Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Right now my favourite Star Citizen thing is the people who have bought dozens of expensive ships and now want an infinite number of super smart NPCs so they can solo their entire fleet without ever being threatened by those pesky PVPers:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-t-to-an-extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Thanks to CIG's one of a kind PU matchmaking technology I can rest easy knowing that all my encounters in the Verse will be perfectly balanced.

Thank you Chris, for keeping the game fair.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Eonwe posted:

https://twitch.tv/twitchinstallsarchlinux

go ahead and help twitch install linux

Can twitch help croberts make a game?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Xaerael posted:

What's the odds they'll cave in and switch engines eventually?

They've already committed to rewriting most of the engine. Moving to a new one doesn't really make sense once your that deep.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Does Elite use a custom engine?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Hav posted:

It's called 'sunk cost fallacy', and it's one of the reasons why good project management is required.

There isn't a single engine on the market that has the features that CIG/Roberts need and want. They would have to do a rewrite no matter what engine they chose. They've started modifying Cryengine so might as well stick with it.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

How's that working out for them?

The project is completely hosed, but that's not the engine's fault.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I'm the average framerate of 20 in a game that is supposed to support 10 times the players it currently does.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I'm glad the Starsector patch is out so I can play a space game that's actually good and fun and working right now. Seriously, buy Starsector

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Daztek posted:

I totally forgot about this game, I bought it in.. 2012? When it was still called Starfarer. So what has changed? :v:

The entire game is 150 MB in size. Just download and try it.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I've never seen the Wing Commander movie and I'm sure as hell not gonna watch it now so I decided to watch Spoony's review of it. Seeing 30 minutes of that poo poo I have to ask: why would anyone ever trust croberts to create something that's fun and functional?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Nice to see the assault rifles are just as limp as they were months ago, it's almost like there has been no progress in the FPS features

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Is there any footage that shows what the FPS combat looks like right now?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

So far this is the best video I've found of the 2.0 PTU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1_IXHIIQ8

If the areas are segmented they're still considerably larger than the arena commander ones. I also saw a video where a glitch teleported the player 100 000 kilometers away from his ship so it's possible to be that far away from any point of reference without the game making GBS threads itself.

Performance and stability seem to be massive issues thought. Framerates can fall easily below 20 and most of the videos I watched ended because the game or the server crashed.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

happyhippy posted:

What if.......we use 256 bit precision!

Give me my 90 million dollars.

We can finally precisely model every atom in the gameworld.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Can someone who's not Derek Smart or a true believer test if the world is actually segmented and if so, how large those segments are.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=por6XMWHbeU

Jumping out of a ship while it's in quantum travel just dumps you between the two travel locations, hundreds of thousands of kilometers away from anything useful.

Also suiciding causes the game to crash.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

croberts boasting how his game would outshine CoD and BF was really dumb considering all SC needed was basic yet fun and functional shooter mechanics. A theoretical good game SC would have had more then enough selling points even without the FPS part being a CoD killer.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

AP posted:

I dunno, possibly there's a crawl space above the corridor and he clipped out and the animations weren't finished. Or maybe they both tried to use the door at the same time and the other guy was concierge level.

The animation that was supposed to move him through the door into the cargo hold bugged and glitched him into the ships upper hull instead. Since he was no longer "inside" the ship the local physics grid stopped working. At least that's what it looks like. The get in / get out animations in general tend to have problems with placing you into the correct spot.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Honestly the 2.0 stuff looks kinda fun when it works and that kinda pisses me off. The game could have been great if croberts and his secret wife took a hands-off approach to the development and abandoned their hollywood moviegame dreams.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

comfortable VR was out of the picture the moment the FPS bits were announced. VR just doesn't work with that style of gameplay

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

At CitizenCon Chris Roberts literally said they will not be giving any more release dates and the audience broke into applause.

Man was that the most pathetic poo poo possible.

a clearly agitated croberts whines like a little kid to his most loyal (gullible) customers about how people give him poo poo for never sticking to deadlines. :qq:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Behold! I am finally free from publisher meddling!

*micromanages the project to dead and sets 5 different hard to hit deadlines*

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Skellybones posted:

What's striking to me is the dissonant levels of detail, effort and polish. There are all these hyper-involved features like the elevators, ramps, ladders and hatches you need to interact with to get anywhere, or the myriad pilot seat animations with flip top canopies or spinning seats. Meanwhile you can't go five minutes without clipping through something or just crashing.

Shouldn't the first priority be getting a stable engine running, laying down a couple of basic spaceship hulls that can move and shoot, and then adding all the pointless immersive detail?

The issue is partially that the ships have no clear design direction and the interiors are designed only after the exterior is ready. The Avenger needs all those dumb animations because the interior is too small for human sized doors. CIG designs cool looking ships that are easy to sell and only later starts thinking how they are going to fit all the poo poo inside that hull. Basically the animations need to be there because normal movement is impossible in some of the ships.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

thinking about it, the ship designs in general are absolutely horrible. Many ships have interiors that are too small for normal FPS movement (and thus require transition animations). Some of them were clearly made without clear guidelines (the Cutlass has big red buttons that operate all the doors and systems, a feature that exist in no other ship). Most of the interiors are either massive wastes of space (that bomber ship thing) or they come from the large segmented tube school of design (constellation, freelancer). They really should've made the interiors first to make sure everything fits and that normal movement is possible throughout the ship.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Danknificent posted:

Serious post: in my days of casually looking at occasional SC media, I have three (3) times seen this slow, stiff, sad animation to sit down in a chair and take command of a ship.

I'm literally sick of it after seeing it three times as an observer who has the option to skip ahead or tab away. If I had to deal with that in the actual game, that would be a meaningful quality of life issue.

Real talk. It's not like SC is presenting us with a shortage of evidence of questionable design decisions, but this sticks out to me as one of the most egregious - after all, what is a more core part of your space game than sitting down in your space chair to drive your space ship? If you can't even get that right, where do you stand?

agreed, the sitting animations are all far too slow and over choreographed. They should be 2 to 3 seconds long max, without all the careful stepping around and spinning poo poo many of them have right now.

e: the constellation "sit down" animation is loving 15 seconds long.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 23, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Iglocska posted:

They are definitely not longer than 2-3 seconds, don't think they're a seriously bad design decision. I think the whole idea that the player camera should follow the player model's eyes is a MUCH worse one.

I edited my post but I'll put it here too since we are on a new page. The Constellations sit down animation takes 15 seconds. I don't care enough to check, but I'm pretty sure some of the fighters have equally long get in/out animations.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Indeed. Unless they change their minds of course.

Also, I have my doubts that any of the really expensive ships will be useful to any individual gamers. I mean unless they can somehow convince an army of people to sit in turrets and point and click all day, all those big ships are utterly useless to anyone outside of clans.

All the turrets should've been remote controlled with an automation options. The Retaliator's interior is completely ruined because you need to have physical access to all the turrets around the ship. And who the gently caress wants to be on constant turret duty? That seems like the most boring poo poo ever. With remote/automated turrets a single co-pilot could seamlessly jump between them while also managing other ship systems (is this what Elite is going to do?).

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

CIG's decision to make LTI super common is also going to fundamentally change how the game is played. The super hardcore heavy on consequences game some of the true believers are still dreaming about won't ever exist because insurance is effectively free and infinite.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Just to be clear: I don't think LTI or cheap insurance are bad things if the game is balanced around them.

There is however a large group of true believers who still cling to crobert's death of spaceman post and the idea of strong permadeath. IMO those things cannot coexist with the current insurance system

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I have found the handful of people in here going "That...kinda looks fun..." to be pretty entertaining. It's like nobody wants to admit it.

The game not being fun was never the issue I had. Hell, I even enjoyed Arena Commander when ever it wasn't plagued by massive latency and stability issues. The teams technical competence was never in question and after hundreds of hours of ARMA and STALKER I can easily deal with janky gameplay. My issue with the project is croberts' complete lack of project management skills and the various terrible decision he has made and continues to make during development. Also, Sandi and the rest of the clown crew.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I really can't muster any enthusiasm for SQ 42. I hate all that "cinematic" movie poo poo in games and I couldn't care less about the super amazing star actors. It's clear the singleplayer campaign is croberts way of creating another movie without the industry that dumped him. We haven't seen a single second of gameplay footage from the campaign yet we have hours of making of poo poo from the various motion capture shoots.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

:psyduck: WTF

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

ARMA 3 has a headbob slider that goes from 0 (no headbob) to 100 (vomit city), so I don't really understand why CIG couldn't do something similar. Unless of course croberts insists that the camera needs to be locked to a specific bone in the characters head at all times.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Cant wait to enjoy the complete lack of nonconsensual encounters thanks to CIG's groundbreaking :lesnick: PVP SLIDER :lesnick:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

So I guess here's my optimal Star Citizen outcome:

1. CIG lasts long enough to bring the engine and all the core features into a stable and functional state

2. CIG runs out of money and SC is acquired by another more competent dev

3. Star Citizen is freed from the influence of croberts and friends and is properly finished by the new dev (without all the bullshit PvP sliders and customer service minigames)

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Chalks posted:

It's euro truck simulator in space. Which is by no means a criticism. Also Horizons is going to add a lot of variety - their future development plans look pretty shiny too.

I'm interested in knowing how SC isn't going to be a simplistic list of fetch and kill quests, if this is your opinion. From my perspective, SC is simply a small scale version of E:D with the addition of first person combat and higher graphical fidelity.

I think croberts has made it pretty clear that players can't affect the games economies or worlds in any meaningful way, which is a massive bummer (assuming of course the game ever releases). That basically leaves you with fetch quest since anything more complex might affect the overall world state.

I've been playing Starsector a lot, and being able to destabilize markets through predatory smuggling and by disrupting trade and relief fleets is really awesome. That's the kind of sandbox gameplay I would hope for in any future spacegame.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

OhDearGodNo posted:

None, because the 'game' doesn't work.

The game performing in an acceptable way wasn't one of the promised features

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

How has no one tried to super cruise from one station to another? the PTU has been out for over a week and the offline hack seems to be really stable. We (I) need an answer to this seamless world discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

It would take hundreds of hours and the game hasn't been stable enough to try (though maybe offline).

This is one of the great mysteries of our time. Sacrifices must be made in the name of the truth.

• Locked thread