Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Glory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

You can sell, or could sell, just about all your space citizen stuff for 1.5x -2x what you paid for it if you got it early couldn't you?

So someone who has spent 30 grand, if he spent it on stuff that later became resellable at a profit, actually has 60 grand tied up in star citizen, minus capital gains taxes or whatever.

52k -> as much as 100k equity tied up in star citizen.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Kevin Costner's best movie is Mr Brooks.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

I got a newsletter email from Elite:Dangerous and noticed something.

Here's David Braben, their "chairman,"

developers:

Normal furniture, sensible, just a plain office.

David Braben's chair looks kind of like the ones in my high school's library when i was a kid.

Unassuming stuff, nothing flashy.

Compare/contrast with how chris roberts and his wife spend all that money.

Even if star citizen came out and was really fun to grief, i wouldnt pay money for it, because chris roberts and his wife and scumbags.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

can you grief without paying them money yet?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I believe this week is still fly free.

ooh, when does that end?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

mcclay posted:

Holy gently caress is there actually a game now, or is it still just a bunch of space ships floating in space/ walking around in space shopping mall?

from the videos it looks like people summon their ships onto a launch pad then you either steal them or ram them off before they can get in

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

kimesumus violated the fishing pact and DBRB got him kicked out of star citizen goon guild

moral of the story: respect the fishing pact

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Does CIG do charity stuff?

Elite dangerous is having a silent auction for:

quote:

Name your own station
An extremely exclusive item. Previously only available as a high-level Kickstarter reward, this item can now be bought in this charity auction. Please note: Frontier will decide on the station location and reserve the right to edit, adjust and veto names at their discretion.

Your Personal Unique Paint Job
This prize is an exclusive one of a kind paint job only for you on the ship of your choice. You’ll get access to our designer, Tjaart, who will help develop the paint job and add it your account. Frontier reserve the right to void or veto any requests and suggest alternatives if they are not possible or suitable for the game.

Every paint job in the Frontier Store
This prize is for one of every single paint job, including paint packs, in the Frontier Store. This includes all Paint Jobs currently available but won’t include future paint jobs released.

Lifetime expansion pass
Currently not available to purchase this item gives you every single expansion in Elite Dangerous starting with Horizons. It also includes access to every beta update that comes to Elite Dangerous…. forever.

And all the proceeds go to some charity.

Does CIG do this kind of thing just grub up all the money they can get?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

A while ago i sold my ship i had got from like right after the kickstarter and got my money back that way.

A couple days ago someone gave me a "m50" ship he didnt want for star citizen and said it was the fastest ship in the game. Is it a good ship?

I mainly want to just ram people and that's why he said it was the fastest ship, is it good for ramming?

Im going to try to download it tonight.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

I downloaded the star citizen to go along with the ship someone gave me.

It runs like garbage even at low. Is there some way to make it not run as bad? I saw hundreds of pages back someone had changes to a cfg file or something.

So far, in the about 40 minutes i could tolerate playing it:

It took a long time to remap the controls- if you bind something that's already bound, it doesn't tell you or unbind it from the other control. Leads to unwanted behavior.

I got stuck in the T-posture and gliding through the floor.

I tried to do the friendship drive knockoff thing and it worked for a while then the ship just exploded.

I cant really figure out the difference between 'boost' and 'afterburner.' Neither seems to have a visual effect when viewed in 3rd person.

I cant seem to find a speedometer on my ship.

The m50 doesnt seem very good for ramming, it just gets stuck to bigger ships. its worth 80 dollars in store credit if i melt it, should i get something else?

I have 24,000 "UEC" which i gather is a cash shop thing but can't be used to buy ships? What's it for and can I do anything with it?

Is there any way to get access to spawn other ships aside from buying them?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

aleksendr posted:

People are reporting no variation in performance whatever setting (low to high) you pick. A GTX from the 900 series and a recent generation I5 + 16mb ram seem to be the minimum to get around 20 FPS. There are reports than most of the CPU load is on a single core. Even streamers with high power rigs (like 2xSLI Titans) are sometime getting below 30 fps.

Many Goons agree there is a good game hiding in there somewhere, but right now its not worth spending anything on it. The big gamble is "Do they have enough funds to finish it in a shape worth 60$?". They did raise 101M, but they started burning it the moment they got hold of the kickstarter money 3 year ago and some source say they are burning trough it a lot faster than they should.

Those UEC are Dream money for when the game comes out. Nobody know how much anything will cost in game so far. This is a big problem for many of us, because if

A) Money is easy to make in game and ships prices are reasonable, the backers who spend 300$ for a ship got fleeced and will be incredibly angry, making RSI loose its best supporters and potential spenders.
or
B) Money is hard to make and the early backers are vindicated, turning this thing into a niche P2W grindfest nobody will touch, making the game infrastructure impossible to maintain on the long run.

A and B can not coexist and Crobberts has no experience in the very delicate art of balancing a MMO economy.

Wait for another player to spawn the ship you want and steal it, they put the spawn terminal 2 cutscenes away from where the ships spawn. Once in command say loudly "I'm the Captain now!" and ram other players.

Yeah, my only interest is in griefing.

The ship someone gave me is an 'm50' and i guess its a race car ship or something, its painted red.

I'm used to the keyboard/mouse controls in Elite, and in elite when you use the mouse for pitch/yaw, the cursor automatically re-centers. In this shitfest, you have to center the mouse manually after using it to steer, and if you dont, the W/A keys for pitch wont work, its like the mouse overrides them if its being used to pitch the ship. It's maddening. There are about 150 options in the control settings, is there something buried in there to fix it?

All of this is pretty academic because i booted it up again and it crashed shortly after i took off.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They drag you into their poo poo because Chris spent an entire workday writing a missive that turned you into a giant strawman for all of CIG's problems. Clearly it's worked since it's been months and they still bring you up like you're some kind of omnipresent specter of doom. Granted it also ostracized anyone who wasn't immersed in the Cult of Christ Roberts, Game Designer but those people were already checking out.

Praise him, praise his name!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

I gave up on flying the red rocket ship thing, maybe i will trade it in for something physically larger.

Anyway, i just hung out on pad 10 waiting for someone to spawn one of the big huge ships.

I didnt have to wait long, a big black huge thing spawned, and I remembered my training - get where the elevator comes down!

Some guy ran up and opened the elevator for me so I got in, the elevator retracted into the ship, and once again my training kicked in - Run to the captain's chair!

I made it to the captain's chair before this guy did, and proclaimed "I am the captain here" and "Get off my plane!"

The other person said something about the ship, so i held down the space bar and we rocketed upwards with tremendous speed.

I came to a halt and pitched the ship down, another ship had spawned on one of the pads below. I maxed the acceleration and mashed all the buttons, we lurched forward, and the framrate took a serious hit.

Impact, explosion, mission accomplished!

I respawned in the bed and once again bypassed the ship summoning computer and followed the signs out to pad 10.

After about thirty seconds a large black ship appeared, and I took my position under the elevator. Some person ran up but instead of lowering the elevator for me, he opened the cargo hold. I remembered my training - once someone opens any part of the ship, all the doors unlock! I opened the elevator myself and took it up to the captain's room. I took my position in the chair and ordered the interloper: "get off my plane!"

Once again I depressed the vertical thrust actuator and my huge ship sailed up off the pad, once again I adjusted the pitch so that I could get a clear view of the landing pad. Once again a target appeared. once more into the breech!

This time when the frame rate holocaust struck, the game crashed too.

GOTY

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Eonwe posted:

what do you guys think about freeing kimsemus

Aren't you trying to get them to jail kimsemus in that other mmo game?

:psyduck:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

D_Smart posted:

Yes. But still runs like poo poo.

Boost just does just that to the axis of rotation. So if you boost while banking left, you bank faster

Afterburner is for forward thrust only. Yeah, it's the same thing. They're idiots.

It's in the HUD (left side I think)

Yes. A refund.

Yes. A refund.

Once you get a refund, it won't matter.

I cant get a refund someone gave me this ship for free. I sold the one i had pledged for some time ago.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

EminusSleepus posted:

Base on his posts, the might just do that by upgrading his m50

That's the thing, there is another bigger ship i could 'upgrade' this one to but its 10$ more that i'd have to pay. Which is a deal breaker.

Anyway stealing other people's poo poo and using it to ram seems superior to just ramming with your own poo poo.

It sure would be nice if the game wasn't unplayably janky most of the time and crashed :(

There are some people on the brown sea running xmas giveaways so i'm entering those and maybe can win something for free.

Can people gift/transfer store credit? Does it count toward the cost in the 'upgrade' screen?

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 22, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Someone brought up Eve and this guy didn't like it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/307405/i-m-not-trusting-anyone-in-the-verse/p4

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Libluini posted:

I think that giant wall of text just went over my head and kept on sailing.

Markov chains are mathematically incapable of lying. If that's what that is, then there is truth in there somewhere to be found.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Kicked

Loaded, crashed

Unlocalized error

Unlocalized error

Unlocalized error

Fuckin thing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

5x server full
4x authentication failed
1x kicked
got in
ran to pad
crashed

their anti griefing measures are working very well indeed today

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Dapper Dan posted:

No, you seriously don't want to see it. It is the worst kind of bad movie: too awful to be funny. It really is. The only good parts are the loltastic Chris Robert's thumbs up and the space bulldozer. That's it. I've saved you from watching that piece of poo poo. And the fact that Ben wears the pilgrim's cross is absolutely the saddest loving thing.

It is one of the worst pieces of writing out there: 'These guys could navigate space without computers. Then they thought they were gods.' This is in the movie. Their magical power is they don't need a computer to navigate space (which would be useful, if you know, computers didn't exist. But they do. So....yeah) which basically makes them space autists. And somehow they thought this made them superhuman, even though a computer basically does what they do better? Alright. It is just plain bad.

It is Star Wars if George Lucas had a severe brain aneurysm. There's a part where they tell everyone to be quiet because the furries are bombing them and they don't want them to hear them. They tell them to be quiet. In space. We can suspend our disbelief at explosions and shooty noises in space because they are for dramatic effect. But we know they really don't exist and have no effect on the plot, its a stylistic choice. Here, Roberts DESPERATELY wants it to be a WWII submarine movie, but cannot grasp the term known as 'metaphor' or 'subtly', so he just does it literally. Just watch Spoony's review on it. You won't have to sit through a lot of Matthew Lilard acting and Roberts' writing.

And enjoy 10 hours of that poo poo in Squadron 42. The only writing I'll sit through that long is Hideo Kojima and a CD Projekt game. Not some egotistical rear end in a top hat that can't grasp metaphors and a good space power is being slightly better than a human but worse than a computer at space driving.

Roger Ebert said the movie was "submoronic" which is a word you don't see a lot in print.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Page 888 so lucky ah

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

I found that closing the launcher after i click 'launch' makes star shitizen much more stable and with better FPS.

Also i found another fun thing to do.

The ship i have, the 'm50' is really small, really really small.

I can fly it under the big black ships on the launchpad and then self destruct, and then they're just gone.

I don't know if they blow up too or if they are propelled into the heavens, but they aren't there after the boom.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

I had a friend over last night and we got drunk and I showed him Star Citizen .

First I showed him the jank and it was pretty bad.

Then someone spawned one of the big black B-1 bomber looking ships and i flew my red rocket fighter plane thing under it and self destructed.

It made the nose end of the big black ship rock up into the air, once it got high enough, it was like the whole ship was sucked away by a vacuum cleaner, it just went zooop and was gone.

Then I showed him stealing other people's ships.

He agreed never to spend any money on it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

god's work

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Anyone know what ships can be used to fire on the station from outside 5km?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309114/the-cluster-that-it-will-be

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/308550/to-you-what-is-the-best-thing-about-pledging-for-this-game

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

I think something like this has been posted before but its nice to have at hand when you're looking at the brown sea.

Under the person's name and avatar there are icons, the one on the far left indicates how much money they've given. The middle one shows whether they are merely a paying backer or instead a subscriber, who pays an extra monthly subscription in exchange for nothing, and the one on the right they get to make themselves and is like a clan tag for their space clan.

The person above who said they pledge just out of habit has given between 2,500 and 4,999 dollars.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 26, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How is Lt. Commander higher than Grand Admiral?

It's closer to "wing commander"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Do you think she wears those glasses in selfies so that nobody can do succubus eyes on her anymore?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Something had thown me for a loop in star shitizen.

The ship i have seemed really really slow. Like, super slow.

Apparently you have to press V to cycle from to 'SCM" mode to make it go fast.

You can make it go even faster by pressing V again and switching to 'cruise' mode.

Before, my ship only went 100 mph or whatever, with the cruise mode on, it goes 1000 mph.

I got about 4km away from the station and then rammed one of the big ships top-down on the pads going at full speed, and it didn't blow my ship up, or the big ship, but it did bounce the big ship off the pad and made it spiral off into space.

So remember press "V" to go much faster.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309360/would-you-surrender

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

What to do in the P.T.U. ?
  • Go to an airlock, open it. Stand inside so that you can see out the door you came in, and also have the Press Use prompt up. wait for someone to run toward the airlock, close it in his face.
  • Follow the signs to either landing pad 9 or 10. Wait a few seconds for one of the $200+ giant ships to spawn. Get under it, wait until the guy opens the little elevator, get in the elevator with him. Hold down shift, mash through the doors before they open, run straight to the captain's chair, which is the middle of the 3 chairs in the front. Once the animation starts, its yous. Locked in, nothing he can do about it. Tell him to get off your plane, then either smash it into the station or into one of the other ships.
  • Alternatively, walk off the edge of the launch pad, this will cause your guy to go into "EVA" mode where you turn using the mouse and hold down F to thrust forward. It's got reasonably decent physics. Navigate to the top of the cockpit section on the big huge ships, mash against the glass and when the prompt appears, press F. This will let you get directly into the captain's chair from outside the ship, long before the original owner is able to get through all the elevator animations.
  • Many ships that look like fighter planes dont actually have you get in like a figter plane. They often have a door in the back or the side that owner has to open, then walk to the captain's chair from. If you run, you can usually get there first, then its your ship.
  • If you have access to a ship, walk down stairs to one of the computers, press F on it, spawn your ship, go out to the launch pad. Get in, press "v" to activate go fast mode, spend 20 seconds flying 2-3km from the station, turn around, take aim at another ship on the pad, fly into it.
  • Get your ship or someone else's, press B and look around until you find "Security Station" or "Covalex Shipping," press J and warp there. Destroy any player ships parked anywhere, this will strand people there. Press B again and fly back to "Port Olisar," crash into someone on the launch pad.
  • Get your ship or someone eles's, wedge it under one of the big autism chariots on the pad, press Right alt+backspace to set the self destruct timer. When it goes off, it will blow their ship off the pad and maybe crash some clients.
  • Get your ship or someone else's, see if one of the big huge ships is just hovering there. If it is, approach it slowly and snugly fit the nose or side of your ship up against the big engines in the back. Start thrusting into it. You can make it spin!

If anyone else has tips on what to do in Chris Roberts 103 million dollar masterpiece, lets hear em.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 27, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Berious posted:

That all sounds great but you know the fun will stop as soon as they can figure out how to lock jpegs to owners. I'd buy a jpeg if I thought the griefing would last

Won't stop ramming.

Anyway I managed to ask around until i found someone who had pledged and didn't care/want their poo poo anymore.

You can get a starter pack for 30 bucks from the reddit grey market and not have to give RSI any money.

Whether there is 30 bucks worth of griefing, I don't know. It really just ram ram shoot shoot steal steal, with it crashing about 1/2 the time before you can do anything. And it's a 30gb download, and it takes forever to start up.

Flip side, from where they are at now to where they want to be, their second life in space with everything they can possibly imagine, it's going to take a long time and probably never happen. So, it might take them a looong time to nerf out all the griefing. And it might get more stable and less crash-prone. Maybe.

But for anyone who can't get their money back, or who can get in for free, it's good times, and its legit brown sea star citizen spergs you're griefing. This janky shitass grief filled PTU/baby-puuuu/pre alpha whatever might be the only memory they ever get to have of star citizen, as close as they ever get.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 27, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309759/on-the-fence-for-getting-a-second-ship-what-s-the-value-in-pledging-more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

Decrepus posted:

There were a LOT of racist posts about that black guy who asked Chris a question about fish tanks. As if every 10 for the chairman isn't filled with retarded questions.

Reddit.com is notorious for its racism and misogyny, it's the only reason it's ever been newsworthy at all.

It's literally the worst website on the whole internet.

• Locked thread