Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

I took care of it. Check out the OP now. It's all there.

The hero we deserve and need. Good job Derek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Raskolnikov posted:

Dorkpriest667 joins ranks with Serph84 as the only two socially awkward enough people to get banned from my teamspeak 3

This one is for you Dorkpriest667

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGZwCI3vkA

you guys are rich. I love it. I wasn't even upset but you two seemed to be upset over something that was nothing. I'll go cry now that I am banned from your team speak.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Classic.

They do realize that the lawsuit goes live in 5 days right? As soon as it clears legal.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Raskolnikov posted:

Mansplained gender to a trans woman while shouting over everyone else to get his point across. I ain't got time for that.

Not quite hypocrite. I was simply making a joke which was not received well and then when I was in the middle of explaining with a preparation to apologize I was being talked over. When I realized I was dealing with child like maturity. I excused myself since it was time for me to go work out.

Just because Dick Wulf harassed you and your friend doesn't give you permission to be an rear end in a top hat. It's sad that it happened but it's not a license to be a shithead.

As for me not having tact and being an educator? I at least let people finish their sentences before talking over them with bullshit. This is SA not the loving Region ESC where I am dealing with professionals or my students.

I am a dork? Absolutely. I don't really have fucks to give about it. I don't spend my freetime at conventions for games that don't exist and I sure as hell don't spend 1000s of dollars on JPEGS. If you go back and check I've absolutely admitted to spending 182 which I don't need a refund for because I basically expected that money to be flushed down the toilet I made a bet and lost.. At this point I am here for the tears of redditors, dick wulf, and the brown sea at the expense of Derek Smart's retainer lawyers. So far money well spent CARRY ON GOONS :D

Beer and Eowne still the best two goons.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

3 posted:

eonwe, i love you bro, but speaking as someone who strives to improve his pedagogy and skills as an educator on a daily basis, dorkpriest is a stain on the profession.

I bet your PDAS appraisals are poo poo. Mine are stellar. I love my job, I love my district, and I am revered in my school by students and staff alike. I give a poo poo about kids and their future. I'm sorry you have a stick up your rear end. I hope you get that treated.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

The Santa Monica move was already in the works. I tweeted about it weeks ago. The new office is the one with the $20K cappuccino machine and which was halted due to a dispute with the contractor.

Frankfurt (CryTek guys) is working with Foundry 42 (SQ42) to get SQ42 out the door asap.

They are doing a major downsizing of Austin to save costs. It's cheaper in Germany than it is in the US. Plus that's where they can get more CryTek guys.

Getting a larger office space is meaningless and has no bearing on their ability to complete and ship a game.

Interestingly enough there is an inverse relationship between office space they have and their productivity.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

This is precisely as I said in my blogs. The problem is that they are in fact actively seeking a bail out. What form (investors, publisher, loans) remains to be seen. But it will happen because given the decline in 2015 funding compared to previous years, not to mention all the bad PR, refunds etc, chances are that they won't survive 2016 without either a) shipping something b) getting a bail out

Of course, what most backers don't know - or are ignoring - is that Croberts has actually gone on the record as saying they have no investors. When in fact they actually do. And I now know at least two. One of whom, just last week, forced them to refund the entire investment. And neither of these two has ever seen the company financials. Despite a) being entitled to them b) repeatedly asking for them

No ask yourself this: Why would a company refund to share its financials with an investor if they weren't hiding something?

Let me play Devils advocate for a moment in answering your question.

Maybe they refunded the investor because they have the finances that they don't need that capital.

Now let's get back to reality. They refunded her/him so they don't have to show the financials.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Yahoo has weighed in. Shitizens don't like it but now the main stream press is catching on. (Yes Yahoo is mainstream now. Old people read it.)

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/the-most-ambitious-space-game-in-history-has-raised--94-million--so-where-is-it-213831707.html?nf=1

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Eonwe posted:

Someone talk Darth Alyssa into posting here

I'll pay for the account

Seconded, I'd buy her a nice avatar or premium whichever. I think more ex-CIG employees would be good for this thread.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Sure, it's about Star Citizen, but look what you're surrounded by here.

As a girl who codes? No, I am not welcome there.

Yeah I didn't sign up either. I don't like jumping into those types of pits.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

3 posted:

derek, we probably can't change your mind about going on this literal no-joke nazi's interview, but at the very least please spend the duration of the interview calmly pointing out that you are an immensely successful person of color in the industry and see how he reacts.

3 and I don't like each other or agree on many things, but 3 is right. Derek, you should not fail to mention repeatedly how you are a successful black man. A successful black game developer. This piece of poo poo needs to hear it.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

I do care about everyone's opinions here. Why else would I be responding?

Who are you and what have you done with Dr. Smart?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Here is my cat FYI that balance sheet is all sorts of hosed up.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is unbelievable. Unless "broken wrist" is an euphemism, how would it take him "out of action" for weeks? Okay, I get he can't code well with one hand, but is he really the only coder they have on hand for the FPS? And if not, why couldn't he come to the office, broken wrist notwithstanding, and help direct programming efforts/hunt and peck?

I guess I'm overthinking this and they're just running out of ways to say "sorry lol we late" at this point.

The story is he broke BOTH of his wrists. However, that brings up the question how the gently caress do you break both damned wrists?

Secondly, is this the only loving programmer on the team?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The average wage fails to take into account the numerous other expenses that such an endeavor requires. Infrastructure, utilities, benefits, equipment, licensing, contracts, travel, all of that is expensive. Then you have the nonrecurring costs like multiple motion capture systems, paying A-list actors, building a new studio in one of the most expensive parts of the US, paying for Sandi's vacation research trip, and severance for all those employees who leave because that's totally normal.

The actual costs can easily be double or triple the salary of an employee.

You and I discussed this on the brown sea almost 2 years ago. People thought we were loving nuts. The truth is, they're loving idiots who have no idea what economic rents are. It's more than just the gross salaries of employees. You know what my employer's biggest cost besides wages is? Electricity. We spent millions on electricity last year.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

peter gabriel posted:

I'd have thought McDonalds spent more on gas but you live and learn

I AM ONLY JOKING CITIZEN HO HO HO

all in good fun goonfriend. I never did work at Mickey D's but I did work at Burger king when I was a teenager for about 2 months.

Nickiepoo posted:

Do you work in one of those schools where they jack the students up to the mains when they get a question wrong or something?

No, I have no idea what jacking them up to the mains is. When my students are wrong we discuss it and then we go over it so they can get it right. I've told them before "I'm not trying to screw you, I want to help you. Berating you for being incorrect is a stupid way to teach someone." I prefer to lift them up not push them down.

EDIT--- all that said, when someone is fanatic about something and you know they're wrong and have patiently spent weeks,months, or, in the case of star citizen, years. It's safe to say berating is now fair game.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 20, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Patrick is the lead moderator dipshit .

I'll tell you why.. He fits the definition better

dip·poo poo
ˈdipˌpoo poo/Submit
noun NORTH AMERICAN vulgar slang
a contemptible or inept person.

mod·er·a·tor
ˈmädəˌrādər/
noun
a person who moderates an Internet forum or online discussion.

RED 5 Patrick.... Patrick... RED 5

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

spacetoaster posted:

So......"refunded" back in early October. Money has not there. And my RSI account is gone.

And nobody is answering my emails.

Chargeback time? How do I start that process?

You call the bank or credit card company and report that you want to chargeback for a product that has not yet been delivered and should have been delivered a YEAR ago.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

obviously. Please explain what exactly it is I had pulled out of my rear end, when in fact, every loving thing I've said since July, has actually happened as predicted and stated. Denial is not a river in Egypt.

I think he/she is being ironic Derek.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

G0RF posted:

The only thing worth noting at this point is the Parp Wave Regression. It's the line in green.

In statistics, Parp Wave regression is an approach to linear regression in which the statistical analysis is undertaken within the context of Parpian inference. When the regression model has errors that have a normal distribution, and if a particular form of prior distribution is assumed, explicit results are available for the posterior probability distributions of the model's Parp-ameters.

Put simply, "Paaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrpppp!"

If that's too simply put, the most telling trend not noted by CIG's ever-busy continent of nerd statisticians is the gradual erosion of baseline revenue. The fundraising trend of CIG, while not being quite so dire as we sometimes joke, suggests that in the absence of increasingly aggressive sales to existing backers (ones which often violate the spiritual compact of prior sales), CIG is trending downward, revenue-wise.

In short, it feels like the Mania Phase of Star Citizen is far behind us, and the Blow Off Phase is beginning.

CIG betrays their own insecurity about their financial circumstances by taking actions which crap upon promises made existing backers for the sake of CIG's continued short-term enrichment. Now, given the severity of their own backer base's Stockholm Syndrome, the cries of outrage by those experiencing emergent lucidity are often muted by others via down votes and insults.

In that way, it's a bit like that old joke about the man being given a tour of hell. Everywhere he looks, he sees people of different nationalities in boiling cauldrons, and their every attempt to escape is met by a demon with a fork pushing them back in... Then he sees a cauldron full of Russians, entirely unguarded, and asks the devil, "Why is no one guarding that cauldron?" And the Devil replies, "They're Russians, when one of them tries to escape, the rest pull him back in..."

I think CIG will have a "good" month-- inasmuch as they'll raise several million dollars, but it will be harder fought than in sales prior, and there is the very real risk that a decent number of suckers fleeced with earlier promises of their ONE OF A KIND LIMITED EDITION $2500 IDRIS two years ago are going to demand their money back. But we will not see the outflow of cash, only the inflow, and even that may not be entirely trustworthy.

In all of this, I'm not saying "The End Is Here!", because I don't believe that. But CIG's easy money-raising years are, I think, behind them. So, in the face of declining fund trends, now all they have to do is deliver a game that does these things, not these things.

One of the best posts in all of the SC threads unironically.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For even more entertainment, ponder the idea of charging $1 for 1000 space bux when a glorified golf cart costs 15,000.

What is entertaining is 15 dollar space golf carts are more real and playable than 2000 2500 dollar space destroyers, in a game, that is about flying in space.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 23, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

stuxracer posted:

Alright I am going to buy my way into the game. What package should I purchase?

This one or don't bother

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

PSH you linked him to a casual package.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Tortolia posted:

That is completely loving ludicrous. Can you initiate a chargeback because the stated refund period is unreasonably long?

You can initiate a chargeback anyway and I have no idea why he hasn't. I would have initiated one the moment they gave me the run around.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ahh Yes posted:

Has anyone thought about creating a kickstarter for a full feature length AAA Hollywood film about the making of Star Citizen where Mark Hamill can play Chris Roberts and also play Mark Hamill.

And we can sell the dream of adding backers names to end credits for a small one time fee, but you better be quick if you want to see your name first on the list.

Actually just get Mark Hamill to read out all the backers names in his "Old Man" voice with a black background and a violin playing. With maybe the occasional jpeg thrown in for posterity.

You'd have to raise at least 50 million just for the mocap.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

G0RF posted:

Their expressions...

Those reactions...

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Paladinus posted:

Imagine caring so much about Star Citizen that you religiously read every post in this thread and in /r/StarCitizen and then discuss there posts made here.

Hell I care about this thread and I don't even read every post in this thread.

Disclaimer: I do not actually care about this thread. It's just entertaining.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chargeback for the VD purchases as well. gently caress them.

This

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Eonwe posted:

if you make purchases that you have to hide from your significant other you shouldn't be making those purchases have a significant other

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Bootcha posted:

At this point, we hear a gently caress ton from Santa Monica, some poo poo from Austin, and very little poo poo from Manchester. And in terms of production, that's from least to most.

The further away from Chris and Sandi you are the more work gets done.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

I have it on good authority (don't ask) that they're burning through around $3m per month now. They are trying to trim that; though it's not really working because what they save by closing Austin and down-sizing to a smaller location, laying people off etc is countered by the increased spending on the new Santa Monica location.

ps: They still haven't acknowledged publicly that they are in fact closing the existing Austin studio and downsizing to a smaller location.

What's stupid about the decision to close Austin in the attempt to save money is that Austin is probably the cheapest location they had as far as rent and utilities go. I'll be honest, I don't know what the rent in Frankfurt is, but the rent in Manchester and Santa Monica (or anywhere in the LA area that isn't a poo poo hole) is killer. Now, when saying Austin is cheaper than somewhere else to have a business that's saying something. Anyone from Austin will tell you it's not loving cheap. Which again goes back to my point 18 months ago on the brown sea, there is no way they have anyone with any financial sense more than say a Karl or a Seraph to be making decisions like this.

If you do ever get any discovery and it shows any accounting work whatsoever it will probably be in crayon in a language that is closer to toddler gibberish than an accounting ledger.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

kordansk posted:

Holy poo poo, how do you people not know how employee costs work for a company. Most companies factor the salary somewhere between 30-50% of the cost per employee. Also, there is no way that people aren't making at least 40k/yr on the minimum end of the spectrum.

They're trying to be nice. Beer and some other folks in a thread that has long since been closed on the brown sea calculated they were burning through 2 to 2 and a half million a month and that was 18 months ago. I believe we were also being generous and saying the average employee salary was 35k a year. That was back when they had "500 employees" or something ridiculously stupid.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

New footage of the Connie in flight with multi-crew 100% functional

Is that IL-2 1946?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I really want another Il-2 1946

Myself also, I played it very heavily for a few years. It was a fun game and I had a blast learning how to fly on that game. It was unforgiving but fun. I actually enjoyed flying in bomber squadrons the most in multiplayer online. I haven't played it in years, but it was a very good game.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sandi is Karl, wow I thought this thread wasn't going to possibly peak any higher, and then it was revealed that Sandi is Karl. :perfect:

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Lord please let Octopode be a libertarian with a government job. Lord my God I don't ask for much please oh please God.

If that happens to be true and he admits it. This thread will have peaked.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Mirificus posted:

The peak would be if Karl is really Sandi Gardiner.

I thought we had already established this as true.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sarsapariller posted:

Hmm. Well, up until a couple of weeks ago I was pretty certain there wasn't going to be a game. So the release itself was compelling for me. Beyond that, let me answer these as best as I can.

What specifically is it that you see that is going to provide enduring gameplay interest in PTU 2.0?

Right now, nothing. I'm really enjoying flying around and PvPing at random people in the world, but there is no depth to it. There's nothing to be gained or lost and 80% of the systems don't work properly so you can't really vary your tactics much. On top of that the servers lag so badly that you'll get a message saying "Missiles dodged" at the same time that the server registers a hit and takes your ship apart. As it is, it'll probably hold my interest for another few nights. I tried some Arena Commander to see if that had gotten any better- nope. 22 minutes of shooting the same model of ship over and over, no challenge, no reward for completion (Well, like 1300 REC, but that's pointless because the guns you can buy don't work.)

If CIG adds two more stations next year?

They'll have to add a whole hell of a lot more than that. We are way past the point where trickling out one or two minor details at a time is sufficient. This is an okay platform on which to build a game- you've got physics and ships and you can get in and out of them. Content had better come hot and heavy now or interest will wane rapidly.

Are you saying you can see glimpses of the epic space sim that this embryonic alpha could become?

Yes- okay I guess I lied about the compelling part earlier. What compels me is moments like, tonight, shooting at a ship at the PvP station as the owner ejected and then trying to kill him as he tried to fly inside. Or looking around the cabin of the Constellation and realizing someone has stowed away in one of the beds (and then discovering that my pistol doesn't work inside- god drat it CIG). Every other space game has had you playing as the spaceship which is nice and all. All your interactions with the world are at a bit of a remove because of that. CIG has put a ton of hard work into making a game where you are playing as an FPS character, who can do all the usual space things but then also get up and walk the length of the ship, get out, run around outside, and get back in. Despite all the problems it has introduced, and oh my god there are so many, that is still a really neat mechanical function and I don't recall ever seeing a game really execute on it as well. It's hard to describe why it's so different from running up to a vehicle in say Planetside 2 and hitting "F" to be teleported straight inside, but it really does add another level for me. Things feel more real- well, until they bump into one another, and then they feel massless and lovely.

Or is it already well on its way there?

The foundations are there and almost nothing else. The guns aren't done, the ships aren't done, the character movement sucks, the quest mechanics are rear end, the NPC's are tedious, there is no progression mechanism, there's no functioning economy. You've got space, ships, and the ability to walk around them, and that's it.

Sandi seemed to describe PTU 2.0 in terms that surprised me-- that she thought the majority of the work was done and that 2016 was a time to really start sharing the game with the masses. Do you agree?

No, I do not agree with her. She has no context because she's not a game designer, game player, or student of game history. To say nothing of her other qualities. I see this kind of person all the time in my work. I'll have the major foundation of a project done and some dipshit VP will say "Great! So it'll be out next week?" Well, no, all that's there is the hardest work, the algorithms that make it run. Everything else needs to be built- the tedious work of structuring a UI and adding content. To say nothing of QA which usually takes as long as all the rest put together. None of that has been done here- a whole lot has been sold but none of it exists to make this a proper game. Sandi's just ready to check the gently caress out and I hope she does- the company will be better for it.

I can't see how this game offers anything truly superlative yet.

It doesn't. It offers a moderately interesting 2 hour experience at a price tag that would make NASA blush. I suspect that given time, they may be able to add enough content to make it a passable and fun game. That's not high praise- given enough time, even Mechwarrior Online managed that. It will never be worth what the spergs have put into it, and if they were paying what it was worth, CR would have been bankrupt long ago. But it's a cult now and I suspect they will fund it until whatever content they're endlessly churning on finally dribbles out. I'm not disappointed by that- if they want to spend that much, I'll happily follow along and see how it develops. I'm sure as hell not putting anything in.

I notice we never check our pms enough. I've sent you a reply.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Well Forbes has has figured it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

So we're space Jews? Well that would make sense, Karl is German. Is Dick Wulf German? It feels like an oven in here.

• Locked thread