Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Let me get this straight - if someone takes north of $100 million dollars to "make a game", and it turns out they never planned to, it's fraud and it's a clear-cut crime. But if someone asks the person "did you intend to make a game" and that person says "yes" and points to studios, employees, and poo poo - it's not a crime? 38 Studios intended to make a game, had employees and poo poo, and they're in a world of trouble. I really hate to think that CIG is going to get away with this simply because it can be proven that they "attempted" it. I know they're hiding behind the "donation" veil, but how much protection can that really offer? Is it fraud when the stupidity lies solely on the backers not knowing how inept the CEO is? Every time Chris opens his mouth, I realize he honestly is developmentally disabled, and in no circumstances should be in charge of this project. But we don't have investors to bring the hammer down, and we don't have a publisher to do it either. How can a shitshow based purely on the stupidity of the general public, a proven limitless resource, ever be brought to an end?

Catching up reply:

I think this is worse than 38 studios by far. Here you have CIG promising to build a game and raising $110,000,000 to do it. So expansive are the promises that at this point Star Citizen is no longer a game, it's an alternate reality where all of the sad autistics can go to finally be happy. It's a gigantic dream.

They just haven't realized that the guy promising these dreams has decided to basically make Wing Commander The Movie 2, a game nobody asked for, wants, paid for or will actually buy. I mean yeah I'm sure autists will swear they have wanted Squadron 42 their entire lives to justify their broken worldview, but That's why you see all of the feedback and questions being about the fantastical alternate reality that everyone paid for, while all of the output is actually Wing Commander The Movie 2. Chris Roberts looks and sounds like a loving retard when he actually tries to talk about or deal with the game everyone wants, because it's not what is being made.

The limit that will bring this whole thing to an end will be different for each backer, but at some point it will become undeniable. You would think most reasonable people would go "So how is the progress on our Space MMO. Oh you are spending millions motion capturing actors for a six inch thick script for ten hours of cutscenes? What?"

You'll probably have a significant amount of people at the end blaming everyone else for the failure, but leading up to that point funding will start drying up as all of these people that are paying for their dreams finally realize it isn't happening. It's really just when the situation hits critical mass for the community and you start to lose more and more people that were previously more and more devout to the cause.

Sure goons, investors and others have pulled their money out already once they saw disastrous demonstrations and the complete horse poo poo falling out of Chris Roberts mouth. Other people when they realized that most things Chris Roberts has made had to be taken away from him for just this reason. But you can't use logic and reason to change someones mind on a position they didn't use logic and reason to arrive at. So Chris Roberts is the savior of gaming and totally not objectively a loving hack with a proven record of disappointment and failure.

I've read pretty much everything star citizen for the past couple years, and I'd say it hits critical mass this year. The PTU extended the charade for awhile. It's a psychological "FINALLY" moment for people, and the more you bite into it the dumber you are, but that keeps money flowing. It may not happen Q4 2016, but the psychological impact of another year passing (Q1 2017) with probably zero real progress toward what everyone paid for is what will dislodge most of the turds that will still come out of this butt.

All of these people expecting a half dozen new systems and stations? Or any part of the sixty different proposed interlocking gameplay mechanics? None of that poo poo is getting done while Wing Commander The Movie 2 is being made, so every month they will start losing more and more people that are currently funneling their paychecks into the coffers for the dream. The limit on this entire endeavor is how badly each autist wants to be in this alternate reality. That's why the most broken people (Wesha) will be leftover at the end, they can't ever let go.

If EightAce is right and they aren't even expecting to finish Squadron 42 before Q4 2017 or 2018 then the "Dream" is already dead, it's just down to how long it takes each person to admit it to themselves.

I could be wrong, they might come up with some easy ways to get more money and limp along longer. When sales stop working they might release a second system in 3-6 months. Sure it will be empty, copy pasted elements, and just as broken as this system, hacked together functionality that wouldn't be in the final game (instance transition instead of actual jump gates) BUT PROGRESS GUYS. SYSTEM TWO!! 100% MORE SYSTEMS!! GAME HAS DOUBLED IN SIZE!! and that will suck up more millions. But eventually there is a limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I appreciate Derek's and EightAce's info the more things CIG says/does.

I think it's pretty much understood here that the MMO everyone expects and is paying for is completely halted while they make Squadron 42. Cultists are saying EightAce is fake and Derek is full of poo poo and we have all these ulterior motives and are obviously wrong.

but then

"Hey Chris how are planetary landings going to work?"
"We haven't...uhhhhh

"How is farming going to work? Animals?
"Uhhhh procedural birds?"

"When are we getting the Idris, something that made you millions and costs as much as a used car?"
(Ben) Not for a while, locked for because gently caress you.

"So when is _______ happening"
"Uhm"

If cultists start realizing what's going on in greater numbers it might hurt their sales quicker than I expected. But I still think you will see DOUBLE THE GAME SIZE! 100% MORE SYSTEMS!!! A SECOND SYSTEM!! as a cash grab / smug bragging point for cultists in the next few months when they hack together another empty copy pasted system behind a loading screen to pull in another few six digit days. They only have so much ground to cover by endlessly modifying the existing Tech Demo and calling it progress. What can be easily / quickly added? A capital ship takes time and would require work toward what the game is supposed to be (bigger instances, actual flight mechanics other than NOCLIP on disguised player models because a capship can't zoom around like every other similar sized ship) better mod the EVA and ship flight models some more. Change some values here, hack together a new mechanic there.

The best part is they can't deny it. Obviously they are walking people back on expectations and halting progress on the only thing people want / are paying for. It's even better because it's not like it's just because they can't make the game but they are making a completely secondary game that nobody asked for that fulfills Chris' failed movie making ambitions. The most entertainment I get out of the Star Citizen disaster is how they are dodging real questions on progress.

If CIG does try and deny it, it will just be transparent attempts at placating people like a hacked together second system or mechanics that wouldn't at all be in this version of the game but were obviously chosen to be talked about / brutally hacked in for no reason other than to show progress and hide that they are all in on S42 for the next year or more. They are already doing that by making GBS threads out that pupil to orbit planet or whatever. It drew in some money, it's a smug talking point for idiots but there is zero indication that any of that actually exists or will exist and when questioned about it you just get confusion.

With EightAce and Derek's information being corroborated by retarded ramblings Star Citizen is like re-watching Fight Club with someone watching it for the first time. You get to pick up on what you know is going to happen, the cultists are oblivious to the fact that Star Citizen isn't real and you are just waiting for them to figure it out.

I guess anyone that liked the Wing Commander movie might have good news in two years though.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm still catching up on the thread but every few thousand posts there is speculation about what Chris Roberts actually had to do with Starlancer.

The story was a little interesting and it segued nicely into Freelancer when the Allies lost in the Sol system to the Axis and evacuated. It was a nice touch in Freelancer if you went far enough out you could find the crashed Allied ship Hispania that gave rise to all the Corsairs and Hispanic Pirates, and why there was a British system, a German System, a Japanese System for the allies that made it successfully. I also remember some of the missions being interesting. So Chris had nothing to do with any of that.

Before every mission you had to wake up in your lovely little room, activate a TV for news, activate a shelf / drawer and then activate a box to see what medals you had earned. There was a training simulator you had to walk over and interact with as well. Then even if you wanted to skip all of that extraneous waste of time bullshit you still had to activate the door and walk down a long hallway toward the briefing room before being briefed. Before every mission.

Even after your traitorous enemy spy that was pretending to be a wingman and rousing motivational speeches from Captain Old "Grizzled" McMilitary I'd say the biggest influence he had was the complete, irritating waste of time those loving rooms were. I never once tried to interact with that poo poo in about ten playthroughs and every time ran straight to the door and it still took minutes to get to the actual missions.

I feel like literally zero gameplay in any game he has ever made has had anything to do with him. The cut content from freelancer was probably eight gigabytes of rendered apartments / cockpits / rooms / shelves / drawers. Want to go mine some lovely silver in Colorado system to get an early start? How about laboriously long animations of GENERIC SPACEMAN crawling into / out of space ships and flipping like a million switches. How about quicktime events to shuffle docking slips. Oh you found that secret wreck with rare loot in the first system? How about getting it requiring five minutes of EVA to float over and press "USE" and float back and go through all of the animations to enter your cockpit.

Microsoft probably cut 90% of Chris' gameplay, leaving the 10% anyone actually cared about. That's why the game is so fun but it seems so incomplete.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

TTerrible posted:

They've not added anything. There are no new mechanics. They've added items and ships. Nothing new is happening. You still have one tiny part of a system with a terribly broken physics setup. There are no real missions. There is no persistence. There is nothing. What is wrong with these people :psyduck: Why.

It's the illusion of progress. They obviously dropped the PU to get more money and the most gullible are convincing themselves everything is fantastic.

They should stop altogether after another six months of modding on the PU while everything Chris does or says proves he only cares about Squadron 42. You would think looking bewildered by the game everyone thinks he is making would have done that and kept these guys from preaching but it's a cult, you have to be willing to drink the kool aid.

I Think the title of a psychological study after this whole thing falls apart should be "The Importance of Social Acceptance and the pursuit of purchasing it." That's even why some goons got so absorbed in it, it became about the spreadsheet and how much each person had donated. Same thing with Doobie's Dog House, That Saga's Wesha cancelled christmas to give some retard $1,000 and post smugly about it. Compliments and acceptance socially are more important to them than money.

Not every backer is trying to buy friends but it's obvious Wesha is, and he feels like he is still inadequate after dropping $30,000+ and buying them all food and trying to hang out with them so he keeps paying more and more hoping that somebody likes him. He is trying to convince himself that he is a high roller that loves the game so much when he would do this to any project that had enough attention to make him feel like he had friends. Some lovely furry game maybe.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I think it's funny whenever they post that people on SA have no desire but to see the game fail.

I'm pretty much "Target Audience" for this game. I played the original Wing Commanders, I loved Starlancer and Freelancer. Freespace. That free BSG Freespace SIm with BSG Physics. The X Series. I've bought and played pretty much every possible space sim because it is by far my favorite type of game in my favorite type of setting.

The problem is I'm not loving stupid and can use evolving information to inform my opinion.

I'd love if everything CIG promised actually was coming out OR EVEN BEING MADE. Right now its Wing Commander The Movie 2. Every leak points to that, everything CIG says and does points to that.

Chris Roberts looks like a bumbling retard playing his own game because he's busy doing nothing but S42. His "programming sessions" are probably just some kind of mission editor for S42 in cryengine similar to some teenager making boners out of crystals and the balls out of vespene gas on starcraft maps. He is the guy in complete control and it's obvious he has zero clue about anything to do with the PU and must not be getting that the constant 95% of questions being about the PU means nobody gives a poo poo about, wants or paid for S42.

EightAce posted:

This forum and any forum that has any SC content is read by paid peons CONFIRMED. To be fair , they do adjust policy (with regards public facing issues ) in response. So.....
No more of that fake news report bollocks, more dev interviews etc. This in itself is amazing

Good. How about you guys make the loving game everyone wants/paid for instead of letting Chris Roberts poo poo out another terribly written, overly long cinematic abortion that nobody asked for. It's like he couldn't wait to actually do work and make a compelling universe that people were enjoying and had to rush straight to Year Five when he could develop an add on to the game that doesn't exist yet.

He is a child that skipped straight to his favorite part of a meal without doing the icky stuff (Actual work) (Requested Game) first. Just straight to YAY I"M A HOLLYWOOD DIRECTOR GUYS!!!!!!

Now Now, Chris. If you want to be a director you gotta finish your Universe, your Lore and your setting first.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
There are a lot of posts about Gary Oldman or Mark Hamil (even Andy Serkis) but I don't think anyone has considered it might be Gillian Anderson that wants distance from CIG yet.

She did look terrified and like she might be trying to blink SOS in some of those photos. And who knows what kind of person they had interview her because all we saw was a shittly slapped together thing where Sandi was obviously in a different room asking questions Gillian had already answered.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

wait so there are more of them who uses disability cheque to pay for jpegs? well birds with the same feather fucks together lol

Why do you think there were/are spikes in funding on Thursdays / Fridays and first of the month? Regular autists dump their paycheck into Star Citizen after it hits their bank on payday and the most broken who most want the promised alternate reality where anything is possible dump their checks as soon as they clear. Which is typically the first of the month for SSI / Disability.

Everyone was posting that graph earlier about how funding jumped up 5x to 5,000 an hour for like two hours, it was when people were getting off work on payday.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 25, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jon Do posted:

i dunno, if i was wasting my disability check i would more hope it was the "obvious scam" or "you, of all people, need a tight budget" that got me made fun of... and less where the money came from, or why it was funny i have a mental illness

I don't think anyone is laughing at mental illness or disability, and really we are just pointing out that this whole situation is like a snake oil salesman selling a cancer drug to a town full of people living on a uranium deposit. Enough people may have deficiencies that make them believe whatever they have to to make things better in their lives so they throw all their steady income into the IDEA and not the actual product or the results they get from it. The only thing that would make the whole situation worse is if CIG set out to do this from the start, but they just kind of accidentally started taking advantage of people, and then rolled with it super loving hard.

trucutru posted:

There may be hope for these people yet.

They are getting pretty drat salty about the changes in the ships and pricing. The ship lost a seat, guns or a travel mode? well, tough. The ship looks better than expected? well, it is also 55% more expensive now.

Well yeah, even the cultists have their tolerances. Some might hang on all the way to human sacrifice and skinning non believers alive but they lose a lot of people at the "What, we all stick deer antlers in our recturms and helicopter our dicks while spouting latin? The gently caress?" stages toward complete insanity.

They blatantly promised an ultra sleek alien transformer that was either a kickass fast ship or a badass brawling ship with two transformation modes changing the configuration of their ship. So cultists make Pew Pew noises and imagine that helicopter from the first Transformers or the planes from Robotech or something and buy them by the thousands.

Then it comes out years late and it's obvious they aren't able to even do what they promised and they hack in a minor cosmetic change to the ship model that is zipping around in NOCLIP and randomly exploding while every real effort and dollar goes into Wing Commander The Movie 2.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Neutron Bandit posted:

I've read a lot of this thread and the one thing I cant understand is this:
A) The game made most of its money on the Star Citizen module, NOT SQ42

B) The development manpower has been almost entirely diverted to the single-player Squadron 42. This is not private knowledge.

C) To my knowledge, not a single microcosm of the work of the AI team has been demonstrated. There is no NPC enemy to fight.

D) Despite the SQ42 priority, SCultists are nor disuaded and anyone looking for proof a single-player experience can even exist will come up short.

None of this makes any sense.

It seems most backers either don't believe or don't want to believe that the Persistent Universe / Game everyone wanted is virtually cancelled for Squadron 42. It's not really been announced or anything, And CIG are just silently shocking the corpse of their tech demo with a tazer as a distraction.

All the talk about the SQ42 push came from "Internal Sources" that really only get posted here, so the general population of CIG donors either haven't heard it or have dismissed it. Something official (like the heads of the PU development leaving / any setback to the PU / MMO caused by SQ42.) would change that though.

I'm positive more people would be in an uproar if it was publicly acknowledged that the persistent universe wasn't happening and the only thing that might even get done is Chris's new movie. People were fine with that poo poo being worked on when it looked like the PU / MMO was actually being worked on and was going to be complimented by SQ42 and not replaced by it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

G0RF posted:

We know it's possible Derek knows the details through well-placed sources and he's laughing reading above because it's so off base. I'm not invested in any specific theories because we don't have enough info to really commit to one. It IS weird Erin is there while Chris is gone, that we do know. It's also true that the cash engine MAY have thrown a piston (though this remains to be fully proven.) Are these two things related? We don't know. Is something big afoot? Most likely. What could that be? Anything.

One step that would be expected near the end of the projects lifetime is the closure of a studio to cut costs. The best thing about that is they would close one that is supposed to be working on what everyone wants / paid for to toss more cash bricks into the furnace on SQ42.

"CLOSE THE PU STUDIO! Squadron 42 needs more motion capture. Hours 7-9 in the cutscenes need better pacing and we aren't creating new content, we are frantically searching for something we haven't stolen from which takes way longer."

I'd speculate either something as serious as that, or an A-Lister (Gary Oldman / Gillian Anderson) someone major backing out of the project completely because of how toxic the star citizen cultist community is. Someone they've based a lot of time or money on, like re-shoots for the entire mocap they had already done, wasting millions upon millions of dollars. They might not be broke right now and can continue to operate, but losing Admiral Bishop or something means they need more of the already multi million dollar motion capture (which may be in the tens of millions easily since it started) cash they might be failing to make from further milking of their customers.

I hope an A-Lister left because of the cultists.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Thank you, this is a great write-up.

I'll throw some wild conjecture in that is almost assuredly wrong. Based on what Derek has been saying I think its possible some major restructuring is going on in terms of these offices. Time to cut down on the overhead. Foundry is working on the all-important SQ42, but in terms of lifestyle, Chris and Sandi adore LA. So the plan becomes transplanting SQ42 work to LA (and fortunately there's a mocap studio in place now!). Erin brings his core team over. Foundry 42 Manchester becomes operational in name only, like Austin. LA Designers and producers working on SC proper are poo poo-canned or are already electing to leave. Get rid of all that mess, its just getting way in the vision. Erin is in town to help coordinate the move.

Ambien is the best ok goodnight.

^^Efb

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I think the most telling thing about the Star Citizen community at this point in time is that the Star Traders guy is just some guy with a 30 year old board game he wants to bring to market. So he has some hack do the art to get it out there easier.

To prove they are now cultists and no longer investors in an idea instead of helping this guy pay for actual artists, or focus grouping or any actual development on the game by funding him with a fraction (Tenths of a percent) of the money they want to shovel another few quarter of a millions into the furnace to keep CIG re-shooting thirty seven hours of motion capture footage.

Sure I'm not funding this guy myself but I also didn't just buy a picture on a website that costs $1000 either.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm still 20 pages behind but Sunk Cost Galaxy is the only possible name for a book from Derek Smart about Star Citizen.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

LowellDND posted:

:swoon: If you put this on Steam Ill buy it.

All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Milky Moor posted:

I just told two people to consider refunding.

They immediately went to "WHERE DID YOU HEAR THIS?! SA?! THAT CRACKPOT DEREK SMART WANTS TO DESTROY STAR CITIZEN" and started comparing people suddenly refunding out of SC to the stock markets crashing to begin the Great Depression.

Well yeah. When SC fails it won't be the multiple special edition Porsche, the mansions, the 5 figure coffee machine with classes and an instructor included with purchase.

It won't be the technical debt, the complete mess of development, all the testimonials, the focus on poo poo nobody cares about (SQ42) or the mumbling retard at the top who has dreams of being a hollywood director.

It will be because we all didn't believe hard enough in the dream. We failed Star Citizen.

Also I don't have the patience to National Treasure poo poo, so gently caress all of you coy douches.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Would you like to post more?

For all of you new Citizens I have only one rule. Everyone Donates, No one charges back.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Someone tell me and I'll post it you bunch of Nancies. Jesus.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Milky Moor posted:

freelancer isn't freespace

Freespace 2 is the best sci-fi flight sim of all time. At some point in the past, Derek expressed interest in buying the IP and, at the time, told Freespace 2's community that he would shut down any mods or fan projects for IP infringement.

FS2's community is built around that sort of thing. So, they reacted badly. In the end, Derek didn't go through with it.

Also I'm convinced his only exposure to Starlancer was to add in these retarded rooms that made you waste time activating shelves/drawers/televisions before you activated a walking down the hallway cutscene before you could even get to your mission briefing, before EVERY mission

I guess technology wasn't up to animating you getting out of bed at the time though, since you kind of just spawned in it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I think that particular trolling last a good six months.

Disclaimer: I was trying to get the IP and came very close to acquiring it. But I backed out at the last minute in order to teach a bunch of rear end-clowns with entitlement issues, a lesson. Almost 10 years later, no Freespace 3. gently caress 'em.

Can you clear something up for me? How is modding a bad thing for a game?

Some of the Benefits I see as a Player / Modder

1) People have to buy your game to mod it
2) Cool mods are going to attract customers the base game didn't
3) Modders work for free optimizing and expanding on your game
4) Modding extends the lifespan of a game dramatically (Freelancer? Armada 2? Allegiance? Freespace 2?

I get that it's an IP Issue but a lot of developers actively encourage modding by building in tools to help with it. Is it a worry that random spergs are going to make a more autistic simulator than you and cost you money? Or did someone somewhere say something that rubbed you the wrong way, so you tore down a business deal as a result?

One of my favorite recent space games, Starsector, actively encourages modding, the developer helps instruct people on how to create them, and the game has gotten way more exposure and popular because there is about 10x mod content over what the base game brings to the table.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 3, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

sorla78 posted:

Also what happened with Dickwulfe? Does anyone know the reason why he has gone quiet on all this? Is he still heavily invested or did he cash out?
Kinda weird how he doesn't seem to desperately hit the spotlights anymore... or is the reason that he succeeded and is now counted part of the crew over at CIG LA and maybe turns up as the next marketing artist?

If there's one thing I am looking forward from this impending disaster, then it is to see all these community celebs getting burned.

My theory is that since he was trying to pay for acceptance/happiness, but was being mocked relentlessly by some people when he was public he has just retreated to some private furry organization or forum or chat that has enough people that treat him like a celebrity that the desperate hunger for attention that fuels him is satiated. It might be 20 people, or 100 people.

Basically that turd is stuck in the corner of an echo chamber where everyone is probably trying to rationalize more than one bad decision they've made. Fursuits not being the worst one.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I've been asked in PMs if I would actually post Derek's info once I cracked it (Since I said I would.)

I have since cracked it, and I am not touching this with a ten foot pole.

All the speculation in the world........

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Berious posted:

Agreed, I'm glad Derek Smart and a dying comedy forum will be written into the annals of gaming history with a fake game company that sells digital pictures of spaceships as their main source of income. The internet is a weird and hilarious place.

Wars will be fought. Entire Continents decimated in the year 3000 AD over whether or not Star Citizen was a scam or if Derek Smart was Lucifer holding humanity back from the 'verse

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
In response to people saying that Derek's code thing hyped us up for nothing, just like Chris Roberts, at least Derek didn't charge $15,000 for it.

Also a new theory I want to call is that Ben has some ridiculous salary.

It wouldn't come out until after this all collapses but when you see how they buy expensive cars, restaurant grade coffee machines, tens of thousands in airplane furniture and you hear stories of five figures in first class international flights and limited edition Porsche and mansions? Of course they would have nepotism like that.

Ben is Chris' biggest fanboy and he and his wife get jobs to literally do nothing and they both gain a million pounds directly afterwards? They are probably clearing like 10x the wage of some of the actual workers there. People with no willpower are being given enough money to eat unlimited amounts of whatever they want.

Like before he maybe couldn't eat pizza every five minutes and had to have a budget and couldn't get that disgusting but now he is pulling down like $14,000 a week and can eat literally anything and everything he wants whenever he wants.

I know people are speculating that it's the stress or the knowledge of what a scam this whole thing is that causing him to be unhealthy, but he is still a huge loving rear end in a top hat to everyone so I don't think there is any remorse or stress there.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I do like that in 10FTC Chris talks about things like making newer model year ships.

It's almost like wayyyyyy too late he realizes that creating a new ship and set of gameplay mechanics to go along with it for a sale is dumb and that he can just ctrl + C / ctrl + V up the four hornet variants for a new model year and have four new ships to sell much easier.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
atxsperg if things are obviously that lovely at CIG why aren't there more leakers?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

atxsperg posted:

very entertaining form the outside looking in. Would not want the ulcers being on the inside.

I'm curious of the lower level CIG employees perception of the fanatical community behind Star Citizen. I know Chris probably sees them as a meal ticket / ego boosting sycophants, but like what do regular normal workers think about the legion of cultists dropping down four and five figures?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sperglord posted:

Time for some :tinfoil: :

Between Anaboo, TGS, and the new poster from CIG who was engaged in suspiciously narrative softening posting, I am starting to wonder if CIG is engaged in a broadband narrative boosting campaign in forums. I don't have any hard evidence for it, just the confluence of different people saying that the "next months" will be awesome and that CIG should be largely excused of whatever it said.

Well as stupidly as they seem to be spending their money I wouldn't be surprised if they react to their lovely progress drying up funds by hiring an expensive PR firm and not actually, you know, doing something about the lovely progress.

"Captain, we just hit an iceberg and you want me to pose as a passenger and talk about how great the Titanic is? Shouldn't I call for an evacuation?"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Also on the topic of the Star Citizen PR Firm idea.

Of course they would be in this thread, this is the only real source of criticism that they have. I've read almost every Star Citizen article, news piece and blog for the past few years and if the article isn't a glowing review written by a cultist, it's entire comments section is filled with the extremely faithful that would die for Star Citizen. Sometimes going so far as to give out free game packages or ships to anyone who complains.

And that's not even the worst part. Even unrelated articles. Articles about space or even things on the economy, if anyone makes a crack about Star Citizen anywhere someone shows up like some kind of autistic genie to spew out the major talking points. Oh what's that someone joked in a NASA funding article that Star Citizen would pay for a mission to the moon? Here's a cultist with a referral code and a pamphlet of talking points.

You see how they moderate their own forums. Most of their internet presence is being vehemently defended for free by people trying to justify their own poor decisions.

Someone who has time really needs to compile screenshots of all the major cultist talking points and compile them into collages.

I don't know how many times I've read the exact same points from so many different people in so many different places. One instance of each point like "Open Development" or "You don't understand Game Development" or "It's in Alpha." The best one would probably be the 100+ different times development has supposedly started. The worst one would be the sad one where people try to justify it as a hobby and you read 100 people talking about how other people play golf or buy cars or get coin collections.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Randarkman posted:

They've gotten somewhat more careful about actually showing stuff since then.
The DFM reveal was a beautiful disaster, especially since it was the first we got to see of the gameplay and it was exactly as bad as we imagined it would be.

When did the Games thread turn around on Star Citizen? I seem to remember it still took a while as the dog thread was where alot of star citizen mocking took place around that time.

It was after the 42 million DFM reveal Video.

I used to lurk the dog thread specifically for Star Citizen mocking (which was almost non existent compared to retarded yokel stalking) but when that mock video came out I came over to games to check the thread and it was just a ton of dreaming and theory crafting. People were talking about using their cargo as a weapon to bludgeon boarders by performing High G maneuvers and slap fighting over the position of turrets.

Every now and then someone would come in and mock them but they were getting shut down at that point, so the dog thread was just quoting Games thread and including backer amounts from the spreadsheet.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

We're so goddamn close....

but I'm so goddamn tired.

I'll take "What Ben says to his wife during Sex" for $1000 Alex

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
In celebration of page 3000 I bring you absolutely nothing.

It didn't even cost $110,000,000

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

atxsperg posted:

some important people that refuse to move to la are keeping it open, QA and some IT stuff. if it wasn't for all of the attention on it it would have been shut down. in a way derek saved the office.

I don't have any specific questions, but actual insight on CIG is nearly nonexistent. Derek is cryptic as gently caress for legal reasons and EightAce (or however many people post under that name) are trying to survive ongoing mole hunts and keep their jobs.

Basically just post.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

atxsperg posted:

as i said before, the escapist articles are on point. if anything they go easy on them.

I get that Derek has legal reasons for being a tittering schoolgirl with his cryptic knowledge and EightAce are trying to protect their jobs, but I'm curious what keeps other ex disgruntled employees from just telling all basically?

Are you worried about a lawsuit? Or hurting your prospects with another job or something?

Cause I know I'd love it if someone just finally loving told what's been going on without the years long embargo on information. As a regular rear end in a top hat I just don't understand why the secrets have persisted this long.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Skellybones posted:

Does anyone have the quote by Humility (sad seal) where they said something like "I've felt hollow, like death all my life"?

It was posted recently when the person who told him to buy a constellation phoenix to cure his depression has done a 180 and is now disgruntled with the game, I just can't find it right now.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

MilesK posted:

So is SQ42 not going to have planets? Or you just can't land on any of them?

What do you even do other than have bad speeches thrown at you?

I think that's pretty much it.

I'm not being funny or anything. You saw the size of the script, they have four motion capture studios, the motion capture has rumored to cost tens of millions at this point. EightAce and others have dropped things like "Ten hours of cutscenes or more"

So it's really going to be an embarassingly long movie that is uncomfortably bad and you might get some ship flight missions every hour or two.

Basically if Freespace 2 had a two hour terrible cutscene before every mission, and then the space flight sucked too.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Derek do you have high blood pressure? I'm concerned.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I love these guys trying to cope.

"Squadron 42? Of course its almost done. Why wouldn't it be done. They said it was almost done. See? Here is where they said it was done. No way in hell are they basically still choosing what species of wood to build their house out of after 110,000,000 and 4 years 2 years -6 Months of Development"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

Pretty much these, it's like a bunch of 5 year olds screaming for ice cream NOW MUM NOW! jfc enjoy the ride kids.

This analogy might make sense if the mother was going

"Hey kids. There is really awesome ice cream. I know who sells it and where they are but I can't tell you yet"
"Hey kids, remember that really awesome ice cream. It's amazing. Just thought I'd tell you"
"Kids, you better remember who is going to be bringing you that ice cream, I've been telling you about it since last year"
"Kids are you almost ready for some ice cream? It's being made RIGHT NOW. IT'S DELICIOUS"
"This Ice Cream Kids. Oh my god. Just wait for it. No I won't tell you how far away we are."
"Kids, you better remember who is going to be bringing you that ice cream, I've been telling you about it since last year"
"Hey kids, remember that really awesome ice cream. It's amazing. Just thought I'd tell you"
"Kids are you almost ready for some ice cream? It's being made RIGHT NOW. IT'S DELICIOUS"
"This Ice Cream Will Change. YOUR. LIFE."
"This Ice Cream Kids. Oh my god. Just wait for it. No I won't tell you how far away we are."

"Kids it seems like you are angry you don't have Ice Cream. FINE gently caress YOU CHILDREN YOU DON'T GET ANYTHING"

There is a reason people are getting pissy about no new information. Maybe there is a reason? Maybe you can't blame anyone asking for things a little more substantial after all of this.....

D_Smart posted:

Events set in motion about two weeks ago, but which have been brewing since last year, have now sealed the fate of this project. It is unrecoverable. It is unavoidable. It is an E.L.E. And it is about time we as gamers, knew the truth.

D_Smart posted:

They're hosed.

The End.

D_Smart posted:

...and it's about to get a whole lot worse. Two weeks.

D_Smart posted:

They're hosed.

They know it.

I know it.

The Shitizens know it.

They ALL know that I know it.

D_Smart posted:

I know what you're talking about. All I can say is, as unpleasant as it is, that's the one big mistake that CIG could ever have made. My guess is they don't know it yet. They will.

D_Smart posted:

They will. I know things.

D_Smart posted:

And though I am under strict instructions to stop with the reveals since it just warns them, there is a LOT of poo poo that's gone on and which, once it comes to light, are going to prove 100% beyond a shadow of doubt, that they knew fully well that what they were doing was not in the interest of the project, let alone the backers.

Again, I'm going to say it. They're hosed. Star Citizen is never - ever - coming out.

D_Smart posted:

Yes. You were all warned. Wait, there's more to come. Two weeks.

D_Smart posted:

Anyone who thinks the Escapist article was a one-off thing, is in for a shock. Just wait. Two weeks.

D_Smart posted:

I have one in the wings actually. I was saving it for something big (no, as I've hinted before, I can't talk about it) which is yet to happen.

D_Smart posted:

Yes. They're hosed. Completely.

D_Smart posted:

Nevertheless, something big is still in the works.

Two weeks.

D_Smart posted:

You wait. The best is yet to come.

Two Weeks

D_Smart posted:

Oh, I have no doubt that it will backfire. Just wait. Two weeks.

D_Smart posted:

Don't worry. It will happen. I know things :)

D_Smart posted:

Besides, everyone's bracing for absolute bad news any day now. You heard it here first.

D_Smart posted:

From what I'm hearing, they're in serious crisis mode. Something big is going down.

More soon.

Two Weeks.

D_Smart posted:

I hinted at this weeks ago and again in the past 48hrs. Something big is going down; but I can't talk about it.

They're hosed.

It's happening.

Two Weeks.

D_Smart posted:

And my guess is that EightAce (and that JohnP0100 fellow on mmorpg) probably came (finally!) across the same info (which I've had for months) that I have been using to imply that they were low on cash.

Again. I stand firm on that analysis. They're low on cash. And what happened last week; is bound to be public very soon.

Two Weeks.

D_Smart posted:

It's worse.

D_Smart posted:

I am.

ps: you're a lot warmer than you could possibly imagine. Hang tight. Any day now.

D_Smart posted:

All I've said is that what's coming is a lot worse than anyone could have possibly envisioned. [/url]

D_Smart posted:

It's worse than that.

D_Smart posted:

1) Yes. It's the start of a catastrophic cascading doomsday effect that is going to start playing out effective now
2) Bang, definitely a bang
3) You, and all the Shitizens like you, deserve what just happened, and what's coming next. All of it

D_Smart posted:

But when I called it an E.L.E, that would imply DEFON 1 conditions. But even though both can be avoided/resolved depending on the situation, in this case, there is no such option. At all.

D_Smart posted:

I am going to say this again. Two very important things occurred today as a result of what happened these past two weeks with this project.

1) The news I spilled today

2) Erin's 10FTC statements

And that's just the beginning. Which is goes back to what I said this morning about it all going down now. That being, the path has been set. There is no going back.

D_Smart posted:

It's worse than that. If you can imagine that.

D_Smart posted:

Yup. hosed. The End.

D_Smart posted:

You were warned. On this day.

They're hosed. Two Weeks. The End.

D_Smart posted:

People can think what they want. It is of no consequence to me. We're firmly in End Times now and there is nothing - at all - that can save either SC or SQ42.

All we're going to be doing for the next 30-90 days, is rehashing the same poo poo; while loling at all the hilarious stuff that's coming.

They're hosed. The End.

D_Smart posted:

Don't worry. Just wait. Glorious times are coming.

D_Smart posted:

Goods time are ahead folks.

Two Weeks.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, they're have a loving bad week.

Wait for what comes next.

D_Smart posted:

There is no getting around it. It's an E.L.E.

And more stuff happened yesterday both here in the US and in the UK.

D_Smart posted:

The E.L.E, as it implies, is an event. Like all things controversial, I don't envision them announcing or even acknowledging it. Which is where I come in. :smug:

D_Smart posted:

That's because he recently found out the truth. I did warn him that they were being fed a load of bollocks and that my sources were solid. I didn't push it; because I knew that eventually, everything I reveal/opine, will come to pass. It's just a matter of time.

Right now, the E.L.E. is in full swing.

D_Smart posted:

Right now, the people responsible for the E.L.E playing out right now, are in Tier1 and are completely embroiled in it and will be 100% responsible for it; as they have been for the project being FUBAR.

D_Smart posted:

No. It's about the end of the project. And in, The End.

D_Smart posted:

Just wait.

D_Smart posted:

:agreed:

The E.L.E. is real. Wait.

D_Smart posted:

No. My guess is that Erin's probably told them what I know. Seriously, I simply can't say anything more about this. All I can say is, wait.

D_Smart posted:

....told you all to stay put. You are witnessing the beginning of The End Times.

Both Star Citizen (PU) and SQ42 are hosed.

The mPU, aside from things designed to make money, is in maintenance mode.

E.L.E. already in progress.

They're hosed.

The End.

D_Smart posted:

My comment has to do with the concept of NOT being able to say ANYTHING about an on-going events/op/action. That being the position THEY are in. I am in the same boat. And I said this (re: E.L.E) even BEFORE the AtV aired and everyone started speculating on the demeanor, body language etc of all three of them on camera.

D_Smart posted:

Man, they're in so much poo poo right now.

D_Smart posted:

When I wrote my first July 2015 blog, everyone also thought it was hot air.

Here we are.

The E.L.E is real.

D_Smart posted:

A combination of all the above - and other events - created the E.L.E.

I didn't run out of examples I got tired of copying them.

This isn't the boy who cried wolf. This is the Boy who broke into villagers houses at night, tied them up and gives an eight hour ponderous speech on what type of wolf will be coming and how he will tell them all about it when the time is right. He warned you back in July and he has now seen a wolf. Just wait.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

derek is one of the internet's biggest attention whores and boy do you guys sure like to fluff him up

My prediction: He doesn't know poo poo or what he does know is nowhere near as significant as he leads on, CIG will continue bumbling on for the rest of 2016 and Star Citizen will continue to be a complete and utter mess regardless of what The Smart says or does.

I have no reason to doubt Derek's knowledge.

but here's the thing

I knew Fallout 4 was coming out. I knew I wanted to play it. I didn't however have someone telling me nonstop, every day, about how awesome the game was going to be and to just wait for when they could finally tell me information about it.

They totally know what the perks are going to be but they can't tell me yet. Just wait closer to release.

They know how big the map is going to be and what kind of enemies we are going to see, but just wait closer to release.

They know the main story length and average playtime, but they can't tell me yet.

They know..........just wait

they know......just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait......They know..........just wait

Eventually I'm like "Man shut the gently caress up about Fallout"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

aleksendr posted:

CIG has created tons, probably in the petabyte range, of material. Trailers, brochures, concept art, preview art, ect. The problem is that the last 10% of any project take 90% of the time, and during that last 90%, Crobizzle change his mind or they get a few more M$ and then its back to square one.

My guess is that everything will be scooped up by a Chinese company in a few years and turned into a freemium cash grab.

I don't know why anyone would spend money on CIG assets, they have invested a lot of time and money into basically nothing. They have nothing working or playable and any actual game that would have to function would have to be built from scratch with a different engine.

Like if you went to an auction for a concept car that failed to be finished. And you find out the owner spent 50 times the cost of the actual car shooting commercials for it, paying artists to endlessly go over what it would look like and designing a road that was perfect for the car. You can get the guys work for 1/50th the price he spent on it but you still get a pile of assorted car parts and a bunch of drawings.

MAYBE you'll see one of those cellphone games where you either grind for a million years or pay $2000 to advance with the ships/theme of star citizen that someone buys for a million dollars or something but that would be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Not even that, really. Star Citizen is not a recognizable IP due to how uninspired and generic it is. There's no fleshed-out universe, no unique story, it's just complete unimaginative crap - a Chris Roberts special through-and-through. Maybe a card game so they can trade their JPEGS amongst themselves? The cultists might recognize pictures of their "ships".

The really valuable IP to come out of this shitshow is the Fourth Stimpire. That's where the real money is.

Yeah I'm not even sure why I suggested someone would want to buy the IP.

Hell even the cellphone games steal. Galaxy Online 3 is one of those pay to win cellphone strategy games and they pretty much stole all their ships from EVE online. So maybe cultists will see little 2d constellations in some hacked together cash grab and be able to pretend they got what they wanted all along.

• Locked thread