and using that as an alien script. Not going to lie though just cannibalizing the transcripts of Croberts screwing the pooch live would take a hell of a lot less effort.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thoatse posted:

My favorite one so far was when this was posted 100% irony free. Throw this on on the AV pile :p

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6477291/#Comment_6477291

Hey look, another Sci-Fi Franchise that stole hand over fist from other sources, made far too much money and pissed on the leg of their consumers. :pseudo:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

MeLKoR posted:

- "Dune" goes without saying
- Iain M. Bank's "Culture" series is the best
- Stanislaw Lem's "Fiasco" for truly alien aliens
- "Altered Carbon" series for cyberpunk
- "Mars" trilogy for colonization stuff
- Old Man's War for a modern take on Starship Troopers, quality declines in the later books

Some other sci-fi books I've enjoyed over the years, if they are part of a series it's because the rest aren't as good. Some might not be very good books but had some premise that I really liked to see explored.
- War of the Worlds (if you haven't read the book you should)
- Contact (same as before)
- Embassytown
- Roadside Picnic (inspired the Stalker movie/games)
- A Deepness in the Sky
- The Quantum Thief
- The Prefect
- Permutation City
- Blindsight
- The Dispossessed
- A Canticle for Leibowitz (no space travel here, post apocalyptic)
- Eon

poo poo, I'm forgetting a ton of them but this should get you started

Posting from way the gently caress back, but how the gently caress through this chain did 'A Mote in God's Eye' not get brought up. Bolo, CJ Cherryh's poo poo and for comedy, "The Man Kzin Wars'' to see where Crobber got his career of intellectual theft too.I enjoyed Glen Cook's Dark War (name aside) and Starfisher trilogy too.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Risc1911 posted:

Chris is from TopGun, they even stole the name: Maverick

Keep going Commando 09, you're about 100 posts off from the real source. It's even funnier than you think.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Christ, the Snakeman Faceless from Shen's Last Gift looks great. :xcom:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Picayune posted:

Ben and Alexis kinda look like they were lifted from something by Lar deSouza, although that guy is so prolific that finding the actual drawings would be beyond me. (Also I'd have to read Least I Could Do. Blech.)

Ben's design kept reminding me of Whomp! and it was a pain in the rear end trying to remember the name of that comic.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Crowdfunding is the worst thing that has happened since the Korean "free"2play model.
I mean, gamedevelopment wise, the only guys who do this are washed out game devs who want to relive their glory moments.
Look at Crowfall, the game got kickstarted during the peak of GOT. They are selling a game based on an IP that isn't even theirs. The crow? The "hunger"dome.
They have been at it for what 3 years now? the game is going nowhere.

Revival: even tho this wasn't a KS project, it was publicly funded.
The only game who's actually doing great is Camelot Unchanged.

The problem with KS is that there isn't a "reality" check before launching a project.
Do the people have any experience?
Is their model workable?
Are the funding goals actually able to deliver said goal....
Derek tweeted a kickstarter recently about an underwater breading device.. even tho experts says its physically impossible lol!

Risk of Rain
Hairbrained Schemes
Squad
Descent Underground (Which fills your criteria, but so far feels decent)
Jotun
Diesel Stormers
Armello
Darkest Dungeon
The Long Dark
Satellite Reign
Undertale
Divinity Original Sin
Shovel Knight
There Came an Echo (Which has a great Easter Egg from Will Wheaton)
Factorio
Freedom Planet (Writing aside)
Elite Dangerous
Forced
Chivalry Medieval Combat
Mercenary Kings
Volgarr the Viking
Xenonauts
Grim Dawn
The Banner Saga
FTL
Wasteland 2

I haven't played, or known someone that's played the other games on that list to vouch for any others, but there's not exactly a bad precedence for Kickstarted games turning out alright. The trick is to realize it's a gamble and recognize when a project is going to reach too far. I heard Crobbert's speech from another Goon and just started laughing, just due to the scope at the time. Well, that and Roberts being a fuckwit who made the Wing Commander Movie.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Madcosby posted:

kickstarter isnt what made those games good. that list is pointless. if the people that made ftl didnt get funded but didnt release a game, they'd be idiots.

if you have a good video game, you can sell it without begging for money on the internet

It isn't what made the games good and I never said that kind of poo poo. I said the trick is recognizing which groups weren't overreaching and realizing even then it was a gamble. Additionally, no, not always. Shadowrun Returns being a good example of this thanks to the 2007 FPS game being a fuckup. Kickstarter and Greenlight have allowed a lot of garbage out, but there's decent poo poo to good poo poo mixed in as well.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Madcosby posted:

how can you say the claim is undeniably wrong in the Star Citizen thread? have you any idea how we got here?

Hyperbole's a hell of a thing isn't it?

You asked how much he pissed away on SC. I haven't pissed away any because the pitch alone I knew was out of reach in the time frame, cost and team given. The real question is, refund or not, how much did you piss away on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

D1E posted:

I really want Ben to flip out during a livestream and yell "you destroyed my childhood memories of Wing Commander!" and kick Chris Roberts in the junk, hard. Fall out of his chair in Chris's general direction, hopefully either landing on him or rolling over him. :killdozer:

ftfy

• Locked thread