Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Lackadaisical Phraseologist

quote:

"You can’t build a castle in the same time you would a wood shed no matter how much money or how many people you have." -CR

We should run a KS campaign to disprove this statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Just want to give my thanks to Derek for his shenanigans archive thread and to Gorf for providing the sheer mass of information and analysis thereof that the thread links to.

I can now follow this thread with a modicum of understanding. The origin of the term Stimpire still eludes me though, is it simply referencing the eeeediocy of the spergs?

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Long story short is some 14 year old (or who knows, 30 something cheeto stuffing monster) under the name "Zealot" posted the Stimpire lore in the "Fan Fiction" site on the official RSI forums.

Cheers for that, I'd assumed it originated on the SA forums and wasn't something I'd find with google.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

*Reads through Beer and Sandi's exchange with a nice cup of tea*

Apologies for dredging up the past, but this is all new and exciting to me. Watching Sandi's replies disintegrate into fragmented psychobabble is just the sweetest kind of schadenfreude.

There should be a goon propaganda video of a one-sided space battle where the winning side is hammering the loser's shields with Beer's well thought-out prose.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Hav posted:

They just sent out an identical backer email.

Edit:
Also not doxing, but this is the entity that backers have a business relationship with. Accept no substitutes, nor shells.

Exposition Blvd, eh? :gary:

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Propagandist posted:

Man you're still in stage 2 of grief: :argh:

People are just fuckin' stupid, and want to throw money at a real life replacement. People spend tons of money on pointless poo poo all the time.

Like a $3000 night in Vegas.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Googled 'wanton'

It's not an accurate description for people who've been shilled and are understandably upset.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Sum Mors posted:

This is what they've been sending people lately who are trying to get refunds. It's full of :qq:

Fake edit: dear god this picture is big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

Pgabz

You know what to do commando o9

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 14, 2016

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

goons, I hosed up again. I bought cute boots instead of buying a JPEG of a spaceship*

*some spaceship JPEGs TBD. Concept art and written material is no guarantee your JPEG will arrive with pictured and described features.

You claim to have boycotted JPEGs for boots, and then back up these outrageous claims with yet more JPEGs?!

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

It turns out providing a JPEG is relatively cost free.

Gadzukes, I've been had!

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Vainglorified.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

XK posted:

Salt hasn't been shown to be of any risk to anyone who doesn't already have health issues.

Apart from being loving awful in excessive amounts. Shits me to tears when they oversalt fries.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Chocobo posted:

I guess what I was getting at is Chris Roberts is bad.

/Thread

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

5555 snoiped for the gently caress of it.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

No Man's Sky VS. Star Citizen - Avoiding the Teeth of the Hype Machine at Gamescom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzP6YjZ6Drc

The point he makes about the lifts (elevators) is a good'n. It'd be the WoW zeppelins all over again, with the added irritant of players who'd deliberately hold it up.

That said, I've heard stories of bands of players killing the zeppelin NPCs off and denying passage to other players. I guess grief finds a way.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

My fiverate vegetable is judge dredd dipped in golden manbabies.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?miVoe7U6Lx4

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 15, 2016

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Marco!

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Day late, a dollar short.

You promised me fifty cars, not forty-nine-and-a-half

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

thatguy posted:

"No it's spelled wrong on purpose."

"It's part of the 'Human Error' portion of our patented Immersion EngineTM"

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm pretty sure he shares it with every friend he's got

I feel horrible le that this was the first thing I truly laughed at in this thread.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Chris plugs Dual Universe :confused:

So what kind of escape hatch is this? Are they shutting SC down, camouflaged as "merging" the games? Or will they pull a yogsventures and give their backers a dual universe key when they shut SC down? :tinfoil:

quote:

Novaquark, is aiming to do something massive: create a single-shard, persistent universe that won’t just be played… it will be inhabited.

How vague...

quote:

The preliminary work they’ve done looks fantastic, and I think it has the potential to be truly outstanding.

Thank you for the recommendation, O Paragon of Credibility.

quote:

Dual Universe is a perfect example of why crowdfunding is important. It’s something big and bold that I am pretty sure a traditional publisher wouldn’t feel comfortable greenlighting.

What could possibly compel successful publishers to not throw their hard-earned cash at something they feel has a low chance of commercial success?

quote:

There is certainly quite a few similarities between what Dual Universe and Star Citizen are both aiming to achieve, but that’s not a bad thing! Space games are not a zero sum game. Different games, even with similar feature sets can have wildly different sensibilities and play experiences.

Indeed so. Elite has much the same goals as Star Citizen, and it has far more sensibility and play experience.

quote:

It’s a great time for space games, and I look forward to welcoming Dual Universe to the growing brotherhood.

#NOTACULT

Maine-based racial slur catte:

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

*pocket protector grows moist with nerd sweat*

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Good grief, the whole exchange past the refund of his original pledge reads like a dumped bf emailing his ex

E: Figured this needed further exploration

"RSI/CIG... I think we're moving too fast. Please don't take this the wrong way, I still love you and support you. I just don't think rushing into things would be good for me at this point. Let me just make this clear: I'm not breaking up with you."

"But I rely on you so much, how can you possibly be so selfish? I thought you loved me, Citizen..."

"You're not listening to me, I'm not giving up on us. I simply want to pace our relationship such that we don't burn ourselves out. Going full burn right now could just damage our chances."

"Oh... Okay then. I understand, I do. I'm willing to take it slow for now."

Some time later...

"Citizen, we're finished. I hope you're happy with that Frontier bitch."

"What? No! I only wanted to slow down! This isn't what I wanted at all, why are you doing this?"

"You've made it clear that you're not willing to give 110% of your income to save our relationship. I don't think I can be with someone as uncommitted to us as you seem to be."

"But I am committed! I told you as much beforehand! You're doing this just to spite me! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!"

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 16, 2016

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

They couldn't help it, they have a mental disorder that makes them obsessive and impulsive.

It's going around.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

PoorMoralCompass posted:

If Dr Smart were a bond villian what would the move be called?

The Spy Who Let Me loving Finish

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Goonraker
Dr. No Refunds

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Ben Lesnick and The Goblet of Gravy

E: Ben Lesnick and The Goblet of Fries

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 16, 2016

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

From China With LTI
JPEGs Are Forever

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

starkebn posted:

All the best content creators have left the thread (G0RF, that guy photoshopping the paintings, Solar Plebian guy) or have just shut down (PGabz)

drat, I started following mostly for more of Gorf's posts. Any idea why they left?

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Well, I hope for the thread's sake that GORF is not permanently done with it. I for one appreciate the effort put into his effort posts, as I suspect do many others.

P.S. The Sperg Who Lynched Me

P.P.S. Hate to put him in as an afterthought, because he's certainly not, but Pgabz needs a mention too. My recent marathon of his entire channel led me here, and the perfect imperfection of his videos had me in stitches over and again.

I could gush all loving day, but bottom line; Thanks Pgabz.

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 16, 2016

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Tippis posted:

I also find it fascinating that it still hasn't occurred to them that, even if refunded and banned and whathaveyou now, if all their dreams come true, the apostates will be back. After all, assuming the game is released, anyone can just buy an account and a bunch of ships and start playing. They still seem to live under the illusion that being a backer will somehow afford them something special over the supposed late-comers, even though CIG has made it pretty clear by now that they'll continue doing the exact same thing to keep the money rolling in.

I bought a rear admiral package back in 2014, so I'm more of a small space porpoise than an actual whale, but I've a pledge all the same.

I don't have any illusions about how bad this is going to tank. It's circling the bowl and I'm sitting on the rim, content to watch it swirl while throwing the odd shitpost in with it.

But I'm not getting a refund.

Now, I wanna give non-retarded reasons for doing this, but I really can't. I keep trying to think up lucid explanations for why I don't want my ~300aud back, but I can't. Not honestly.

It's probably a lot to do with the illusion of being special that you mentioned, but it feels more like (if the game did actually succeed) the effort of getting a refund and then convincing myself to buy it again later just wouldn't be worth it.

So yeah, three hundred dollar convenience. I'm a retard. Just thought I'd back up your point.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

sometimes i feel that if i send off an email asking for my $300 back i just wouldn't be bothered to press 'buy' and then 'download' on my computer screen in some parallel dimension where this poo poo heap gets released and is worth playing.

that's some sad-act reasoning you got going on in your brain there fella

I know it, mate.

E: I hadn't clarified that I find it difficult to commit funds to leisure. The effort to convince myself would be the issue. I'd rather just keep on keeping on. Status quo something something.

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 16, 2016

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

Use your purchase to grief whales. That might be worth $300.

I had considered this. If I can overcome their "patcher" without it breaking as frequently as it did in 2014 (every single loving godawful time) I'll definitely get on it.

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 16, 2016

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Therapy is for people who want to change. I've come to terms with my inadequacy.

Raskolnikov posted:

Can I get a loan? I've recently been making some expensive personal purchases, I promise I will pay you back someday. Really.

Screen and boots are amazing. The screen needed some calibration but it's ~a whole new world~

I'll need some pretty JPEGs as collateral.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

shut up and hand me your wallet loser

Yes, sir. Very good, sir.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

I kinda want someone with a minimum package to register a guild called "B'Tak Griefers" and make one post on the brown sea, then do literally nothing else in the game or on the forums to see what happens.

I could do this, but I'll need some background on who is and what happened with B'Tak

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

HycoCam posted:

Don't worry. You're not retarded. English is pretty tough for me, but after a bit of Googling I think the word you are looking for is lazy.

Actually yes, spot on. Good show. An English is you.

My word that's a lot of fear for one man. I'll make an org to keep him up at night at some point, but can't get to my pc right now.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

This is rich. All of these spoiled babbies, spoon-fed with Publisher gruel, think they know better than CIG what the game "should" be. Now I'm triggered

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Kephael posted:

How can you even download the massive patches in Australia? Citizen, GET A REFUND!.

Unlimited data and a level of patience I've no doubt some would say borders on stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

$300 would get you a pretty drat awesome flight sim setup - FSX with a few tasty addons, Activesky have just released their latest weather software, you could even go for Prepar3d, the Lockheed Martin version of FSX, with updated engine, lighting and more FPS...

If you have a rig capable of running SC and you already have a flight stick you could have a full on, grade A flight sim running on it within a day. It will look amazing and run like butter.

Hell, you can even run FSX/Prepar3d in VR these days, using a bit of third party software!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJ7flnVH5k

Not only would you have literal YEARS of engaging, challenging and FUN flying, with a ton of learning that applies to the real world and awesome and helpful communities, but your money will be supporting some of the most passionate, dedicated and talented developers on the planet.

If it's immersion and realism you want from your gaming you actually owe it to yourself to dive into a flight sim at least once in your gaming career. Flying online in busy airspaces with other sim pilots and live air traffic control, joining a virtual airline, all of this awaits you, your inner geek will thank you and will be glad of it.

Do it.

Does it come with an immersion ladder?

• Locked thread