Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

He should have bought lottery tickets today instead.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

When I look at the gameplay, I see seamless transitions from one system to the next, and adaptive multiplayer on a large scale. That's impressive tech as someone who has worked with the CryEngine before. That's the thing people need to understand, they're doing crazy poo poo with a game engine that wasn't made to do any of this, no engine is made to do any of this, but they're doing a good job.

I rather like the flight model and the ARMA-esque FPS mechanics are extremely difficult to get right. Only time will tell how this ends but I can easily see them pulling something amazing out by mid 2017.

Weak troll.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Danknificent posted:

Derek got into a knife fight with Octobro on a small stone bridge, and won.

Loiosh stayed reasonable.

CIG released a new solitaire mini game and a line of in-game hats for around $5 apiece.

Lesnick announced that he's part timing as a life guard under the Santa Monica Pier.

It turns out that Sandi not only really does have a marketing degree, but is also fluent in Spanish.

Star Citizen has a release date (Nov 2016)

Gary Oldman gave an interview, expressing his dissatisfaction with Chris' directorial skills.

A few other things. Nothing too important.

That was Mark Hamil, not Gary Oldman.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

AP posted:

Links his twitter account, calls you "creepy cyberstalkers" for reading it.

Karl, you are literally reading this post.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

CoreFire posted:

It's just sad at this point.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

janssendalt posted:

hi Derek, I like you.

I like Chris too, though.

what do I do?

There are special tables you can strap into.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Ghostlight posted:

Karl is a German auditor Star Citizen fanatic who was posting in the thread in defense of Star Citizen.

Beyond that it is easier to tell you who Karl is not. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on the official Star Citizen forums that happens to share a name with the twitter account Karl posted here as his own - this is verifiable because that poster has spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen while Karl's ships were all gifted to him by his brother. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on reddit that posts extensively about how unfairly Karl was treated by SA, because that is a woman. He is also not her father who happens to be a German auditor, just in case you were thinking that might be the case. In fact, every redditor who is German and an auditor and interested in Star Citizen is definitely not Karl, nor the obvious sock puppet accounts that jump to the defense of any German auditor Star Citizenite posting in r/DerekSmart.

All we really know for sure about Karl is he can go gently caress himself.

I am pretty sure his father is the actual auditor and he only pretends to be an auditor.

Hey, Karl.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Berious posted:

You can sort of tell the ww2 bomber aesthetic they're trying to achieve but its just so ugly and soulless. Make a few of the struts curved and it wouldn't look hideous. I bet the artist wanted to but Chris hates curves or something

With pillars and poo poo in real life you can look past them since you aren't focusing on them. In a 2D presentation it is pretty lame rear end stuff.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

A Neurotic Jew posted:

woah, woah, calm down there sparky.
No jokes, he was masturbating when he wrote this.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sedisp posted:

Honestly who was sitting there and said "You know those two terrible horror actors? They shall be our leads!"

"You know who's cheap?"

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Avalanche posted:

Why the gently caress did these idiots open a development studio/warehouse/whatever in Santa Monica on the loving 3rd STREET PROMENADE?

It's a god drat posh shopping district with most upper level office space probably rented out to Macy's, Nordstroms, other random upscale long running clothing/jewelry companies, and architect firms. I can't think of a more retarded place to place a startup except maybe Manhattan or Dubai.

To attract TOP TALENT.

And then pay them well under standard industry rates. Which is fine, because true believers need not apply.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

What the hell am I reading?

Edit: And then I read the thread. God drat.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 11, 2015

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Ffycchi posted:

You are reading that if you jump in a free falling elevator right before it smashes into the ground youll just land like marry poppins.

:downsbravo:

On a serious note...what the gently caress.

Incorrect. By the bullet example it is impossible to jump in an elevator going down. However if you jump and the elevator is traveling up you will rocket through the roof. I vote for these physics to be implemented.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Hopper posted:

Okay, I didn't read the brown sea physics because I am a linguist and don't understand physics beyond the basics at all. So maybe you are taking the piss and I don't get it, but I have to ask:

When you say "the train pushes the passenger into the stationary bullet" to me this implies from the perspective of the shooter the bullet kills either the shooter or a guy behind him.

Direction the train is going T------>
Direction Shooter is facing S->
Bullet exits gun here: x
Passenger position in the train: P

So if the bullet does not move and the train shoves a passenger into it it looks like this
Train
At time of shooting:
T------------------------>
P
x
S->

train moves:

P
x
S->

impact:
P
x
S->

Correct? Or stupid?

This would be a good post to go into that thread with.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

AP posted:

CLOUD IMPERIUM AUSTIN NOVEMBER 5TH 2014

Left
James Wright, Andrew Nguyen, Brian Mazza, Tom Davies, Jeff Uriarte

Still at CIG
Allen Chen (based in LA)
Tom Sawyer

Good. Just makes room for better people. And I heard they left because nobody liked them and some of them were rapists (allegedly).

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I just realised he can and is using his leg as a table.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Eonwe posted:

I wonder if Sandi still reads this thread

On the off chance: You aren't breaking into the industry because your skin is pulled taught around your skeleton. You look like a skeleton. And your smile is disingenuous. And you look one straw from blowing up 100% of the time. No offense.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Mirificus posted:

Doesn't he have an irrational hatred of the Freespace series?

Wesha has sycophants :barf:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/Wesha

Jesus Christ. A mind poisoned by lust for money. Nothing matters but dosh. No person is measured except by how much they own.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
so its time to forget the loser-mmo vocabulary. old style mmos are dead.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I feel empowered. An overwhelming sense of purpose and togetherness. For the longest time I was searching for something to be a part of. You guys did it! _We_ did it!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What the hell is this game even meant to be except piracy and conflict? Aren't these ships meant to EXPLODE at some point? I swear I saw guns on the ships in the concept art.

fuctifino posted:

Someone should suggest NPC hall monitors to stop people running in the coridoors of the stations

There was already a thread actually for this. It was a 'reputation-system' to punish people running inappropriately.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
He looks one coke away to being bed-ridden.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

peter gabriel posted:

Piracy is piracy, checkmate :smug:

What kind of psychopath even wants to play a pirate? Probably GOONS.

Note of the day: Star Citizens don't even find it weird that a video game can costs hundreds to thousands to play. They seem utterly blind to the fact this isn't normal. Even for video games you Really Really Really like.

Grondoth posted:

However, people who have paid hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars are upset and confused as to why a game basically god drat designed to have people smashing into each other and stealing everyone else's stuff has those elements. I don't know how, other than being hooked into a marketing machine that has told them about living out their immersive space life in a an immersive space universe, that these dudes foresaw Star Citizen's player interactions as anything other than Day-Z with spaceships.

What are the other player spaceships even for? Is this really just meant to be a co-op PvE shooter to them? That doesn't scream innovation to me.

It is probably fear. Fear that they can see their 'investment' blow up in a second. The fact that that is actually inevitable given enough time. Suicides will occur over this shitfest.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 14, 2015

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Having flown the ship in 2.0 all I can say is that the Cutlass is an unmitigated disaster and the "fixes" have done nothing but made it worse. The ship flies like a fat pig, the multi-function displays are unreadable without changing your point of view to look directly at them, and any feedback CIG is hoping to get is guaranteed to be just as angry and vitriolic as always. It suffers from a very simple problem; nobody within CIG actually know what the gently caress this ship is supposed to do. Piracy is not well defined, cargo is not well defined, and the ship is passed around from designer to designer like a foster child. Meanwhile the other ships in its "class" (the Hornet and Freelancer) are either flyable and mature or well on their way to a redesign.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Maybe ships should have been grey boxes until they defined what gameplay was.

They are simulating physics movement from the actual thrusters as already positioned on their concept ships right? Is that ever going to work out?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

jaegerx posted:

Since we can't pvp do we just tip fedoras as we pass other ships in space?

You may tip your fedora if you are above the reputation threshold and on my whitelist.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Played 2.0 for a couple hours without it crashing. Flew to the FPS station, got my ship blown up (LOL the Cutlass is such a POS), and then walked around the FPS station waiting for someone to show up. When he did I tried to find them then went "gently caress it" and stole his ship instead. Flew over to the destroyed shipping hub and farted around; EVA is cool but I have no clue what I am supposed to do there. Flew back to the FPS station, blew up every ship docked there, and then got into a firefight with some floating guys... while I had a Gladius. I actually killed one guy which is cool. Then I flew over to the main station in the hopes of hijacking a big ship but nothing spawned and my ship wouldn't let me get out. Got my ship blown up, spawned another, then flew back to the FPS station and got into a big dogfight. I died.

It's surprisingly stable and I could see how it can be fun. I am getting more excited for SQ42 because that should be able to skip all of the networking problems. That said the game will inevitability piss off a LOT of people when they realize they've spent thousands on something worth $60.

Hope for the game yet. It is nice to hear nice things.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

For someone who is just pining for this excellent space game that may never exist, he sure is out of the loop when it comes to space games.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Cuntpunch posted:

The part the whales will never admit is that when a game has really 'pushed the envelope' you don't see it. Having enormous poly counts and ridiculously complex rendering isn't difficult, it's arguably the starting point - the real trick that takes a lot of work is all the LOD work and poly optimization needed to take a ridiculously high-detail scene and make it work at reasonable framerates.

There is nothing technologically interesting coming from the project so far from what I have seen. They are planning on a whole bunch of interesting things, but where the hell is it? I thought the positional thruster model was cool, but then I find that isn't in currently. Where is the 'never done before' parts? It always seems to be something that has been done before but with something slightly different. Or a combination of things that have been done before but never... combined at once! The biggest claim to fame seems to be that they animate you sitting into chairs. I am not even joking.

Even getting 64-bit positions going is not difficult, though I can understand why they would have a poo poo of a time converting an existing engine to it. I implemented it. Others have implemented it. I am sure they have talented coders there, but none of their work seems to bubble to the surface.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Iglocska posted:

Frankly, it doesn't influence my views much either way. Chris and Sandi don't have programmers chained to radiators toiling away while they lash them, and honestly, I just don't care that much about the people involved and what they choose to subject themselves to; they're adults producing a product I happen to be interested in, I feel no more outrage about it or emotional connection to them than I did about, say, Foxconn's working conditions, which is to say not much. For the financial fraud: so long as they manage their financials well enough to get past the finish line, I don't think the status of the rest of their money or how they spent it matters all that much. I don't base my interest in other products on what the profit margins and spending decisions made by their producers are, and I don't see a compelling case for why that should be the case here, either. If they don't make it out the door, then there should definitely be an inquiry into why it happened, and financial mismanagement should have appropriate consequences.

Isn't Ben basically a puppy/mascot under their care? He is the 'chained to the radiators'.

vvv fedora symbol marks intended consumer vvv

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 14, 2015

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
If Ben dies who will be able to cover the gap of his valuable contributions to the project? Those are big shoes to fill.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

They really need to stop comparing and 'winning' against games that already exist. They seem to always use the present tense when talking about the non-existent-but-maybe-later poo poo in Star Citizen.

serious norman posted:

Wait, so the position of stuff in game is determined by file location on the HDD?

It is a top down approach to software engineering. Christ, that isn't even a joke.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 15, 2015

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Romes128 posted:

The resume is from her website which has been taken down but;

https://web.archive.org/web/2007110...dgcfjjinfhimecg

she seems to have left out a lot of her credentials on her current resume

http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/sandigardiner

Holy poo poo, that is quite the read. Is this typical to lie that much in acting?

She kept the Shine one, though. Was she really in that?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Rudager posted:

You're talking about an Australian actor who lists her ability as being able to talk in an Australian English dialect on her resume.

The accent gets especially good when she is emotional or screaming at pathetic underlings to stop leaking to the media, you loving cunts.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Berious posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x270f/cant_play_hangar_or_20_yet_i_paid_180/

This guy spent $180 on jpegs but still can't play. You'd think spending that much would entitle him to tool around in a basic jpeg while they work on his handcrafted artisanal jpeg. But oh you thought you got to play crashing in space for nearly $200? gently caress no that'll be another $45, sucker

Dredging this up. Holy gently caress.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
That ground to space video. Who, when seeing the dudes eye, expected it to zoom straight up from there? Instead, it coasts around the planet until the landing pad is hidden. Probably it immediately gets enveloped by shifting PROCEDURAL terrain. That and they have no LOD system still?

Early days still. How long does the best drat space game ever take to make? Keep faith.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Acquilae posted:

Not to mention, Chris, the CEO/founder, basically looking like he has no clue about how his loving game works and sounding like he hasn't paid any attention to the day-to-day progress (like making GBS threads on the chat UI after this much time has passed in development) made this mess so entertaining but also made me feel sorta :smith: for the people working on this project.

Couldn't that be an indicator that he realised how much he was making GBS threads on the project attempting to micromanage it that he specifically doesn't even play it anymore otherwise he will start wanting to change things? It looks like he hasn't played it in a long while and look what happened; He started wanting things changed.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I don't know how to read. Is he saying that each of the bullshit releases from CIG so far were a full game?

spathi-wa posted:

should i wait for payment for the other vids or just make them public?

If you are joining in literally just for the payment you should rethink why you are doing this. It's only for encouragement, not meant to be a job.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 18, 2015

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
On the whole, how many birds are there in space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Lastgirl posted:

By the way did Derek Smart ever follow through on the lawsuit thing?

He implies that it is. He won't answer directly.

• Locked thread