Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Decrepus posted:

When is gamegamer's con? Which will I assume be CIG's last chance at making a simple trailer before suffering a terrible collapse.

Gamescon is in August. Citizencon October. I would not be surprised if a huge number of people are being pulled off important dev work so they can all help crank out the the most fidelitous trailers in CIG's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"People who buy lots of spaceships aren't stupid..."
--- Ben Lesnick, Master of Spaceships

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Nemo2342 posted:

Seriously, I've never had any desire to play a CoD or Battlefield game before, but drat if that trailer hasn't made me consider giving this new one a try.

You're not the only one feeling this way...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Siva68 posted:

First, don't you have to have a product in order to have a soundtrack to it. Second, that case looks like loving amateur hour hobby time. Like someone pressed a lovely image on to tin.

Nice. The Alamogordo landfills will have some pretty nifty time capsules in place. Should make the unearthing events that take place 3 decades a real delight.

Way to think ahead, Sandi.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

REDDIT: CoD: Infinite Warfare is the 'Poor Man's Squadron 42'

quote:

"It seems they have done what was necessary to grab people's attention. I'm not convinced though. What I saw was an arcade style dumbed down version of Squadron 42. Or in more harsh words, the poor man's Squadron 42. Sure, it's different enough to be more appealing than the past many CoDs, but it's still going to be a wave based campaign with no real soul."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Goobs posted:

Woke up this AM and Kitsa was in visible pain, wouldn't move from his laying down position and wouldn't even eat his favorite treats. He was making a low growling sound every time he exhaled so we decided to take him in today.

Rest in peace Kitsa. My fuzzy bobble head friend. I'm a loving wreck right now.

Really sorry to hear that Goobs. :(

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

If I want to play Halo in Space with 12-year-olds, I'll wait for that. This is nothing but regular, poo poo COD mechanics with a spaceship-themed rail attached.

Exactly.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I made it on to 4200 with a Squadron 42 joke!

(And by joke I mean Squadron 42.)

Btw open that image on Imgur and see the full resolution version. I had to timg it otherwise it would've made the page huge... But it's amazing!)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 15, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

It's like stacking a 2016 game next to a 2005 game, and I think I'm being generous tbh. :)

It's like Oldman is looking at Bloom in abject horror, realizing only too late that he bet on the wrong Dogfighting With FPS In Space game...

(Open on imgur to see the full glory of that COD render-- it's incredible.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

GameInformer offers many, many pages of jaw dropping stills in the digital edition.

One detail from the article - there is a robot soldier and companion in the campaign. And I, for one, am excited about it.

GameInformer posted:

ETH.3n, or "Enhanced Tactical Humanoid 3rd Revision" is a robot soldier with speed, power and defenses that human troops just can't match. What separates him from the horders of retrofitted miner bots and other assault robots that the Settlement Defense Front has under its command is that he's one of a kind - a tactical solider bot programmed to have human responses and emotions to every situation. ETH.3n grows with the team and individually, even though he's not really accepted at first (especially by the old-school troopers like Omar.)

I expect he sacrifices his life for his fellow soldiers at the end of the campaign - Big Hero 6 style - and despite the trope-iness of it, millions of gamers will weep manly tears when that moment comes. Including you, you cynics.

You've been warned.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Streetroller posted:

My opinion of CIG is that they probably think they'd make more money as a studio developing a game rather than one who's developed one.
I see where it's going. Any company that pushes "shopping" and character customization this hard so soon is gunning to monetize it.
I imagine they're start selling clothing options and hair styles next, for a small fee of $1-5 dollars a piece. That's my "prediction"

It really has and had nothing to do with Goons, or Derek.
I'm just not being an idiot anymore.

I do hope you'll reconsider your opinions of Goons and Derek in all this. This may seem hard to believe but if you'd given us a chance a while ago, we really would have tried to help you earlier. You'd have seen that Goons and Derek were talking about in game clothing eventually being for sale for actual cash (along with a great deal more) over 2000 pages ago. We helped make the backer community aware of just how outrageous the Star Marine chronology of lies was. We were the ones who chased the plagiarism antics of Ryan Archer. We've unpacked literally dozens of big whoppers told by Ben, Chris or Sandi in official CIG videos. I could go on and on-- that's been a big part of what Derek and Goons have been all about.

I'm not try to rub salt in or anything - glad you did finally come to see Star Citizen for what it truly was. I guess I'm hoping you'll see us for what we really have been, too. Whatever our collective and individual faults, we really have tried to help backers out when they've joined here and sought it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Exposure posted:

Also I can't really blame Streetroller for not giving these 4000+ pages a chance at first because, well, 4000+ pages. (there should be like, a wiki dedicated to the dumb stuff CIG has done that easily summarizes this stuff. Or an updated OP.)
well yeah there's that...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Streetroller posted:

Don't worry about salt man, no one could possibly make me more upset than I already am over SC.
If you understood my poo poo, my life, I'm a fighter -- $3k is nothing to me in the face of broken principles, which is why I'm here to begin with.

Probably a little too altruistic for yall, to be honest lol.

Well, that may be true. I'm known for my viciousness and vindictiveness, and amongst such cruel and diabolical company, including even those wretched monsters :pgabz: and :eonwe:, that is saying something.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Acquilae posted:

lol call of duty is doing 90's sci-fi nostalgia better than crobbers

I saw an enthusiastic Redditor yesterday who said "I honestly thought I was watching a secret reveal of a brand-new Wing Commander reboot -- I couldn't believe it was a Call of Duty game but I'm excited!"

A new Wing Commander reboot-- brought to us by AAA Gaming.

If only Chris had thought of that first! If only he'd been given the time and money to realize such a bold idea!

Oh wait...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Never forget this one:

Hat tip: Tippis

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I looked up their last conference call out of curiosity a week or so ago. They were talking rather boldly about the prospects of the CIG partnership. Posted some of the transcripts on Discord.

quote:

Edward Ericsson
Okay. Do you have the date for the Star Citizen controllers?

Karen McGinnis
Yeah, the Star Citizen so that's more around the Star Citizen date and they will actually be doing a lot of the marketing for the hardware that we're doing that's licensed Star Citizen and so that’s going to be closer out to the holiday, but I don't know the exact date.

"Fortunately Squadron 42 sees release Q4 of this year and my gut says Star Citizen is done Q4 of 2017! (My gut is rarely wrong about these things!)" -- RSI Forums

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 15, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Agrajag posted:

Anybody else get the feeling the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare is giving Crobizzle the giant middle finger? Even boarding the fighter and launching thing seems to be Activision's way of saying, "we can do it better than you Mushmouth".
It's crossed my mind. That Citizens poster. The media tours have their key guys talking about immersion and fidelity. They're making a Wing Commander tribute.to end all tributes.

And there's the fact that ex-CIG people are working on it.

It's not a stretch to say Chris' arrogance has painted bullseyes all over him, nor is it one to say Infinite Warfare is, in a matter of months, going to kick one of the legs right from under his stool. He could throw $100M trying to reverse-engineer an FPS / Dogfighter / Hollywood Mo-Cap movie game to compete with Infinite Warfare but he'll never catch up. They're too good at what they do, too efficient, too fast.

I have read dozens of accounts from people sitting in that Sony Theater, watching the gameplay footage. The floor was electrified by it-- people genuinely excited by what they saw. The "Call of Duty" reveal at the end prompted real surprise. Some even wondered if it was that Star Citizen game they'd heard about. :lol:

Chris is small potatoes in the scheme of things, but I'd not be surprised if they take some shots. Just for the fun of it. We will know soon enough!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

If you want a vision of the purgatorial gaming experience that is Star Citizen, I invite you to watch Batgirl's latest episode, "Star Citizen AA MORE FUN IN THE PU"

So, early in the video she notes that she's running 2.4 on a machine that can run all other games in max settings with no difficulties whatsoever-- on her overclocked 970, i7 (I think), liquid cooler, etc... But of course her frame rates are terrible through much of this.

She decides she's going to earn some AlphaUEC by performing on the low-paying "let's go flip a switch inside a satellite array" mission...

She parks her ship an absurd distance from the array. Why? Because she's worried about being shot if she starts too close. If there's one thing Chris Roberts has taught players, it's fear of mortality. Death should have consequences-- and by 'consequences', Chris means teleportation back to a bed a bazillion pretend miles away, followed by indeterminable sprint-a-thons through generic sci-fi hallways so you can mash a button on an ATM machine for spaceships which you sprint through yet more hallways to hopefully board, followed by flying through a bazillion miles of pretend space so you can get back to where you were before that oh so consequential death occurred.

-----

8:45 - PARKING THE SHIP - Batgirl parks her ship in the space boonies and starts floating her way towards the array. Over the course of the float, she notes "I'm finding, the game... It's pretty much a boring game right now." Well, yeah. Parking your ship over two minutes away from a mission objective that is as fun as flipping on a light switch does seem a bit light on the thrill factor...

10:55 - ARRIVAL AT THE ENTRANCE - Finally, she's floated her way to the outside of the array. The mission begins!

11:25 - MISSION COMPLETE - Thirty seconds are spent floating through the bowels of the ship to flip the all important ON switch. Uplink online! 1000 credits earned!

11:59 - ESCAPE! - After some frightening encounters with giant pipes and a non-fatal bonk on the noggin, she's finally FREE!

13:39 - RETURN TO THE SHIP - She is back in business, 1000 temporary credits richer!

------

Now, lets ignore the fact that she repeats the mission at other arrays, and fast forward to yet another moment of such absolute absurdity that it must be watched to be fully appreciated.

21:51- THIS PART SAYS EVERYTHING - "In real life, I'm freaking awesome at landing an airplane! But I can't land a spaceship to save my frickin' life!"

Now, you can watch the whole thing from the link above if you want, but if you want to get to the final indignity she endures for the sake of the game she clearly loves, watch her make her final attempt at landing.

36:32 - TOUCHDOWN! - What else do you need to know about this game?

She spent 40 minutes playing and, so far as I can tell, earned 3000 temporary credits. (Please correct me if I'm wrong- I wasn't watching THAT closely.) A fun exercise would be digging into the 2.4 stores and seeing what that 40 minutes of play time earned her.

More fun in the PU, indeed!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 16, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

FACEPUNCH: Star Citizen is... quite frankly a clunky turd.

Facepunch posted:

The thing that separates COD is how fluid it is. It blows what we have seen from Star Citizen out of the water. It may just be a linear/pseudo-open game like Crysis, but its presentation is phenomenal.

Examine Star Citizen (as is) closely and it is quite frankly a clunky turd. Movement is awkward, ships are clumsily designed, animations are overblown, gunplay is crap, and the pacing is completely schizophrenic; it takes an eternity to open a door, but ships die in an instant under enemy fire. None of this applies to what we've seen from COD. I am aware that CGI are working to rectify some of these issues, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Someone made a very good post on reddit about this. If CGI wants Squadron 42 to truly shine, they will need to step up their game because they're no longer operating in a competition vacuum.

Ummmm... Yeah?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Persistence is futile.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Around the Verse: The "What the hell is wrong?" Edition

I have watched a great many episodes of this show - dutifully, more often than not.

Something appears to be seriously wrong in LA. There is a palpable nervousness as opposed to the usual awkwardness.

Not joking.

---

On a happier note, female models are finally coming!

Looks like they have a ways to go to catch up with Second Life but baby steps...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

REDDIT: Please CIG- beg, steal and borrow

quote:

I've been a fan since way back. Wing Commander. Privateer. I love your vision, and I'm hundreds and hundreds of dollars invested. You're doing something so novel that each facet doesn't need to be perfect. Just really solid. Don't let perfectionism jeopardize the whole enterprise.

That said.

Please. Please, please, please don't be too proud to take polished, solid concepts from other games if it will dramatically reduce the workload.

(Continued at link above)

REDDIT: Reminder - this game is supposed to suck right now

quote:

Friendly reminder to everyone pre-alpha testing this game. You are supposed to have the following happen to you.

Frustration , Anger, Happiness, Sadness, Irritation, Excitement, Joy, Laughter, Sillyness,

In one form or another we have all experienced all of the feelings above while alpha testing Star Citizen. This experience we're all experiencing is actually supposed to really suck. You ship is going to bug out, your character is supposed to fall through ships. The list goes on, eventually all of these things go away and the game leaves more of the positive emotions I've laid out above.

We all need to read a post like this from time to time. We need to understand that a lot of the time this will be a rough road ahead.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Cheers

Yes, hang in there guys. At this rate, in only a few more years we will be nearing the end*!

* of pre-alpha stage only

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Chris just may get Squadron 42 by the end of the year after all!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 17, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Looks small. Will the SC horse fit?
It's funny you should ask...

In a cosmic irony, the racehorse in question apparently raced in competition yesterday, finishing 7th out of 8th.

Sprint Race analyst Eric Winner offered this summary assessment:

quote:

Thursday, 16 June 2016

8:45 Ayr Winning Racing Tips (17th June)
TENNENT´S HANDICAP (CLASS 3) (3yo+ 0-95)

1—Gamesome likes to track leaders, second top rated, may need further.
2—Cornwallville may find this too short and also prefer a slower going.
3—Above The Rest may want slower ground and also a longer distance.
4—Fast Act poor recent form either be held up or track leaders.
5—Hawkeyethenoo a veteran who has been quite slow recently.
6—Intisaab can be held up or track leaders and its best was time recorded at this course and distance.
7—Star Citizen another may need slower going and longer trip.
8—Duke Cosimo won last time out raised five pounds only third top-rated now.

:vince:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 17, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Confidence in project fully restored!

I'd write more, but I'm off to buy a spacebike IOU!

No, at this price, I'll take TWO!

Oh hell, I'll throw the Caterpillar in as well for the bundled LTI!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

VENTUREBEAT: Infinity Ward talks in detail about space dogfighting mechanics and rewards, along with the benefits of going 'behind enemy lines' on side missions.

VentureBeat posted:

GamesBeat: What’s the benefit of doing side missions?

Minkoff: You get both narrative and mechanical benefits. Side missions give you additional weaponry, equipment upgrades, cosmetic upgrades, general progression stuff. They also get you enemy intel that helps you target enemy forces better. There’s more world-building, too. Some of the missions are more stealthy, where you’ll go behind enemy lines and hear their commanders talking talking about their plans. Those are very intense. You overhear a lot of conversations.

Side missions involve spending more time with your crew as well. It fleshes out the story and the characters while also providing mechanical rewards.

quote:

GamesBeat: Flying the ship seems like an extension of the on-ground Call of Duty controls.

Minkoff: In atmosphere you need lift to keep going forward. That’s why you get that Top Gun ace feeling of constantly moving forward. But in space, in a vacuum, you have RCS thrusters. Because you don’t have to worry about losing lift, you basically have strafe controls.

What we did with the Jackal—whenever you’re pressing forward you have Top Gun-style flight controls. But the moment you pull back and brake, then you have RCS controls. You can just strafe up and down or left and right. It’s full parity with what you can do on the ground. Sprint becomes boost. Crouch becomes down. Jump is up. You’re circle-strafing around that destroyer. The slower the enemy is – those destroyers move slowly compared to the Skeletons, which are fast – that inherently makes you use one control scheme or another.

"Sounds too fun and intuitive. I like space games with flight controls so complex even real life pilots struggle with... Will pass and leave that for the little kids." :smug:

No, really- day one purchase for me. Secret side missions behind enemy lines for intel, better crew bonding, and better weapon unlocks and stuff? Sounds a lot more fun than trying to find all 18 of the Rorke files in Ghosts...

(Full article here.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 19, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"If nothing else, this move by CIG showed they still control the narrative..."

Interesting to be reassuring each other about narrative control. Of course, they're eager to prop up the crumbling false dichotomy narrative of Derek Smart as source rather than relayer of CIG's problems...

G0RF posted:

OLD NARRATIVES HAVE BECOME STRUCTURALLY UNSOUND

None of the old defenses -- "it's pre-alpha!", "you know nothing about game development!", "Derek Shart is a terrible developer!" -- have the power to hold back the hands of superior competitors with finely honed visions, boundaries they want to push, stories they long to tell, experiences they're dying to deliver, franchises they're hoping to establish or redeem, and marketing muscle to push it all out when they're finished.

They will prove they could do more with less, and faster, and will reap the spoils (i.e. profits) of their superior focus, discipline and creative vision. The false narrative of Publisher constraints on creative visions will be laid bare for all to scoff at-- because the unconstrained vision and budget of one hubristic indie developer has managed with such enormous fanfare to produce so very little worthy of praise.

Fidelity and immersion are in the eyes of the beholder, yet there is no better way - short of VR headsets - to immerse players into a game than by creating a game so wondrous and compelling that they can not bear to leave it. Headset bobs are no substitute for compelling game mechanics. Five stages of player acceleration are no replacement for thrilling opportunities to explore wondrous worlds. Fixed entry and exit animations can't compensate for derivative lore with no compelling objectives.

I think E3 will be a very consequential event this year-- one that sees the old "Star Citizen will be the best drat space sim ever" narrative starting to crumble in the eyes of John S. Citizen. How can it not? There is too much territorial overlap to pretend these games aren't competing for the same customers, the same mindshare, the same critics, the same dollars.

With the old narratives of assumed supremacy crumbling, new ones will have to be fashioned to replace them. The old ones will be demolished by the competition -- and the new ones will have to explain how that could possibly happen to the player who had the earliest head start, the most money, the least constraints...

How, indeed.

CIG has lost control of their narrative. A new more accurate one will be affixed to them - and indeed already is. A successful desperation sale or signs of continued progress on one out of dozens of overdue spaceships is a symptomatic of their bigger problems, not indicative of their pending triumph.

This is their problem.

Consider just what CIG has to achieve before year end for their original current narrative to remain credible. They have to deliver Squadron 42 and it needs to hold its own against Infinite Warfare.

In fact, for the triumphalist narrative of CIG to be preserved, it needs to live up to some quite hefty claims by CIG personnel:

If anyone finds the above provocative, ask yourself why? Goons didn't put those words in CIG's mouth. Derek didn't either.

These are they're own declarations of superiority. These are their words.

These are the foundations of their triumphalist narrative. If Squadron 42 fails to release this year-- once again missing a stated launch date for the third year, and a AAA studio releases a game even Ben Lesnick referred to as a modern day realization of Wing Commander, the old Heroic Narrative of CIG has been demolished and a Tragicomic one has replaced it.

Anyone who hasn't yet braced themselves for the obvious needs to spend some time outside of their echo chambers. Those who think Narrative Control is a tug of war between Derek and Chris or goons and megawhales presume too much and too little at once.

You aren't raindancers ritualistically controlling the whims of mother nature. We're weathermen. The barometric pressure is in free fall, the tide is coming in eight feet higher than usual, and the skyline is a wall of darkness and lightning. Grey skies aren't going to clear up whether you put on a happy face or not.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 19, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A citizen who woke from a fever dream of endless ship buying binges posted:

It’s been two years since I bought anything in Star Citizen. I have eight mighty vessels in my hangar, though it’s been a long time since I walked around them at 20fps having a perve. I read about more movie stars filming cut scenes for the standalone game Squadron 42, that few Star Citizens actually seem to care about, and I wonder when I can sail the voids of deep space. I’ve been pondering selling my account and starting from scratch with a single lovely ship and actually earning a new fleet within the game – you know – the beautiful idea most of us got hooked into in the first place for.

Have I got a game for you, friend!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 20, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

GAMESPOT: Star Citizen 2.4 Screenshots - Bow to the future GFX king!

Star Citizen fan tries to start a hype train; gets derailed.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 20, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Everything she describes at the 4:10 mark is fictive.

Pirate ship attacks where you and your crew launch up to 14 Dragonflies from your Caterpillar, swarming another ship en masse so you can steal their loot, then turn around and sell it on Nyx?

We know you love the game and all (and that's fine) but please describe it as it is, not as you dream it will be one day.

Even when the Dragonflies and Caterpillar's eventually get added to the game, there's no loot. There's no Nyx. There's no selling the former to the latter. There aren't likely to be stable instances to support the player counts implied.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

I'm sure CIG will destroy CoD:IW at GamesCom :D
^^^
This. All of it.

Just ignore this:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Inkel posted:

I like how usually he's just allowed to ramble on about nonsense for minutes at a time, but when you get to the E3 portion and he mentioned CoD: IW and ME, there are very noticeable jump cuts when he starts saying what he liked about them.
Yeah that really did stand out. Gotta wonder what was on the cutting room floor. They made the right choice, touching briefly on it but only so. To ignore it would've been conspicuous but given his tendency to claim superiority to pretty much everybody, it's easy to imagine some ill-chosen words...

Of course, maybe he just passed out for fear at each mention and had to be revived after each game got mentioned?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bubbacub posted:

I looked up CIG forum posts after the Gary Oldman trailer came out, and a lot of them were surprisingly critical of how bad it looked. Then somebody had this gem of a response:

croberts = Picasso

That would explain a lot, actually!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Is ‘feature creep’ a worry? Sure… it’s always a worry, and we are well aware of it. However, building the game to the stretch goals embraced and endorsed by the community is not feature creep! We made the decision to stop stretch goals at the end of last year. That was a hard choice to abandon one of the central tenets of crowd funding projects, the idea that the sky is the limit… but it’s one we felt we had to make for the better of the game. Today, we have a radical design that’s like nothing else in the industry and we’re building towards it every hour of every day. We count on the community’s continued support to build the game to the high level that we set out to accomplish. Allowing independent authors to do more is the point of crowd funding, and going beyond our limitations is the entire point of Star Citizen.

Occasionally I see comments out there from people who haven’t taken the time to watch the thousands of YouTube videos of people running around their ships and hangars or dogfighting in space, or visit our site to read the vast amount of information we make publicly available that call us vaporware or a glorified tech demo. Arena Commander, which is still evolving, is a better looking and playing game than a lot of finished games out there. We are maintaining a live game and building one all at the same time. It’s harder than just developing, as most companies that run online games will tell you, but it’s worth it, both to ensure you get to experience features as soon as they are ready and to make a better game in the long run.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The New Narrative CIG Should Be Afraid of posted:

Despite a big fuss being made over Activision not having a booth at E3 2016, the savvier among us recognized that this didn’t mean that they wouldn’t be present at all. Activision was around, of course, and they were set up in their own set of meeting rooms with demo reels for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Skylanders: Imaginators, both of which I dropped by to check out.

A publisher with the kind of financial muscle and industry influence that Activision can bring to bear doesn’t play around with its biggest franchises, and we saw that in full force here. Activision may not have had a regular booth at E3, but they were certainly there, in force.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare turned out to be one of the biggest surprises for me at E3 2016. Yes, I know, it’s Call of Duty; how could that be surprising at all? It turns out that with Infinite Warfare, Activision might actually be taking the series in a new and fascinating direction, something like a more action-based Mass Effect.

The demo opened with your standard Call of Duty run-and-gunning. It’s the sci-fi flavor of Call of Duty run-and-gunning this time around, as we’ve seen in the past few games since Advanced Warfare. Before long, though, gruff military hero Captain Reyes calls in his ship, the Jackal, and takes off into space for some Star Wars-style dogfighting. The action flows smoothly in and out of the ship, with Reyes embarking and disembarking as the situation demands; we watch as he infiltrates an enemy ship by landing nearby, blasting open the bridge windows and swooping in, for instance.

Later in the trailer, we find that Reyes commands his own larger ship. Much like Mass Effect, this comes with a starmap that can be used to determine your next location. Yes, insofar as I could tell based on a non-playable vertical slice, it looks like this is going to be a Call of Duty with open-world elements where you can decide for yourself where to go and what missions to take on next. That just might be what it takes to give this franchise a new level of depth…but is the Call of Duty name going to scare off gamers who are looking for that kind of depth?

Either way, you can guarantee that Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is going to sell like gangbusters when it drops on November 4th. What’s more, as a space-themed game it’s intruding on a space – pun intended – that’s gradually becoming more and more crowded thanks to the return of the Star Wars film franchise and the runaway success of Star Citizen’s neverending crowdfunding campaign. Comparisons are already being made between Infinite Warfare and Star Citizen’s single-player facet known as Squadron 42, where the latter is a story all its own – it was originally intended to be at E3 before Cloud Imperium Games pulled out at the last second, raising all kinds of uncomfortable questions about where the endless stream of crowdfunded money is going. We might end up seeing a battle between the Big Evil Publishers ™ and the Small Scrappy Indies ™, and what’s going to happen if the evil publishers deliver a better product?

----

THE GOOD NEWS & THE BAD NEWS

The good news for CIG is that this very sharp write-up appeared on a low-traffic site of no particular influence.

The bad news is that the narrative posited in the closing paragraph is so now incredibly obvious and irresistible that it will surely have occurred to more than just rogue outlier bloggers and our present gathering of Star Citizen analysts, satirists and prognostications.

There is no narrative more explosive and dangerous, more fraught with the potential to lead to an overnight reversal of fortune than this. Unfortunately for Chris, the Gaming Press, for all their storied timidity, has an especially cozy relationship with the AAA Publisher & Gaming Development Complex. They are, generally speaking, supplicants of industry, their existence largely derived from the largesse of AAA advertising budgets.

There need be no direct order, broadcast by shadowy cabals in smoke-filled rooms, to destroy anything or anyone. It is the notion itself, so ironic and unexpected yet so right-sounding, that has the power to completely dismantle the central organizing principle of Star Citizen itself. If this same conclusion is declared by a major outlet like the increasingly prickly Polygon, it will spread like wildfire through the tributary gaming outlets and REMAIN. And it isn't really a question of "if" but "when" -- because the promotional drumbeat for Infinite Warfare is beating, beating, beating and it will not stop, it will only grow faster and louder in the months leading up to their November launch.

The burden has never been so great for Chris Roberts to prove the distinct competitive merits of this unprecedented experiment in consumer-funded, publisher-free, creator-centric game development. Yet so far as we can see, he's never been less prepared to do that.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 22, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Kosumo posted:

I'm 8 pages in the past and have skip some to be there ..... is there any Gorf "What's been happening in the House of the Dying Fun" updates? (what page - they are great)

Hey-- it's been a while since I've done a summary update of The State of the Game. Sorry about that-- I'm actually a bit behind on that, myself.

I've been working on some E3-related write-ups because there is so much there to unpack. Hope to have something out by tomorrow. It won't be a broad overview this time but hopefully will be illuminating for some. (I know I learned some things putting it together.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Objects in brochure are further than they appear...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

illectro posted:

I know the celebrity cast of SQ42 has more than a few performers from Game If Thrones, by coincidence CoD Infinite is showing off Kit Harrington doing mocap for their shooter.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/06/23/first-official-look-at-game-of-thrones-actor-filming-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare

No doubt inspired by sq42's inclusion of Yara and Davos

One can only imagine the Croberts rage when that news crossed his desk.

Infinite Warfare seems in nearly every way imaginable reverse-engineered from the value proposition of Squadron 42. Each one a clear descendent of Wing Commander-- one from the original creator, the other from AAA Gaming.

I wonder which will be the better game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Gee Angel
By Sugar

Bought a set of wings that I couldn't use
Bought them in a store on the avenue
Didn't mean to spend all the cash I had
The second that I saw them, I wanted them bad

When I got home and I tried them on
I noticed that the wingspan was way too long
Couldn't take them back, there was no return
I should have gotten more, I was feeling burned

"Gee angel, won't you take these back?
Gee angel, gee angel, I need some slack
There's nothing in this world that I'd rather do
Than buy a set of wings and fly away with you."

Climbed up the mountain, toured the view
The angel wouldn't say what I had to do
Then angel flew away and left me standing there
I knew I couldn't fly, but I didn't care.

"Gee angel, won't you take these back?
Gee angel, gee angel, I need some slack
There's nothing in this world that I'd rather do
I bought a set of wings just to be with you."

----

Out of curiosity, I opened the "Imagine" video, hit mute, and then played the song and the video at the same time. It produced some magic moments. Would recommend.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 24, 2016

• Locked thread