Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Like if you wanted us to sympathize with the people you're going after, Dsmart, it's working.

Secretly a villain-for-hire bringing in funding via the reverse double Streisand gambit... it all makes sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Thread has been removed from /r/starcitizen

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

SneakyFrog posted:

what do you call a group of :gary: 's

a gaggle of garys?

A Vault 108

:gary: < "Gary?"

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Dirty Hairy posted:

Unrelated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42KCDCuIuc4 Why isn't everyone flying like this?

It's difficult to do with kb+mouse or an Xbox controller.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Io_ posted:

also momentum.

This should help:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changes

Seems a bit weird at first to imitate greater momentum by artificially limiting the rate of change in thrust, but apparently when people tried making their own mods with much lower max acceleration, no one could kill each other because of the huge turn radius and limited time on target.

:gary::zoid:

Raticus79 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 30, 2015

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

It's messed up.

For one thing; the fact that they need more than one flight model, instead of using data parameters passed to a primary one in order to make the ships handle differently, cater to different play styles etc is telling..

Does anything in particular stand out to you as requiring different models rather than different parameters here?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changes
Seems like they're essentially just three different max speeds with corresponding changes in allowed maneuvering thrust. It's not like they're dealing with aerodynamics in these so they're relatively minor tweaks.

Surface flight could be a different story. I wonder if they'll bother with gravity and aerodynamics or just handwave it as being handled by the thrusters.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Oh that's new. I haven't seen that accusation yet. If it's true, that's some seriously messed up poo poo right there. I mean seriously, why would I even go after imgur?

Yeah, the original post about it mentioned "burning down our JPEGs", suggesting it had been meant literally.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You can't literally burn .jpgs. The most you can do is to burn the file storage device that contains the .jpgs. Or delete them. But you can not burn the actual file. :colbert:

It's ok, according to the dictionary literally also means figuratively now. GG popular usage.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

Hey-- we got some new dates from CIG! (Sorry if this was already posted...)

Source.

Ha, called it. Just in time for the anniversary sale.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Chalks posted:

Hey guys it looks like there's a new project coming up that we should all get behind. :gary:

Paywalling the Star Citizen threads and giving Derek a cut?

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

wyoak posted:

this guy sounds smart, maybe he left the company on his own, chasing the dragon of another kickstarted project
I like that he authored an sph fluid simulation for a loving mini-game, seems like a solid use of smartguy's time

Better hope that cup is the only thing being rendered at the time... I tried out the PhysX Flex fluid demo and it's really demanding.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

wow! Is that real? I'm not logged in right. You should screen cap and imgur that poo poo. RIGHT NOW!!

Real post by a normal poster in the concierge forum, not concierge support.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Double speed? The merlin's agile, but not that agile.
edit: actually a gladius if anyone cares, and the flight model changes aren't in yet. Source

Raticus79 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

BastionPete posted:

Well, I lost access to my old account from 2007, so I thought I'd make myself a brand spanking new one to contribute to this discussion. I even bought premium so I could be privy to all the SuperSecretTM stuff going on.

Turns out that was a minor mistake, frikkin loled hard when I realised

Yeah, I probably would have done the same thing if I hadn't noticed a few slight variations in the wording of that message.

Edit: aww yeah BonziBUDDY

Raticus79 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 4, 2015

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

njark posted:

we still posting cats?

*frrrt*

"GET A REFUUUUND!"

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

I wish I had a real time graph of how many people are playing Arena Commander at any given time. I imagine it looks something like this: http://steamcharts.com/app/37000

edit: I unironically love the void and it is a good game if you like buggy Russian games that like to take a poo poo on you.

This person tracked it via leaderboard update times for a while:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/260416/graph-arena-commander-player-participation-8-22-update
Check the "players per day" rows in the right column. About 400 to 1000 per day overall (3 months ago).

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

notoriousman posted:

isn't the vox thing happening, like, now

so you could go tune in now or just wait for reddit to archive it or w/e

Yeah, it's live now. No email verification needed so you can enter a garbage name+email and connect.

Pretty straightforward and unremarkable talk so far.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

Is there a way to watch this without registering and/or touching poo?

Also- I like that Derek has tasteful decorating sense. That really has come as a surprise to me, given the disorderly nature of his games.

https://global.gotowebinar.com/join/1400150363015143170/712848954
Enter garbage name+email and you're in. No verification step so it doesn't need to be a valid email.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015
I wonder how much mileage you can really get out of the "how do we know the 94 million really all came from backers" concern. In the same vein, you could ask whether there really is 94 million at all. There's this kind of stuff: http://www.allchinatech.com/?p=360

Working under the assumption for now that misleading people that way is legal, what would be in it for them to overstate the funding? Easy way to increase confidence in the project and get people to buy base packages while they're seen as discounted preorders? Could make sense when they're ready to ramp up the celebrity-driven SQ42 promotion for AAA mass market (people who respond to celebrity-driven marketing). They'd get less from the people kicking in on the "help make the dream happen" angle. The amount coming in from people paying to start in better ships would be pretty much unchanged.

In reality, I'm guessing they wouldn't get into that in the first place because of the potential legal trouble with that level of fraud.
:gary::burger::gary::burger::gary::burger::gary::burger::gary::burger::gary::burger::yarg::burger::burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

no_recall posted:

"Bitter Tears Platinum Card"

You can get the tears as a cutout pattern around the border of the card.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015
While the 300k funding and the agreement that goes with that would make for some interesting drama, there's no way they'll have trouble hitting the mark. They're not even in the last 48 hours yet and they only need 2.5% more of the total.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Dante80 posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15067-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Kickoff
Thursday, November 26th: Mercantile
Constellation Phoenix

Friday, November 27th – Sunday, November 29th: All Previously Offered Ships!

From Friday through Sunday, all ships previously available during this sale will return. Pick up your favorite as soon as it appears, or wait until the finale to make your choice!

People who bought the Constellation Phoenix at a premium on the gray market are going to be mad.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Down to 650
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/Infamous-Package
I'm surprised there were enough people willing to own three cutlasses that it sold out.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015
PTU patch is live.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Warcabbit posted:

So, how's the PTU patch? What changed?

People are still getting frequent crashes, but the option to go straight from the menu to the Crusader station without needing to go through the hangar speeds things up at least.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015
I wonder where the "fixed an issue where a feature wasn't implemented yet" patch notes style got started. I noticed Blizzard does it too.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Not allowing store credit seems really hosed up.

People were melting their existing $45 packages and replacing them with these $30 ones purchased using that credit. They were selling out in a few minutes each morning because people were picking up a free $15 credit without having to spend anything.

With this change, those people have to spend an additional $30 to pick up the discount package and after melting the previous package for store credit, they're with a $45 credit to apply to CCU or an additional ship. It cuts out the people looking for a free $15 credit and now it's only useful for new players or people willing to be in for at least $75.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015
So they did limit quantity on the Phoenix sale after all (5000). Can't CCU to it, so no way to get LTI on these ones. People have to buy the full ship and it comes with 3 year insurance.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15079-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Transporters

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015
Could just fire up Cheat Engine and track down the doubles which should be holding 64 bit global position coordinates... shouldn't be too hard if you quantum drive to random points and then just do changed/unchanged checks.

Raticus79 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 3, 2015

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Edit: Oh hey they rolled it out to the first 200,000 backers because it's obviously in a stable enough state to do that! I'm going to stop making predictions about when they will or will not roll poo poo out- their release schedule is clearly not governed by any concerns about keeping the game presentable. Or any other normal human logic, as far as I can tell.

Driving hard for that Dec 16 livestream Ben mentioned, I'd say.

Client side crashes are really frequent (usually at the first beacon if you even make it there). Will need to wait for the next round of in-progress crash fixes they mentioned.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

thatguy posted:

How does Smart have more posts in this thread than :eonwe: and Peter Gabriel? I'm disappointed in you guys, you're better than that.

I'm disappointed by the lack of :pgabz: in this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Over 12% of FLJK Goonrathi have [REDACTED] accounts, meaning those accounts were closed. To my knowledge the only way an account is closed is if the account is refunded.

Is there a way to generate a script to check other orgs?

Go to your org admin page, members tab. You should see their account name and "membership: redacted".

"Public: Everyone can see you’re part of that Org. It shows up in your Citizen Dossier, and you show up in its Member list.
Redacted: People can see that you’re part of “an” Org, but can’t see which. Your Citizen Dossier has a “Redacted” block where that Org would be, and you show up as “Redacted” in its Member List. All “Redacted” blocks make it impossible to trace the Member or the Org. (Note: the Org’s Officers can still see you clearly in their own Admin view. They were the ones who recruited you anyway)
Hidden: Nothing shows up in your Citizen Dossier. It’s like you were never part of it. The Org’s Member List shows a blank card where you would be. (Note: Again, the Org’s Officers can see you clearly in their Admin view)"

If you don't see a name on your admin/members page, then there's something different going on.

• Locked thread