Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.

Start Criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Romes128 posted:

That's probably the only good thing I've seen coming out of Star citizen

Anyone know if this is in engine? Looks too good compared to what we get in game.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

D_Smart posted:

So our new contender for my WIP blog (latest PDF export) on the abusive White Knights in the Star Citizen community, is Nick Butler (that's him in the wheelchair) aka /user/NitroTypat/ aka @Bipii_4084.

If you look at his Reddit and Twitter feeds (1, 2, 3, 4), he is one of my top harassers (I'm rounding them all up like cattle, for the blog, then I'm going to link to all their social media feeds).

Hey Nick, if you don't knock it off, I'm going to have my people get in touch with your Dad in Virginia and let him know you're harassing people online. No further warnings. Go play a game or something.

Maybe give this guy a pass? He might just have a reason to be angry at the world

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Eonwe posted:

like ive only ever really posted here to mock star citizen, but how can I mock something that is like recursively self mocking

you can't vaudeville vaudeville

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Live stream vibe seems...I dunno....hard to describe.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

XK posted:

There was a gif posted a week or so ago of a pilot sitting in a cockpit, the ship rotating around, and the pilot's limbs rolling around the cockpit as the ship rotated. I'm not bothering to look for it because I bet it got nuked by the bot. It basically says all that needs to be said about why this game will never come out in any form even slightly resembling the promises that have been made.

You get your basic starting point build made, all's good. Then you start going down the list of 1,200 promises you've made. You decide to pick something simple to start with, like ship localized physics or some bullshit. You spend 3 weeks mucking up your code with patches and tentacles running through everything. Finally you're done, it seems pretty good, the code's kind of messed up now, but you'll clean it up later. Oh, wait, the pilot's arms and legs fly around all over the place when the ship rotates. gently caress. Only 1,199 hacks to go.

This is basically what happens when you don't have the underlying framework for your software worked out before you start slapping stuff together, and it only gets exponentially worse when you fall victim to feature bloat. I've been there before with my own software, where I just start making stuff, get it working, then try to start sticking other features on later. It always results in a completely unmanageable mess.

If they were promising only a space ship sim, I'd say it was a reasonable possibility for them to get it together and produce something. They are promising pretty much everything that could be imagined, don't appear to have their fundamental framework worked out, and are pathologically ridden with feature bloat. This situation is an absolute death knell for any project. This is why the media they have to present of what their game offers seems to be going backwards and is less impressive than what they were showcasing years ago, it's the reason they've had to start SQ42 over, and it's why everything is in modules. Nothing works together. When they try to combine all these separate pieces, it will not be possible even by the greatest coding wizards. They are destroying their own work through bad project management and bloat. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, when the project falls apart, they have almost nothing functional left because everything has been wrecked with half-assed hacks and patches to make space juke boxes and targeting reticules not rotate through the hull and fly off into the nearest physics object.

I can't even call it a con job, because with that the smart thing to do would be to poo poo out a decent space ship sim, then run off with the rest of the tens of millions in funds and the project completed. This is a guy who's in completely over his head, is going to end up blowing every dollar, and nobody will have anything to show for it except some space ship concept art.

I can't believe how off in the weeds this project is. These are actual real manuals. No project can survive this.

Prototyping or proof of concept seems great until you try to expand features, and in my experience you end up rewriting the code often at a much slower pace. One of the problems CIG faces, is that they have to continually build proof of concept / demos / videos to get something out to backers. There have been admissions by CIG staff relating to shortcutting proper solution and using hackery to ship AC for example. While they internally recognised the need to build reusable systems they still seem to be struggling due to such high expectations. I was excited when they posted the new flight model information, however the lack of any working dev videos make me nervous.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

There is one simple thing for me.

If it turns out CIG executives have been buying first class plane tickets using backer funds I would be very disappointed.

I can understand flying business class or premium economy and then upgrading with their own money to first class.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

This whole publisher thing, I don't get it. Even if they don't use a publisher, aren't they just self publishing? I'm also not sure I understand the vitriol aimed at publishers. I've seen poo poo decisions made by some publishers, but not all. Yes a publisher would not let you do what you wanted, but then I'm not sure if constantly paying to distribute 30GB+ downloads to your community is a wise use of funds either. Where are the checks and balances?

Also the whole PC master race thing. I liked that aspect of their marketing. I have fond memories of the PC exclusive back in the day. Why did they aim for PC exclusive? Was it purely marketing or was it an engineering decision? Both the PS4 and Xbox One (and Nintendo NX if you believe rumours) are X86-64 which means they could have a build. I understand consoles limitations, but the thing is would having the goal of releasing some content to console provided the restraint that CIG desperately needed at the very beginning of development? Ironically have CIG been hoist by their own petard when it comes to building a PC exclusive for Star Citizen?

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I tried unsuccessfully to find somewhere clearly on the RSI website where it explains that you only need a basic package, and that the rest of the ships are available for free in game.

There is a lot of misinformation in chat and on the forums when potential backers start asking questions about which ship to buy etc.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

It sucks he's probably stressed, working hard and not looking after himself.

Look after yourself Ben!

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

10 for the Waiters. Precognition?

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

pftc posted:

Caption this

pwnd

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I'm keeping my money in the game because it's like gambling on sport, I could give 2 fucks normally, then I put $10 on a team and I can feel my heightened cardio vascular system.

Star Citizen is 10000x that feeling. If it bombs, the precious tears of the WK, if succeeds I get to weep over giant star ships.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

The last thing you'd see if you're on 2 wheels.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Wafflz posted:

Can I buy a picture of the blog to look at while waiting for the blog?

I don't mind if the blog's not finished. I'm used to seeing unfinished blogs in my job.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Does anyone know the address of the new studio? Always interested to do a google street view for kicks.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Octopode posted:

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

WOPR!

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

inverse your purse

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Wow that performance on 10FTC. I have to get out of this poo poo show. I will be sending a refund request in the morning.

If I can get my money back we're going on a holiday.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Foo

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:pgabz: Oh my god! It worked! :pgabz:

Holy poo poo, the one weird trick actually worked!

Know your rights kids.

Thanks I've just sent my denied request back too.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

Just got a permaban in their Twitch community.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

started with @echo off but then they realised that's all they had.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I can't put my finger on it, but when running around in game there's a weird subtle shaking, best I can describe it as nervous positioning, my character seems like it has a reluctance to move, it doesn't feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I think this INN shitshow is an emergency false flag operation to draw attention away from the main shitshow.

A shitshow inside the shitshow.

• Locked thread