Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Needs a love story tbh. Save money and shoot all the 10000 hours of mo-cap romance using cattes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I get the feeling that SQ42 is going to make Spaceballs look like a documentary

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Toops posted:

Hey plebes, weekly dev update is up. Huge thanks to Jst0rm for the amazing sound design, and Eastdrom for some sick 3d asteroid modeling. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

I'm always looking for feedback, so please share yours.

I am actually in awe.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So... They increase the player cap to 24... And then... People notice less pirates are spawning... Hmmm... It's almost like they swapped out a few pirates for a few more players... so if they take out ALL the Pirates they might be able to raise the cap again!

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

They won't release the Idris because it would be a SQ42 spoiler - translation: we set the whole of SQ42 on a fooking Idris - if we released the ship we'd literally be releasing SQ42. Yes we are making GBS threads ourselves.

Typos

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

My Flash Gordon Tangent is incomplete without this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

Chris! PAAAAARP!! Mush-mouth of the Universe!
Chris! PAAAAARP!! He'll scam every one of us!

"Seemingly there no reason for these
Extraordinary development delays (LET ME loving FINISH!)
(Where is Star Marine, Chris?)
Only Dr. Derek Smart, Ph.D.,
Has provided any explanation."

Chris! PAAAAARP!! He's a thumb-head!
"This is a normal part of development,
everything is fine."

Chris! PAAAAARP!! Promises the Impossible!

He smokes every cannabis!
Sells to every one of us!
He'll scam with a grabby hand
Every man, every woman, every child
With a mumbly Chris!

"Peter Gabriel, Chris Roberts approaching."
"What do you mean, 'Chris Roberts approaching'?
Open fire, all shitposts!
Dispatch .jpeg Idris to bring back his body!"

Chris! PAAAAARP!! "Roberts got 109M?"
Chris! PAAAAARP!! He'll scam ev'ry one of us!
Just a man with a man's chutzpah
He knows nothing 'bout games
But he can never be failed
No one but the dumb in head
Can pay for autism chariots, ya woaoh did ehp
"Chris, Chris I love you!
But we need 14 more years to save the game!"

Chirs!!!

Chairs!! AAAAAAHHHH!
There's not enough of them!

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I like how he calls it a "living and breathing universe" as though this poo poo wasn't drowned face down in the water it's doing so little living or breathing.

Love the way they talk about SC in the present tense like it's totally got all these amazing features right now.

It's truly a religious experience living in the 'laxy.

Star 'Laxatives

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Sundowner posted:

seeing as I brought it up, and there doesn't seem to be a thread for it, has anyone played Evochron Legacy? What's it like? It looks like it actually offers more than Elite D currently does, and far more than Star Citizen will even by 2020... albeit with somewhat dated graphics but I don't really mind that because for one it would run on my now nearly dead PC :v:

It's really good - like a super version of Evochron Mercenary which I also loved and sank a lot of time into. The dev releases improvement patches on a daily basis and actually cares about making a decent game.

I like mining in Evochron and combined with making and selling stuff it's a great earner.

I play it on my laptop when I don't have a net connection (when online I play Elite as I love exploring).

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Just read a comment on the RSI forum that got me thinking. I suspect that having an in game showroom / shop to buy ships might spectacularly backfire on CIG for the following reasons:

1) anyone climb into or walk round any ship, not just people who have bought them and have them in hangar. It will basically make hangar-Pokemon redundant - why collect non-flying ships with real money when I can look at them (and not fly them) for free? Ship sales might dive

2) backers who have paid to fill their hangars will crack the shits because there is a nicer looking hangar with all the ships in / champagne / boob girls that everyone can hang out in for free?

3) everyone can see how janky the ships are before they spend industrial cubic dollar pounds on them

For these reason I really hope they implement the shop.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

trucutru posted:

No, you don't understand. The showroom is for ships that are in the concept phase. The in-game people will show you a JPEG of a JPEG. You're not getting into those babies until they are ready, in two weeks.

I'll piss myself laughing if they end up with a jpeg-inside-jpeg situation.

So what am I fcuking buying again...?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Things that are OK in SC backers world:

Selling bits of a game for hundreds of dollars on top of the price of the game
Splitting the game into 2 and selling it to you twice
Not actually making any progress on said games
Continuing to sell more bits of the games for hundreds of dollars
Releasing the jankiest tech demo since the Goat Simulator proof of concept
Imagining that this demo has the core tech of the best space sim, nay game, nay alternate life ever
Having several teams who obviously haven't got a loving clue what the others are doing - and then mismanaging / moving / sacking them until they are completely broken
Having no roadmap, plan or design documents
Having no delivery schedule aside from ship sales - oh yeah, they are all mapped out
Hiring all your family and friends - only one of which (Erin) has a slight clue what they are doing
Treating the crowd funded money as a personal slush fund
Running the most closed open development of all time
Choosing the absolute worst game engine and watching it die on its arse
Saying 'sales' when you want their money but 'pledges' when they want it back
Using gambling style 'hook' techniques to influence people to buy crap they can't really afford
Having a PU that is neither 'persistent' or 'universe'
Sending all concerns to a secret forum for a good hard trolling
Causing the toxicity to speak towards Elite, a genuinely good game that doesn't deserve to be the nemesis of this poo poo show
Reading and banning people for their private messages
10 year forum probations! GTFO

Ah I feel better now. As a gamer CIG has made me extremely angry :-)

I never wanted a company to fail before but I do with CIG - I love gaming and feel like these guys are pissing on all our cornflakes.
Very glad of this forum :-) thanks PGabz, GORF and all for the entertainment.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Might be late to the party here but I'm guessing that the ELE is: the FTC have finally opened a book on CIG and have served them with some kind of investigation notice.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Re: the Idris - at CIG, 'done' and 'completely hosed' are the same thing.

Like, 'stick a fork in it, it's done'

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Against all the odds, they just released SQ42. The text adventure.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Star Citizen is literally in my top 5 games of all time - It gives me LOLs every day guaranteed.

I can't believe the whole script was in the build. There's enough comedy material in there for WEEKS.

Just another clusterfuck day day at CIG.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

[Becca Farneway]: "She'll be excited to have you climb inside her...okay, that didn't come out right."

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I bet they are using the PU as the new base build for SQ42 - its now giving them another code control headache. They try and extract all the scripted stuff so they have something to deploy and they leave bits behind.

I bet the Idris is done but so full of scripted SQ42 stuff they can't release it. It's a flying movie set.

Which also means:

a) they have a single code base for both games. Colour me slightly impressed
b) both games are equally hosed

Gravity_Storm fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 1, 2016

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Not decoded any mysterious information but my complete guess is:

They have sold SQ42 and all assets to a publisher. This has obvious impacts to the PU of Star Citizen as they will basically have to start again or fold.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Actually maybe they sold the whole thing to a publisher and are going to walk away with money in their pockets and owning a mo-cap studio or two.

I'm trying to work out why the supposed code is giving people an 'anger' response and this is all I can come up with :-)

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Against my better judgement I'm going to spend an hour or two code breaking tonight - think I've figured out how it's done.

Hope it's real and spells doom for CIG.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So the whole ELE thing was bullshit then?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

10 for the Chairman: Episode 81
Apr 4, 2016 @ 30:36

Q: How will larger ships like the Idris be controlled by the player for flight?

A: So the plan for the big capital ships is, ah, much like what happens on, ah, a big seafaring ship in today's world, so, there's a HELMSMAN position, and the difference between the sort of bigger ships is that you'll have multiple... ahh... CREW STATIONS, multiple SEATS where people, you know, one person's just a HELM... one person's doing COMMS, the other person's doing WEAPONS, the other person's doing RADAR and potentially you have like a CAPTAIN'S SEAT and they're... giving INSTRUCTIONS to the various people manning the different SEATS, ahm, so... ah... I would say it's a bit more... uhm... you know... you be in... sort of... I don't know whether... there's cockpit style SEAT CONTROL because... potentially the interface (waves arms) for you controlling the ship is ALL DIFFERENT but it'll be very much like a... a HELMSMANS STATION on a sort of NAVY SHIP that you would see in today's world... and that's how we've set up the... ahhh... ahh...uhh... the IDRIS and how we're setting up the BENGAL and... and I would ASSUME THAT'LL BE THERE... there may be a MODE that we'll do because we've talked about several different kinds of MODES and one you know sort of like MOVING YOUR SHIP AROUND, uhm, you know and... cos... the BIG SHIP'S just sort of gonna be sort of SLOW like moving a SLOW... FERRY or TANK around, ah... there may be a MODE you can switch into were if you've got a certain kind of flight control system besides just... sort of manoeuvring the ENGINES and POSITION you know, STRAFE POSITION on your ship, you also kind have maybe some kind of a HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY, and you could CLICK and say, 'I want the ship to go to THIS area or THAT area', uhm, and then... the eye-eff... the... the... CAP SHIP version of IFCS tries to get you there and then you can... manually take it over and ADJUST the courses... so that's... that's kinda what we set up I mean JOHN PRITCHARD already has a TASK for him... which is sort of DO THAT second... second stage so... STAGE ONE of the CAP SHIP STUFF is sort of, the BIG MASSIVE SHIP HANDLING which... ahhhh... we're sort of in progress for, we need it for the STARFARER and then obviously the IDRIS afterwards... and then the second stage will be sort of a kind of a more GO TO positional... MODE that you can do were you could say, 'Ah! You know I wanna go... A HUNDRED METERS to this spot, a HUNDRED METERS AHEAD', and the system tries to mover you there.

Ahm... so you'll have those and you'll be able to switch between both of them.

Translation: I haven't got a frigging clue how any of this will work, but let me channel Star Trek for a second... Yeah... So Uhuru will sit at a radar of some kind, which will go Ping! Then, uhh Sulu will set the switches that go forwards and backwards, Scottie will be fixing poo poo somewhere and Kirk will just kind of stare impotently at a screen and shout at people. No role for Spock yet buy if we find a lucrative idea then you might see some kind of Spock module on the $ store.

We are trying to make the Idris handle like a ship right now which is pretty loving hard considering we are using an FPS engine from about 2005 but we have successfully disabled the Idris from bunny hopping and it no longer has actual hands.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Please tell me it won't be in loving code. Seriously if I see another string of code I'm going to buy Star Citizen on general principle.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I'm not feeling smart right now. If I go I I'm going to go large with the Wing Commander Rear Admiral Master Warlord pack.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Erin has quit, bought the Wing Commander license and joined Frontier.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is the ELE finally happening!?

Call me a party pooper but after the last few weeks I'm guessing not.

Yeah we all know CIG is screwed but I doubt that they are going to get wiped out by a huge comet or some kind of mutagen virus.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Treating this thread as a source of insightful analysis (GORF) or hilarious videos (PGabz) then it's all good.

As a source of leaks, insider info or prediction of imminent doom its credibility is fading fast :-)

It's becoming obvious that CIG is going to stagger on for quite some time yet. The longer they continue the better the chance of them delivering 'something' - and it might end up being enough to keep them out of jail.

In terms of evidence of imminent failure, we have jack poo poo.

Next time anyone is thinking of posting an explosive leak think 'is this really if value or is it just making us look collectively stupid?'

Ding my $0.02 ran out.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

be the bigger man Derek and let MoMA off the hook - he's an rear end in a top hat for stalking you but should just quietly piss off.

We know he's CIG so I suggest you leave it at that.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Got a feeling this thread is going to get shut down today, unless Derek can back away from the big red button. In case it's gone when I get off work thanks for all the laughs.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

D_Smart posted:

wait! wat!?! I dindo nuffin!

I get the feeling that buttons marked 'DANGER! Do not press!!' Hold a special attraction for you Derek ;-)

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Hmmm the guy at CIGs new doors is using a pass - wonder if that pass looks anything like the so called 'fake' CIG pass from the Escapist article..?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I got a warning over in MMORPG.com for joking that if Hitler got a job at CIG the backers would defend him. Accidental bullseye.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So if SC is a scam then it looks like Derek was right huh? So your problem with him sounds like it just doesn't add up.

PLUS Derek has nothing to do with the latest Ben debacle ironically.

You are here to shill for CIG, whether you work for them or not that is what you are doing.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

STIMSIS nothing you say makes sense. It's almost like you are trying to be clever but in reality you are being very obvious.

You're full of poo poo.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

STIMSIS posted:

CONTEXT AHEAD:

April 14th 2016: "So, to all you “media” who now want to talk, here is my response: F*CK YOU.”

TWO DAYS LATER

April 16th 2016: "I'm writing a blog. Then I'm going to send it over to @BreitbartNews and @BreitbartTech with everything wrapped up in a nice package.”

Why not send it over to the OP Derek? Why would he update Breitbart before the OP? And does anyone think Breitbart is really the place for all this info?

Because the OP is behind a paywall numbnuts, how can the rest of the world see it there??

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

STIMSIS is like a terrible undercover cop trying to integrate himself into a gang...

'Hi homies! Uh isn't crime great? I very much enjoy a spot of crime myself yo! Oh by the way you have a gang member who is not a great person - he was seen talking to a guy that people say bad things about!' Hah but don't mind me lets talk about crime and stuff! Anyone fancy smoking a syringe of coke??'

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

stinch posted:

The making of star citzen is going to be amazing.

Kiefer Sutherland will play the heroic fireman that tries to save the CIG office when it mysteriously burned to the ground taking with it all their code. Oh sorry <spoiler!> that's Season 2

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

I know nothing about videogame development or programming (and no, I'm not working for CIG), so if CIG shut down tomorrow would shitizens be able to carry on playing?

Currently yeah but only because you can hack the install to play locally with no other players.

BTW I also collect Transformers and have both Sideswipe and Sunstreaker from G1... Guessing that's where your name is from :-)

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

It's old news but Dick Wulf sent someone on the CIG forums a picture of his dick. He is literally a 'dick wolf'. Fair play IMO he warned you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Kimsemus posted:

Hello friends of the SC thread, I've been gone a whole day, has :lesnick: been fired yet?

Nooo and to be honest it seems that we may have been doing Ben a favour by revealing his attraction / extensive wank collection to his stalker target. What if she falls in love??

• Locked thread