Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Um, I just watched this for the first time and...it sort of looked cool :kiddo:

Yeah it does- very much a game I'd like to play, if somewhat incomplete. I've never been turned off by the scope and the mechanics do seem possible for a focused group to deliver. What's turned me off to the whole project is the back-and-forth project management, the promised/missed dates, the completely incompetent community management, and the truly greedy sales tactics. It's easy to forget that there's a genuinely interesting tech piece behind all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Seraph it is a two-second inconvenience to place your new accounts on ignore please save me the trouble and just blankpost from now on tia

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Namefag Edgelord posted:

You still haven't figured out the rules of the game - everyone time you write "Seraph", I gain 200 points hth tia

That's okay because every time you wake up friendless and alone and contemplate the effort it would take to try, today, just try to get out that door and get a job and live a happy life and maybe talk to somebody in person it sends you spiraling down into depression and you think about how much easier just giving up and ending it all in a bottle of vodka and a handful of anti-psychotic meds would be but in the end you're too big of a coward for that even, too afraid of the unknown so instead you sigh deeply and go masturbate to pictures of children and post on something awful- every time that happens, you lose, Seraph.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3sbyuh/from_ben_how_would_you_feel_about_replacing_the/

Ben posted:

While I'm here, let me ask you guys a theoretical question: how would you feel about replacing the Cutlass? That is: how mated are you to the current look of the ship? One thing John points out in his piece (... as best I can understand, anyway...) is that there are certain significant limitations to how we can place thrusters on the current design. So if everybody had the choice between the Cutlass commerce raider and, say, the Buccaneer interceptor that's more maneuverable but has a smaller cargo hold, would that be a reasonable compromise? It's something we've talked about internally, and so I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the megathread. (Please don't consider that a promise of a new ship... it's something we're thinking about, but will need to decide and commit resources to first.)

Oh, Ben.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sappo569 posted:

You missed the best part, where Ben replies with 'By replacing I don't mean REPLACING...'

I actually feel like that wouldn't be a bad compromise. I mean ideally the way to go would have been to not sell a ship when they had no clue what it was supposed to do. But I will take tacit admission that they were wrong and releasing a second ship more in line with what people wanted.

Side note- I wonder if this means that cutlasses are seeing a shitload of refunds?

Loiosh posted:

That seems like a nice idea to let people move to a new ship if they wish (assuming the price does not change) unless I'm missing something shady.

The shady part was that they sold it as a fighter and then made it not-a-fighter and said "No it was always this way." This is them correcting that. Which is... well, at least they're trying. Or, asking about the possibility of maybe trying, if enough people are down with it, at some unspecified point in the future. Progress!

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 10, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Loiosh posted:

I'm not ignoring, in case this was directed at me. I really have not said anything on the studio situation beyond mentioning that Derek's original post made me hold off on funding. If curious: My opinion is that I do not have enough reliable fact to judge at this time, so I'm waiting to see if content gets delivered and what state it is in.

I think he was talking to Karl, who is admittedly less irritating than some of the recent crazies. You're not crazy at all- it's nice to see someone who can disagree and back it up without resorting to ad hominem.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Meat Dimension posted:

It's a slippery slope I-Novae :cripes:

I saw that kickstarter update today and considered cancelling my pledge. That is really not a path I'm interested in going down again.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Yeehaw- it's Around the Verse!

I'm sure AP will have fun with this. (Although it's only 10 frames per second so maybe it'll make for a crap gif...)

Glad they're spending more time on actual ships in their spaceship game. The Constellation redesign looks really good, although not any more functional or flight ready than the old hangar model. I'm sure in another year's time, the next redesign will look even better.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tank Boy Ken posted:

PLANETS HAVE BEEN RELEASED!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRu9p-3Ois

I hope I didn't trigger anyone with "released" (sorry).

Hell that looks a lot better than I expected- I wonder how laggy it is? The ultimate irony of all of this is that by the time SC actually comes out, games like Elite and Infinity and Space Engineers are going to have one-upped all of its most important features.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

Yeah probably, but they need the November sale to raise millions or it's going to be obvious to even the most deluded fan that the ship is sinking. It's a fairly big roll of the dice on their part if they don't ship something. It's possible that Citizens might stop paying for concept art, as crazy as that seems, logically there has to be a limit to how long this can continue.

My 100% accurate future-vision predicts:

Nothing will be released.

No lawsuits will be filed.

They will make millions on their November sale regardless.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mirificus posted:

Better quality indeed:

Still reading the thread but just saw this.

It looks like a convict carved it out of a bar of soap.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Angela Christine posted:

That's the most detailed decorative soap I've ever seen!

drat it you stole my joke

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

People constantly dunking on Octopode is funny, but doesn't really seem necessary. I'm going to keep sitting here and the game's going to keep not being out, and he'll keep being wrong. That's really all that's necessary.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chocobo posted:

Derk Smart paused a moment, then burst out, “Octopode, Chris Roberts bears all the troubles of the games industry on its shoulders and he is tired.”
“Madness. Midsummer madness,” muttered Octopode.
“Then let me show you something. Let me put him to the test. May I have permission to use the computer here in your office?”
“Why?”
“To ask him a question no one has ever asked Roberts before.”
“Will you do him harm?” asked Octopode in quick alarm.
“No. But it will tell us what we want to know.”
The fanboy hesitated a trifle. Then he said, “Go ahead.”
Smart used the keyboard on Octopode's desk. His fingers punched in the concierge support ticket with deft strokes: ‘Chris Roberts, what do you yourself want more than anything else?’
The moment between question and answer lengthened unbearably, but neither Smart nor Octopode breathed.
A week later there was a beep and a reply was recieved. It was a form letter:
“We would like to alert you to the fact that we are currently experiencing an unusually high load of tickets causing severe delays in getting replies out to you.”
Three weeks later there was another beep as a second reply was recieved. On it, in precise letters, was the answer:

This analogy is flawed though because at the end of time and space the program actually manages to complete the task.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

One of the biggest dings against the theory of CIG being some kind of all-encompassing scam rather than just a bunch of incompetent bumblefucks with massive egos and a vague association with the concept of "Truth" is that they can't even figure out how to take money in ways that people have been demanding to give it to them for months.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/296342

They still have not got around to putting the un-melt option in their online store. It's money just lying on the table- people bought these ships, turned them into store credit, now they want to put more cash in to buy them again. The "Melt" option already exists. The ability to take money already exists. Somehow they still can't put em' together. But soon!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Croberts posted:

I think there will be more freeform from space down to planets than we were originally planning, and it will all stream

Aaaaand there it is. One sentence implying gigantic scope creep because Croberts noticed that Elite and Space Engineers and Inifinity were all doing it, and Star Citizen was no longer the "Best." gently caress it! All those landing zones you did in the last three years- throw em away! We're doing seamless now!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

kordansk posted:

I love how the game will never get done because games will keep implementing newer better things. SCOPE CREEP!!!!!

And it's not just that! He implied seamless planetary landings and limb-based armor selection and in-game voice commands and interactive cockpit switches and full escape sequences and none of it, none of it is supported by the game as it exists today. At the same time he couldn't answer basic loving questions like "What will the starting planets be" in the portion of the game that was supposed to be out and finished right now, end of 2015. They haven't even started planning for the persistent universe and he's already expanding the scope in his head. They've reached the point where development has delayed for so long that a bunch of indie games caught up and started to make Star Citizen look like the lukewarm poo poo that it actually is, and he's racing to get his promises out ahead of the actual state of games again. He did not put thought one into how to actually deliver any of it, because he doesn't plan to actually deliver any of it. It's really evident if you read between the lines of his statements in that video. God it pisses me off.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

sincx posted:

I have never figured out what "Reverse the Verse" means.

It's the show that comes on after "Around" and "Reverse" is sort of a vaguely location-related like "Around" but also implies backing up which sort of sounds like "Comes After" if you squint and "Reverse" is assonant with "Verse" and people who are really quite stupid but who want to sound clever might mistake it for a great title.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fifty-two thousand dollars. And he's complaining about being treated like a second class citizen compared to some other backer. What the hell did the other guy spend?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A redditor posted:

Having a ship sit in concept for more than a year means you are understaffed.

Another Redditor posted:

You've got a fridge full of food, can you poop all of it out RIGHT NOW?! i want to see the entire contents of your fridge be digested and released immediately.

They have a fridge full of tasty ships and space stuff, but we can only eat one meal at a time, and this is a 5 star restaurant where quality > everything.

Look you guys Chris Roberts has a lot of ships to poo poo out and his bowels can only move so fast. I look forward to eating his poo poo just like you, but we have to be patient.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jst0rm posted:

someone getting a phd in psychology will study this thing in like 5 years.

I'm studying the poo poo out of it now. It is fascinating. So many questions. Is the current community a product of the failed development cycle or was it always going to evolve this way? Is the weird lack of impulse control in the fan base a symptom of the high prices weeding out more level-headed buyers, or would it have cropped up in a cheaper environment? Why are so many of the fans so adamant about not holding CIG accountable for any dates, in what is almost an inversion of the typical fan-developer relationship? Did CIG go out of their way to target and collect the fringe elements or was there something about the project allowing people to project their own vision onto it that drew in the truly mentally unstable? Could a similar project crop up again given the right set of circumstances? Will community expectations change as gameplay actually releases and elements of the project solidify, and is CIG intentionally delaying that moment to keep the imagination-space (and wallets) as open as possible?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bootcha posted:

Consider this my public statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

End of an era, right there. Also might explain the half-refunds recently

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Gerbil_Pen posted:

So lesnick is leaving?

I'll bet 50 bucks that Tony Z is leaving.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

GUYS A VERSION NUMBER INCREMENTED BY ONE

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3td5vy/new_patcher_v_242/

HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo

Yespleamdr posted:

it's about hyping us for nothing while they should either try to meet dates or don't give any. If you try to look back to this sub in march 2015 everyone was exited about Starmarine coming in 2 weeks.... It's not the wait, it's how they manage it by hyping us

YOU'RE RIGHT I'M SO EX- wait what?

NyuuPingu posted:

I rather have a date and an explanation why it's getting delayed by a reasonable amount of time than someone constantly promising it's coming "soon".
When Devs do this for too long you get the feeling they don't commit to any deadlines anymore and thus get nothing done.

Is this... reason?

tommytrain posted:

Down vote away since the sentiment I'm having this morning contradicts yours: An event with 3 new ship sales BEFORE 2.0 drops is probably not ideal for sales, at least ... optically.

These can't all be Derek Smart alts!

MagBootFTW posted:

nobody says they take too long, most people are angry because they say : "ITS RIGHT THERE NEXT WEEK !!!!!" then 6 month later nothing then "NOW ITS REALLY THERE" and 3 month later nothing.

And these posts are all getting upvotes!

I think maybe the hype train is derailing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

So how's Star Citizen? All good I presume?

Today is sale day, no gameplay or other features revealed.

However Mark Hamill did give an interview to somebody or other so I guess give all your money to Chris Roberts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I don't understand this whole cast-info blitz. I just wanted a multiplayer space game, I was never in it for the cast, but of course John Rhys-Davies and Mark Hamill were going to be in it, they've been in everything CR's ever done. People getting all worked up over them is just weird to me. Well, that and the fact that it feels like a shell game to divert people's attention away from the fact that they're holding another sale without having released anything.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Citizen posted:

Lets throw down some bets on 2.0 announcement on the live stream. If there is no date confirmation I might kick a baby. I'm betting on Friday. CIG PLS... (Also I'm drunk and in Asia, CIG please make my life better when I wake up)

Another Citizen posted:

They will continue to imply that it is right around the corner, as they have been doing since Gamescom. Prior to that, they spent the whole year implying that FPS was right around the corner. It never materialized- it is a safe bet that 2.0 will not materialize either.

"Early 2015", October 2014- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-03-star-citizen-first-person-shooter-gameplay-unveiled[1]

Demo of FPS Gameplay, November 2014- https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14269-FPS-Demo[2]

"In Spring", January- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-release-schedule-dates-fps-mode-and-s/1100-6424807/[3]

Nearing release, March- http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizens-fps-module-nearing-release/[4]

Weeks away, July - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/star-citizen-fps-module-weeks/[5]

Also July - http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/18/8998749/star-citizen-star-marine-release-date-gamescom[6]

Whoops! Delayed "Indefinitely", June - http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/30/8871167/star-citizens-fps-module-delayed-indefinitely[7]

But that's okay because now 2.0 is coming soon, October - http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-alpha-20-detailed-coming-bringing-persistent-universe-200-quadrillion-cubic-kilometer-universe/[8]

It's going to be out right after Gamescom! - http://www.pcinvasion.com/comiccon-brings-more-star-citizen-info-new-arena-commander-after-gamescom[9]

Really soon- http://wccftech.com/spectacular-multi-crew-mission-from-arena-commander-2-0-demoed-star-citizen/[10]

REALLY REALLY SOON- http://www.crossmap.com/news/star-citizen-release-date-news-and-update-new-alpha-2-0-version-coming-soon-22470

When you lay it all out like that, it's kind of nuts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Derek is kind of implying that he will actually be speaking with Chris during this live stream....

Chris has tricked Derek into a live appearance on-stream. What Derek doesn't know is that they're going to strap him to a chair and force him to watch them release 2.0 to the public, at which point he will be publicly tried and executed for his treasonous disbelief.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh hey they're late again.

But you can buy this model of a spaceship!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Constellation-Model/10

Only eighty loving dollars for a ten inch model of a ship that you literally will never be able to see in-game, ever, because after they released this model they redesigned the entire thing and now it looks totally different but is still not flyable!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sappo569 posted:

The way Chris is saying 'things are coming together now' leads me to believe they have absolutely nothing to show for

All of their language is like this. It's always just around the corner, just ahead. It has to be deliberate at this point.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey well, Tony Z hasn't quit yet. That's... something?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/crucible/Anvil-Crucible

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/p52-merlin/P-72-Archimedes

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/aegis-avenger/Titan-Module

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/p52-merlin/P-72-Archimedes#buying-options

I guess they gave up on making the P-72 look different from the P-52 because that's the same loving model.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I love that they launched straight into the goddamn sale with a 10 minute preamble. No gameplay, no release. Just straight up sale.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm really excited about this movie Chris is making and I'm happy for him but can we go back to talking about the game?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Plankalkuel posted:

CR: SQ42 is like the Lord pf the Rings triology!

A complete fantasy?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The youtube chat stream is just slamming on Derek Smart without any provocation, it's kind of alarming.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bootcha posted:

Have they shown anything other than movie stuff and jpegs?

Not in the hour or so that I watched. Not really even that, mostly it was just Chris talking and waving his hands. I've got actual work to do so I'm wandering off- I'll be back if anything interesting pops up.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Phoenix owners get ready for a revolutionary ship:

Isn't this the one that Ben said multiple times that he'd seen, and it was awesome and going to be well worth the wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Romes128 posted:

Bens opinions are not his own. He's basically a second voice for cr

Well yeah but jesus christ that P-72 is the epitome of :effort:

• Locked thread