Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

darkarchon posted:

you'll never know :smuggo:

Stupid fool who can't handle the thought of real pvp, or goon thoughtfully plotting a stimpire revolution. Tune in next time! :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Ravane posted:

We're all David Attenbourough. Chris is the chimpanzee.

Star citizen is the board, ship sales are the nail?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I just caught up with this trainwreck of a thread.

All of you naysayers are gonna be sorry when this game gets released and is the FUTURE OF GAMING.

I just feel bad that I've already contributed my whole retirement savings to this wonderful project and that I can't contribute any more as I've been evicted and my wife and kids left me. gently caress you goons, you're ruining gaming.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
The only reason this thread is great is because either Derek or Chris is going to be made to look like a complete idiot, and I don't think there's any middle ground to be had on either party. If CIG releases anything resembling a game, Derek Smart looks like a huge twatstain (though how much this differs from initial perception is up to debate). If Derek is right, Chris does instead, and Derek probably still is a twat.

That this battle of the titans of mediocre/lovely games is taking place here, in this stupid thread about a non-game on a game forum, is why Something Awful is awesome.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Duckaerobics posted:

In honor of :justpost:ing I went to a seminar on additive manufacturing today and I'll talk about it a little bit since I know some of you are into 3D printing.

This seminar was on metal 3d printing and developing methods to determine strength and material properties. Basically very complex structures can be made, but they are weaker than cast materials and have direction dependent properties directly out of the machine. Produced items are stronger in the x and y directions than the z direction. Some methods of improving strength and removing the direction dependence were discussed. Improved materials still suffer from fatigue issues, due to voids/imperfections in the micro-structure. GE is currently pushing for better production and evaluation methods so they can get the FAA to let them print jet engine parts. There is apparently only one AM part certified by the FAA and it is essentially non-structural. I think it will be some time before AM parts are certified for commercial aircraft, but they will probably be in military applications before too long.

I hope you enjoyed this time/space waster.

I'm assuming this is regarding metal laser sintering AM. I am curious as to what post-print processes are available for smoothing surfaces to fine tolerances (we are examining possiblity of 3d-printed telescope optics, which have sub-micron tolerances). Also it looks like the SuperDraco rocket engine from SpaceX is fully 3d-printed using metal laser sintering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDraco. How can that be :confused:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I'm never reading this thread again, loving hell. :toxx:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen 2012: "The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period."

Star Citizen 2016: "We’ll have what we determine as a minimal viable product feature list for what you would call Star Citizen the commercial release, which is basically when you say OK, we’ve got to this point and we still have plans to add a lot more cool stuff, and more content, and more functionality, and more features, which by the way includes some of the later stretch goals which we have because not all of that will be right here for the commercial release."

I actually spent time reading the 2012 FAQ and it's pretty drat funny:

Chris 'The Gonad-Gobbler-Robber' Roberts posted:

Can you explain the stretch goals?
The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. We intend to build the game that Chris Roberts described at GDC Online regardless, but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at a time, starting with Squadron 42, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more ships, systems, unique locations, animations and cinematic sequences.

Why Direct And No Publisher?
Publishers are useful in the old physical distribution world, but the Internet is the great equalizer. Notch didn’t need a publisher to reach 20-million Minecraft fans. Riot games didn’t need a publisher to reach 30-million League of Legends players, and Wargaming.net didn’t need a publisher to reach 20-million World of Tanks gamers. If we were building a big “AAA” console game it would be crazy to try without a publisher. But we want to build a PC game and publishers increase costs because of their need to recoup their sizable overhead cost. We want to make sure all the money raised goes directly to the development of the game. So we’re throwing ourselves on the mercy of the PC gamers out there that share our vision and passion for the platform and the space combat genre to raise money outside of the “cartel” of traditional publishers. The game will cost less, be more creatively pure, and, most importantly, be built for the real “core” audience – not some corporate suit worried about including all the casual gamers releasing a loving game.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

orcinus posted:

Don't forget the space bulldozer for pushing shoving yer trash off the edge of the hangar. That's at least $30 extra.

You're forgetting the easily-had $500 hangar upgrade so that you can stash more of your stupid poo poo in there.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

CrazyLoon posted:

The last post or so ITT he made mentioning Ben, was that he was certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ben's been lying to him, straight up. So yyyeah, my guess is his side of things isn't too dissimilar with the general one currently shared by most ITT.

I wonder how much Boocha's investment inspired confidence in others to do the same...he could be the whole reason Star Citizen is what it is. :tinfoil:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

kertap posted:

I've been following this thread for the last few days instead of reading twitter. And other threads. It's so great. Where did paaarp come from and what's a stimpire?

paaarp came from some video "showing off" gary oldman's character model going through some facial movement exercises that was then immediately photoshopped/giffd into paarp which I believe is the sounds a backer makes when they march bravely to the defense of star citizen. Stimpire is some stupid rear end fanfic post on the official forums about a stupid space empire where everyone is always in constant pain or agony or whatever, and then they kill you for something. Also you get raped, I think. Or maybe that was something else.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Nation posted:

i wish someone who actually could argue / had something worthwhile to respond to visited here

I will gladly listen to and am willing to be convinced about Star Citizen is there a marketer perhaps a great marketer, one of the best even, that could convince me its not poo poo

Even on it's worst day this project brings in more money then the average american does in a year.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Nation posted:

that is not an argument that relates in anyway to it being a decent game

Obviously, You Do Not Understand Game Development.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Looking at that feature list it's a good thing this year we can expect such smashing success stories as "Items 2.0" and other "basic game feature x version 2.0". I think from now on to avoid any talk of refunds or leavers or derek smart they should just make each patch list "Game Feature v(n+1).0" in addition to the regularly scheduled "added new game texture to random dinner plate model".

This way it looks like they are actually making a game.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

ripptide posted:

In at least this case, I think the answer is actually pretty easy. She didn't do anything to actually earn the money she put in, so it has little or no real value to her. So there's no risk of any kind associated to potentially losing it.

Yep. When you don't have to earn money you tend to get radically disconnected from the benefits of having it. It isn't until your credit card gets declined in front of all your friends that you truly understand why "lol goons" care about stupid poo poo like "fiscal responsibility".

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Marching Powder posted:

personally, i'm shocked that the worthless shut in with 6k in ship pictures that looks down on her peers doing sick things like drugs and partying refused to listen to your hundreds of earnest posts

maybe next time guys

We have failed. Wrap up the 6300 pages of posts guys, we're all done here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Deloria posted:

I dont want to give too much away cos I know the scooby gang is on it - but basically at that point I hadn't invested anything. I got a Connie gifted from my boyfriend and was getting pretty into the idea of SC so wanted the million mile high club for RP. The timeline for spending started when I eventually bought his Idris from him - he paid like 20K kroner and sold it to me for the pledge price.

After that I started collecting - so my confirmation was when I was 15... the calender thing was a bit before. I thought it was a brilliant idea tbh but the internet disagreed :|

Don't listen to the internet. It was brilliant.

• Locked thread