Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Mentioning DSmart is like mentioning the devil on the internet right now.
He tweeted that he liked Infinity Battlescape and immediately on I:B forums there were people freaking out about SC fans going mental about this.

EDIT: Also Mr. DEREK for all your words you still haven't backed it, are you not a man of your SMART word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

:smug:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Meanwhile in "even before KS is complete this game is already real" land
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhK3m_DA4rA

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Some people just no poo poo pulled pledges from Infinity:Battlescape kickstarter because they saw that Smart has backed it/doesn't hate it.

Star Citizens are the worst...

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Actually they didn't or they won't still be posting since you can only post in a project you backed. They're drama queens.

Thanks for supporting the Thunderclap btw.
Stay Smart.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Illectro just got some upset upsetties unfollow him on twitter because they can't handle the Smart.
These people are such giant babies, how can they handle life?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I saw that. But it had nothing to do with me, but more to do with what he tweeted! He doesn't even follow me on Twitter!

No, you see he said Smart and that is like a god damned cross to a vampire, they have to flee else it'll burn SMART into their face with holy fire.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Man Derek is like the red menace for these people.
Currently on Battlescape kickstarter:

All because Derek kind of looked at a project and said OK.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
http://www.twitch.tv/kingkongor/ has been crashing every ~10 minutes while doing hardly anything.
Movement is janky as gently caress, this looks real bad.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Apparently planet tech is being made in a secret bunker in Germany and this buggy mess of a tech demo will have smooth seamless planets that can beat Infinity Battlescape or Elite real soon!

I was laughed at on the stream when i suggested that this is a bit unrealistic as these people can't make a loving FPS in crytek.

The loving thing has a loading screen when you go to the space section out of the interior of the place you are in, how in the gently caress is it going to handle full sized worlds...

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Shipping next year with planets and unicorns and space hookers!

Oh I await the day features start getting cut and they loose their collective poo poo.

If this piece of crap is to release 2016 it is going to be cut to all poo poo, and if they don't cut features then lol 2020 at the earliest.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Chalks posted:

Can someone explain what this new thing is?

I'm looking at these streams and it just looks like "Hanger 2.0: bigger and outside".

Besides being able to run around a map (again) and climb inside ships (again) what's new?

You can now vibrate trough walls because your vibrational level is so high you have ascended from mere citizen.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Chalks posted:

It's a small scale "Persistent Universe" isn't it? Or have I misunderstood? I'm having trouble identifying what's persistent about it. Also a single location is perhaps not a usual definition of universe.

It's a buggy piece of poo poo that shouldn't have seen the light of day and was only given to streamers trough incompetence and innablity to understand how badly this looks to anyone who has played a real videogame and hasn't sunk in thousands of dollars into SC yet.

Quality wise it's worse than an internal build of a video game mod. Feature wise? LOL, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Keep on believin' man, this game can't fail if you believe HARD enough!

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Them being to pull off 1 mil km x 1 mil km game space isn't really that impressive and I believe they might have done that, it at least seems so that way.

Afterall this:

Is a picture taken at a distance of 500 million km from the systems star in another game (Battlescape) So 1 ml km is prettymuch childs play anyways.

Then again the way SC is configured(lol speed limits in space) makes it so people have to stick to whatever object they spawn next to and that discourages you from going anywhere without using FTL, which can help mask a lot of weird shenanigans at the edge of a sector.
What I'd really want to see is people FTL'ing or just crossing sector boundaries in formation. Also that guy jumping out of the ship into "nowhere" might be just clever tricks, you really need to somehow pinpoint his location ingame and check if it's not some bullshit "you are stranded" instance.

Also the fact that game immediately unloads the station when you FTL is not a good sign for "this space is seamless" theory.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

Was actually gonna post this to talk about it, Derek, your big post made a lot of sense and is how I would do it if I were making a space game, but under such a system, how would jumping out the hatch like this be able to be so seamless if it was traveling between zones? In my layman mind I would imagine there would be a little lag at least as the server has to spin up a new zone for the guy that jumped out. It seems it's just as explainable both ways, that they really did figure out the engineering side of things or they are cleverly faking it all.

The moment the ship warps all content from the scene is unloaded, it suggest that warp puts you into a zone that is empty of content and just has the same skybox, so of course if you jump out it looks like you are in the middle of nowhere.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, but I don't think the planets and stuff are a part of the skybox because they're actual objects and someone here posted you can fly around them if you are patient enough. If it is just another zone, it would have to take those object and move them in space relative to the direction you are flying.

From a few videos they looked like just jpegs when they aren't in the same instance as you.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Wrecked Angle posted:

A friend of mine has been banging on about joining Star Citizen so I'm on the website looking at the different ships. I like the look of the Redeemer Gunship but can't find anywhere that tells me how much that $318.oo costs in real world money.

Do you buy Star Citizen dollars in packs? If so, can someone tell me how much say, 1000 Star Citizen dollars costs (or however many you can buy at a time). Thanks.

e. In GBP if possible

10 space bux = 1 buttcoin.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=fs2u5UP7u3M&video_start=28&audio=616WIdWwuLM&audio_start=7

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Launcher has an icon made by someones kid in paint.

Launcher will also max out your CPU by triggering antivirus scans ad infinitum because reasons.

Good thing i'm fetching this poo poo at 17 megabytes per sec so i'll at least get it fast.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Uninstalled this piece of garbage, game would gently caress up and i couldn't exit seats, also troughout entire time "playing" i could never actually open doors, i'd have to sprint at them and vibrate trough or wait for other people to open them.
Ships fly horrendously badly. Door textures disappear and i can see straight trough doors(the normal maps are still there tho so it looks distorted.)

This thing is beyond broken, if I worked there I'd pack my bags now.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So physicalised EVA is just a lovely Skyrim first person camera mod that hacks in a 3rd person ragdoll body into first person and thus breaks everything?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Sperglord posted:

Infinity just released a developer build to game backers, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnDd8DRcyw

BlueDrake (who streams a lot of SC and still shills for Shitizen) was streaming this and it was hilarious how much he kept stressing that "this thing doesn't crash, it's soooo stable!", you can tell how broken a man becomes after spending so many days playing Roberts crash and bug simulator 2016

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
It looks like I had a WHALE of a time.

It's fully UV unwrapped and probably game ready, includes a lovely plain color texture, grab it an use it however you want.

For those that can't see the 3d preview thing:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
You can just draw them on the texture anyways.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

What filetype is it? Will I be able to use it in 3dsmax?

That's a .blend but I could try to poo poo out aN .OBJ so you could import it and preserve UV's.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Here's an FBX for max/maya users https://sketchfab.com/models/52474742f6c446b3b8ab30dcfb2611f7

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Since someone posted cool mods here I just went and checked and X3: Babylon 5 is still doing mod progress updates(for some reason only trough facebook, last post was a week ago), and they are good quality content updates so they are definitely doing progress.
That mod is gigantic in scope but has a really good hope of actually finishing.

Here's a couple of their really outdated trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xQyRSzkrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FJ0TTTU00E

They are doing all of the original ships in the show and then gently caress know how many extended universe stuff to fully flesh out each and every race.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
B5 X3 should really post a god damned update on their site though, the last one is over a year old and on their FB the latest content update is like a week old, it really really gives the wrong message to people who never bother to find their FB.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Hey toops I've got a couple of my old 3d models that I could fix up and donate to SP,

This fighter right here:

And this massive BC (normals are busted on this model and need to be fixed, that's why you see weird rear end shading in places.):

https://sketchfab.com/models/3b0ecf6c9ab649c187ff7c1f00b19a05

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

Chrome it out and it'd make a good Sperg fighter.

The big ship is probably gonna fit in as "Smart" Class battlecruiser 3000 with a fancy name like "Let Me loving Finish"

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
They might deliver the planets, because those are really small planets, the one in their pics is seen from 600km away(if it's a distance from core it's even closer) and let me tell ya it's one loving small planet.

EDIT: Fire up google earth, choose the moon and get your eye altitude to 600km, you can't fit the moon on the screen, SC planets are loving TINY.

TheCoach fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
But doesn't SC run without too much issue when you take out networking issues out of it?
The demo was probably real but it was a LAN setup with the grand total of 2 people doing really safe actions.
Remember that they want to rewrite the netcode again to make all of this work(because netcode rewrites work out so good for CiG)

• Locked thread