Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Devian666 posted:

Some guy playing around implemented inertia to the flight model. Seriously they have done no loving work on this game at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy0bmJVnxhs

So some dude randomly adds some code to make the game 100% more playable (but still poo poo). Good to know the game is in competent hands...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Bootcha posted:

I see Derek is testing Star Citizen PvP system.

Backers complained that they didn't want to lose their ships to ramming, scamming, and/or asshattering.

So the development team listened.

Currently, PvP is conducted via litigation, court orders, and lawsuits.

Please report any bugs and feedback you may have on the PvP system.

Lawsuits are the Star Citizen meta.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

AP posted:

It's pretty funny right now.

Question on the bottom turret on the new constellation.

Answer, no poo poo the actual answer was, we didn't do it the best way because it would have taken too long to fix and we still haven't finished the rest of the constellation after 8 months.

All the issues they've had would be immediately apparent if they'd made the gameplay first so they could actually introduce these ships. They're doing everything rear end-backwards.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Amarcarts posted:

Does it seem weird to anyone else that they are making all the ships first and then the gameplay environment? Like why not make one fighter, one medium multicrew, and one large multicrew and let that be it for a while while you get everything else working. Then when you are happy with the technical aspects you go into hiring overdrive on the artists and pump out assets.

That would make sense. Have you read any of this?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

AP posted:

WEEKLY DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Delays are good, publishers are evil, great stuff coming in 2 weeks hope the dog doesn't eat our homework again.

Yes, some guy falling off his bike is the only reason for the delay. I've had a broken arm and foot at the same time and I could still work on a computer, did he break his neck?!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Wise Learned Man posted:

I like this. Star Citizen could really use more Lovecraftian horror.

I love how the only real entertainment/fun from this lovely test platform are the bugs. The gameplay (what little there is) is just poo poo.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

tooterfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3cipLjPoQ&t=600s

27 players from all around the world, playing flawlessly in the same instance. Don't blame Frontier for your lovely internet man!

Community-made game that's miles better than the lovely race mode in SC.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

So, about 4 years and they've built ONE station? Weren't there supposed to be dozens of different kinds?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Stalins Moustache posted:

Okay, kind of a serious question here. As someone who have absolutely no experience in game production or management in the gaming industry, and is basically someone from the outside looking in at this cult, I wonder why the developers spend time animating and making something like that? Isn't it better for such "fancy" animations to be made after the foundations have been made? It's like when you're trying to draw something and you start off by drawing all the incredibly small details instead of having an outline of what you're going to draw :psyduck:

You're new to this thread, aren't you?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
gently caress the ships. We're talking about character fidelity -_- CR wants 3D so realistic it's just like a movie!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Their 'high end 3D scans' are just structure from motion that you could take with a phone camera...

Muscle simulation? Holy christ have they lost the plot.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
It seems to me that CR doesn't understand what made his own games successful. He thinks it was the amazing cutscenes or something, clearly.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Vire posted:

To bad he can't fire sandi for not doing her job as director of marketing.

Holy poo poo her neck tat looks terrible. Looks like a rash.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
ROFL watch that bouncer bugging out. They can't make a guy who sits still and does nothing work.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Is it me or does the Idris look more and more like a Homeworld ship? The fat gun in the front is very much from that philosophy...

Somehow, the funding for the last three hours is on an exponential trend again. Mother of god, has no one been watching the stream? I had so little hope in humanity, but this just takes the cake. And I'm French and just dealt with the attacks in Paris.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

lol there is no way one of these barges can stand against several ships working together, not even if you put a few turrets to it.

That's what's been clear to everyone who has a brain from the beginning. You've got big guns, but you can't really attack more than one target at a time.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Sillybones posted:

What the hell am I reading?

Edit: And then I read the thread. God drat.

Some people need to stfu, stop reading internet bs and actually attend a physics class. Holy poo poo.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

How are the facial animations in witcher 3 more realistic, when that's not in-game footage.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I'm trying to download this poo poo test-bed to ruin someone's day, and holy poo poo is their download client horrible. You can't stop a download and reboot, it'll just start from scratch. I left it on overnight to download, it stopped halfway for no apparent reason.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

G0RF posted:

She's kept a surprisingly low profile the last month-- avoiding Reverse the Verse for weeks, letting Ben handle AtV solo. I've missed her.

At least we got that fantastic episode of "Ask Sandi" last month. That was a goldmine- and her appearance on "Fortnightly Frontier" was pretty awesome, too.

So winsome, humble and honest to a fault. How can anyone not love her? She made all this possible-- she gave hundreds of thousands of losers a reason to live again, to believe in the power of dreams again. Human connections have been forged by the thousands -- thanks to her efforts, her talents, her passion. Why wouldn't we be faithful until death to a woman like that?

She did it-- all of it-- and it was really only possible because she's not just any woman-- she's ten in one. And it's not arrogant in the slightest for her to remind us of that constantly. Or Chris, for that matter. It's the truth.

She is the Star in Star Citizen -- and lest you doubt it...

Why the gently caress do they have 100 DSLRs to create a SFM mesh, when you can get the exact same result from a few GoPros?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

All these wankers should be forced to play an hour of DCS and try and start and take-off a plane (say the A-10) from cold & dark (takes ~15 mins). We'll see how they really like not skipping through steps...

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Making CryEngine more advanced for the rigors of space!!! I really don't get that, it's loving space. It's one step up from the background that 3D modelers get in their program by default. Space rendering technology essentially peaked at the star field windows screensaver.

There's a reason space was one of the first 3D rendered spaces, it's loving empty. You only have to render ships. How is that hard.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

I'm french. If someone can find the actual content, I'll happily translate it all.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Eonwe posted:

i dont know much about poo poo but isnt the point of the spinning stuff to create artificial gravity

but don't all the other ships in this god drat universe have artificial gravity without this? so why does this one spin

whats the point of the spinning

Except there's an uneven number of spinning things. Assuming equal mass, that means torque will always want the ship to spin in one direction. It's poo poo ship design by people with clearly no understanding of physics.

Basically they're designing a helicopter with no tail rotor...

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

G0RF posted:

As CIG employees play D&D, it looks like there's another girl to add to Sandi's magic mirror...

Why do they have 3 huge flatscreens??

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI2gonYSx8c

Just noticed how utterly poo poo the new freelancer is. How is it that after spending a fortune, the updated version somehow looks worse in every way?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Yes, $21.5M today. I used Euros since most dweebs don't even know that currency still exists.

Calling it. CR is going to state that the PU is 'done' and will get updated later, and all the money is going to SQ42.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Nicholas posted:

someone posted it earlier in the thread

The funny thing is, 15 hours is gently caress all. The witcher 3, ONE GAME, with a much smaller budget, gives you a minimum of 90 hours of gameplay. The DLC (for 10 bucks) adds another 10 hours, and there's a second bit of DLC that'll add another 20.

Once again, SC underachieves.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Jesus Christ, how much money DID they spend on actor wages?

There are like 4 A listers, or 5 depending on who you like

Half the bloody cast from Game of Thrones, and a bunch of others

A lot of them have just recently finished very successful TV series or movies, so they would have been demanding top dollar

CIG is hosed if they think throwing names at the screen is going to suddenly make the script not a steaming pile of poo poo

Come now, you know CR deserves the best for his movie, I mean video game.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Watching the shitshow that is the Morrow tour again, I wonder if that's actually part of the game. Like, did Chris make them do this mo-cap recording that goes on for 10 minutes, render it, animate it, create sounds, pathing, etc., just to fish for more dollars? Who wants to bet that the morrow tour never appears in SQ42 (not that SQ42 is going to be a thing either).

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

BeefThief posted:

For maximum efficiency, you can turn around and clip through the back wall of your spawn bedroom by running into the bed and jumping for a couple of seconds.

This will take you right to the landing pads without having to wait for the airlocks, but you can't spawn a ship so you'll need to borrow some other commander's.

I think a lot of us are going to spend ages trying to figure out ways to 'play' the 'game' without having to deal with the lovely cutscences...

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Ash1138 posted:

hey how about a little sympathy for all the caterpillar owners out there?

or is it empathy? empathy

CR forgot people ever gave him money for that ship. He was too busy doing coke.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHbogwIsFQ

LTI laundering which was something CIG encouraged and benefited from for a year, to the tune of millions is "buying pledges from a non-CIG source".

:gary: :gary:

Wait, they're AWARE that he was defrauded, and they're STILL trying to get the cash out of him? What a bunch of complete and utter wankers.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Natron posted:

This is especially stupid when you consider that the game takes place in the distant future. I feel like in the future you could just set the cockpit right at the center of the ship and have camera arrays all over it that a pilot could switch between while using some kind of helmet. Basically like an occulus rift (which we'll have at the end of May or something) with a 360 degree camera on the outside. The pilot and crew would be protected better, and they'd have perfect sight all around the ship. What's the point of having glass on the ship at all?

It's just a lack of imagination, really.

They could have done things a la Titanfall and actually have a universe with some character, but NOOO, lovely 'metal' windows in space.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318800/drake-interplanetary-buccaneer-reference-images#latest

CIG has decided to push forward with the Buccaneer, releasing another piece of concept art to give pirate players the dogfighter that the Cutlass was supposed to be. The thread itself is hilarious as backers vomit forth every possible piece of concept art they can imagine.

This is hilarious because half of this poo poo is still meaningless. We still have no IDEA of the concept of maintenance or reliability and how that relates to gameplay.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

After the Starfarer, the next ship on the docket is the Reliant, which, like the Xi'an, was marketed as having multiple flight-modes. Disco Lando swoops into let people know not to expect this to actually be a thing.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319951/question-for-mr-ben-lesnick-regarding-recent-info-from-10-for-the-designers/p16

Does it bother anyone else that you can't manually deploy landing gear? How annoying is it to be near a surface and hear 'gear down, gear up' as you move around?!

Another occasion where CIG could take a page from Elite's book.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

The comments already imply it's some sort of feature that has never existed before.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Do you guys remember that other Cryengine kickstarter that Chris actually came out in supported that started AFTER star citizen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDhmErgiuw

Yeah, it's in beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

intardnation posted:

That person posts here I think.

Have CIG actually stated that they're going for consoles?

• Locked thread