Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

There are no visibility problems, you just don't understand the advantages of Chris Robert's groundbreaking 3840x216 resolution technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

They keep pushing the "It's an Alpha!" line, but here's the thing - people are not new to Alphas. The cultists trumpet this viewpoint as if SC is the first ever game to allow plebs to peer behind the curtain and see a game at this stage of development, but that's a bunch of bullshit. People today have access to pre-alphas, alphas, betas, poo poo even really early access titles that have almost no content at all. And in every case, except Star Citizen, you can see that even if the game is buggy, or featureless, that underneath it is an engine that will eventually be built and polished into a completed game.

Star Citizen is the only alpha title I've ever experienced where minutes into the "game" I was able to say, with considerable confidence, "Nope. This isn't gonna work." You can tell from a million things that this foundation is literally crumbling under its own weight, and even the few parts that work, don't really work the way they should. It's broken on a very fundamental level, and no amount of bugfixes will ever result in what they're pitching. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 - all poo poo. I'm glad to see that CIG can count, but they sure as poo poo can't make a game.

It's not an alpha. If it were an alpha you'd think basic tech like 'can support the desired number of people simultaneously' would be in place by now. By my reckoning it's probably a prototype of the local physics grid, and I'd guess the team that made it showed it to Chris and he's completely clueless about what a prototype is so he just gives the orders to go ahead and start dumping finished assets in it and release it as an alpha, and they couldn't or wouldn't convince him otherwise. On a prototype, you leave all kinds of poo poo unfinished and hacked-together because it's not part of the thing that you're prototyping and that's fine unless some idiot comes along and insists the prototype looks OK to them so it must be ready for alpha. And then you're doomed to have hacks upon hacks upon hacks and you can't fix the hacks later because it breaks the hacks on the hacks that aren't currently broken. That's the kind of thing that explains how you can have $100M, hire coders who must be mostly competent, and yet end up releasing broken dog poo poo.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The Starfarer walk-though is wonderful.

They approach stairs with trepidation, knowing they will almost certainly fall through them. Standards should probably dictate that if you're pretty certain you'll fall through the stairs during your walk-through, you aren't ready for a walk-through, but they're either so desperate for a funding bump or so used to working with broken poo poo that we're doing a walk-through anyway.

And they do fall through the stairs. They fall through geometry at least five times in under half an hour spent inside the ship. At one point, one of them mumbles "this was good yesterday" and another one tries to explain how there's a new build out so of course everything is broken again. They also seem to get snagged on invisible geometry several times.

They come up to a row of identical non-functional seats, and explain how they're waiting for new systems coming soon will let them paste down repeated seats that actually function which will be a huge improvement because currently seats aren't placeable objects, they are bespoke made extensions of the exterior hull which requires "lots of duplicate work".

Several times they also get lost in the samey grey corridors and have to pause to work out where they are.

One of them asks "why does it have a spoiler?" and is told it's because it makes it go faster.

They talk about how they've had difficulties placing ladders because all ladders had to be mounted from top because only that animation exists but someone's making an animation for getting onto a ladder from the side so now they'll be allowed to place ladders where you get on them from the side, which speaks of a chaotic process where no one knows what animations are required and everyone has to do piecemeal hack work around the chaos.

The captain's chair (currently non-existent because chairs are too hard) is so far back and the window is so tiny that the captain will enjoy unprecedentedly poo poo visibility even for this game's horribly poo poo visibility.

It is very Star Citizen.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

eXXon posted:

Ok, it makes sense for art assets, since they seem to have completely redone the Blade in the last year even though the renderings from last year looked better, ironically. But is Chris Roberts really constantly redesigning and unapproving the specs for the netcode and the janky physics and clipping/collision detection and usable chairs?

If you build a house on no foundations, you'll spend all your time repairing the walls and roof and it won't be because you decided to want to keep doing that, it's just a natural consequence of your earlier decision.

They've taken an engine that was never really designed for the task they're using it for and was kinda difficult to use even for what it was supposed to do and on top of that they've crammed in ambitious new tech (localized physics grids!) on a schedule set by a guy who makes ridiculous feature promises that clearly show he has no idea of the scale of any of these undertakings. This will almost certainly push a lot of jank into your codebase even if you have the best of coders. And once you start putting enough jank in everything you do breaks other things unpredictably and you constantly need to redo those broken things and even if you wanted to go back and fix this thing or that thing there are now a whole bunch of hacky workarounds that would break because they were made a certain way to work with the initial hackjob and your boss won't let you redo that much stuff because deadlines so the only choice is to pile another hacky workaround on top. And soon the whole edifice is an exercise in shoveling poo poo up a steep hill and even whole teams of competent coders will produce next to nothing.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMwKD-qR2U&t=203s

WTF are these and why did they suddenly appear?

Jesus what is with Roberts and pointless vision obstructions.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Daztek posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323094/once-the-game-launches-will-people-want-toilets-removed

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON SHOWERING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

NPC Daily Routines CONFIRMED

This thread is pretty good

:psyduck: Some of them seem genuinely convinced there will be pooping related gameplay mechanics and dynamic AI making GBS threads behavior. Because how could any game be immersive without pooping mechanics? IMPOSSIBLE. We can only hope Chris will deliver high fidelity toilet clogging and unclogging dynamics and a dedicated plumbing and septic tank poo poo for true fans of space toiletry.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I try to understand other perspectives, but it's like my brain just balks at even conceiving of spending thousands of dollars on something that doesn't exist yet, is only vague promises and there's little to no practical recourse if the vague promises don't come to fruition.

And I'm talking about anything, let alone a goddamn videogame, let alone one that's vague or incoherent or ambitious to the point of ridiculousness, massively scope creeped, led by a mumbling idiot with a dubious record, consuming an endlessly increasing budget and delivering mostly jank that only reveals they're falling into the software doom spiral where anything they do breaks old things and old broken things are almost never permanently fixed.

It's like some people just congenitally lack a mental immune system against terrible ideas, and it feels like nothing I could say would reach them because I'd be trying to appeal to a part of their brain that they just plain lack.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

Ask your physicist/not dumb friends to explain that one from a realism standpoint.

They haven't figured out a technology/aesthetic standard. It's all over the loving place and based on Wing Commander science where everyone goes quiet on spaceships (even the bulldozer driver) while the enemy tries to find you with depth charges.

That must be the cocktail mixing ship, it's the only way it makes sense.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

The commandos keep saying I have an altered cfg file, what is this all about, anyone know?

So they think you altering a cfg file would cause other people to be unable to leave the stupid buggy space station physics grid? :allears:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I come from the past to say STOP POSTING ABOUT ANIME YOU FUCKFACES :argh:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

kirsus posted:

Also in Star Traders news, I've sent jamga, the artist of the TIE Fighter Pilot a note on Facebook and got this in response:

I've sent a few messages to other people as well, but the only other response I got was this:

God's work commando.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

I've been skipping a few pages back, just clear this up for me did something actually happen to cause this posting spree or is it just Uncle Derek stirring the pot and cackling manically?

The second thing.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Scathach posted:

Well.

I think my Steam name is Neromycah, but I'm having login issues right now.

Your enormous catte will be the doom of us all.

e: you fixed it! All is well and good.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 29, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Skellybones posted:

I tried upgrading it but something went wrong

Oh poo poo I'm dying here, this loving thread. :five:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

CIG Q&As are all like "Will you do this insanely complex idea I just dreamed up?" "Yes! And it will be more insane and complex that even your wildest dreams!" "Will this basic, fundamental feature be done anytime soon" "uhh ask again indefinitely later"

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Toops posted:

Hey if anyone has a bit of spare time, I'm in need of ship concept art for the three races for Solar Plebeian. The working idea is each race has their own variants of the same ship classes. Below is my wish list. The idea of having 15 different original, fully modeled ships is overly ambitious, and I just need one class per race for what I'm calling the "Alpha 0.1.0 vertical slice".

But the concept art for as much as possible will help arrive at a theme. Although I'm a visual person, I'm not visually creative (if that makes sense). If I try to do it, I'll just end up Archering it. So mainly I'm looking for consistent themes for the three races.

Races:
- Goonrathi
- Sperg
- Stimpire

Classes:
- Scout
- Fighter
- Corvette
- Cruiser
- Capital

Any ideas/artwork, whether serious or not, would be either helpful or funny.

Obviously the Sperg capital ship should literally fill 90% of the arena and stop anything else from actually spawning, as befits the PTU's actual instance limits. The other sperg ships could be modeled after ridiculous whale dream professions. For example the scout would obviously correspond to the Space Farmer, and it would have a suitably tiny space farming dome complete with single shrub. Probably best if it left a trail of miscellaneous fruit as it flew around.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Hahahah. Twenty seconds of handpicked pre-recorded footage to show of their AI collision detection, and their footage immediately starts with a guy running into a pillar, a guy running into a railing, another guy running into a pillar and then not long after a guy getting stuck on nothing, spazzing a little and then turning around. They could record as much footage as they needed and pick the best, and this what they went with :stare:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

RuckusRouser posted:

I actually forgot about that dumb WC cross. Keep in mind he wore it to his wedding:

In a way I think the cross thing is most telling. It didn't exist at all in ANY of the games, it was invented only for the lovely movie plot. Then, on one of the most important days of this guy's life, he made sure to wear a replica of that prop, simply because Chris Roberts directed it. If that is not a form of religious devotion, I don't know what is.

And for his faith, he was rewarded with a job where he can count Wing Commander disks all day and nobody cares. God is real.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Melanion posted:

With everyone talking about the code, and the stories of space games, and coffee, and life in general...I'm in sort of a search-for-meaning mood. To that end I'm sharing a poignant moment from one of my favourite comics.

Oh, and here's the source 'cause I'm not a loving leech.
P.S. I am right at that I LUUUURVE YOU GUYYYYYYS level of intoxicated right now. This thread has yielded some loving giggles, so cheers to you all. :beerpal:

P.P.S. Goddamnit it SMBC is one of those comics where I forget it's daily and end up binging through 30 of the newest ones at a time.

e: Nobody saw that.

Actual source

e: oh you fixed it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

If anyone here genuinely thought cryptic messages of ELE's that lawyers forbid speak off appearing on or about the 1st of April would amount to anything, send me a message I have jpegs to sell you.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Eonwe posted:

how much

Basic starter packs of jpegs of CIG running out of money can be had for $45, but discerning goons will want the limited edition exotic 'Sandi's illegal prostitution ring busted, CIG heads arrested!' ELE jpegs, a mere $300 considering they will certainly triple in price once the extinction level event is released to kickstarter backers.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

3000 pages is okay I guess

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Oh god not again, close the thread, quick, close it now

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

AP posted:

I think he said he put you on ignore.

Meanwhile at CIG.

Is this the mocapping I've heard so much about?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I fully support Chris Roberts and CIG, in that any half-functioning adult dumb enough to spend a significant amount of real actual money on videogame magic beans deserves to see it all wasted. Not everyone would do the right and just thing and incompetently fritter all the stupid nerd money away on broken stupid poo poo, but Chris Roberts is doing is his duty and I salute him for it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The end credits starring himself directed by himself :downsbravo:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

$140 for a ship that doesn't exist yet for a purpose that doesn't exist yet for a game that is 95% non existent yet and 5% crap and has already raised far more funds that were supposedly needed and shitizens genuinely think big publishers are greedy. There isn''t enough :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: in the world.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Remember when $2.50 horse armor was considered a noteworthy example of charging money for overpriced useless videogame bullshit. How quaint is that now?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

:dogbutton:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Yes, let's do spiders.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I hesitate to say this, but since I consider you all close personal friends - I really hate spiders.

That being said, carry on with the spiderposts.

Awww she's a beautiful big old gal. Fact: bees are more dangerous than spiders.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Shitpost hard, friends. We must make several pages distance away from Ben Lesnick's poor life choices before the sadness overwhelms us.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Ravachol posted:

True story time. I might have been fired today.

So today at work I was doing a typical white techbro thing (cleaning the beer lines on our kegerators) and I got frustrated with the shallowness of the small glass bowl I was using to mix my beer line cleaner. So I browsed around and found an unused recycling bin and decided to use it as a bucket. I go into the microkitchen, but realize I'm retarded and there's no way I can fill this up in the sink because its too tall. Now, I KNOW there's a full shower downstairs I can use to fill this thing properly, but I'm as stubborn as I am stupid, so I decided "gently caress it, I'll just take two cups and trade off fillin' and dumpin' them into the bucket." So there I am, blooshin' away with my cups of hot water into a recycling bin in the middle of the most social area of the office, and people keep staring at me. Some girl walks in and gives me a particularly odd look, so I explain to her "Hey look - I'm just trying to clean some keg lines. I need a bucket full of water, so I'm using these cups to fill the bucket." She looks at me strangely for a moment, before laughing and saying "Hahaha how INNOVATIVE!" - without a hint of irony.

In the span of a single moment I was triggered. Flashes of design documents about CIG's "Zone System" flashed through across my vision. Images of needless crowd-funded star trek doors, Ben's devious visage licking his cracked lips at the chance of announcing another concept ship, and "Error 0 Disconnect" dialogue boxes consumed my sight. Reeling from the horrific and sudden onslaught, I momentarily seized and knocked over my bucket of hot water - sending its sudzy contents spilling across the floor in full view of my director and VP. Like a deer in headlights, I had to come up with SOMETHING, so I said "OH GOD CHRIST ROBERTS MADE ME DO IT- I'll FILE A TICKET TO GET IT CLEANED UP" and ran out the MK.

I don't think I'm coming into work on monday.

:golfclap:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Star Citizen: For broken humans, by broken humans :dogbutton:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

So Derek Smart once did a show with guy who might be a racist but not a publicly-keeps-a-collection-of-their-own-racist-"jokes"-on-their-own-website-level-racist so that makes Derek Smart the real racist here by proxy racist cooties I guess, and this is your apologetic for the guy with friend of the family jokes on his website. Tell us about your crippling brain injury :allears:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Come back MoMA, tell us about your lovely belts or something. You seem like such a good poster now.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

STIMSIS posted:

I'm not an apologetic for Ben Lesnick by any means. Ben Lesnick should get everything that's coming to him. The scam that is Star Citizen is gonna collapse on him the hardest because his whole life is built around Wing Commander. But I don't like that Ben Lesnick is being called out for racism while Derek gets a free pass. It's stupid to me and I wanted to call that out. But now I'm a racist somehow. wtf....

Derek gets a "free pass" because Derek doesn't collate friend of the family jokes on his website you cretin.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Who pays 10 bucks to post this poo poo? :iiam:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Breetai posted:

Hey fellow Adelaide Goon!

Queenslanders are the valley girls of Australia, exaggerated high rising terminal and everything.

What the Christ how many other Adelaide goons are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Sandi pays me $150 a day to read the thread. I secretly outsource it to SurfaceDetail and pocket the difference. Then I read the thread anyway.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 18, 2016

• Locked thread