Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Ben is going to be big in Japan.

Ben's loving huge everywhere...

Oh, and hello everyone. Been lurking for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

eXXon posted:

Speaking of other things that are much better than anything Chris Roberts had ever done, I watched the first season of the Expanse and it was pretty great. Gripping (if not terribly original) plot, well-thought out setting, memorable characters, good visuals and music and distinctive designs (for the budget anyway). I haven't read the books but I read some other things by Daniel Abraham and he seems to be a talented writer.

Now imagine if someone got $130 million to make a hard sci Fi game but hired competent managers, developers, artists and writers. It could be an Expanse game with a fancy flight model and a single player component with an engaging main quest and tragicomic side quests, like the Witcher 4: In Space. Instead, Chris Roberts, developer and producer extra-ordinary, is producing some hoorah third rate space Roman Tom Clancy wannabe poo poo. Actually who's a good comparable for what SQ42 is supposed to be - some hack churning out US military thrillers twice per year? I can't think of names off the top of my head.

Most of the Expanse setting and backstory was originally developed by Ty Franck for a failed MMO (so failed, it was never even announced), and he then used it as the setting for some tabletop RPG games he ran, which is where Daniel Abraham encountered it and suggested they write some books together in that setting.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Tippis posted:

Nah, that guy is a twat.

Sadly all too true...

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

orcinus posted:

So you do realize that this will look like poo poo from 1st person, because the lack of parallax will make them look quite obviously like a flat texture, right?
And that this is not how things are normally done?

That trick also flat out fails completely in VR.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

They already made their internal schedules public. What more could you possibly want? Not open development unless CIG mails their entire project plan to your front door?

And you actually believe that? Looked more like something knocked up in 30 seconds in MS Project to keep the naysayers quiet to me.

Incidentally, unless 2.6 goes to the Avocados today then they've already slipped on their internal schedule less than a week after mak^H^H^Hshowing it.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Open Whaling Frequencies

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Rudager posted:

Why does a site doing news have a "Director of Fiction"?

I guess they model themselves on Fox News...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/superfrog-hd-ps3/

• Locked thread