Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Just under a full month to get my money back. $15 came through Paypal (from CIG), but the other $65 was credited back to my credit card. That seems weird, doesn't it? Well whatever, I'm free at last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

G0RF posted:

I'm glad you posted this --- because as much as the cynic in my would like to believe the worst at all times, I know that doing so isn't really fair or reasonable... I've only flown on a double-decker plane once in my life-- and on that flight, I did fly upstairs in the swanky business class seats. That certainly colored my perception, and perhaps unfairly.

So let it be noted that I'd amend my prior anecdote, and acknowledge that the possibility exists that Sandi was telling the honest truth about that particular issue.
Aren't travel expenses for business trips tax deductible? If it's really no big deal, why would she even get defensive about it?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

G0RF posted:

She was concerned with the public image issue that would arise from perceptions that she chose to upgrade and enjoy the more expensive and luxurious seats in Business Class and First Class. This particular issue-- of reckless misuse of funds to afford luxurious indulgence-- is one that she's grown more eager to avoid, in the face of accusations of CIG-subsidized Porsche leases and rental property in Pacific Palisades...

(Oh, and $20K expresso machines for the Santa Monica office.)
Exactly. It's a touchy subject because it's true. They don't deny that the money's gone because it is gone.

Except the money that's back in my wallet.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Klyith posted:

I have no idea whether the fluid dynamics minigame is the drinks mixer or not. It could be something completely different.
Oh it could be a completely different waste of time and money that has nothing to do with making the spaceship flying and shooting game that they're supposed to be making.

That's certainly reassuring!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

So I've never actually watched any of the 10,000 video things they've done, but are scripted things like this common? I mean even a stupid high school video skit ends up being something like an hour of work for 1 minute of footage so if they do this crap all the time, how do they even get any work done?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

G0RF posted:

The scripted stuff seems to have tapered off-- with the exception of the Empire Report. I think even Sandi figured out she was embarrassing herself with those short little scripted bits, so she decided to focus on higher quality, non Sci-Fi related material like this.
This is awful. I'm going to watch some Mega64 skits so I remember what real acting is like.

AP posted:

Preparing the next sale doesn't take that long man, you just need the artwork to come back and then type a few paragraphs up, search/replace on potato, job done, relax with a coffee.
Right, I keep forgetting that CIG exists in a magical world where deliverables don't exist.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Chin posted:

Surely all of the ships and their roles and strengths are laid out in a design document that Roberts finished several years ago. Same with the simulated universe and how you can be an asexual firefighter cat demon or whatever.
Not sure if the ??? thought bubble image or croberts_hand_gestures.gif is more appropriate here.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Loiosh posted:

I watched it ONCE at the movie theater, and never again. Uck.
The opening credits were pretty dope, but that's mostly because of David Arnold's score.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Romes128 posted:

Please don't speak bad about wulf. He's just trying to offer citizens a substantially smaller package than what cig has available.
:eyepop:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Lesnick weighs in on the DX12 controversy

No Ben, projects don't continue to adapt to the latest technology as it becomes available during development. One of the biggest debacles in gaming history came about because the lead designer tried to keep up with the latest technology.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I imagine this guy hanging from a tree in a years time
Because Star Citizen still won't be finished so he'll be outdoors and having fun climbing trees. Right??? :ohdear:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay we're back. I literally fell asleep waiting for the patcher to finish, but that just means we'll get some midnight testing in. My stated goal is to fly around to the back side of some of the moons in the game.

Attempt 2, Test 1: Well I get in on the first try, which is nice. In general things are going smooth and stably this time. I spawn a Gladius and fly back out to Kareah. I put it on cruise, accelerate to 1km/sec, and let it ride. Interestingly enough, the planet is not a circular backdrop as I had initially assumed- it's just posed very dramatically for when you warp into Kareah. It is in fact a really detailed sphere, and I spend several interesting minutes flying around to the dark side of the moon while trying not to think too hard of Pink Floyd related puns. Ultimately I find myself on the far side from Kareah, almost 270 km away, and decide to stop for a brief screen shot opportunity.

Given that I'm not exactly on a perfectly circular orbit from the other side, I'd say this moon is probably a little over 150km in radius which is honestly not bad at all. That puts it at about 1/10th the size of our actual moon, which I feel is a perfectly respectable planetary body for a video game. I resolve to go find another one and fly around it.

Test 2: Before I do that I figure I'll put the space thing to the test one more time and QT until I'm a few thousand KM from a station and then cruise the rest of the way in. I set a course for the nearest comm array, overshoot wildly (QT drive really doesn't like to disengage when you put it on manual), turn around to close the distance, and get a black screen crash. Darn.

Attempt 3: It appears that our old friend the unlocalized error has made a return- however, on the second attempt, I get back in so on the whole I'm not too bothered. It's kind of sad that one crash to desktop per login is considered quite good at this point but there you are. I wake up on the set of a JJ Abrams film- that is to say, there is a giant gently caress-off lens flare in my vision that shines through walls and floors. I've decided I don't want to A) be able to see out of my cockpit or B) have any weapons on the current flight so I go downstairs and spawn a Retaliator. Take off and promptly crash to desktop again. Hoo boy.

Attempt 4: Spawn retaliator, decide to go look at the moon near Covalex shipping. Now this moon is proper big. I spend several minutes in cruise and have not moved around the moon significantly. Thinking maybe it is a flat backdrop after all, I spool up QT and do some warping. This time my inaccuracy isn't so bad, and after a couple jumps I end up behind the moon about 7000km away from the station. I can't tell if it's because I'm on the dark side or if the genuinely did not bother to texture the backside of this moon, but it appears pretty blank- screenshot for posterity:

I'm not done with this one yet, I want to get in close and get a full measure of how big it actually is. Of course when I tab out to upload the image, the game crashes again. Alright, guess I will be transcribing from memory then.

Attempt 5: I note that they seem to have somehow hosed up the landing gear on the retaliator- the back gear meets the pad firmly, while the front gear is stretched out, barely touching the pad like a short kid sitting in a high chair. Take off, crash to desktop. Looks like another seven patches' bad luck for CIG.

Attempt 6: It's obvious that multi-crew ships are still not going to work, so I spawn a Gladius and manage to make it this time. QT travel is just a complete bitch to get right- half the time you will be 30k km from where you wanted to come out. Eventually I do get behind the planet. I was right, this one is drat big. Covalex is at least 4600 km away which puts this one at well over moon size and well on its way to half the size of Earth. Cool! There is a texture there, but this is some kind of ice world so it is much more subtle than the first moon.

Something about flying so close to the planet has bugged my ship though- it is jittering all over the place on the flight back to Cry-Astro to refuel, like it's still stuck in the planetary field. I land it on the pad and get out, then tab out to finish this post.

Mission Status: Surprisingly, complete and then some and after only a few attempts.

Final Thoughts: Fairly positive. Game's still crashing pretty regularly but most things are smoother than they were before and stability in general seems to be up. Exploring the far sides of the moons was very neat- it doesn't seem like they've built the game to be a series of small 10kmx10km scenes and I appreciate that. Whether I actually answered any of the mathematical questions- well, I probably didn't, it's easy enough to imagine that every time you enter/exit QT the game just refreshes your local grid. But it's seamless enough that I have no trouble getting immersed. What I do have a problem with, however, is the fact that QT is such a mess. It's not like supercruise at all- unless you are pointed at an indicated target on your hud, you are going to be lucky to get within ten thousand kilometers of where you want to go. That's going to make exploring a serious pain in the rear end. It's likely they haven't thought that far ahead, of course- they never seem to. I'm also pretty irritated that multicrew ships are still entirely crash prone to the point that you can't get the Retaliator off the pad two tries out of three. That's supposed to be the major tentpole of this demo and it doesn't work even slightly. Still, things continue to progress and the world's most expensive screenshot generator is showing signs of life, even now. I don't see it going to a live release any time soon though.

I'm the UI that obscures the UI

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Mirificus posted:

Blinding posted:
Ah good, someone who admits to playing through Medal of Honor: Warfighter multiple times. Warfighter was so bad that it killed the franchise. This is one game after they rebooted it with Medal of Honor, an aggressively mediocre game.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

Which is a shame because Allied Assault was a masterpiece at the time. Pretty sure Steven Spielberg helped produce it and it was developed by the people that went on to create Infinity Ward. It was more or less the video game of the movie for Saving Private Ryan.
The multiplayer was pretty decent too.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Wafflz posted:

:lol:

that is so jank, not just the missing ring but the letters are all hosed up. everything about it is poo poo.

i'm dying
There's always some jank when it comes to real-life squadron patches, but loving up such a simple, two-color design like that is pretty awful.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

who the gently caress thinks chris has written a single line for this
It's best that he doesn't because someone who just pops into a project at random times and tries to contribute at that level is more likely to gently caress things up.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Enchanted Hat posted:

an amount of spending too high to be rational is $1
for just $1 a day you can feed a JPG and give it the education it so desperately needs

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

D_Smart posted:

What's coming is glorious. That is all.
A hastily assembled, bug-ridden Squadron 42: Episode 1 which will be 20% uninspired spaceplane shooter and 80% embarrassingly bad cutscenes?

A 38 Studios-esque "whoops the money's all gone" fiasco, complete with a firesale of slightly used Restoration Hardware furniture??

A bailout from a big publisher, followed by a rip in the space-time continuum caused by the collective cognitive dissonance of thousands of cultists trying to spin it as a good thing???

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Daztek posted:

You mean these tweets are fake?!

CRoberts didn't look like he had played any video games in the last 20 years let alone his own.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

i still can't get over the sight of croberts just sitting there like a sack of potatoes when the game hardlocked the computer

what a useless fat lump.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

This is worth another look because loving hell ha ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM
i'm the worst chat interface that croberts has ever seen, despite being pretty much the same thing every mmo has had in the last 15 years

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

double post

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm homeless santa hovering around whenever Chris is upset but having no helpful input to provide.
i'm the guy who keeps the camera on a rambling croberts while ben and sandi say that this is their 3rd annual holiday livestream and that "there are noisy people in the background who should be quiet"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Well he is right about DSmacks making people butthurt, but not in the way he was thinking.

I think.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

G0RF posted:

Wow, more from that clip AP linked earlier.

Host talks about his annoyed reluctance to pay for the Horizons expansion even while admitting he's spent several times more for a game he can not play.

He presents it as a mystery. Sandi then unlocks the mystery for him by asking, "Well let me ask you-- do you feel connected to Elite Dangerous like you do Star Citizen?"

HOST: "No, no-- not even close."

Sandi smirks cockily (really)-- and is asked by the host what magical trait Star Citizen has (that Elite doesn't) that (in his words) "separates the fools from their money?"

Sandi is beaming as she offers her reply, which is essentially "I'm not saying I'm the reason-- but I am the reason..." (no joke) and then she explains how she provided the magic ingredients to separate fools from their money. And later, she invokes the speech she gave at Citizen Con as an expansion on the "magic" qualities that Star Citizen provides.

It's an amazing clip-- very worth watching.
That whole sequence was weird. I'm pretty sure when she talks about a "shared experience" that makes the backers feel connected to SC, it isn't what the host was thinking (meeting people/playing with friends in MMOs and having good times), it is actually because they have given money to the project and feel like they're a part of it. Like "we're all on this journey to fulfill CRobber's vision" and it's not "just a game."

And I swear I wasn't trying to phrase that in a way that makes it sound like it's a cult, but here we are.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Mirificus posted:

Farewell CIG white knight, Zinda Blake.

She sounds insufferable. What did she do to get probated?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Mirificus posted:

I'm not entirely sure but I'm glad they're gone along with their incoherent rambling. It's possibly related to this:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6147042/#Comment_6147042

Also, I noticed that this post has been removed:

Well that's...odd.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

She's right. CIG is unique because of the phenomena associated with it. I certainly haven't paid as much attention about Elite or Moon Intern or any of the other projects I've backed. I'm not sure how convinced I am that all of it is Sandi's machinations, but there's clearly a level of interest and engagement that's different from most programs. I think it's the ships, and how CIG pushed them as dreams and not just assets. You weren't buying a Cutlass, you were buying a ship you could use to be a pirate. You weren't buying a Hornet, you were buying an elite space superiority fighter that would let you rule the skies. Combined with the absolutely perfect commercials (especially the Aurora one) it gave you a taste of the dream and made you want more.

What I don't think anyone at CIG realizes is that there is a severe consequence to that level of engagement. This is not a normal community. These are not normal, well-adjusted fans with a lot of disposable income. These are fanatics, true believers, people willing to make sacrifices to prove their allegiance in a system where fidelity is financial. Whatever the hell Star Citizen is, it can't possibly meet their expectations. Look at every single release and how it's been received by the community. A wave of initial praise followed by lengthy commentary and criticisms that quickly devolve into camps about various issues. The more this game is developed and solidified the less wishful thinking people will be able to deceive themselves with.
Huh, I never really thought of the ships in that way. Maybe it's because I've played enough video games to know that when developers say that X is good for doing Y, they could be completely wrong. There's no way to know until X is in the game. The commercials were just fluff; actual games are never like that. I got a 300i because...that's what came with the $65 package.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

SerCypher posted:

Lol as crazy as they are, sometimes I check this thread and see posts like these and wonder if we're the crazy ones.

Searching through video archives to see how yellow a person's teeth have become is a little strange.
:agreed:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Christ Roberts posted:

“Why should they have all that money?” Well it’s because you want to build a big, bold game that doesn’t compromise! This is the secret.

Ah, "no compromises," the most dangerous of mantras for a creative endeavor. There is no :siren: big enough to convey how bad that is for a project.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just look at the package names; Scout, Bounty Hunter, Freelancer, Colonel, Pirate. With only a name and a picture CIG needed something else to sell. So they sold possibility and had you dreaming of what you would be doing before there even was a game. I am guilty of falling for it myself. I saw the Cutlass as the perfect Goonmobile. Fast, lots of guns, easily repaired, just fill the fucker with boarders and go play Grand Theft Starship. Hell it came with a tractor beam and boarding collar. It was my ship.

Then they hosed it all up.

It flew like poo poo. It was too fat. It wasn't a dogfighter. Then variants were basically different ways to outfit a van. The commercial did nothing to emphasize piracy and looked as lazy and rushed as the variants. Whatever the gently caress it was, it wasn't my ship. And in the aftermath of Cutlassgate and that massive thread Dusty ran all the other bullshit it became clear that reality was a joke. The Cutlass we have is not what they sold, and it's unlikely to ever be.

The best part is the aftermath
How did CIG ultimately respond to the complaints? By offering to sell a new ship.
Yeah I didn't read the package names like that, I read them as marketing fluff. Does Grand Admiral make you a Grand Admiral? No, it's just fluff. I've seen posts where people compare ships by their hardpoint sizes or whatever and it's stupid; it's all bullshit on a website until it's in the game.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

hakimashou posted:

god's work
what kind of idiot does QA work for free?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

Not free. He paid for it.
even worse!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Crash74 posted:

Even star ship troopers is 100x better than wing commander, casper van dien is a shakespearean poet compared to thoes chuckle fucks.
um excuse me i think you mean wing commander iv alumni casper van dien

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Star Citizen: I will feel grief

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

It's poo poo like this that makes DSizzle's Gizmondo 2.0 theory sound plausible. They've got a year to go and if this is all they can give to PC Gamer, it seems less like incompetence of management and more like a deliberate scam. Like I'm starting to think there really is no actual game in development as opposed to just a really bad game in development.

Also lol at the idea of using kits or props to build the world like it's some revolutionary secret of game design.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

At least it sounds like everyone at 38 Studios had pretty great benefits right up until it all imploded. CIG employees work for peanuts, but sometimes get free pizza from furries who email unsolicited dick pics. When it all goes tits up, I doubt that CRobbers is going to chip in to help save it.

And Schilling's goal of getting even more rich so he could become a Bill Gates level philanthropist is kind of noble.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

On a long list of stupid ideas this was one of the dumbest. When you start going into "realistically model ship mass and thrusters" and have stuff like cargo and damage affect that it's when you commit yourself to having a group of no poo poo honest to god rocket scientists on payroll or things will inevitably end up like this

And all that crap has to be fixed for Squadron 42. I mean gently caress how do you do QA for missions and scripting and whatever when there's a good chance the physics will go apeshit at the slightest provocation?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Madcosby posted:

god, can you imagine how many helmet flips, wake up animations, ladder climbing and chair rotating animations you'll have to sit through to play the game
don't forget the airlocks

*hissssssss*

i heard that sandi did the foley work

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Eonwe posted:

do you guys remember when I'd post in the thread about how bad this game would be and goons would flock to the defense of the game
i don't think i was paying attention back then can you take us on a trip down memory lane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Eonwe posted:

most of my posts were just like they are now

1. this game is poo poo
2. free kimsemus
so why has goon opinion turned on star citizen, yet kimsemus is still not free?

• Locked thread