Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
:lesnick: :sandance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
:lesnick:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxEMw3iUtM:sandance:

hmmm no ladder animations tho, cgi 1 this dumb game 0

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 13, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

First Person Sandbox MMORPG in a single shard with hundreds of players per ship, seamless gameplay and voxel building?

http://www.dualthegame.com/

Sounds good.
yeah but like

fidelity man

or something

I just hope dual universe comes out before sq42 because lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Who gives a gently caress. These guys are talking about a million players in the same shard with no instancing whatsoever. That is like doing B-R5RB in first person without TiDi. Very, very tall order.
I was making a pretty obv joke about the whole fidelity thing

also I dont know what any of that means, game looks cool and I will build terrible dick ships with LUA if it comes out

this has been your star citizen update at e3, thanks for watching our livestream, back to chris at the cgi headquarters swiss alps

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

AMD dude who is part the AMD game promo thing posted:

We're partnered with them [CIG], of course. We are. It's four months before E3 and we're getting our PC showcase set up. We're reaching out to get demos, sizzle reels, all kinds of different promo stuff. We hear back from a lot of people; there's some new stuff, new games, new partners, all that. Absent is a response from CIG.

Someone else here handles all that, she's calling and calling thinking there's some mistake or she's not getting through to the right people. It's now three months until the PC Gamer showcase and there's nothing on the table from CIG. She's trying to set up a conf call or a face to face with CIG and there's nothing solid set up.

She finally talks to someone over there and is assured we'll get a slice of scripted gameplay and some cutscene stuff with the big name A listers on the project. E3 is what, six weeks away? Maybe seven at this point.

A week later what we get a package with a disc, no explanation, table of contents, nothing. On it, there's nothing new, [its] a mashup of all their previous trailers. It's not even cut differently. We have the Hamil one, the Oldman speech, some fighters shooting things and some FPS segments that were lifted straight out of the last con they did. They're all just dumped into a "Promo" folder on a blu-ray.

She's thinking this is a mistake, they sent us the wrong material -- easy mistake to make, you throw in an old disc instead of the one you just cut, it got handled differently, an intern misunderstood what we wanted, whatever. So she calls them up again, no response, emails, nothing.

Two weeks later we get what is referred to around here as the "Letter." Capital "L" letter. The email is addressed to everyone high up at AMD, not even the gaming guys but the chip designers and the heads of departments. The PDF attachment is a rambling statement from Chris about how we're pushing him into something he doesn't think is necessary, he has a vision and that it's "too important" to be disrespected like this.

The decision was made to drop them from the show after that. Probably from our partnership as well, but that's above my head.
if this is true then loving lol

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 14, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

:vince::vince::vince:

Dude where did you find this
me at e3 getting drunk with people in hotel bars

no idea if the guy is who he says it is, I'm not some journo or whatever so please take things with heaps of salt, thanks

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also I should add that everyone at e3 has their own opinion on star citizen and not a single one has been good

everyone is always "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I dont wanna talk about it" when you first bring it up but after a few drinks lol

just lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
its kinda funny that after the whole AMD thing I posted earlier, MoMA steps up his posting again

makes u think

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hey MoMA I didn't make up that AMD poo poo, but thanks for thinking I'm some kind of Smart shill and posting that over on reddit

obviously not going to their own partners PC game conference with the "savior of PC gaming" is just normal and fine because they just dont have time to throw together a 3 minute sizzle reel

also everyone at e3 is just laughing their rear end off at croberts and co, some dude at the bar yesterday was like "where's my crossbow for backing shroud of the avatar???" and we all busted up laughing

also hey derek like 15 years ago we got into an internet slapfight over design, what up bro

also someone the other day said "Star Citizen: House of the Dying Fun" lol

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 15, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sperglord posted:

Come on, there has to be more juicy stories. (stuff like this has to get to Roberts and Sandi, shows how they're mocked...)
there's just not that much talk about them around here

I think a lot of people are doing a "wait and see" thing about it or don't want to really just straight up say its a scam at this point. it's a really, really tight knit group and you really don't want to gently caress yourself out of a possible job opening down the line

I'm done talking to people about it, I think I lucked out early and there ain't gonna be any more bombs dropping

the big topic of conversation yesterday night was if that one gal at the bar was actually going to give hideo a handbeezy or not

handyj's rank as better conversation than star citizen at this point

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why are mentioning me for this?

MoMA on reddit posted:

The AMD post on the Something Awful forums. No - it was some poo poo made up by a goon who visited a bar after a day at E3 because he thought it would rally the goonwaffen into egging Smart to do something (anything). They're a retarded bunch - that crew.
again, maybe some random dude I was drinking with made all this up and passed it along to me like you said, maybe it was chris roberts himself with one of those mission: impossible masks on, I don't loving know, I just thought holy lol if it's true

seems like a weird thing to troll a bar with, but I don't know, maybe you're right and I got totally duped into feeding the smarties

forgive me gooncrew, I've let you all down

oh thats not you? loving poo poo maybe this is a giant conspiracy after all

dude if that isn't you whoever is running that account has you down pat lol

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 15, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah ... that's not my reddit. I don't post on reddit - I told Smart this like.... 2000? pages ago.

then whats this

ManofManyAliases posted:

I have engaged Derek on Twitter and Reddit and he is nothing but a man with some janky games. I do try to keep things civil.
you dont post on reddit but you're engaging derek on reddit...dude come on

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
man I really need to stay outta this, I'm way outta my depth

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Barn Folk posted:

Why do you think Sandi was at E3? She's coming for you! Watch out if you see her striding toward you with a box filled with roses!
well she's been the very best terminator since she was a little girl, so I'm actually shaking right now, thanks for triggering me

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

Remember when there was a lady terminator and she inexplicably had telekinetic powers over cars?

That was a bad film
she was partnered with AMD, explains everything

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol, I hope this image is entered into evidence at space court

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
all credit for the thread title goes to some dude with a beard five drinks in at e3

I was simply a messenger

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
guys guys hey

cig isn't at e3 because it's just way too expensive

instead they are hosting citizencon in a super expensive, LA landmark that I'm sure they can just squat in and costs like 0 dollars

meanwhile on a twitch stream with more viewers:

https://www.twitch.tv/warlegend

he keeps getting killed by the loving airlock lol

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 15, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

For us people who don't know anything about LA, where are they hosting it?
http://avalonhollywood.com/

I've been there a few times for some hollywood mixer type things (and a sweet 16 party of all loving things)

they custom set up all the lighting, video, sound, all that poo poo

it's not cheap

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I feel like this hasn't gotten as much play as it should be getting. I mean come on...
its all being run from the same turbulent crowdfunding platform

http://www.turbulent.ca/our-portfolio/308-warhammer-40-000-eternal-crusade

thought that was general knowledge

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
omg lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XN5M4lWzB0&t=108s

also holy poo poo everything shown there is straight up mocap

:wtchris:

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 16, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
so I really don't care about this AMD thing, but roberts was at every loving e3 the past 3 years hawking AMD products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrIyOjEYRk

if he wasn't there in person, cig was showing Star Citizen/SQ42 products

this is the first year he ain't there and ain't with AMD in any capacity

so um

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrIyOjEYRk&t=95s

also wtf the constellation in game model is at 1.3m polys

hahahahahdsajkhdk;jahs;jlkhda;jlksh ;ahsd;jhas;j h;aklhjsd;h

oh he's also pushing 30m polys in a single scene without a whole lotta poo poo going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gGLE3USB2U&t=455s

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 16, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
that poor gal

quote:

I'm sure it's me because I can't believe that it's them.

nah it's them girlfriend, it's them

dude you missed the best part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEp8agP2tA&t=2228s

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 16, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

In usual fashion, they bought a 3rd party product for AI that is "best of the best."

That's quite a problem for this game...they buy the best stuff money can buy and have no idea how to utilize it properly.

A good mechanic can make repairs with a $20 socket set from Harbor Freight. A bad mechanic will flub around with the equivalent $400 Snap-On socket set.
A good chef can make due with a set of T-Fal knives. A bad chef will cook poo poo with a set of Shuns.
etc. etc.

I view this game as that scene from Jurassic Park where the old man says "Nothing but the best" as everything collapses around him while eating ice cream. The best tools, the best mocap studios, the best actors etc. cannot bail out basic incompetence of the job at hand.
http://kythera.ai/case-studies/star-citizen

that's the company doing all the SC ai work, except they are looking pretty shakey and had to move to new digs

http://www.thisiscodebase.com/about/

and they have like less than 10 people working there, so

thats why the ai spaceships blow themselves up with their own missiles lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Plural Abysss posted:

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/743639188323524608

Lando with the conspicuous grooming.

Job interview? Hot date?
he's loving ben's girl

no joke

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

6-7 Months now and you are getting the equivalent of a big tits mod in fallout or something while the maker is promising Fallout 5 that will be the last Fallout you will ever play and charging your stupid rear end $3000 for it.
yeah will those tits have LTI though (large tit insurance)??

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
it seriously feels like he's stuck in 1998 and wants sq42 to be featured on the back of a 8mb matrox mystique box

http://imgur.com/r/CatGifs/xd39slz

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

looks like he is wearing a Panerai watch
20k for a watch, a good use of backer funds

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

There are over 150 employees in UK between those two offices working on "refactoring" the engine, procedural gen, etc. Like I've mentioned before: I feel there's a lot yet to be revealed.
yeah like: a game

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

so thats disco lando having no idea who sir davos plays in sq42

most open development indeed

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
those looks like highmark task chairs to me

anywhere from $800 to $2k a piece, nice

also the loving crunch mode for this game has to be brutal

I'd say most people at this point are working 12 to 14 hour days, six or seven days a week

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 28, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Viscous Soda posted:

More likely it's Sandy coming in and saying "Okay I need to load up on photos for Twitter, so everyone look busy and productive and I'll snap a picture" and the artist brings up the first model that won't take 15 minutes to load.
I'm pretty sure every single artist and programmer is stuck in perpetual crunch mode at this point

they are trying desperately to have something to show at gamescom and citizencon, because if there's nothing new or groundbreaking or playable, their entire revenue stream is going to take a huge hit

the art time for 10+ hours of mocapped footage alone will be tens of thousands of man hours to get functioning properly and placed in game

this means, in order to save time, the SQ42 stuff will turn into mostly fixed view ingame set pieces or actual, honest to god 1999 style cutscene poo poo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fargom posted:

That sure is a picture of a stand up, how exciting. For those who don't know, it's a short (~15 min hence everyone can just "stand up") meeting where the team members say what they did yesterday, what they are working on today, and what roadblocks they have. It's fairly standard for teams using scrum.
yeah a scrum is great and everything for a tight knit group of people or team leads but wtf are they doing this for when:

half the art is outsourced to somewhere in asia
you have offices around the globe working on different poo poo
there's 3 or 4 different outsourced companies coding different parts of the game
there's two totally different products being developed with entirely different goals

having scrum meetings when you're a global company is loving dumb and can be better tracked by a team lead or project manager requesting a loving email with task progression

but I would expect no less from CIG, because scrums are cool and hip and all the rad dudes in silicon valley totally do it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zakutambah posted:

It can be done. But yeah, it requires not being a fuckwit with buzzwords and adapting the process where needed, and highly competent management.

I worked once for a company that had a team split between Australia and the US. With the timezones, US workday would be ending as ours was beginning. There would be a handover meeting then via video conference, team making good use of the hour or so work days crossed to catch up on notes, shared detailed documentation and processes... and an excellent team lead on either country plus an incredibly well organised global project manager to tie them together.

The output we had was incredible in efficacy and work completed. It took clear vision, communication, set expectations, proactive employees, and strong leadership... so basically everything lacking from croberts' shitshow.
I think having two teams or even three global teams is possible with scrum but when you start outsourcing major amounts of your project to outside entities who you aren't meeting with, what's the point?

well that and you actually need really specific and clear leadership to assign and monitor tasks, like you mentioned above

and lol at croberts holding a loving scrum meeting

*hands flailing wildly* um eeehhh um guys ehhh um wheres that feature that was going in? which feature? we eh um yeah I know we're uh figuring out uh things but the thing is here, john, uh, kevin, ugh er wait, who was that there? you, er uhm, yeah, what was it that I told you last uh week? last week, yeah, er uhm what are you working on?

illectro posted:

Was cool and hip and in use at SV companies a decade ago, but we stopped using it and switched to even cooler and hipper schemes.
the only thing that hasn't moved on since 1996 is the berts

has anyone said reverse the berts yet

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 30, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

This video includes a special love story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9p_xzaNjU
lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zakutambah posted:

You want a fun community like this springing up around your game. A good community makes the rougher points of a game's development bearable. poo poo, vanilla WoW was infamous for game breaking bugs every patch day; but we'd still be there. Probably also helped that when it did work, there was an actual game to enjoy with your mates.
it also helps the wow devs werent trying to sell you pictures of new classes in development that cost $500

peter gabriel posted:

The community in star citizen sucks loving balls though, that's the difference.
You see how at the end of that vid, 2 fully armed commandos come in and without any hesitation just kill me? That's the community summed up. If that was me and my mates in early wow and we stumbled across a naked player far from anywhere we'd at least emote poo poo to them, maybe dance or whatever.
In Star Citizen it's all 'gently caress you got mine' all the way, they are humourless assholes, they really do deserve this game, and that just adds another layer of comedy to it all for me
besides your vids, most streamers or people playing star citizen don't actually do anything

look at batgirls vids, where she just flys around aimlessly for hours or runs around different parts of the space station, or wtfsauros or whatever just standing around crouch aiming at various loving doors

the game is a boring mess and this is from a dude that can still remember the lev arris with a y quote from privateer 2

I mean look at this b list motherfucking cast, that game movie was the poo poo back in 96

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117391/

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 30, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Plural Abysss posted:

Ask Sandi Episode III: Revenge of the Pubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Lbnf-II4E

Some interesting nuggets in the first few minutes..

5:57 - Sandi clearly would like everyone to just forget about the SC HOTAS. For whatever reason it's not up to snuff, and no ETA.

11:06 - CIG sources their shirts from China, so OF COURSE the sizing is all wonky.

19:11 - Batgirl asks Sandi what the plans are for continuing revenue after the game is released. "Millions of new players" seems to be a main pillar of that plan
this had 81 views

this has like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL6AHr5nvVA

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's a loaded question. Favorite straight liquor? A mix of single malts. I like Oban (14 year), 25 year Highland Park, Glenmorangie Signet. Macallan 25 is a top pick of mine too.

edit: Cardhu and Scapa are very good, if not underrated.

Mixed? Summer go-to is a (dry) Tom Collins. I prefer Vodka martinis. Dirty

Wine? Too many too list. Big fan of Malbecs, Montepulciano d' Abruzzo, etc etc.

Beer? BIG fan of wheat beers. Hefeweisen, Omegong, Alagash White, Leinenkugel, etc.
jesus christ, who doesnt like a $1200 bottle of scotch

next tell me how much you lift, how young your girlfriend is and how many bitcoins you own seraph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I see nothing wrong with investing in good scotch.
please tell me more about your amazing and luxurious lifestyle

did you trade your bitcoins for untold millions or are you just living off your parents like every other rich kid I've ever met who considers a bottle of high end liquor an investment

• Locked thread