Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014
I have been lurking into this thread for pure entertainement value since around page 30 and it managed to give me a few solid laugh and a weird desire to buy Elite Dangerous with a voice pack for its AI.

If i had any prediction to make, i think 2 scenarios are possible :

The first one is similar to what happened for APB (All Point Bulletin) : The "game" (meaning the PU) will be released (in 2-3 years) as a sordid mess in an financially unsustainable state (no way a semi mmo can support a sttaff of 100+, 5 mocap studios and 3 offices). It will flounder quickly and may be re-launched a few month later with another publisher, transformed in a pure P2W tier unlock arena shooter like War Thunder or World of *

The second one is much more grim. Squadron 42 comes out next year and is utter Shite, selling almost no units since its already been "pre-paid" by almost everyone interested in buying it. Lack of funds cause the whole thing to unravel and it goes under, making the Jpegs akin to tullips in Holland. The assets are sold to some China studio who then proceed to pump out a mobile freemium game with them.

But in my heart of heart, i dreamingly hope it get released next year with 75% of the promised contend and turn out to be a semi-decent if niche game. Goons quickly proceed to get in with starter 40$ packs and ruin everything with cheap tactics, schrewd business sense and good communication, making the Idris and Javelin owners scream with impotence on the forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

starkebn posted:

What bullshit helmet would spray light into your eyes?

Sadly, most Sci-Fi movie use that road since it make the face of the actor (the very face selling your movie and the story to the public) light up for your viewing pleasure.

2 hours of people in cockpit looking like this :

Make the story hard to follow.

If i have any beef with SC helmet design its the lack of peripheral vision. Any commander would probably have one custom made without the huge side blinder after surviving his/her first tour of duty.

Edit: Spelling.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 26, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So just do what the IronMan movies do?

Thats one way to do it but all the CGI in those shots cost money, not everyone is as good looking as RDJ that close and there is a limit of how many time you can have extreme close-up of someone before it get visually unsettling.

Sadly, the light in your face/neck is the current norm for the soft sci-fi look

Thankfully "The Martian" and "Interstellar" did not go down that road.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 26, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

So I guess here's my optimal Star Citizen outcome:

1. CIG lasts long enough to bring the engine and all the core features into a stable and functional state

2. CIG runs out of money and SC is acquired by another more competent dev

3. Star Citizen is freed from the influence of croberts and friends and is properly finished by the new dev (without all the bullshit PvP sliders and customer service minigames)

I'm very doubtfull any western dev would be willing to touch such stinky IP with a twelve foot pole. Anyone saying "We can make it good, just give us some MORE time" would have all the ire of the recently fleeced backers and none of the original faith/dream fuel, making it a very dangerous project no matter how talented you are.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Elite is really chill

For Christmas, as a gift from myself to myself with love, i'm undecided between it, "From the Depths" or "Space Engineer" but i fear the latter will make my 4Gig ram I5 with a bargain GeForce melt from the rendering alone.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*Ahem*

So I guess those were Pootatoes, huh?

Thank you, and good night.

poo poo, your right. I had forgotten about the night scenes.

but it prove the thing is nearly expectd by the audience now. The first few space tourists are going to wonder where the face light are...

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Attempt 2: I exit the spawn bedroom to find a man embedded halfway into the ceiling, only his legs visible as he kind of shuffles around the corridor. Never a good sign.

Emergent space horror gameplay.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

oh poo poo. Looks like they really are gearing up to push SQ42 out the door.

I would say media marketing blitz to capitalize on the PC Gamer spread. If they had anything serious it would have been show in the 3rd anniversary stream. Its also something that can be produced in less than a week, unlike gameplay.

for example, Saint rows 3 showed us this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN2-WSyRuO0 4 months before release, so i would say SQ42 is nowhere close to finished unless it is very short (like 4-8 hour).

Of course having SQ42 been very short play up to CGI situation, since it will count as "delivered" and they could continue to nickel and dime a good % of the backers 20$ for each "Episode" of gameplay, each an half hour of mocap cutscenes and twelve 20 minutes missions ending on a cliff hanger.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Ahh Yes posted:

This may be pure ignorance on my part, but aren't the idea of space fighters and especially space fighter pilots completely a dumb idea?

Why not just use smaller robots who aren't g-force limited and can do everything a human can do except better and aren't dumb enough to spend money on this game.

Huh well good to think about this salient point. This is my one sperg into this game.

hth

Depend how "Hard" you like your sci-fi. If you want something halfway realistic then no, fighters in space make no sense. One of the best description of space combat in a hard sci-fi book is in "The Forever War":

The troop transport our protagonist is riding get ambushed at its exit point by enemy crafts. All the people on board can do is strap themselves to acceleration couch and hope to live trough the incoming 20G of acceleration they have to face. Everything is left to the computer since it is the only thing able to calculate all intercepts vectors fast enough to give them a chance of surviving the attack by escaping.

The most horrible thing is that the whole fight get predicted in the very first seconds of the ambush since you cant cheat physics, maximum accelerations and burn rates, yet it will take minutes for the missiles and projectiles launched to reach you. Escape path and maneuvers are determined by pure cost analysis, the flight computer being allowed to kill a certain % of passengers due to high G maneuvers if it predict a higher chance of survival for the whole ship.

Crobberts is just making the dream game of a WW2 pacific theater pilot, in space.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

NotDeadYet posted:

I cannot tell if this guy is taking the piss or sincere.

If he is taking a piss, then its a powerstream from a 12 inch, throbbing wide cock.

If he is not, then at least he is using art to express how he feel in his little fractured mind, something most mental health worker agree is good.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

ErIog posted:

Remember everybody, it's not a cult. You just send your seed offering to the charismatic man, and you get back.. salvation and more wealth than you ever could have dreamed of eventually. When I tell my friends about this concept they perceive red flags like paying money while receiving very little in return except ever-expanding promises. I just don't get it! How could this possibly be a cult, you guys in this insular online community where we talk understand what I'm saying right!

Our father Crobizzle, who are in nerd heaven,
praise be your mighty Ego, shining beacon of bloated Hollywood dreams.

For without it, there would be a lot less talented developpers seeing the millions spewed from the whales blowholes and saying :

Me too i can do a sandbox space game ! (Elite: Dangerous)
With better squad gunplay ! (Angels Fall First)
And Better music too ! (Rebel Galaxy)

Better customisation and ship building ! (Space Engineer)
Deeper exploration ! (No man Sky, even if the jury is still out on this at least they are showing some gameplay)
Or simple arcade, 20 minutes fun ! (Star Sector, Void Expanse)

May you bring many more $$$ to the space genre.

Not a cult.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

doctor iono posted:

"both you guys need to get on my level or i swear to god this corp's never getting off the ground"

I know its sad and not totally healthy obsessing over Jpegs but i cant stop myself from thinking : "If everyone put half the work he put in those into AI, cancer research or space exploration we would already be immortal as a species"

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Young Freud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

Check the name on the cockpit as well as the videos that pop-up in the montage.

This video is art and will probably be dissected by future generations when this whole thing is looked at by economist or video game history students.

However, one thing has been bothering me : What does the Chili Dogs lined up on the carrier flight deck represent ?

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 27, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

doctor iono posted:

Lastly, I will cite the Milgram Experiment as a classic (even pre-internet) example

My Psy 101 teacher used to tell us "Never use Milgram in any way except to demonstrate how to NOT plan a psy or social experiment."

Aside from that Milgram was a study on obedience to authority figures. Unless the game (that does not exist yet) use voice message from Sandi politely asking you to " Please kill the other players" you cant really use it as an example.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

kordansk posted:

What is their obsession with Restoration Hardware anyway? It is extremely overpriced furniture that you can easily google and laugh at their bad decisions.

Retro hipster chic is trending this year. Why pay the prcie of some heritage quality maple that going to gain in value as it ages when you can have snazzy pre-dented aluminium instead ? I wonder how many shirts where damaged by having a thread caugt in the numerous exposed screws of that coffe table.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

It's all true. I've had way too many first hand accounting for there to be any shred of doubt in my mind. That aside from The Escapise own digging.

The sad reality is that even the people are there, RIGHT NOW, hate her guts. But people have lives, family etc and need their jobs; so naturally poo poo-talking your boss in public, or to the wrong person who could leak it, is not a good path forward.

She is the cancer of this entire project.

As I've said before, I don't hate Chris as all. He's just an incompetent dreamer. I do not believe - for one second - that he set out to scam anyone. I stand firmly on that belief as I've said in my blogs. However, life happens and people end up in some situations whereby you have to wonder how they get influenced into doing stupid poo poo. You know, like Hollywood.

I dont buy in the "Single point of human failure" theory. You need a whole team of enablers and disfunctional managers to produce so little in the time they had considering the ammount of money they received. Sandi might be the pubic face of the whole 'verse, but by no way is she responsible of everything wrong at CIG. I beleive what we are observing is similar to really poor people winning big at the lottery. 80% of them end back in poverty after 5 years, the money spent in golden toilets and novelty truck nuts.

They planned for a 2 million game, probably hoping for 3 but somehow a combination of early kickstarter success, drought of good PC exclusive and old fans finally having decent jobs produced the golden whale of unending blubber. Now they have no idea how to manage such grand vision, no idea how to transition from a "funding" to an "operation" financial model and are building up engineering debt with every new ships instead of nailing down the core elements.

I dont have access to a trove of information like M. Smart (Thank you for a rage inducing week-end trying to make Battlecruiser 3000AD run on my first Pentium 20 years ago) but i cant beleive everything would have been fine without Sandi around. She may be queen bee of the CIG hive, but she need the willing drones to carry her.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 28, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Loiosh posted:

I preferred the narrative presentation style of the LucasArts X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games, where the majority of the story happened in real time in the missions as you were doing them. It was a long time before I encountered a game with a story I enjoyed to the same degree that I liked Tie Fighter. TF was focused on a narrative that was directly related to the gameplay, it was all about logistics, ship design, secret shipments, and betrayal, all presented in mission where the scope of the combat changed based on the ongoing story and your completion of different bonus objectives.

I think i read somewhere that the team behind Tie Fighter had a lot more story available that what the pixel artist doing the transition and briefing scene coud produce in time for release. Instead of waving their hands and waiting for "the technology and budget to realise their grand vision" they made the best with what they had and weaved the remaining story elements in the polygonal engine used for flying mission. The result was something delicious still fondly hailed today as one of the best space sim ever produced.

You can also make another StarWars parallel : Lucas had to fight and compromise for his vision at every steps during the first trylogy, resulting in very good films. Once he got everything he wanted, plenty of money, complete creative control and near perfect CGI technology we ended up with the Phantom menace.

SC is Crobberts second trylogy...

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

So it's been a few hundred pages since I've provided some tips on smoking meat, so here's one.

There are a variety of woods that you can use for the purpose: Apple, Mesquite, Pecan, etc. If you're just starting, however, I'd recommend Alder. Alder is much more muted in intensity than some of the heartier woods (especially Mesquite, mesquite is bullshit). It also pairs really well with fish and chicken. Once you get accustomed to smoking effectively and have your technique down, consider moving onto other woods, or even blends! Pecan, for instance, pairs well with Mesquite (which is bullshit).

Stay tuned for more tips!

Excellent tips. You can also try planking a fish on a cedar or maple piece in your oven if you dont have a smoker but still want to explore using wood in your cooking.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Decrepus posted:

Do you think they could ever have made ANY game with 2 million?

E:D was funded on a litle less than that :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Talented individuals, even if they aspire to the best tools, learn to work with what they have. Look at the Matrix ; The first one was a 63M budget and was a very interesting, slightly deep and innovative noir movie. Matrix Reloaded had 150 million, Revolution another 150m and look at the bullshit neo-christian drivel we got. Jupiter ascending ? 183 million give you delicious eye candy CGI but unseasonned cold oatmeal storytelling.

I think SC is past the Money-Quality equilibrium point. Adding yet more cash to the equation will end up producing a worse game.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

This is a straight out lie, I just returned to my hangar from a huge battle with hundreds of people on either side and it was glorious! Thanks for changing my life Chris.

The voice from the screen was still pouring forth its tale of space battles and booty and immersion, but the shouting outside had died down a little. The waiters were turning back to their work. One of them approached with the gin bottle. Melkor, sitting in a blissful dream, paid no attention as his glass was filled up. He was not running or cheering any longer. He was back in Cloud Imperium Santa Monica Office, with everything forgiven, his soul white as snow. He was livestreaming at the "Reverse the 'Verse" desk, confessing everything, implicating everybody. He was walking down the Brown-tiled corridor, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, Chris Robberts at his back. The longhoped-for PTU Alpha 2.0 was entering his brain.

He gazed up at the enormous mush mouthed face, 3 years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the droopy eyes. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Star Citizen.

(Thank you, Mr. Orwell))

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jethro_E7 posted:

Sick of "vinegar and oil delight"?

Here's an alternative.

Wasabi Dressing

150ml of Sour cream
Wasabi (to taste)
Salt
Pepper (squish your own)
1/2 clove garlic, minced

Simply mix and serve. Adjust to taste.

Almost everything works with it, but dry some sliced tomatoes and red onions. Works well with spicy chicken wings (a recipe for another time).

Had everything at hand so i decided to try it with some chipotle smoked wings.

Its.. Unique to say the least. Might be an acquired taste. I had better results by using it as a mayo for the chips.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Has anyone considered the fact that thinking "Multi-Crew" will be fun is an illusion ? I find hard to beleive than without "level" or bonuses someone will be willing to go to "enginering" and stare at a control board while you fly your ship. Also from the stream all i could see for the co-pilot to do was manipulate thrusters level and shields, 2 things best left to the pilot since he or she is the one planning the next manoeuver.

i know deep down we would all love to fly around with our mates having fun and cheering in a cockpit but i fear it translate poorly in a video-game.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Yeah, i got to try it a few times at Lan events and after you go past the first few "This is awesome !" hours you realise not all stations are really useful past the big 3 (Conn, Weapon, Enginering) and some go completely underused in some scenarios.

As for Guns of Icarus its slow airships duels with hand aimed weapons and no stations share controls, meaning the pilot cant shoot any weapons. Half your time in a match will be spend running around fixing things between taking potshots at the other ship and the other half waiting for the correct angle to shoot.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

Their behavior reminds me of what I did when I was ten, make up pretend video games with an impossible amount of features and then I played it in my head. They're doing that, except in just spitballing and imagining on a forum, they're spending hundreds and thousands and actually expect it to be real.

I used to do that with the first X-com, Adding layers and layers of options and "would it not be awesome if ?" in my head before going to sleep.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

You mean no one wants to be the cargo re-arranger in the multi-ship? Or the janitor? Or Science where you click a button to scan something and wait?

You can have such a game and make it fun. Look at Puzzle Pirate. Having a few people doing good at some puzzles make a real difference in ship combat and having a good navigator can make voyages nearly half as long. But then the game was balanced around such things from the very begining.

A BAD way to do it is like in Startrek Online. The "Scanning..." minigame was a pass/fail, giving the same result no matter how fast you did solve it, turning the thing into a fun tax. Its like the new "repair" minigame they are sporting. From the look of things its just a pick the best materials and click "repair" while it could be a fun minigame where you either quicken the repair time or lower the cost based on your success. I would totally be down to do the "Cargo Tetris" minigame if it mean i can get a 25% increase in cargo space without any cost if i do well or if i can actually make my cargo "lighter" for the flight model (representing it being well stowed) but there is no way i'm doing it if my friends are waiting onboard to fly the next mission.

But then your player would have a real impact on the economy, and we cant have that, cant we ?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

My heart tells me to dance

My daughter prefer the new one, asking "When will the dancing kitty return ?" while i browse the thread.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300153/retaliator-first-true-multiplayer-ship-a-failure-before-release

The retaliator is going exactly the same way as the cutlass, except this time they've been using it as their flagship for 2.0. In a metaphorical sense, it kind of is. It's very pretty and it is functional, in the sense that you can get in it and fly around. But there are no crew stations, none of the gun turrets work, it only has a S3 shield, the torpedoes don't seem to work unless their target is motionless, the pilot has no self-defense weapons, and on and on. In its defense people are saying things like "It's a bomber, bombers aren't good at fighting" but they specifically sold modules for non-bomber roles, and it's going to suck at every one of those too. Even if the turrets did work, they're in awkward positions where half their view is blocked by the ship itself, and there will never be a situation where one guy in a turret is more valuable than a guy in a hornet. It's a beautifully rendered but completely worthless flying target before it's even left the first alpha test. In every way except possibly delivering ordinance against ships that don't exist right now, it is completely inferior to the Constellation. If the Constellation were capable of carrying those missiles it'd be better at that job too. It would probably be redeemable with some major rework, similar to the Cutlass, except CIG has walled itself off from community feedback pretty thoroughly at this point.

If they go down the wing commander route with torpedo run (Very long lock time where you have to stay almost motionless, slow projectile speed) those things are going to get shredded to tiny space bits by other players, no matter how good the escorts are.

But then again everything is theorycrafting in a vacuum, so i say "Meh".

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Chin posted:

Here's the best video of exciting multicrew 2.0 action I could find:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWn3E3ya_M

CIG designers sat down and figured out how to make a screen full of shield controls even less fun by having you stare helplessly at SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE half the time.

Can you feel the excitement of moving a dot around ? CAN YOU FEEL THE IMMERSION ?

Holy gently caress that was so boring... The way they did shields you need rouhgly 4 commands. Balance the shields, full foward, full backward and reinforce weakest facing.

If i had a say in this i would have done the shield system like they did in the old Robotech anime. Big energy circles you have to position manually around the ship to block shots. The "Shield Engineer" would play "eat the lazer" with it and the more laser he would eat, the more buff he would give to the other ship roles (Faster turret roation, better weapon damage, quicker ROF, ect).

Between combat he could play a "shield harmonics tuning" mini game, making his "energy circle" bigger or faster or more efficient for the next fight.

AND FOR gently caress SAKE STOP HIDING THE BEAUTIFULL SCENERY YOUR ART PEOPLE DESIGNED BEHIND FULL FACE SCRREEN. HUDS EXIST AND WHERE INVENTED FOR THAT VERY REASON.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

That multi crew may look stupid to us but Citizens don't want fun times, they want to be doing A Really Important Job in space.

When Colin clicks dots on a screen he is doing his duty, he is a Commander

That may be the case for the first 10 hours of gameplay, but like long animations it wont hold water once your up to your 20th cargo run, less alone the 200 hours you can pour in an average MMO over 3 months. Even the most sperg or sperg eventually wish he could streamline things once he realise he is just doing busywork.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

There are people who pretend to be air traffic controllers for other nerds for hours on end using stuff like this:

http://dwvac.com/

These people are among us and they spend a lot of money to fly around pretending to be pilots

I know, and some people build whole cockpits in the garage for fun. Its a great hobby, but those people alone cant pay for the infrastructure of a AAAA (A ? How many A are we claiming to use for SC now?) MMO on the long term. You need a bunch of regular "Bro" logging a few hours after work one day out of two to pay for the bandwith. Every project or kickstarter that decided to pander "only to the hardcorest or the hard" sunk into oblivions after a few months.

Even EVE, the game more fun to read about than to play and know to have probably the highest difficulty cliff after Dwarf Fortress has streamlined his "new pilot" experience about every two years, each time making it easier and easier to join.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 30, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Loiosh posted:

That's baby stuff. Here's grown-up version: https://www.vatsim.net/about

Look, you can even submit your flight plan on the website - https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/file-flightplan

This is more the "Job training in your free time" level of dedication. Those people may be enjoying themselves, but i would not call that "fun" in a video game product sense of the term.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Madcosby posted:

CR figured out how to get people to see his movies. Put them into games that people already paid for

Yup. There was no way anyone would finance another wing commander (Even if they managed to convince the famous space bulldozer to reprise his role) and since Crobberts only know how to tell 2 stories :

A: Ace pilot with unresolved daddy issues and a problem with authority figure fight to preserve Humanity

and

B: Average working space joe get enrolled in alien/governement conspiracy that threaten humanity

he looked at kickstarter and saw that the pubbies where not financing indy movies but throwing hundred of thousands on vanity MMO projects.

Thus began the greatest "Bait and switch" of crowdfunding young life. He tricked the whales into thinking they are financing a dream MMO while they are in fact payin him his own movie studio. The numerous shell companies are also standard for Hollywood accounting, limiting your risk and potential amount of $$$ you have to pay actors if they negotiated for a % of the net bonus.

Thats why the ships make no functionnal sense, they are art assets first and foremeost. Thats also why this shitshow has 10+ Youtube series and thats also why SQ42 is being DIRECTED (not developped) by our lord and savior of PC gaming.

He's not making a MMO, he's re-making Wingcommander 3 and 4.

If any game in a playable state come out of this we will have to thanks some unknow poor german saps who burned their life and health away trying to make something salvageable out of Crobberts hand spastic "Vision" and upside down dev process.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

G0RF posted:

Ben said they're going to open it up so that fan-generated material can fill their programming channels. That should turn out well.

GAAAHHH !

Too deep in the rabbit hole ! ABORT !

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Furious Mittens posted:

It just keeps getting better and better - now people are designing their life's work, their home, around Star Citizen (for that matter, a video game!). What in the gently caress is wrong with these people?

My answer would be spirituality

(Disclamer : i was raised in a Bhuddist community and while not one myself i grew up in that culture so my perception might be biased)

With the decline of religion and spirituality in western culture some people find other way to fill the void in them that was usually occupied by religious practice. They seek a sense of community and well being, having the impression your life is of some importance. Some turn to Tumblr and social justice crusades, other to StarCitizen.

It take some willpower to accept that your life is a random chance happening in a cold, uncaring universe and that the only meaning you will find is the one you make for yourself. Some people just buy Jpegs and try to escape away forever..

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

So whenever they release a patch, 2.0 is stable for a little while then goes back to being a crash-fest. What could be the root of that problem?

My money would be on memory leaks or some services hogging all the CPU server side. There is a limit to German engineering.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Nalin posted:

Actually, the best thing about SotS 2 was reminding people that SotS 1 is still a pretty good game.

So many long winter nights spend managing a Morrigis empire. The Liirs had the coolest backstory.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

The game is always a year and a half from release. The next module is always three months away.

We've always been at wars with Eastasia...

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

Milgram is appropriate to this internet videogame about spaceships because

Its not. I think he is mixing the "Milgram experiment on obedience to authority figures" and Stanford prison experiment ( a study of the psychological effects of becoming a prisoner or prison guard) trying to prove the point that anonymous people with power tend to be dick to others if they can get away with it.

the TL;DR is "i'm rambling on systems that dont exist yet and without solid informations but i KNOW I dont want anyone to have fun in a different way than me. Also i have a poor understanding of psychology experiments."

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i love the super cluttered cockpit

If (IF) this game ever release, the rift between the true beleivers wanting to keep the original (Now in CROBSVISION!(tm)) HUDS vs The sane players wanting to customize it so it only display the important information in a minimal way will be forum shattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

Yes, Bengal largest you can capture and fly, not for sale (so far).

Ahem. Goals can change while in development, but i must admit the possibility of going full kamikaze along with Goons in starting ships on a Fury fleet owned Bengal (probably named something like "F.S.S. Smoochypaws") for giggles would make me consider picking up this game in 2018.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 3, 2015

• Locked thread