Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Can we get a list of all the people who've been fired or quit in the last 6 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Executive Producer Eric Peterson

Executive Producer Alex Mayberry

Associate Producer Travis Day

Concierge Customer support Chelsea Day

Community Manager James Pugh

Associate Marketing Producer Alyssa Delhotal

Production Coordinator Lisa Ohanian

DevOps Engineer Jeffrey Parker

Lead Character Artist David Jennison

Senior Gameplay Programmer Tom Davis

Senior 3D Artist Paul Forgy

Lead Technical Designer Dan Tracy

*The entire F42 character design team*

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Reality has a well-known anti star citizen bias.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Seriously the number of downvotes for that initial post is just silly. What about it is factually inaccurate? People keep saying that other companies have similar turnover- I'd really like to see them point out a few. The only one I can think of in the last year with departures in the realm of CIG was Sony Online Entertainment, right before they got sold to the Russian mob.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Last we checked, 147 people had come and gone. Right now, aside from Dan leaving, I am sitting on 7 high profile names which I can't make public until they do (e.g. LinkedIn). Most have already found work already and just waiting out the holiday season.

Wow. Well, good on you for letting them announce it first. In the context of a big development company, how normal is this? I mean I work in a development office with about 30 full time people and we see maybe two turn over in a year, but I imagine it would increase at a greater than linear rate as the office got bigger.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Grinning Goblin posted:

So...the big takeaway from these threads is that I should buy the biggest star citizen ship bundles as soon as I can because I will otherwise regret it later, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLANLzerfa0

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is there a quick 'what the gently caress is going on' primer somewhere? Because seriously what the gently caress is going on?

Like, there was gonna be a spaceship game and now everyone's pissed off?

I don't think I've ever summarized before so here goes:

A month or two ago Derek Smart showed up with a bunch of allegations about mismanagement and poo poo going down at the highest levels of CIG. The project was already on shaky ground around here due to missing every single projected date and essentially running in continual fund raising mode for 3 years, picking up 90 million with nothing to show for it. Over the course of the next month, basically everything that DS alleged that could be proven, was proven, mostly relating to firings and internal behavior. CIG's responses grew increasingly weird and erratic. They went from ignoring him to banning/refunding him to summarily firing "Traitors" to threatening a journalist who covered some of this with legal action. Not making this up. His campaign did get them to begrudgingly open up the refund gates though, and everyone in this thread who still had any money in the game promptly got it out. This all culminated in a ludicrous "Citizen Con" event where they basically got up on stage and revealed that they had gently caress-all to show for the last year's worth of development- then Chris Roberts spit on a cake, cut it up and served it to people while the attendees sang happy birthday. Still not making this up.

Along the way there have been several sideshows involving people posting recipes, an insane bitcoin-rich pedophile who keeps buying accounts and avatars to "Troll" with, another spacerich guy who likes to send ship packages and pictures of his penis to women, the increasingly reality-detached star citizen subreddit, and DS himself taking all comers in a no holds barred twitter slap fight.

Oh also a numbers account tweeted a link to Derek Smart that lead him to discover a number of highly-placed people at Foundry 42 were formerly part of the Gizmondo catastrophe and may or may not be involved with the Swedish mafia. Still not making it up.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wow, this thread went to a dark place. Let's bring it back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3qiny8/what_happened_to_this_mod_udolvak/

Dolvak posted:

Hey you can go relay this to SA for me. Here is the thing. I have decided the mature thing to do is to move on from drama and not give it the time of day. I flat out don't care anymore. I don't be following it and I won't be contributing. I'm done, out of the game. The fact you noticed me deleting my comment history shows I made the right choice. You already know my full name and that is creepy in itself but whatever I embrace it. Do what you will but leave me out of it. Some will most likely attempt to provoke me into getting back into the brawl and I am not going to respond. This is it out of me. No more focusing on stupid drama, I am going to keep working with my head held high to interact with my favorite community on the internet.

peace (literally, leave me be please)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The number of people in that thread who just can't believe that Derek Smart would do something as hosed up as doxxing someone who religiously posts on their hate sub dedicated to poo poo talking and stalking him loving owns.

tooterfish posted:

Seriously, stop cyberbullying the guys who try to cyberbully you Derek, you big loving meanie.

It's not funny to defend this even ironically.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

gently caress's sake guys. It is not okay to post a child's actual personal information online to incite bullying. No, it does not matter if they started it. No, it does not matter if the dumb little bastard made it easily available. Whether or not they are crippled is irrelevant. They are a child. Are you a child?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Skoll posted:

Um.. He's a legal adult actually. Try again.

xanif posted:

He's not a child. Since when is 19 a child?

Oh I thought from the photo in the newspaper article that he was like 14. Disregard my posts I am an idiot

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

doctor iono posted:

so the layoffs went through?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3quxzw/restructuring_layoffs_taking_place_today_in/

some woman named megan is leaving? among others?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3quxzw/restructuring_layoffs_taking_place_today_in/cwijrlx

One of you posted:

Executive Producer Eric Peterson leaves - Just didn't want to change locations! Simple as that.

Executive Producer Alex Mayberry leaves - People change jobs! Fact of life!

Associate Producer Travis Day leaves - It's fine! Everything is fine!

Concierge Customer support Chelsea Day leaves - Well naturally she wanted to go work with him! That's normal!

Community Manager James Pugh leaves - Turnover is a regular occurrence at major development studios!

Associate Marketing Producer Alyssa Delhotal leaves - Just a- just a normal set of coincidences!

Production Coordinator Lisa Ohanian leaves - Probably just wasn't very good at the job!

The entire Foundry 42 character design team quits - Couldn't keep up with Chris's vision!

DevOps Engineer Jeffrey Parker/ Lead Character Artist David Jennison/Senior Gameplay Programmer Tom Davis/Senior 3D Artist Paul Forgy leave on the same day - Just right-sizing the company!

Lead Technical Designer Dan Tracy leaves - I SAID EVERYTHING IS FINE

Austin Team gets laid off exactly as predicted, months ago, but denied by CIG - WHY ARE YOU SPEWING GARBAGE DON'T BE A SENSATIONALIST

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

INN posted:

While the stream is on, we will be liveblogging it. Once the stream is done, we will update the page to include a full text summary of the liveblog.

TRANSCRIPT BY ERRIS, CANADIANSYRUP IN PROGRESS

CIG have started the stream early to... host Bob Ross painting happy clouds and things.

Disco Lando just appeared for a second, then disappeared. Back to Bob Ross!

Bob is currently painting a tree, doing the leaves, looks like a very nice early fall tree, greens, yellows, browns. He's switching over to a large brush now, painting in brown and umber, dropping in what looks to be a bush.

Putting a few little trunks into the bush, now going back to yellow, to add in some colour to the bush. Looks quite pretty.

Ok, I'll stop liveblogging Bob Ross now, and wait for the RtV stream to start.

Ok, who am I kidding, this is too engrossing not to liveblog. Bob's moving onto a new painting; he's got a canvass that's got a coat of blue and green, and now he's just painting in some white very loosely.

Bob's telling us to have fun, let things happen, and isn't that just a good lesson for life itself, not just painting.

'These are your woods, so whatever you want in there' I want a Hornet in there. Can we have a Hornet in the woods?

The forest is slowly filling up, trees taking the spaces where the ligt isn't, filtering out the blackness from the white beyond.

Also Disco's occasionally throwing up some of the random SC pre-stream images, then going immediately back to Bob Ross.

Bob is currently waxing philosophical about what noise a carrot makes, while he adds little tiny branches to trees.

The painting gives the impression right now of woods at dusk, a tiny bit of moonlight drifting in between the branches.

The painting gives the impression right now of woods at dusk, a tiny bit of moonlight drifting in between the branches.

And then there was a Disco Lando staring at the screen, and he's gone again. Back to Bob! Part of me wonders if we'll just watch Bob all day, skip RtV entirely. Part of me wouldn't object.

Bob's starting to fill in the mid-ground now. The trees that are there, they sit in the back, lonely and distant. The yellow meadow he's filling in now gives a lustre of life to the painting, bring it closer, more personal.

Bob said 'let there be light', and he mixed some red, blue, and white paint together, starting touching the trees to brighten them, and lo, there was light.

A few touches of light,a nd the painting has transformed from a midnight scene to an early morning view. Bob's adding in more small details, more limbs for the trees.

Bob's blending in the yellow and ochre along the grass, giving them flavour and colour without brightening them too much.

Bob's going to put a nice house in the background now; a house he'd like to live in, so he could sit outside the house, talking to the little white rabbit that lives deep in the forest.

They can't even be assed to show up to their livestream.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

drkeiscool posted:

Wait, the SC livestream ran Bob Ross reruns?

They are literally doing it right now: http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Edit: Aw they stopped. How appropriate that the video of a man endlessly painting pictures is replaced by a splash screen that just says "SOON."

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 30, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3qvano/lots_of_work_on_20_theyre_content_complete_just/

A Person posted:

Lots of work on 2.0, they're content complete, just bug fixing and polishing now.

I feel like I've heard this before...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Eonwe posted:

i guess i dont really get what is good about giving an aggregated group of people power to control what comments people see

isnt it just easy to have sequential comments with a number attached to them showing what people thought of the comment

that way you could still see if the hivemind hated it or not, but at least it would be there as part of the discussion

Well I think it's nice if you want to see the most interesting contributions and filter out the shitposting. But it is subject to pretty extreme manipulation.

It's good for casual browsing but terrible for actually watching a conversation take place.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nickiepoo posted:

So I guess it's only good for the most cookie cutter bullshit that literally everyone will agree on because otherwise whichever side has more people browsing will just suppress the other point of view.

It's a good news aggregator for small communities but once you get over a couple thousand subscribers to a subreddit, yeah, it goes to poo poo pretty quickly.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

HexDog posted:

Apparently 2.0 is "content complete" and will be released shortly. We are gonna feel real stupid when it's fun and super cool and reddit was right all along.

So content complete that they haven't been able to produce the "Media Version" of that singleplayer tutorial video they promised weeks ago. So content complete that we haven't seen anything about it except for some screenshots that basically were just stills from the video demo. So content complete that their two-live-shows-a-week continue to show photoshopped concept art and lighting passes instead of the game. Two weeks. Two more weeks. Just... just two weeks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Neurotic Jew posted:

like when I try to find out about alpha 2.0 on the CIG website I get a lot of aspie technical information about precision thrusters or something, and a 20 minute video of monotone pasty people talking about who knows.

Alpha 2.0 should be the thing they keep showing the videos about- the ones where a bunch of people jump in a ship and fly around to do missions. But I'm willing to bet nothing like that will be coming to the PTU any time this year.

Here, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zTVVG-WF4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

2.0 isn't going to have anything because it's never coming out

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3r6xkx/20_release_to_ptu_probably_this_week/

Even the redditors don't believe it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Octopode posted:

So, are you saying that if it is possible, in the game, to engage in a shootout with other players/AI, that somehow doesn't count as FPS game play because it's not in its own game mode with rules, scorekeeping, and the like; or are you saying that it will not be possible to engage in shooting things from first person whatsoever in the initial 2.0 release? Your sticking point over the specifics of the wording "FPS game play" makes your claim a bit confusing.

So, are you saying that if it is possible to move and shoot a gun, nothing else, you will declare the FPS feature-complete as promised and on time?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I don't expect 2.0 to come out at all, rumblings from CIG to the contrary. There's no way they are getting it into a playable state before Christmas.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

People saying it's going to come out soon- what are you basing that on? Seems like all they've done is show some more demo vids, but I mean... they showed demo vids of a fully working FPS game last year, so we know that's not a real indication of anything. All I've seen other than that is that "Ten days" CS ticket (which is an odd loving way to leak the information).

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay yeah that's actually pretty funny. "ATTENTION PRESS: Big changes coming, soon. What are they? Well... ships will fly somewhat differently. No screenshots, no dates. Many developers died to bring you this information, please respect it."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

See, all of you thinking Derek had run off with our spaceship donations- he's easily more reliable than Croberts. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, the grey market will never know what hit it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Seriously this thread has broken my irony detector. I legitimately cannot tell anymore if seriousposts are serious or if they are goons holding pretend-stupid positions for the sake of getting a rise out of people.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BastionPete posted:

UK, why?
Who's Karl? Is that Accelewraith? But yeah, I thought I'd say my peace from day one, get it all off my chest and then back to normality right?

Hello, person reading the thread closely enough to have an opinion on image bombing but who doesn't know who Karl is after the last couple of days.

Friendly advice- if you were in fact gullible enough to actually buy an account and platinum upgrade on the basis of the fake spoiler-tag joke, you might want to consider whether or not your critical thinking ability and bullshit filter are really up to the task of posting in this thread.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

World of Warcrap

Star poo pooizen

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chris: I'll answer the question. You want answers?

Lieutenant Derek: I think I'm entitled to them.

Chris: You want answers?!

Lieutenant Derek: I want the truth!

Chris: You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has games, and those games have to be developed by men with vision. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Derek? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Star Citizen, and you curse the white knights. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Star Citizen's death, while tragic, probably made money; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes money.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that game-- you need me on that game.

We use words like "honor," "pledge," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent paying for something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very fandom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a drat what you think you're entitled to!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

They latch on to stupid loving phrases like "Content Complete" and then use them to justify all expressions of faith from then on without ever taking the time to parse out what was actually meant.

I mean the very fact that they are building a new office should indicate to people that CIG is nowhere near a release of this game. Why would you jump to a new office if you were less than a year away from finishing your product? Also, I don't get all the people trying to justify it by saying "Oh they have too many people for the old office." Has anyone seen any indication that they have been hiring? The only news in the last three months has been one firing after another! None of it makes any sense, none of it stands up to the slightest scrutiny.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sappo569 posted:

Someone else mentioned the old benchmark software, and it's pretty apt for this video as well

Everything looks pre-rendered, scripted, and the camera lingers JUST long enough, usually on a stationary scene, and then it cuts away again

I get the feeling the camera stuck around for 10-15 seconds on one spot you'd see all the horrible 'engine trying to pull itself apart' jankyness that we've come to expect

Not even that amount of time. Shot-by-shot:

0:15- engines on retaliator are in "Landed" position. This isn't even the flight model, just the hangar model stuck in space.

0:20- the "Emergency" textures on the floor constantly disappear and reappear

0:25- the escape pod clearly clips through the hull of the ship in multiple locations. Explosion is the generic FPS grenade effect.

0:49- Planet is clearly the textured circle from the Broken moon map, does not even appear spherical. Terrain is a bunch of random noise garbage.

1:13- Avenger appears to have been cut out of another shot and superimposed over planet- there's a weird thick black outline around the ship as it flies.

Every single aspect of the video is slipshod and poorly constructed hack work.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

jaegerx posted:

Karl come back to us. Explain the mocap studio. You're better than the confirmed kiddy diddler seraph84.

My favorite part of this dumpster fire is the white knights who show up to defend the game for a week or two, only to be consistently and completely undermined by CIG's own actions. We don't even have to do anything- just sit around and watch them post increasingly desperate justifications for increasingly ludicrous waste, followed by defeated silence as they realize it was never us they were arguing against- it was themselves.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

neonbregna posted:

Who are twin bros?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3rsqze/is_that_sandi_starring_in_a_new_web_series_i/

Dolvak posted:

Not related to starcitizen. Removed.

people have lives man.

Well he's right, that it isn't in any way related to Star Citizen.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pierson posted:

:siren: Vox Day is a literal neo-fascist :siren: who believes black people are subhuman, women should not have the vote and that it's totally fine to throw acid at feminists to protect traditional values. Gay people are a genetic mistake that should be cleansed and the Taliban were correct to shoot Malala in the face.

:siren: Vox Day is a literal neo-fascist. :siren: If you search for even a small amount of time you will probably be able to find someone with exactly the same opinions and level of intelligence as him without the insane all-consuming baggage of awful garbage or toxic community that gathers around him.

:siren: Vox Day is a literal neo-fascist. :siren: Who gives a gently caress what side he's on in the internet spaceship debate because the correct answer is 'the airless side of a real-life airlock'.

Okay so I haven't been paying attention to this GG stuff aside from occasionally cruising by the slap-fight on /r/KIA but I kind of assumed the Vox Day stuff was the usual exaggerated bashing of a person who disagrees about video games. I decided to read some of these for myself rather than just take your word for it- wow. Those are his actual opinions.

Derek you probably should not go on his show.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey let's talk about Star Citizen!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15045-Weekly-Development-Update
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15043-Monthly-Studio-Report

I skimmed both of these looking for new shots or footage from Alpha 2.0. Credit where it is due- the ship UI update video is pretty cool and a lot closer to what I thought they should work like. Can't help but note that it doesn't appear to be actually integrated into a functioning version of the engine though.

Everything else is the usual "We're very busy on this thing, no release dates" and all the shots/videos are from the Con. It's really very hard to tell if any progress has actually been made at all or if we're still half a year from seeing a PU demo.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Raskolnikov posted:

Status update:

Status update: working hard on the poop. Poop any day now. 100% red-alert all hands on deck full department crunch time defcon 0 poop development begins now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ponzi and Pyramid Schemes posted:

In both Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes, existing investors are compensated by the contributions of new investors. Ponzi scheme participants believe they are earning returns from their investment, while pyramid scheme participants are aware that they are earning money by recruiting new participants.

Multi-Level Marketing posted:

a marketing strategy in which the sales force is compensated not only for sales they generate, but also for the sales of the other salespeople that they recruit. This recruited sales force is referred to as the participant's "downline", and can provide multiple levels of compensation.

TLDR: CIG is much closer to Cutco than they are to Bernie Madoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Loiosh posted:

For Star Citizen, Croberts knew they needed to fix this, so they brought on a dev who they thought could do something similar to the Dunia engine for them, basically do a rewrite of the animation, IK and pre-IK engine, and movement code. Unfortunately that team (IllFonic) was entirely not up to the task (I'm guessing something like Batman: Arkham Knight by Iron Galaxy bad). If you saw those early presentations when they were first showing off the FPS stuff it was really jittery, lots of horrible animation interruptions and stuttering. It kinda looked like... well let's not go there. IT was bad. Bad enough that Chris, who is a huge fan of FPS games, pulled it away from them and scrapped their work to redo it in house. That's kinda when I took a step back and got concerned about the direction of the game. At the time I did not realize how bad the work coming from IllFonic was. I've seen a number of early releases (you should see what Frostbite looked like during its first two years), and recognize jank being part of it, but SC's combat was -bad-.

First of all- thank you for the interesting perspective on all of this. I really do appreciate reading analysis by someone who knows what they're talking about development wise.

Some questions/follow-ups: I was under the impression that most of the rework for the skeletal system was being done because of the weird requirement that first and third-person use the same animations, as opposed to interrupts/jitter? And it doesn't seem like they've done a good job of eliminating jitter, by recent videos. If anything they've made it worse, as you can see in the first minute here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ccKp1n13jQ Edit: Ignore the second part, you addressed this in a follow-up post.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread