Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm almost caught up with the thread someone please post an image of Sandy crying speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vire posted:

At best they could buy him out probably

IIRC there were like half a dozen VCs, and out of those, 2 or 3 got bought out very early on, probably because they were asking real questions.

Also,

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

thank you for your service.

Saved.

one day when this is all over. all the pictures will be unleashed... again.

Don't worry, I keep my shops on my own host, they can't take me down :smug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

redwalrus posted:

I only have the one where the crowed took off their masks?

:dogbutton:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The Sack of Austin (2015)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Swat team gets an emergency dispatch to an address in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Leader is visibly nervous while briefing his team en-route to the site: a semi-retired PhD has constructed a nuclear device, and is threatening to blow it up if the neighbour's kid doesn't stop riding the wheelchair over his wizard lawn.

A squad member asks the leader "So what's the PhD's name?". The leader mumbles something barely audible. The SWAT van comes to a stop abruptly. The driver is staring at him. After a slight pause, he comments: "Right, you guys are on your own." He opens the door and leaves, during a storm of stern orders and insults from the swat team.

As he's walking away from the van, it proceeds to drive off into the night. This was the last time anyone has heard anything of said swat team. All the records seem to have been lost, and both that night's dispatch worker and the van driver have gone missing. The only clue to the mistery is a saliva stained shred of paper with the barely legible letters "D..k..rt" on it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/TWK
1 member

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a literal child please don't sue me. Yes, I'm 30, what does that have to do with anything?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

In an internet argument about video games, we're all children.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xaerael posted:

I'm really poo poo at playing after being unable to for like 6 years, and my fingertips are going back through that wonderful searing pain stage :ssh:

It's nice to see ex citizens put their pledges to good use.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Okay which one of you wrote that? I don't know whether to cringe or cry, so I'll just laugh at that and pretend one of you wrote that as a troll.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Can we just move this thread to the helldump subforum?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

That litigation boner is getting more and more pronounced with every post.

I hope you can deal with blue balls.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

joats posted:

We will start talking about the game when it comes out.

Eh, let's face it. Even if the game comes out and blows everyone's socks off with how good it is, there's just no way to peak... whatever this is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

where is poor octopode?

IIRC his wife had a surgery very recently, so he might not have the time to shitpost at the moment. I hope she's ok.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Chris Roberts once donated blood to a man in need. That man started Blizzard Entertainment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Peven Stan posted:

Has there been a single proposed feature they haven't said no to?

Orbital mechanics. Can't have that in a space game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Star Citizen design evolution.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Guys, guys, I figured out CIG time. They kept saying "two weeks", which is 14 days.

Now, after 4 years of development, they're saying "around 10 days". Star Citizen is releasing November 2025.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yarg rolls better off the tongue.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't ~Space Marshall~ mean they spent 5k+? I.e. *spent*, not gotten gifted, like they keep saying?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Give us some loving examples of why CIG having money in reserve is bad business practice, even if it's in German. German speaking goons can at least translate it for us. Otherwise you're just a walking joke, who refutes everything with "You are wrong because I say you are wrong."

I don't disagree that having 94 million dollars "just lay around" is a bad idea, when you could be making interest off it, instead of having inflation slowly eat it up. At that kind of money, the difference between the two can easily be >10 million dollars in 3 years.

Supposedly, they're spending money on the game, though, so :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's a JPEG of a drink mixing game. Not a drink mixing game, a JPEG of one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:gary:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbmAs1pFQM0&t=20s:yarg:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

I'd be ok with Ben dying from fat reasons if only to see his comically large coffin decked out like a spaceship.

There will be no coffin. When Ben dies, he will go supernova and collapse into a black hole.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lovely game engine blurb:

Today, it's easier to take a game engine, rip the "game" part out so you're only left with the renderer, and put your own game logic into it, than it is making an engine from scratch. 3D rendering has changed a lot from the late 90s/early 00s and it's literally impossible for someone to make a well performing render engine that looks good and is also capable of rendering a lot of complex geometry+effects in less than a couple years.

It's why most games with in-house engines today are either technically demanding, but feature simple landscapes, or look just okay when doing something more complex. Making a rendering engine with dx11 is like walking a narrow path, with both sides of it being vertical cliffs. If you stay on the narrow path, your game will perform okay even when making a highly detailed world and having it look good. If you stray even a little, enjoy your shitshow.

Therefore, you instead take unreal engine, unity or cryengine, rip out all the game logic the engine shipped with, and replace it with your own. It's still far less work doing that than making a 3d renderer that will both look good and perform well in your game that's supposed to feature "AAA" levels of detail and complexity.

So, SC using cryengine didn't sound like a bad idea in 2011/12, when UE4 didn't yet exist and unity was still a joke engine for simplistic indie games. IIRC, it was the only "AAA grade" engine able to be licensed back then that didn't have a directx featureset several years out of date.

Unfortunately for crobbits, you need more than just a good rendering engine to make a good game. Add the facts that since Unity 5 released, cryengine is the new comedy option engine and UE4 being better than cryengine at just about everything, plus 20/20 hindsight, and it makes it look even worse.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Did uber nerd Carmack have an engine out back then?
Was ID 4 out or something? Could anyone understand it? What the gently caress? Another question?

Carmack's Tech 5 is a really good engine, but 1) who the gently caress knows what kind of licensing deal you could even get since bethesda took over id, and more importantly, 2) Carmack makes game engines that play well. Today, that often means they won't look as good as something else, and can you imagine crobbits settling for something that doesn't look as good as it possibly can, and then some?

It's the first difference someone who played a lot of id games notices when trying a cryengine game for the first time. There's absolutely no way to get rid of input lag on cryengine. In a quake game, you obviously ideally want as much FPS as possible for a smooth experience, but the game stays completely playable even when your FPS are in the teens, as controls stay just as responsive.

In cryengine, going below 40-50 FPS can often make games unplayable and even at a stable 60 fps, you can feel the input lag. It's just there, constantly. In a quake game, moving the mouse 2 inches moves the crosshair by the exact same amount of degrees every single time. In cryengine, it's completely loving random, and the lower your frame rate, the worse it gets. It's absolutely horrendous.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xaerael posted:

What's the odds they'll cave in and switch engines eventually?

They won't switch engines unless they're dumb.

Cryengine renderer is still the best there is, or at least close to that, and it's not like they can use anything besides the renderer for the space part of the game anyway. This would also be true of UE4 or whatever other engine, so...

As for FPS, it was going to be poo poo tier either way, and would be with any engine, but we knew that in 2012. It's a minigame inside a space game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Elite uses the in-house engine Frontier has been using and upgrading since the early 00s. IIRC they call it Cobra?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It took FFXIV like a year and a half to switch from one engine to another and it was going from a horrible proprietary engine that ran like poo poo and wasn't designed to be used at all on an MMO to one of the most efficient MMO engines in the market that can run on a toaster.

This is true, and it shows *again*, how just taking good graphics comes 3rd behind making the game play good and good art direction. Technologically, FF14 graphics are pretty bad by even 2012 standards, but with proper art direction, it's easily one of the prettier MMOs out there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

Kerbal Space Program.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

When will 2.0 be out?

Two weeks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hobbitses

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

2DCAT posted:

if Derek stole all my jpegs, i'm going to be mad

I can't emptypost this hard enough

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mormonpartyboat posted:

bitcoin breaks $400

der "ek sm" art goes missing

coincidence?

loving gently caress.

Is that what this is? Fuuuuuck.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
One of my posts disappeared for like 15 seconds. After derek stole our jpegs, is lowtax stealing our posts? Is that what's happening in here???

reminder: https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/661181798152474624

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Valatar posted:

Guys, I have to admit, I'm worried. It's looking more and more like reddit was right this whole time. I mean, I still have the receipt Derek gave me for my LTI ships, but the phone number on it seems to be an anal phone sex line.

I'd say chargeback, but that poo poo happened 2 months ago and paypal only does chargebacks for 45 days.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Is Nutella chocolate or nuts?

Oh it's nuts alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:rip: