Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
So like is this even a game or do we just get angry at people who spend money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Well then i'll spend my christmas dosh on some other mmo-esque thing since i wouldn't want the goony goons to get mad at me.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I guess you can probably try to grief people between crashes to desktop, that might be worth 30 dollars

where there's a will to grief there's a way to grief

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

lol

Spend money on whatever, who cares? If you think Star Citizen is really something worth buying instead of any other game currently out there, more power to you.

But when it crashes and burns (almost literally) you can at least find solace in the fact that we kept pointing out how suspect Chris and co are.

nah its cool i needed the angry opinions of internet people to convince myself to drop money on Wuxia rear end n Titties simulator instead.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the only reason anyone could want to buy the News Van ship is because they've already laid down $30,000 or whatever and have to complete the set.

But I want to know about that one guy, who I'm only assuming exists, who has paid for only the News Van ship and that's his only ride, and that's all he wants to ride. I know you're out there you weirdo. Please get an account and explain yourself.

Look man I just want to be geraldo rivera in space.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The MISC Observer: A fully-cloaked one man ship that can spy on anything at any time anywhere. Never again will you have to worry about being shot or griefed. In true MISC comfort and style, you'll be available to look at the wild universe of Star Citizen and be fully cloaked while doing it. MISC's cloaking generator is so advanced that being discovered is impossible.

For the measly sum of $800 (new monies only), you'll be able to:
1. Fly in peace
2. Observe things, in peace
3. Record current events in similar fashion to the News Van, but in peace!
4. Ignore every other player so that you can play in peace

And stay tuned for the MISC Titanis Observer variant which will be outfitted with the most powerful shields and sturdiest hull, allowing you to go anywhere and never worry about dying.

You drastically underpriced it. Add a zero on.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

TBH, considering there was that nazi-sympathizer moderator that quit/was let go from CIG...that's scarily not that remote a possibility perhaps.

Hey now just because he likes germans doesn't mean you can oppress him and infer he'll murder you for speaking against The Roberts

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

They can't claim a pre-alpha is the finished product.

don't you get it maaaan they built a thing. like i can get in and (sometimes) look at my ship! haha the jpeg meemee falls! not jpegs anymore i can SEE IT! i can even (rarely) get in and fly it around a buggy stuttery mess! Look, Roberts did it isnt he wonderful and just like us gamers?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

"the consumer is not entitle to a refund if the product does not meet expectations"

brb telling my boss i can deny refunds.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
I'm actually really sad now after looking back over all Derek's blogs and posts and such. Star Citizen is just a cult of jpegs now, E:D seems neat but ultimately sorta empty and single-playery, and Eve is just spreadsheets and glory-days-gone-by. I just want a space game to play with other people :smith:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I am demonstrably a Derek Smart alt.

Remember there is only one person in all the world who is against Star Citizen, and that man is Derek Smart. All negative commentary, all negative videos, all negative articles, everything that is not pure worship to The Roberts is all the work of Satan Smart.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
What happens when you don't touch the poop but you end up being poop yourself anyways because you're spending all your time watching poop.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

PROCEDURAL

CONTENT

GENERATION

truly Crobber is the genius we all knew he is don't you see after all in a month we'll have 24 player instances instead of 16! and then 3 months from then it'll be 40 man instances! We're on our ways b o i s

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
"Fixed an issue where ships could self-destruct in the Armistice zone."

Soon we'll fix the issue that lets people who have spent less money then you being able to damage your ship at all

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

aleksendr posted:

No, its a correct estimate. If you dont go full sperg on the Base building, use fast travel and dont bother exploring every companion full dialogue tree (only doing the 2-3 you like best) the game is roughly 30-35 hours of content.

It has a lot less (nearly half) quests than vanilla Skyrim had on release and the "voice cross" make conversation flow much faster once you realize you only have 2 dialog options in reality - "Yes" or "No". The 2 other choices being "yes" with details and "yes" with extra snark.

You could make it last you 80-100 hours if you explore everything in detail and collect each little piece of scrap by hand and impose some self challenges like "Only Fists" or "No explosives" but thats voluntary padding your playtime.

Beep Boop optimized gameplay experience must streamline all playthroughs for minimal time consumption

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sounds like good advice.

BEN, TAKE NOTES

Fair warning: if you try that at the start of a diet, all you'll do is put yourself to sleep from exhaustion because your body is already busy trying to digest this giant sack of fat and carbs why are you walking as well brain stop.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Something happened to me today that really caused an epiphany as to why I can't stand SC or its fans, personally. my job is, at the moment, making a lot less sales then it currently should be. as a result, i'm getting less hours then normal, so making ends meet is a bit hard right now. My friend comes to me today to tell me about the Freelancer or whatever the latest jpeg fotm is, and basically says something along the lines of "well, me and [group of friends] have all grabbed a ship, or two, or 14, why don't you?" So i patiently explain that right now I'm a bit focused on paying bills, and making sure my GF and close family have some minor presents from me first, before I look to buying anything for myself, much less something that isnt an actual game but what amounts to an IOU of a game. My friend essentially accuses me of being a complete mouthbreathing retard who can't see that Star Citizen is "a better investment then actual stocks or bonds" and insists that I should refund the presents I bought my GF and family and invest in "at the very least, a Mustang".

TL;DR I have terrible friends and SC is basically an actual cult, the evidence of which did not truly hit me until I interacted with a Cultizen in real life.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

In a surprise twist turns out LadyBlackhawk was BettyBigTits all along.

I'd also love to know, I've been reading her last posts and it's nothing but the usual slobbering. Maybe something on PM or an external forum, whatever it is must have been serious for them to hand out a 10 year probation. I bet poor Boxer remained faithful even as they took her into the knacker's.

"Napoleon Roberts is always right". "I will work shill harder"

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Best screenshot I could get...

£3.7 million

This has been going on for a few years now, death threats etc.
I'm more worried than anything tbh now

Tell that man he's a loving hero and internet people are proud of him.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Hello tell us about your favorite kind of pizza.

Deep dish or Pan. Light cheese, Light sauce, Lots of pepperoni. the ideal is to basically have some sauce-sprinkled cheesy bread with pepperoni on top.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
something something abyss something staring something

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
What the actual gently caress is happening in here these last few pages

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

Seraph reclaiming his alphagoon status and trying to fit in before he gets banned and has to resort to begging in PMs again.

who the hell is seraph I don't keep up on the latest fresh SA memes

Laserpig posted:

Which I will, there will only be 3 hits in the fight, I hit Derek. Derek hits the floor, the ambulance hits 100mph

Please tell me you are very mondo serious about having a match. we can say there's been two 'celebrity' SA boxing matches!

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Laserpig posted:

Ah! You must be American, (stereotypically) Americans seem to have an obsession with size and weight, wrongly under the impression that it plays much more of a role in a physical confrontation than it actually does, you can be 7ft tall and 300lbs of stone cold muscle... and there are guys less than of half your size who will rock your brain so hard with a swift temple shot that those tree trunk legs turn into peperami sticks.

SeaRoughAteTeaFore posted:

I was born American. That was before I knew what I truly was, my destiny.

you guys should touch genitals it seems you're made for each other

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
chargebacks do not hurt you, per say. they do require a little-to-a-lot of wrangling with the cc company, but usually as long as you can show you attempted to get a refund a cc will go ahead with the chargeback. where it gets tricky as i understand is 'does the cc then tell cig you're asking for a chargeback' or do they simply issue the chargeback. if the former, cig can pull legal shenanigans, i think? im not too sure. I know i made sure to politely and calmly ask for a refund before trying a chargeback, so that i can at least tell the cc company 'yes i tried'.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

fuctifino posted:

This is brilliant. I think next thing to do is to phone CIG directly, using a skype recorder, and troll the fuckers into refunding you.

e: If it's illegal to record a call in your state, I can host the skype call and record it from the UK ;)

e2: This offer is open to anyone seeking a refund.

e3: If you feel uncomfortable talking to them, I will quite happily speak on your behalf.

I may take you up on this if my initial refund request is denied. I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to being very blunt and 'rude' to anyone, especially someone who i want money (back) from

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

fuctifino posted:

^^^ Sure :) I'm more than willing. Though I'm not blunt and rude... I'm painfully polite, calm yet forceful when on the phone, and people find it very hard to hang up on me.

I'd love to help. I've asked a couple of ex CIG employees for telephone numbers, as they seem to be lacking on the RSI website.... but I'm 100% willing and eager to do this. I think it will be a lot of fun, and it may also force them to refund those who need them.

I used to do a lot of stuff helping ex Scientologists, directly phoning the orgs and internal offices... as well as trolling the gently caress out of them. I used to be good at it, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it :)

well you'll hear from me if i need you. I do hope they just give it to me though, i'd rather at least be able to say it was painless. i Know in my heart it won't though :smith:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
I think the biggest indicator of how pie in the sky hosed SC is is that every player suggestion (and thus croberts demand) start with the words "wouldn't it be neat if..." and the problem is that the players (and croberts et al) don't finish the sentence then laugh and say 'well at least we have [gameplay example] right?' they just say/demand 'yes put [idea] in too gently caress IT'

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Tippis posted:

That's one of the most baffling thing about the citizens (and about CRobber as well): they just seem to be so utterly and completely oblivious to the current state of gaming, as if they haven't actually played anything that came out this century.

It's as if races haven't existed in every multiplayer game ever, with or without vehicles. Hell, Planetside had organised ANT races back in 2003–2004, and frigate races pop up with some frequency to this day in EVE.

Similarly, repairing other people's vehicles is combat tactics 101 in these games, to the point where it so popular and so powerful that it has to be harshly restricted in any form of organised competition (e.g. EVE Alliance Tournament) or else be subject to a near-constant whine-nerf cycle.

Any time they speak of manufacturing, I have to question where on earth they got such solar-size blinders that they missed the key design conceit of EVE: that everything is player-manufactured. The game features drugs, so therefore there is drug manufacturing; the game features alien tech (six kinds of them), so therefore there is research and manufacturing from alien artefacts; outposts and POSes — “player owned station” is the official loving name — exist so therefore there is manufacturing of every step of the way from raw material to building component to construction platform to the actual station itself.

This guy simply cannot possibly have played these games if he is that thoroughly ignorant about core game features in them. But yes, beyond that, where on earth is any of that in SC? Well, aside from racing, since that is quite literally the first type of gameplay that is always possible once you've managed to put player-controllable characters in an environment.

that's the point, CIG takes its money from old dads who haven't played a vidya since wing commander and thus think that this amazing game from their old favorite game's designer is going to be INNOVATIVE and HOLY poo poo LOOKIT THESE GRAPHIX

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Berious posted:

More importantly if you chop up your space slaves and mix them in with the steaks do the space police only fine you for improperly labelled meat

haha shades of old elite.

did you fill up your hold with imperial slaves and NOT have a life support back there? enjoy your 'meat' or 'fertilizer'!

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
so, remember when they said that SQ42 completion would award you with special poo poo in the PU and all? Watch as that disappears because dads et all can't be bothered to play through the 'experience'

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Late 20s. I figured there was some element I was missing. Dad and grandpa had joysticks with some flight sims, apache, helicopter stuff, descent, mech warrior, so I enjoyed things that built upon whatever that game helped established.

put it this way, it's the age old dream

"I want to be a fighter pilot"

protip as the grandson of an actual fighter pilot, later test pilot for the USAF at nellis. Fighter pilots are all loving arrogant assholes who banged every girl that'd give them the time of day and drank like a dying man in utah

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

alphabettitouretti posted:

This is me when I try to play Star Citizen.

Voting for this to be the default avatar of any true believers that show up.

I can't stand the place for more than 5 seconds but if some brave person could go on safari to the SC forum and find someone who has both complained about Elite being a boring grind and advocated grinding in Shart Shitizen that'd be lovely.

I grabbed horizons and made the mistake of talking to my starvangelist friend about it, and his argument that elite was a bad business model for charging 60 a year for expansions and content was somehow better then star citizen's jpeg sales got brought up again. he talked a mean game about 'useless grind' as well.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

silvergoose posted:

That is making me too excited about eve valkyrie holy gently caress when do I get an oculus rift.

i too want an oculus or some sort of VR rig alas my 970 is not capable of immersive space mans. I am hype for elite's multicrew, and no mans sky shallow as both will probably be.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

G0RF posted:

The GTX 970 is considered Oculus-ready, according to them--

Where do you fall short?

huh, maybe i don't. I jsut assumed in my head VR was the super elite mega gaming rig territory, Titan territory, etc.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Xaerael posted:

This is literally where I think Eve has the larger than one man fighter ship concept perfect. You're not some dude rattling around in a ship, you're plugged into a goo filled pod that serves as the escape vessel, and you control your ship with your brain.

Which sounds silly, right? I mean, mind control, haha, that's not realistic, so far fetched. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTtUlewbOxA

Oh.

don't forget you're functionally immortal and everyone who is not also someone like you thinks you're completely loving insane and hates you

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Bushiz posted:

was this ever confirmed in lore because it was the best thing anyone's ever written for video game handwaving

so you know the EVE currency, the ISK? the thing ships cost million to billions of, the thing people have trillions of stored away? yeah, 1 ISK planetside in lore is something like...a year's wage? ten years? it's something stupidly ludicrous. Capsuleers (and other important political folk in the EVE universe) are basically space gods.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
so is there a reason my support 'ticket' asking for refund is just sorta vanished into ether? did i need to actually email them over this or something? i can't see an 'open ticket' tab or anything on their site

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Lowtax posted:

That's always been a huge flaw here as far as I can remember. Comments start out as jokes about trivial aspects of the topic, then slowly grow more bitter and angry, and soon you've got people trying to one-up other people with harsher insults and doing things that clearly step over the line. Then the fun of the thread immediately disappears and we usually have to gas it, since posters' behaviour will continue to be just as bad, if not worse.

So what you're telling me is SomethingAwful is not in fact different from the rest of the internet?

Sir i am requesting a refund on the grounds i did not receive what i paid for you've had a decade and a half and you've missed every deadline

• Locked thread