Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
This is gonna be a great tell-all book in 15 years. Why can't it be 15 years from now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Inacio posted:

I know a person that got 2.0 access.

He legitimately believes that this game will release next year.

He spent almost $200 so far.

I feel so bad for him. What do I do? :eng99:

Find out if Anarchy Online is still running and gift him a subscription to it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Remember everybody, it's not a cult. You just send your seed offering to the charismatic man, and you get back.. salvation and more wealth than you ever could have dreamed of eventually. When I tell my friends about this concept they perceive red flags like paying money while receiving very little in return except ever-expanding promises. I just don't get it! How could this possibly be a cult, you guys in this insular online community where we talk understand what I'm saying right!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

doctor iono posted:

"We are both addictions counselors in real life"

:eyepop:

This isn't really that :psyduck: when you consider that addictions counselors are very often former addicts. Yeah, there are addictions counselors that weren't addicts themselves, but usually if someone is an addictions counselor it means they were an addict at one time.

That's not really meant as a knock against them since being a former addict gives them quite a bit of empathy and understanding of what their patients are actually thinking. However, his post here is filled with rationalizations for his behavior, and this kind of compulsive spending is probably something he needs to discuss with his sponsor.

It seems like he's still trying to cling to the hope that maybe he's not down a deep dark hole right now, and so therefore it's cool guys he's got it under control.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 27, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

If he is addicted to buying jpegs I question his 'former' status

If you've kicked one addiction it's really easy to land yourself with an addiction of a different kind if you don't pay attention to poo poo like this. JPEG's don't get him high or have negative health consequences so he can pretend it's not a problem. Like I said, he needs to discuss this with his sponsor. Dear god I hope he still has a sponsor and that his sponsor is not his wife.

peter gabriel posted:

It started with text files, just now and again after work, to chill out you know? No big deal, everyone did a text file to unwind. Then one day this guy turns up with some html, yeah I tried it, man, it was intense. I needed more after that. Then I guess it's the usual tale, php files, rich text, all the usual.

The biggest regret of my life? Moving onto the hard stuff, the image files. I went heavy on the gifs for a while, what a rush, I felt so goddamn animated on those. Then pngs, my wife could see right through me by this point, but it was too late. Now I'm on multiple jpegs a month, my life is ruined, an artifact of what it once was.

I love you.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Toops posted:

I'll give you this: They have some talented people in art. No doubt. They recently hired some UI talent as well. I know you know all the following, just saying: Their animation team is terrible, which has driven a lot of the delays in FPS. We all know Croberts makes them go back and re-do everything like weekly, but part of being a good team is being able to manage your managers' terrible ideas. And don't get me started on their game programmers. That player controller is beyond amateur. The sheer volume of crashes, the complete failure to wrangle the netcode they've been citing as a blocker for almost a year, the horrid flight model... Hell, the fact that you have to download like 20 GB every time they fix a bug in the client... all this is evidence of terrible design, architecture, and execution. Everytime I watch homeboy "smash" a bug with 150 lines of nested if statements I think, Star Citizen: Programmers need not apply.

At this point, I don't see any way that they can glue together the shiny assets into a game that will be playable. All you have to do (which I know you've done, I'm speaking more to the general reader) is stop and think for 1 minute about how delicately they will have to balance the economy. Then look at AC 2.0 footage and understand they haven't even thought about the economy yet.

As a person who worked a couple years at a company with toxic management I sympathize with anybody who has actual skills who works for CIG. It's easy to say, "well, you gotta manage your manager," but it can actually be impossible to do that if your manager's instructions and expectations change daily or hourly. It can be impossible to do that if you can't trust that what your manager is saying they want is actually what they're going to have wanted when you finish your task.

The reports from CIG seem to point to anybody in a technical position being worked to the bone to prepare poo poo for whatever trade show or presentation Roberts wants to have something ready for. It feels like a company that has spent so much time lurching from marketing milestone to marketing milestone that they haven't ever had time to actually develop a real game. Developing a real game often doesn't give you pretty milestones you can brag about. poo poo's broken for a while, and sometimes poo poo is broken up until right before release. That's why the smart companies either a) announce late when they have something to show or b) announce a project's existence before going dark for a while to work on it.

This 2.0 bullshit feels like they rolled up absolutely all technology and content that was created for their marketing into a single package that's masquerading as a game. Unsurprisingly it's buggy as poo poo since everything they've done so far has been one-off's for Roberts to orgasm about in front of a crowd that was never designed to work with anything else they were working on.

So they have some content. They have some animation. They have some music. They have some art. The part where all of that stuff is connected together in a cohesive experience doesn't appear to have been paid attention to by management.

I would expect that their engineering/programming departments are a revolving door or staffed entirely with people without the self esteem to jump ship.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Toops posted:

Multimillion dollar mocap -> Hundreds+ (probably thousands) of man hours of farting around in a broken Maya and/or MoBu pipeline to figure out just how to mocap the mocap? COOL USE OF BACKER FUNDS BROS.

Tell croberts to quit making you change your loving skeleton/rigging you pansies.

I'm sure a lot of people know this, but holy poo poo mo-cap is not a turn key solution. It will look like absolute loving garbage if you don't have the right people with the right pipeline doing it. It will look, in fact... a lot like Star Citizen looks.

So the schadenfreude on top of the schadenfreude here is that they got Mark Hamill in for a mo-cap session they might not actually have the skills to make proper use of. I can't think of a better example of a sunk cost fallacy than doing mo-cap sessions for an MMO space ship game that might not actually end up being usable. You know they're going to pour the resources in to "fix," it since for some reason, it's really important to mo-cap Hollywood actors for a space ship MMO.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 27, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

One of the ironies of this is that she all but admits that their marriage itself came about as a result of her as a young, hungry Aussie actress flipping through the proverbial Australian Movie Industry phone book and find Chris's name as the Boy Wonder Director with a Costner project underway at Ascendant Studios. If he'd been at Descendant Pictures, she might've gone after some other director at a film company that started with "B"-- and Star Citizen, its hour never arriving, wouldn't be slouching towards Beta to be stillborn...

Sandi is a symptom of the problems over at CIG. She is not the root cause. Star Citizen might be slightly different, but still probably just as hosed as without her. Roberts dev history demonstrates this point pretty well.

There's a serious organizational smell when a dude hires his wife and then brother to work at his company. There are certain situations where that's a legit good business decision. This isn't one of them. Roberts, himself, appears to value loyalty above any other skill sets.That's dangerous.

I know everybody loves to hate on Sandi for being awful, but she's only there because Chris hired her. Let's not pretend Chris would be some kind of game dev organizational genius if not for the influence of that "hussy."

Rad Russian posted:

Why don't these people get chargeback? Why sell at a loss? Or they just believe the scammy customer service responses from CIG where they offer only 50% refund?

They could be people who bought in on the grey market. It's also highly likely they've drunk the Flavor Aid, and they assumed their purchases might increase in value over time rather than decrease. Getting money back through a refund is the domain of failures. Getting money back through a grey market sale is recouping costs or profit-taking. It's real real stupid to think like that, but I guarantee everything posted there is posted in the hope they might be able to make a small profit off the next sucker.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 27, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

jaegerx posted:

Isn't Sandi north of 40? She's gotta realize there's no career in Hollywood for her by now

She's gonna break into The Industry any day now. Why you gotta be a bully?

I hate everything she represents. The people who love acting and art find outlets to do it. Cameras are cheap. Editing is either cheap or a nominal cost. Community theater is a thing that exists. She's playing it old school, though, and that exposes her true intentions. She's delusional enough to think there's still money in acting for someone like her. There could be. It takes a lot more skill than she'll ever have, though. It requires doing more than trying to back your way into The Industry by shaking hands with Mark Hamill.

This idea that all you have to do is meet the right people to be successful in an industry really annoys me. I've met a lot of cool loving people in the games industry. It hasn't led to a pay day, but I wasn't loving looking for a pay day when I met them. I was doing my loving job and enjoying my job. People like Sandi who spend so much effort trying to weasel their way into an industry instead of doing the real work annoy the poo poo out of me.

If they spent half the effort on entering the industry legitimately than they spent on trying to back door their way in they'd already be successful*.

*They could probably eat. They wouldn't be rich. They wouldn't be famous. I bet that's a pretty big deal breaker for someone like her!

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 27, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

The final stage is getting their backers to sell Amway.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Are Australian Star Citizens just like, "This 2.0 pre-alpha alpha version 6 is totally worth all the bandwidth overages I'm paying every month!"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

kordansk posted:

How the hell does Croberts envision WW2 style dogfighting in space ships, in space, 1000 years in the future and not completely realize how loving stupid it is. For someone that's been crowing about fidelity and aesthetic, he completely and utterly fails at realizing it with this poo poo.

You're barking up the wrong tree here bro. Basically everyone saw Star Wars ripping off WW2 movies and thought it was the bees knees for space combat because they were like 6 years old when they first saw it. There's probably lots more creative ways to do it, but nerds want to fire pew pew lasers like Luke Skywalker so were kind of stuck with that being the paradigm.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Toysrme posted:

How Star Citizen treats one of it's top-10 ranked players, addressing the masses of PvE carebear complaining about them killing one person in this video:

video in question (TLDR, the #1 pilot skill group in Star Citizen got together, found a multi-crew ship and chased it around until they killed him)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPNCgX2FYnM

Holy poo poo this is mind-boggling. I had assumed, until now, that this is the kind of poo poo Chris Roberts was saying the game was going to be about. If this kind of behavior is unacceptable to them then I don't understand how there will be anything actually interesting to do with your expensive ship you paid real money for. I guess they won't have to worry about PvP balance issues, lol.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 9, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Wow, not having an actual game to play makes people care way more about stupid dumb poo poo. Last I checked in on this thread like 2 months ago there was drama with like Derek Smart lawsuits and poo poo. I tune back in and people are loving complaining about how many seats their JPEG has.

What the gently caress. I guess if this is the thing that finally causes people to stop throwing good money after bad then whatever, but jesus.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Sandi being HR Director is the funniest thing to me. Not content with the titles she's already appropriated, she feels like she needs to inflate her status with the incredibly glamorous title of Director of... HR. I imagine the people who actually do handle HR at CIG are pretty annoyed with that. HR isn't fun or glamorous work, but it is necessary important work that requires quite a bit of knowledge.

It's one thing to answer to a COO who oversees many aspects of the company, but it must be pretty terrible to report to a person that probably does absolutely nothing and yet takes credit for all the work in your department.

It's so slimy, but it also says something about her psyche.

Also, I really hope CIG has more HR than just her because it's real easy to get on the wrong side of stuff like taxes and labor laws if you don't. Lol, if they don't.

It also could be that she made herself the HR Director so she could put the kaibosh on complaints about management, but she still must think there's some status boost to be gained from it considering she lists it on her LinkedIn.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 14, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

imperialparadox posted:

Croberts was essentially given a blank check to make his fevered space-dreams a reality, but instead of using the backer's money wisely to ensure that those dreams come to fruition, Croberts instead wastes it away on what he considers the best - for his image.

Your mistake here is assuming that his intentions going in were pure. They weren't, but he had been out of the industry for long enough to convince himself he could spend whatever he wanted however he wanted while paying his way to some kind of game out the other end of it no matter what. Then he was assuming that the game would be so well-received that nobody would ever question how the money had been spent.

It's gonna be hilarious when this ends with him suing Crytek like a replay of Silicon Knights suing Epic.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Tokamak posted:

RSI is both a shell company for international financial shenanigans, and a company that exists in Star Citizen fiction. CIG is the name of the USA based development studios. The website is RSI and not CIG because you are buying the game from the in-fiction RSI (CIG doesn't exist in-fiction).

:gary:

So you're saying they need to change the name to Sovereign Citizen?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

So what's the current size of the SC client that gets pushed whenever they patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

What where the other people doing during those 2 weeks? We literally see like 20 people in a room actively working on the demo and doing proc V2.

I'm assuming they're busy working on poo poo Chris told them to work on until Chris berates them for not working on something he says they should have known was "more important," or "something I asked for months ago."

There's a line in that video where the guy says, "If you miss an e-mail or you're out of the loop for 30 minutes then you're behind." Like holy poo poo that's a terrible way to run any long term project.

So I would assume that every day somebody is working on something and trying hard to please Chris, but the priorities for everything get shifted around every day such that nothing is ever finished. Hence why they have "directories and directories," of unfinished assets.

I used to work at a place that was shockingly similar to CIG. I worked very hard every day. CEO would berate me for working on some aspect of the project they had told me was a priority. Any attempt to show them progress was met with anger that it didn't have literally every dumb dream feature they wanted yet. Then they would berate me in a meeting every 6 months about how little progress had been made on the project.

So yeah, you can work really hard every day while also having very little to show for it if management keeps loving with you day in day out. I've been gone from that place for 6 years now. The project I was working on still hasn't come to fruition in the time since I left. Watching Derek Smart dismantle this thing has been some nice catharsis.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 15, 2016

• Locked thread