Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Your credibility is 0.
Actually, Derek is batting over .500 on detailed predictions regarding CIG's future-- which is considerably better than CIG's record.

As amazing as this is to type (I honestly can't believe my brain is letting my fingers type it), "Derek Smart is one of the most credible authorities rendering judgment on Cloud imperium at this time."

I know this has proven a very difficult thing for Star Citizen backers to accept. It runs counter to the triumphalist "I've come to save PC Gaming and create the Best drat Space Sim Ever!" narrative of Chris Roberts and to the "destroyer of Coke Machines and producer of much derided games" reputation of Derek Smart. Yet the narratives are irrelevant to the facts since July, and the fact is, Derek has predicted CIG's steps with eerie accuracy.

We do not yet have confirmation as to their financial standing. Derek's claims that CIG was down to an 7 figure cash reserve as of late summer is perhaps his most outrageous claim of all-- yet it seems telling that Ortwin and Chris ignored this particular whopper in their detailed replies to the Escapist article. Nothing would have been easier to refute-- and no other claim The Escapist (and formerly Derek Smart) was more dire about the state of things at Cloud Imperium.

But even if Derek is proven wrong on this point, he's still batting over .500. His credibility is unfortunately higher than you estimate.

quote:

You're supposed a grown up man, but you're nothing more than a bully.
Well, I'd agree Derek can be a bully, but in ways both good and bad, he's considerably more than that.

quote:

At this point this 'threat assessment' was a compliment.
I can think of no individual on this planet who has proven a greater threat to CIG than Derek Smart, save for Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Assuming this train manages to keep going for a good while longer, I still think saying "the graphics look a bit dated to me" will be both true and result in amazing levels of denial.
See but that's where CIG's prioritization of making things "fun to play" will save them.

Oh wait, sorry- never mind.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

BigMouthSingers posted:

There is one simple thing for me.

If it turns out CIG executives have been buying first class plane tickets using backer funds I would be very disappointed.

I can understand flying business class or premium economy and then upgrading with their own money to first class.

On "Reverse the Verse" after Citcon, there was an interesting exchange.

Thomas Hennessy was addressed by the crew - he was behind the camera, and Sandi mentioned flying with him back from the UK. The camera was turned by Jared to face Thomas and ask benign questions about the trip, to which he replied something like, "Yeah, Sandi and I flew back together. She was in the upstairs area--"

Which prompted a quick reply from Sandi off-camera, "Don't worry folks it was still Economy."

I went and dug around on double decker planes flying international routes. It seems like the majority reserve upstairs for Business Class and First Class.

I'm not saying it's impossible Sandi was telling the truth. Just that I was already laughing when Thomad made his comment and before Sandi finished her retort, simply because the first thing that popped into my mind was "Well of course she flew first class!"

(I'm sorry, Sandi, if I'm judging you unfairly...)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I have no idea. At least with those religions you have one codified book you can argue over. With wulf it's just rambling BS forum posts as holy atheist scripture.

Well, that's the SC cult too, I guess. Have any of them codified the letters from the chairmen into a bible yet? Are the 10 for the producers like the books written by the apostles? I'm afraid to look because it might actually have happened.
It's happening all the time.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Im_drunk posted:

Just want to point out, to be completely fair, that A380 used by most British Airways UK bound flights from US have a lot of economy seats upstairs.
I'm glad you posted this --- because as much as the cynic in my would like to believe the worst at all times, I know that doing so isn't really fair or reasonable... I've only flown on a double-decker plane once in my life-- and on that flight, I did fly upstairs in the swanky business class seats. That certainly colored my perception, and perhaps unfairly.

So let it be noted that I'd amend my prior anecdote, and acknowledge that the possibility exists that Sandi was telling the honest truth about that particular issue.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Karl_Ramseier posted:

If you sling enough mud around some of it will stick.
This cliched analogy assumes that Derek's accurate accusations were somehow causal to CIG's problems.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Most things he predicted were completely wrong, some half truth. Not one 100% accurate.
A Neurotic Jew addressed this already so I won't belabor the point of noting your error.

quote:

CIG on the other side has the worst PR department I ever saw.
I'm glad we agree on something. There's hope for you yet!

Karl_Ramseier posted:

We won't get any detailed information about their financial standing if they don't want to. Forget about that it's just Smart's wet dream. And I strongly hope they don't have millions just lying around.
We likely won't. Save for Bootcha, who has a right as an investor to require that disclosure. I wouldn't expect him to share that here, but the fact that he's already completely lost hope in the management team, based on his own research, should give you pause, as should the fact that you sincerely hope they DON'T have millions just lying around. (Cash is their lifeblood, and the less of it they have, the greater the likelihood they will fail to deliver 'The Best drat Space Sim Ever'. Just FYI.)

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Star Marine was/is a fiasco. They are rebuilding it from scratch, but this isn't the end of days. As long as they have enough money they continue to produce these games and either they succeed or they don't, we certainly can't change that.
Hey, we agree on a second thing. Yet you don't seem to agree with yourself, since only sentences ago you said you hoped they don't have millions lying around. Unless you are rooting for it to fail, which you obviously aren't, then you should consider doing the work of reconciling your contradictory opinions. Cognitive dissonance is a burden to those afflicted with it, and you deserve better than to suffer from it unnecessarily.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

(Derek) is a human being desperately seeking attention.
When has he ever not been? Yet here again, we agree. Unfortunately, in his lifelong quixotic quest for attention, he finally seems to have struck Spindletop. He has the attention of hundreds of thousands, thanks in no small part to the inability of the Star Citizen zealots to ignore him. In so doing, they elevated the gadfly into a SuperVillain, helped turn media spotlights on him in the process, and ultimately prompted embarrassing and legally ill-considered overreactions from both Roberts AND Ortwin. Sandi, too, even-- between repeated tweeted 'discoveries' of dubious proofs of her educational credentials, laughingly disingenuous claims at Citcon that "Chris is my husband, it's no secret!", and the emotional resignation-that-wasn't speech she gave the same day.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Phew, then they have nothing to fear.
Okay!

Karl_Ramseier posted:

This thread is as much an echo chamber as the star citizen subreddit.
Not true. You're actually free to state your rebuttals without fear of being downvoted to oblivion. And you aren't the only person here who remains incredibly optimistic about the future of Star Citizen.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

You guys are exaggerating everything bad and the Redditors everything good.
Unfortunately, history seems to be conforming more to the perceptions of goons than spacenerds. If it wasn't, we'd have a Best drat Space Sim Ever by now, right? Instead we have a few modules, a vanishing FPS, a ship production backlog of over 70% against sold inventory, perpetually missed release dates, a miserable flight mechanic (along with promises to improve it), a Retaliator that can't stay visible in a highly managed "tour" of the PU that looked more like a bad ragdoll flyover and an only slightly updated version of the ending of Carpenter's "Dark Star".

Karl_Ramseier posted:

The truth is just somewhere in the middle.
:gary: ---"PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRP!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ash1138 posted:

Aren't travel expenses for business trips tax deductible? If it's really no big deal, why would she even get defensive about it?
She was concerned with the public image issue that would arise from perceptions that she chose to upgrade and enjoy the more expensive and luxurious seats in Business Class and First Class. This particular issue-- of reckless misuse of funds to afford luxurious indulgence-- is one that she's grown more eager to avoid, in the face of accusations of CIG-subsidized Porsche leases and rental property in Pacific Palisades...

(Oh, and $20K expresso machines for the Santa Monica office.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

And from an anon Austin dev earlier in October:
Funny those Austinites seem miserable while the recent reviews of Santa Monica folk(s) seem so chipper. Wonder why that would be?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Frontier responds to tickets in hours, CIG in weeks.

Why this isn't a source of outright shame at CIG I have no idea...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Wow Gorf, you're freaking scary.
We're all just pretenders by comparison.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 20, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hey-- we got some new dates from CIG! (Sorry if this was already posted...)

Source.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 2, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

does alpha 2.0 have anything fun in it
For us, surely.

For players, no.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

janssendalt posted:

hey guys and goons
this game is coming out
and it's going to be the best

We already discussed that. But I am curious, given your enthusiasm, if you can clarify what "Full product in a year" specifically refers to?

1 - Squadron 42 (If this- is it the commercial release? If yes, is it the first chapter of missions? All missions?)
2 - The Persistent Universe (If this, will it include all ships thusfar sold, 100 Star Systems, 4 alien languages, space pets, and everything else listed in Stretch Goals? How many players will be supported per instance?)
3 - The full commercial release of Star Citizen (Both of the above?)

If you know, please confirm. If you don't, that's okay-- but then what exactly are you excited about?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Madcosby posted:

The craziest part about this mixing minigame is that so much of the full version of the game is required in place for it to serve any purpose

-They have to build the ship that basically a passenger plane (it's just a jpg right now)
-They have to make the ship flyable
-They have to have multi-crew in for the many seats inside
-They have to program NPCs that actually want a place to go
-They have to program NPCs to have individual demands
-They have to program ability to travel from star system to star system
-They have to program places to land
-They have to program a way to drop off and load NPCs
-They have to have a working economy to insert pricing
I think it's even crazier that that jpeg-- and all it represents-- made it through multiple parties inside CIG without someone actually saying "Hell no we're not releasing that! We're making the Best drat Space Sim Even, not some dumbed-down remake of BarSim!

Who made this? You're fired. Go. The devs have enough real crap to worry about without having to deal with some flash mini-game for the dumbasses who bought the Spacebus."

An artist designed it. Ben approved it. Sandi approved it. Chris approved it.

That is all that anyone need know about the future of Star Citizen.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 2, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The Saddest Robot posted:

What you have to realize is that just because Chris Roberts promises a feature doesn't mean that they will develop it.

This is how game development works.
If you're being ironic, ignore the following correction.

No, that's how "game development" works when you work for Molyneux. Roberts, or other 'visionaries' with pathological inclinations towards scope runaway and over-promising. And it's a formula for generating maximum short-term hype and the expense of long-term credibility, and their legacies are built on one success in the distant past, followed by a string of failures.

Well run gaming studios don't have histories of talking up all the feature-sets before they've even locked basic mechanics of play. Well run studios don't talk about their games before they've moved past internal alpha stage development and are well-into beta. Some don't even talk about them until they're in QA stage doing the bugsmashing on a game they've not yet announced and have previously refused to confirm is in development. Like these guys.

And crowdfunding is no excuse. Harebrained demonstrated exactly the kind of discipline and restraint that Chris has always lacked in their latest Battletech kickstarter. No stretch goals, promises NOT to expand scope beyond what they were pitching. Their project was in fact a passive-aggressive rebuke of Chris Roberts, and the digs made at Star Citizen are hardly subtle, because Harebrained knows the damage that folks like Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux cause for the reputation of the industry at large.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The Saddest Robot posted:

"Let me go ahead and give this blanket answer for everything that you hear about in 10 for the Chairman and ATV and everything. These are - they're intentions. There's the things we would like to do. There's the things that we sign our people to explore, to figure out - you know, go and see about making this happen. Then there's the challenge. Then there's - going through and figuring out how to make all this happen. Not everything's going to become a reality exactly the way we spoke about it; not everything's going to work with every other system; it's an exploration - that's what development is. So that's probably why I don't know anything about it because we haven't actually done any work on it yet."
Yes, that's exactly what defenders of a pathologically overpromising, under delivering, scope-creeping once successful repeatedly unsuccessful game developer have to say. They know (NOW) they have to start deflating the expectations bubble that Chris Roberts has, once again, overinflated.

If you think is standard operating procedure at well-run game dev studios, I encourage you to play more games than Freelancer, Fable, and Daikatana.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Hahahahaha.

Hey Karl. Let me vette.

I got a WC FMV helmet prop. A gift from Lesnick for making sure he was comfortable and welcome in Austin. poo poo I still have his wife's desert plants she game me too.
I asked CR about his movie industry credentials at the GDC reveal. Somehow, that seems pertinent.
I was there all day and night at the 24 hour "end-of-funding" (hahaha) livestream. I provided the champagne, CR's milk for his espresso, and several other food runs to keep everyone going.
I'm in the picture of "The Pledge". You remember this thing?

I did the stage management at the first CitCon in Austin alongside Viewmaster.
I was on Wingman's Hangar. And I did a lot of production assistance whenever they needed it.
Dr. Hawk interviewed me long long long ago, ID'ed as one of THE INVESTORS. It was no big deal back then.
I AM THE ONE WHO LAMPS.

I was, and still am to a certain extent, one of the spergiest Wing Commander spergs. I kinda consider myself Patient Zero to this whole Star Citizen thing.

And yet I feel something is wrong. Something wrong enough to warrant action.
So glad you posted that. I was going to go back and paste that pic in earlier but figured if you were dealing with CIG bullcrap and they were watching your actions here it might cause problems.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Listened to the Hawk interview and watched the Wingmans with Bootcha on it. So low key about everything and such a generous supporter of the early CIG crew.

CIG doesn't deserve to have classy investors, Bootcha. But it does buoy the soul to know you've got the legal right to cause trouble- and that Chris and Sandi just can't fire, ban, or ignore you. I guess once you're out we can root for its failure without reservation.

I nominate you to make the "Citizen Con" documentary the world desperately needs right now. Crowdfund it and I'm down for a donation. You throw Beer, Wingman, James, the Days, and the rest of the inside witnesses in (with Derek serving as the colorful outside provocateur), and you are only a couple of years away from taking the Audience Prize at Sundance.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

quote:

Comm-Link Schedule: November 2nd, 2015

Today brings you 10 for the Writers with Will and Adam (look for Chris to return in next week's episode), Wednesday is another day of Mark smashing bugs, ATV on Thursday includes a chat with Tyler Witkin from the QA team and a look at the new Santa Monica office we're moving to this weekend, and Friday brings Reverse the Verse, the Weekly Development Update, and the Monthly Report for October.
I am genuinely excited to see this.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

People saying it's going to come out soon- what are you basing that on? Seems like all they've done is show some more demo vids, but I mean... they showed demo vids of a fully working FPS game last year, so we know that's not a real indication of anything. All I've seen other than that is that "Ten days" CS ticket (which is an odd loving way to leak the information).
Yeah, it didn't have a name attached to it, which seems slightly fishy. Though there was that earlier refund request response which seemed to suggest the user might want to wait until they saw what CIG had coming soon, so I don't know what to think.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

10 Places You Can (Pretend To) Visit in Star Citizen!

It's so sad that people are actually excited about being able to look at pics of pretend planets. They can't do ANYTHING beyond look them and read about them -- yet they're delighted. They are so starved they're in absolute rapture over being served up dried dog food.

I know we talk about the Stockholm Syndrome -- it's been going on so long -- but still, its just staggering to see it sometimes.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 20, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hezzy posted:

looks like a mini convertible

which is actually quite a reasonably priced car

would've expected a BMW or porsche
That's not what's she's driving now-- that's from a local print news puff piece from several years ago, if memory serves...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 20, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

WebDog posted:

How old is she? Given she claims she's 22 In this 2005 article. So was she born in 1980 (as she claims on imdb) or 1983?
Derek will probably chime in with info. I personally have a guess but I just don't like speculating too much without solid data, and really, her potential misrepresenting of her age is a pretty minor offense in the grand scheme. It's probably the most sympathetic lie she would tell (because we all know Hollywood has no use for unknown female properties in their 30s or above.)

I will say that Sandi herself has created a biography so full of contradictions that, if nothing else, we should know better than to trust her as a reliable source. She lies about herself-- a lot-- and brags about herself just as much. How she reached this age-- whatever it is-- without learning that true confidence in self doesn't require perpetual acts of self-congratulation ("I'm currently reading LotR in French", "I train in MMO twice a week with a Six Dan Blackbelt", etc.), attention seeking (like dressing way too provacatively for work), misrepresentation of self (educational credentials / age / professional accomplishments) and alleged humiliation of subordinates (The Escapist accounts) is the bigger mystery to me.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Karl_Ramseier posted:

If this is real, you're the biggest idiot I ever came across. I can't stop laughing. But hey this raess guy in the forum tend to believe you, perhaps I should tell him about this new discovery.

Ok, let's get this straight:
A public picture is proof for you being an investor? That might be enough for DS, but not for me. Why don't you show us the signed contract? This shouldn't matter anyway after you identified yourself and acknowledged that Sandi is a racist motherfucking bitch.
He's already proven he's an investor-- the evidence is out there in official video and audio interviews from years back. If you'd take a few minutes from your busy schedule of posting as multiple asshats who defend Star Citizen against the indefensible, you could actually educate yourself.

Star Citizen is a scam. All he did was try to raise attention. But you made it personal; now we're at war. That's it in the wheelchair. Spaceships, Jpegs, ashes, etc.

THE END.

:gary: ------> "PAAAAAARRRP!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The Butthurt is Strong in this one...

quote:

"I get so much poo poo for being a fan of the game and it gets me so pissed off, constantly hearing poo poo like:

"you're an idiot"

"once an early access game, always an early access game"

"it's never going to get released"

"it's going to be pay to win"

"They're money hungry"

"They have too much money"

"Development has gone nowhere"

I'm seriously pissed off with it, I can't wait for CR to get this game finished so I can rub it in their loving face."
You mad bro?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

I like this one.
The entire thread is so full of gold.

quote:

[–]irstevePirate 1 point 33 minutes ago
I get as far as saying "Sta--" and they leave the room. :(

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Goonettes and Gentlegoons, in preparation for my last, final, Star Citizen video, I have one thing to ask of you.

Your screeching, nails-on-chalkboard, horrific, out-of-tune, dying cat, terrible singing voice.

Please turn your attention to this audio file, Guideline.mp3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7sfrtqzzblfdgw/Guideline.mp3?dl=0

See where I'm going?

Awhile ago in the Goonrathi forums I was going to put this together, during more optimistic times, but it got shelved. Now, I think it a fitting end to my involvement with Star Citizen.

If you would like to participate, please select a line from the lyrics below, record it in mp3 format, upload it to a dropbox, and post me the address to download.

If you do record a line, please include one chours and one 3x chourus.

Should you need a backing track, turn to this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfxyJZ0ry7k

This is gold, Bootcha-- but seriously, why so short? It really does seem like you could throw some extra stanzas in there and really make this the epic goodbye to the dream it deserves to be.

I'll still take a shot at this, though. You should post lyrics in so its easier for us to follow along.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Madcosby posted:

I hope Karl was right that bootcha isnt an investor. Investing a poo poo ton of cash then running errands for them makes me feel like they're comfy seeing how much they can take advantage of him. It's even sadder that Bootcha thinks a proper response to this is spending hours making songs about star citizen
That's crap. He's been making songs and videos about Star Citizen the whole time. Back when he was showing up at CIG Austin with gifts of free beer for the crew and volunteering stage work for CIG events.

The symbolic of a bittersweet goodbye to Star Citizen is priceless. It's sad only inasmuch as its sad to see how badly CIG has gone off course. I mean, it's GOT to be pretty bad if a private investor / former loyalist wants nothing more than to get the hell away from the biggest crowdfunding success in history.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 12, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"Ben, Chris and Sandi are all LAUGHING AT YOUR SILENCE, Derek!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Here's one of thousands of cringy moments in Star Citizen history while you all wait to be dazzled.

(sorry if it pops an ad. how sad that the biggest crowdfunded in history has to resort to the crap...)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

is this where they sing happy birthday to star citizen

thats my favorite thing they've ever done

There was the Sandi lightsaber piñata bit before "Sandi Goes to Flight School".

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 20, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Thanks, man. That one kills me for some reason.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Meonekton posted:

this is art
That's gold!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Got a few good voice clips for the requiem video. Keep 'em coming folks.

Oh, right. Forgot to check the thread weather.

DEREK POST SOMETHING
Did you post lyrics? Hook us up!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ash1138 posted:

So I've never actually watched any of the 10,000 video things they've done, but are scripted things like this common? I mean even a stupid high school video skit ends up being something like an hour of work for 1 minute of footage so if they do this crap all the time, how do they even get any work done?
The scripted stuff seems to have tapered off-- with the exception of the Empire Report. I think even Sandi figured out she was embarrassing herself with those short little scripted bits, so she decided to focus on higher quality, non Sci-Fi related material like this.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jnwm967wxm643v/Lyrics.txt?dl=0

Note: I have changed some of the third verse lyrics.

Awesome!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"Picking the Right Space Brothel"

We're just theorycrafting here people...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Let's talk Swedish Mafia.

quote:

"Indeed, Sweden has been pretty good at exporting its own, home-grown gangsters.

One of the first home-grown criminal networks to use mafia techniques such as threats and violence as a business concept was the Uppsala Mafia. Having started out by selling steroids at the gym, the gang eventually achieved worldwide notoriety after luring international companies into investing in Gizmondo, a company that built on the back of a handheld gaming console that barely reached the market.

In total, Gizmondo was drained of 1.6 billion kronor. The scam got international attention last year after Stefan Eriksson, one of the crew's top dogs, split his seven million kronor Ferrari Enzo in half, crashing into a telephone pole in Malibu, California while driving at 250 kilometres per hour."

Serious question: Is Derek dead or kidnapped? He was on the trail of new information in the hours leading up to his silencing. Promising to crack open the story with even more new information than we could handle...

This is all starting to get a little Dorothy Kilgallenish... Right when she was going to crack the big story...

• Locked thread