Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
100, 200, 500, 1500 and more $ for ships in a Game that will never be released? lol

Whenever I get flamed for spending 3000 Euro every year for new Games, DLC and IAPs (Hearthstone Card packs, FIFA Ultimate Team Points, NBA2K16 VC, WoW Token, Mounts and Pets), I just link to the Star Citizen scam.
I may be a stupid whale, but I can play with my virtual stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
So I asked some questions in the german Computer Base Forums SC Thread and the second reply was "just put him on the ignore list". Why so serious?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Just curious, is this an open Alpha or not? All Backers and Package Buyers can test/play?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Ok so I am jumping from page 1500 to 3800- something because I cannot catch up with the thread.

Are some Goons here so kind to summarize the state of development? In the german Star Citizen forums you will get flamed and insulted for doubts and faced with that "the biggest successful MMO Games in the history needed 4-6 years development so shut up because Croberts and his team will need and should get the time to create the greatest game in the history of ever and waiting until 2018 is okay, you can't release stuff with THAT scope earlier!"

So we have to be patient and wait for the year 2018 until the SC-Cult community may finally have doubts that buying jpegs was dumb and this project will officially end with "NOT failed!! Just not finished, but playable so NOT a scam!"?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This. I posted some handy links to those guys' posts on p. 2484

Thanks Thoatse and Tijuana, gonna read this now :gary:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

AlmightyPants posted:

One thing that's been discussed is how technically, the game as promised with the engine they're using is impossible. The netcode they're using is suitable for a small number of players playing a FPS, and it strains mightily against how they're handling ships and whatnot. Even assuming that they're working diligently on making their game to come out in 2018, the foundation they've built upon is incapable of supporting it. And that's just the netcode. The amount of data they need to transmit with the required latency they need to transmit it at combined with the servers they've gone with dooms it again. Their positioning is hosed, look at any video of the ships slowly spinning on their landing pad.

Even if they iron out everything else, there is so much that is essential to the underlying experience that is impossible to fix that they can never produce their game as advertised.

And if any of the Germans say "oh well they have the Crytek people working on it", the Crytek engines are great at making as pretty a picture as possible while being resource hogs. Also, it's not like there are any massive multiplayer FPS games using their engine. Crytek was never know for its netcode. I think there may be a traditional MMO using Crytek, but that isn't twitch based in the least and a fair easier challenge to handle.

And how does the Crobbers dev team "respond" to this? Do they simply ignore this? Do they lie? Does the best marketing business woman and talented actress smile all the doubts away?
I don't understand why the gaming press/ magazines don't rip all that assunder every other month?

I only remember the Escapist upset.
Even Germanys biggest print and online gaming mag, Gamestar, covers this with a positive and hopefull vibe : http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen/news/star_citizen,48820,3272203.html

This is last weeks news: next "milestone", faster developement, and the next iterations after Alpha 2.4. promise even better quality . Where are the funny PTU videos and gifs?! Where are the interviews to ask what should be asked?

I mean even when this comedy forum is able to point out valid technical doubts and delivers videos and hints and insider stories to show there is so much wrong and attached with absurd scopes...., why can't the gaming press make their loving job and ask the right questions but STILL fuel the hype and hope to sink even more funding/ donations?
Did video game journalism just fall for this as well? Is this just hope that Crobers saves PC Gaming like Sandi hopes she will have talent some day?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Nice and great wall of Information and speculation, G0RF. That's what I would like to read in SC covering magazines. You (and many others here!) deliver where gaming journalism fails to do.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
lol King Kongor alias GHOST is back! Again. (and streams Hearthstone right now)
And he is a Croberts Citizen

"Youtubing, Streaming, Space, Sci-Fi, Games, Astronomy & Technology enthusiast.
I absolutely LOVE star citizen!
This channel will consistently upload Star Citizen & random game gameplay and reviews!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCG7Go3a9p3Wo70YfZOOajXA?about

And I found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/46qqxw/ghost_is_king_kongorguys_you_just_gave_mvp_to_a/

Sorry if this is old news, but I just found out. The Chairman and the best business+marketing woman in the world have the most butthurt Ex-ex-ex-streamer King Kongor as worshipper, you can't make this stuff up.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

They've created a fanbase that can't criticize them. They've said that they're not going to make promises or give real deadlines because people will "harass" them about it. It's amazing. If you ask "why isn't that thing you promised here when you promised it" they make you out to be an enemy that doesn't understand video game development.

It's just shocking how they've curated a community that actually attacks/censors/downvotes people who ask simple questions about the promises CIG had made.

CIG sees it not as a fanbase, but an alliance or team with outside enemies that seek to destroy it. It's so very "us vs them" with "them" being anyone that asks for basic accountability.

The way they've built the community is just astounding.

This is on point and sums up their pattern of "arguments"

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
twitch chat impressions highlights from DeejayKnights stream the last hour with a hilarious laggy game despite his 980TI and i7 (DeejayKnight is a cool and chill dude tho. )

Ferc8: samseed666 They are working on SQ42 hard though. It is just that they do not want to spoil the story and content so they will not do PTU like content with it

samseed666: I WANT this project to succeed. PC needs a pc exclusive game of this magnitute to work. If it fails, it will really hurt pc gaming and right now we are already hurting

samseed666: Why is it on hold?? When they did that demo it seemed almost ready, then they changed focus and changed milestones at the last second. Thats the type of thing that worries me

FeeKTesH: @samseed666, shut up, you're just annoying now.

TheAstroPub: @samseed666, basically the netcode, the skeleton, and animations needed work and by the time they got some of those finished the PU was ready. Essentially Star Marine was designed as a "here have this while we make the game to have fun" and to test the FPS mechanics.

samseed666: This is typical of the SC community. If anyone voices any concerns, they get defensive and hostile. Thats why you been accused of being a cult.
TheOriginalGrib: @Samseed666 they haven't officially said, but the rumor is that CIG wasn't happy with the way that the studio that were working on it had it

HaxBeast: I dont even have SC and I can tell ur opinion is highly flawed in nature mate. cult or not EleGiggle @samseed666

Ferc8: samseed666 Well the tech and features of Star Marine are already in thsi version as the FPS features. Star marine is really a lobby system and raking features similar to Arena Commander. When they cram more stuff into this Stanton area they will enable the Star Marine lobby map etc

TheAstroPub: @samseed666, Star Marine is still coming out but they reprioritized their work to getting the thing people wanted

TheAstroPub: @xsmokinggunx, the most exciting part about this for me is that it's the start of the content flood. shipping, salvage, mining, all of that can now drop into place with persistence enabled

Skyrant: Persistence is if you store world state like half mined asteroids, destroyed stations, things that are PERSISTENT for everyone, not just you

Skyrant: Inventory, money is not persistence. Every game has that.

HaxBeast: @Skyrant, in an mmo setting mate. kinda diff u know?

Twelvecount: @skyrant but it's in a multiplayer setting...

MagnetronGW2: When a game tracks any progress you make is called : Persistence

TheOriginalGrib: @Skyrant because this game is in early development and until now it didn't have persistence

Skyrant: I fail to see the amazing achievement here. Game keeps score and you have an inventory! OMG! Thuis is revolutionary! Never done before. LMAO!

Jubehnka: @skyrant they mean server-side persistence. most games keep game data locally, MMO's have to do it on a server, otherwise players could modify this data and cheat. This release means theyre working on the server side infrastructure for player persistance

HaxBeast: @Skyrant, FailFish

Skyrant: After 4 years you have an inventory! How amazing!

Antidomeitic: @skyrant it's not revolutionary but it's a huge step in what they released for Pre Alpha to public

Skyrant: Dudes, even FArmville has persistence according to your. it stores your farm on a server.

Jubehnka: @skyrant yes other games have persistence, it doesn't mean this game is the first to do it, so far the game didn't have it and now that it's added it's a milestone. nobody's claiming they're reinventing the wheel, during a develompent cycle things happen in stages, this is the stage where persitance firs thappened

citlee: how's combat so far, compared to Elite: Dangerous? (it's the only other game I can think to compare it to

yoyomo1983: @citlee Elite is fun and further along, but I think SC is going to surpass it with everything that's coming.

dethwysh: ppl need to stop donating money, so they stop adding more and finish what they have

Ferc8: dethwysh stretch goals stopped at 66 mil if that is what you are referring to

yoyomo1983: @citlee it's a lot of fun, but takes practice to get good, which I love. Elite was very easy to pick up and play, and it seemed simple to get good. But I'm already quite bored with ED, and am thinking of exploring far to the galactic rim just for something to do. Whereas I think SC will keep my interested for many years

WaldoPB: it seems elite has the advantage when it comes to star systems what pros does star citzen have?

takon074: @WaldoPB, ELite is farther along in development because it's launch scope was smaller.

dethwysh: @WaldoPB, no question, buy SC

SolamYas: Waldopb quality vs quantity

Karmaslappp: @waldopb on the contrary. Elite has more but they're procedural, empty cookie cutter lifeless systems. 1 system in star xitizen will have more than all of the system of elite

copepod93: how many people can go port olisar now? still 32?

Skyrant: 24 people? I thought this is an MMO?

Karmaslappp: @copepod93 24 not 32

TheAstroPub: @Skyrant, babysteps, 24 people per instance and eventually the central server will spawn instances where needed. @Skyrant, also their goal is 100 people per instance

ironeyex: I wish they would just make the game run smooth rather than add extra features

TedFredDead: This is the PTU there will be bugs, there is a reason why only so many people get into the PTU to test the build before everyone can play it

MagnetronGW2: we all want 60+ fps, but that is a waste of time atm

And the best one:

Ferc8: samseed666 also a certain blogger called ds who is into internet drama since the 90's and article that feed off of his stuff is what usually triggers these worries

:wtchris:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

See, all those features were already in the game - shipping, salvage, mining - it was all there. But with persistence disabled, they couldn't be "dropped into place." Now they can. It's like Legos. Now there will be a "content flood".

Any day now.
:ortiz:

Would make a good next thread title:
"Star citizen - content and feature flood with Persistence enabled. Any day now"
:corrupt:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Beexoffel posted:

Since at least the time Eonwe was thread OP,
I had a *really* lovely day at work and your "caught up with the thread"-gif collection made me laugh, thanks Beexoffel. And Sandi for beeing....on a cast list. The only "transparent" and open view in this Star Citizen project was her boob window imho. Will buy jpeg-ships now.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://mobile.twitter.com/GillianA/status/734145694055976960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

First Star Citizen, next James Bond.
Thanks Chris and Sandi for evolving Gillian Anderson, will pledge SC now!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
http://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lpkst/cig_wont_present_at_pc_gaming_show_after_all/d3piz53
:allears:
"This is a good time to start complaining"
well r/starcitizen, now who had blinders on all the years?
:munch:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

I looked up the definition of denial and it says "Star Citizens"

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"Coming up in 2015, we will launch the FPS module, multicrew ships, the initial planetside/social experience and the first episode of the Squadron 42 single player adventure!"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/community

Why would they not edit that?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4m0e51/star_citizen_where_do_we_stand/

"so my opinion is : we will still wait for many years, it's normal for that kind of project."

lol

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

In September 2014 two unhappy people left the news radio because of doubts. Who can blame them :D

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
I said "SC only offers a techdemo after 4,5 years and not a game but only gimmickry/fooling around with hilarious bugs".

Answer by a backer in a german forum:
"Diese Spielereien sind das Spiel. Das, was emergent gameplay ermöglicht. Das, was Elite Dangerous fehlt und nun langsam nachgereicht wird. Mehr Systeme vergrößern nur die Fläche, auf der du Spielen kannst. In meinen Augen ist eine übermäßig große Spielfläche die unwichtige Spielerei. Eine komplette Galaxie sieht auf dem Papier toll aus, aber nach dem 5. gleich aussehenden Stern wird das ziemlich langweilig. Das hat Elite getroffen, das wird No Mans Sky treffen. "

Translation: These fooling around/gimmickry is the game. That, what allows immergent gameplay. That, which Elite Dangerous misses and now adds slowly. Expanding more systems just opens the area you can play on. In my eyes an overburden playfield is gimmickry. A whole galaxy looks great on paper, but after the fith similiar looking star it gets boring. That hits Elite Dangerous and thuis will hit No Mans Sky."

:bang:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Dante80 posted:

Oh, I remember that one, back in the Hull Series q&a (was mildly amused by thinking about very large landing legs, so made a thread about it).

Essentially, the B was supposed to be able to land fully laden. Lesnick is talking about the C here.
The real answer, is that one year after selling the ship they have absolutely no idea how it is going to work.

I discussed this in a german SC thread and got the response "you dont understand agile software development".

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
The comment shitstorm on the cancelled german SC Radio Site is hilarious
http://www.star-citizen-news-radio.de/2016/05/scnr-stellt-seinen-service-ein/#comments

"Durch dieses Verhalten und diesen Abschiedspost haben diese ganzen Trolle wie Derek Smart wieder unnötig Kanonenfutter. "
Due to this behaviour and this farewell posting all Trolls like Derek Smart got unnecessary connen fodder

"Finde ich schon recht fragwürdig. Aktuell ist es spielbar und es kommt mehr und mehr Inhalt dazu, nebenbei wird SQ42 entwickelt…"
I find this
["this" refers to the disappoinment of the authors that SC was not delivering and having problems]
questionable. Right now it (SC) is playable und gets more and more content, besides SQ42 is in developement"

:ughh:

The amount of flames, meltdowns and insults is fantastic

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

So just some more milestones and the game is done? 2 weeks I guess?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
At least the funding continues and does rrrreally well because all you can see is a hint that SC will be a great game :neckbeard:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
While trailers just show the best visual impressions to sell the game with cherry picking footage that may cover a disappointment later (Star Wars Battlefront says hi. I fell for it, I admit, deleted that boring poo poo after 1 week), the Mass Effect stuff just wipes the floor with SC.
Sandi, no boobwindow will help hyping your 21 fps techdemo with zero content.
CitizenCon will be the best entertaining fuel for this thread, I cant wait.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Lazrin posted:

where was the big show you promised?

Where is the Game that Chris Roberts promised? One of the several would be enough to begin with

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
So whats the new hot SC stuff at E3? Where is the hype? Did I miss any new Vids/trailers or interviews or.....
Oh wait!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Tippis posted:

Blatantly stealing this from FDev forums:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/333172/new-cod-infinite-warfare-trailer/p1

Infinity Ward — the guys responsible for what are arguably some of the most successful FPSes ever — are apparently no-talent hacks who are stealign from CIG. :roflolmao:

Of course they stole it, you clearly don't understand gaming developement.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Did Sandi actually tweet from E3..? What the gently caress?

Come on, we all knew that "CRobbers got no time/other business duties/needs holiday/insert BS reason here" so they quit E3 always was a cop out.
They just have nothing to show from SQ42 so they try to rescue whatever they claim they had to Gamescom. It is all about winning time to cover their incompetence.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't get the impression that it is done on purpose. I honestly feel he's trying to deliver on the massive promises that were made, but perhaps went in too deep. The lack of relevant and significant communication of late could just be internal adjustments and realignment.
Oh...I agree and this is a familiar Freelancer DejaVu 2000: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/article_29857 "too ambitious"....
The whole SC scope should ring so many bells, but the Cult ignores this.

CR now does not even a corrective thanks to the funding triple digit millions. He failed with project structure and without monitoring and supervision he won't ever deliver.
You read it in the Goons threads first.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

I spit my morning coffee lmao :sludgepal::yarg::master::lol:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"Those hull ships.... God drat.

This game is going to be something when it's done. Hell it already is and it doesn't have that much content yet."
lol

:bang: The NeoGaf Citizens can mentally compete with r/starcitizen

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Samizdata posted:

FTFY and I got your back, goonbro(?)

:glomp::newlol:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4124648&viewfull=1#post4124648

"TLDR; he's [Levelcap] been gushing about Star Citizen without fail, and has become part of the hype machine in a way that isn't healthy for any game. Most of the stuff he was rambling about has either been cut already, or is just very unlikely to ever see the light of day. As others stated before, he talks about features as if they're already in the game"
:lol: Hey, don't fuel the hype TOO much pls kk thx! This is unhealthy for this Game.
Game! Game ? :lol:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

116+ Million make this possible. Star Citizen will be a system seller and save PC Gaming and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMCrMilsozk

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Like I said: I think they have a lot of this planned out behind the scenes and are not being open about it (nor have they implemented anything yet) because (possibly) they're saving it for bigger reveals this year and next. It does go against the 'open nature' of development that they have claimed though.
They will reveal further delays and sell more scope fiction while the upcoming Space Games will whipe the floor with SC and SQ42 or whatever techdemo they won't still have released.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
I just have to repost this, no one must miss this (op from Wikkheiser some days ago) and this thread runs so fast

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Hell, yes!

The German SC Threads have the consensus that CIG showed that concept-press-stuff to PC Games only and not the Alpha Testers, because..... "The Gaming Journalists can test this better in a smaller group!".

Yes, I am serious. Pure denial. Oh and that Article total owned Derek Smart they say, so have they wonned and is the game out soon?
:yarg:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

orcane posted:

not sure what it is with Germans and this game

We Germans are crazy for Space Games, Simulations and Sci-Fi-stuff, and on top of that Wing Commander was one of the biggest PC System sellers in the history of the german gaming market, it also fueled the rise and sold copies of PC Mags .
Wing Commander was one of the biggest boosts for the transition from Amiga 500, Mega Drive and Super Nintendo to PC Gaming in Germany.
Despite his failed Projects, CRobbers still gets unlimited leap of faith and trust in the German Gaming Journalism. Especially PC Games really never ever mentioned problems, instead they follow the convention of speech that agrees on "iconic projects need time and faith, CRobbers can do it, lets stay hyped "

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6840562/#Comment_6840562

quote:

Chris also said that they are much farther along with SC than we backer think or are able to play atm.

He is also explaining why they keep selling ships and why the actual development takes it time.

I would bet our "constructive critiques" will ignore that - like always.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Saint Drogo posted:

backers will blame goons and Derek and stay loyal unto death.
Not "will", they already do and are. When you ask the Cultists in SC threads in the german gaming forums why PC Games got exclusive stuff and information and *not* the backers and how does this refer to the most "open" game development ever, they blame the Goons and Derek.
It is our fault CIG that does not announce release dates anymore, they say, because we are lovely whiners and flamers.
:gary:

• Locked thread