Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
after reading through this thread and knowing what's going on i still don't get what this game was supposed to be.

it's as if crobbert played dayz once and had some revelation that this poo poo should be in space, with... flight attendants and news reporters and drink-making simulators and a crafting system and pets and and and and...

i think it would've been much more realistic sticking to "dayz in space" instead of the feature creeping monster it's become, but instead they're focusing on some lovely single player game that no one wants or cares about, using expensive actors instead of just some mo-cap dudes. personally, i liked playing "the last of us" and that's some good mo-cap, just small pieces to add actual immersion and feeling to a great game, and later watching the behind the scenes on that, with a real and solid game dev company shows you how this poo poo is actually done.

in a way - for the laffs - i'm glad this is failing and will continue to fail horribly. in another it's pretty loving sad. more than a hundred million dollars. i mean holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Jonny Nox posted:

The other thing is if they were Blizzard, they could look at what they had and say "gently caress it" because it would have been made with Blizzard's money. Since it's made with public money though...

this happened with blizzard's attempt at an fps. it was very likely the right call.

this is different. it's a company having been given over 100 million dollars, and having absolute poo poo to show for it after years of development and release promises. it's shameful how it's all being managed.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
why do most people here seem to assume CR is deluded into wanting this game to happen at all? i'm just imagining myself if i had some dream-game in development with a pool of cash, i would be absolutely involved and giddy about it. the youtube with him playing his own game's dev build makes it look like - almost proves - he ran it for the very first time that same morning.

i guess he could be dreaming about his Vision™ on the sidelines, but i can't imagine him being involved in the process in any way apart from directing lovely, obscenely long cut-scenes.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Tahjir posted:

Been lurking in these threads since late September, so after seeing the free flight week I decided to try it out to see just how bad it could possibly be.

At first everything seemed... functional. Sure, I moved like I was several hundred pounds overweight and it seemed like my head was attached to my left shoulder, but I was able to move and interact with my environment, two essential parts of the gaming experience. After several minutes of wandering I discovered the ship-summoning terminals and excitedly chose the first ship listed, and was told that there weren't any available spaces, nor was I allowed to summon the remaining two ships. Five minutes later I summoned the RSI Aurora, and upon finding it on the landing pad, realized it was the ugliest loving ship I had ever seen. Regardless, I attempted to board and was kicked from the server, and then my computer hard-locked.

Second attempt: I summoned some sort of fighter. I climbed inside like an arthritic grandmother boarding a roller-coaster and batted soundlessly at the mess of buttons and toggles, nothing inside the cockpit animating in any way. The screen lit up, and I was kicked due to an authentication error.

Third attempt: I ran as quickly as I could, summoned the Aurora again, and made it inside after waiting for my turn at the airlock. Once on board I noticed a small passage behind the cockpit and opened it. It turned out to be a tiny cot, which my character proceeded to loudly sleep upon. No combination of buttons would end the animation. Over the snoring, I could hear gunfire and explosions. Somewhere, someone was actually gaining some measurable amount of entertainment. Above me, the reflection in the ceiling split in two and began to vibrate. I mashed every button on my keyboard, inadvertently bringing up my mobiglass, which caused the game to crash.

Fourth attempt: I played Elite instead. Sure, it may not have the sheer fidelity, realism, and immersion, but at least I can get off the damned space station in less than an hour.

i lost it at "I could hear gunfire and explosions" and it just got better

thanks for the :lol:

star citizens is so good

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

quote:

i'm happy enough thinking some day owning a pet alien on board my ship with my wife and daughter (who serves me mixed drinks on our long voyages through space) while i look at the latest news update. watching my nice mushrooms and uranium flowers grow on the sideline. this very life and existence is the reason i've pledged $3500 to this project. i believe in the dream.

and if anyoene stands in my way. i mean ANYONE... i can't wait for the rape slave feature to be implemented and fully functional. i will be fully immersed

that includes you derek shart

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
that is what i would say if i were a citizens

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i would gently slide my pvp slider down until my until-now-hidden tongue is able to be up your

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

darkarchon posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/01/squadron-42-to-cost-extra/

Mmm I can almost taste the delicious salty tears coming from that article. Oh wait. Nobody is going to give a gently caress. Oh well.

hiring actual high salary actors is only obviously the beginning of the end for these fuckers (the actors and cig). serious what the gently caress with the waste and mismanagement of money, as i've posted earlier in this thread. you do not need incredible actors to play mocap cutscenes. they just need to move like people. ben could do everyone.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
in my Dream™ it's gillian anderson getting out of bed with her own movements each time i get out of bed and her voice when i snore in my exploding spaceship. my plants wake me with their shivering pixels when i'm boarded, and turn into tentacles to help the enemies capture me

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i feel so immersed already

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

MeLKoR posted:

The PvP slider is the dumbest thing ever because it would become the default playmode for everyone that isn't actively on a group raid looking for people that are all camouflaged by the slider. Why would you ever turn your PvP slider off except when you reached your hunting ground?

it's not a completely terrible idea honestly, though still bad. myself coming from years in a pvp mmorpg -- the incredible game called classic ultima "no pussys" online. but these guys would have zero idea how to do it right or at all, just another Dream™ without the hindsight. the best thing i can think of for... why the gently caress am i even imagining this ever being a real commercially released mmorpg? anyways it would be having separate servers. red and blue.

since this game is never going to be released as an actual mmorpg past 64 player instances on 2018 computers i can safely assume gillian anderson will be reporting the news on a yearly basis for 400 million dollars of your pledge money.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
spoiler alert from my secret sources: gillian anderson marries ben in one of the cutscenes, living happily ever. literally the ending script of squadon420. a warm tale of a famous actress turned pirate falling in love with a whale from space

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Fried Watermelon posted:

I feel bad for the one programmer they have working on this game

impossible functional requirements can be expected from lovely bosses. all you can do is say "si senor" and quickly update your linkedin, hoping for a better job where the executive's name doesn't end in roberts.

one of the best thing i do get out of this thread is what redditors and spergs on the ris forums think assume about any development, like they have a loving clue. pretty much like they make up having a clue about anything, deluding themselves into a tiny safezone. and in this thread how some goons think programmers are jacking off to this game like we're all loving nerds or something.......... wait

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i'll reiterate that the pvp slider isn't a terrible idea. just bad.

- must be offline to slide
- must wait 2 hours between slider changes

the difficulty really is on the dev side. having separate servers for pvp and non-pvp is the best idea. having to make sure everyone is easily capable of seeing who's PK and who's non-pvp, while managing external damage sources on non-pvpers and the like are all difficult on split pvp/not pvp areas. it's why i think it's impossible for this particular team, specially given their short promised lifespan with so many much more important requirements, like michael jackson

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
yes i know my slider has two positions, off and on. it's the reason it's bad, 3 or more positions on the slider just makes things complicated and stupid.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
*boards space ship casually for 5 hour flight to planet with special cute pink pony aliens*

hmm yes i will have a margarita pls

*watches sexy avatar walk away*

ahhhhh time to watch the latest space marinecast

*sees beautiful gillian anderson in all her glory nervously looking into the camera and following script*

good, good....

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

MeLKoR posted:

From a long term economic perspective this is irrelevant. If miners and traders can go about their business everywhere in the universe unimpeded then it will always be more profitable to go around with PvP off, amass huge wealth, buy the biggest sperg chariot and then go hunting "griefers" AKA anyone that doesn't go around with PvP off all the time.

a very good point and one reason why zero mmorpgs do split pvp/pve except in small "arena" style areas. i do forget how important loot would be in this kind of rpg. i'm really the terrible masterdebater trying my best to find the good in the argument. it's POSSIBLE and not terrible, but still bad.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

darkarchon posted:

I don't see how this is possible for a "first person immersion universe". Nobody will ever run around with PvP on.

it happens in a game i don't play but have a fondness of: dayz.

from the beginning since reading these threads i thought that was his initial dream: dayz in space.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Andronian posted:

I'm posting from 600 pages back! I have no context of what is going on around me in the thread where this post ends up.

Which is kind of like Croberts trying to make Wing Commander But Better only the games industry has moved a mile a minute and he no longer has any idea what is a good idea or even possible with today's tech. Except instead of telling all of you to expect a good post and to give me a million dollars for it, I just decided to do it for free. You're welcome Citizens :)

crobberts lied. citizens died.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

notoriousman posted:

same, but goons

goons ruin everything including they our selves

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
so has anyone on reddit complained yet in all this time that their precious pre-alpha tech demo is in maintanance mode indefinetely, at least until sq42 is done?

i mean i am not a game developer like everyone who backs star citizen seems to be, but that usually means you're stuck with this garbage until chris "finishes" his game movie personal project called sq42

when the tech demo is the one thing 99% of people want improved and expanded on, and they focus on other weird poo poo that should be low on the priority list (if on it at all) it just blows my mind. i always find myself lost for words trying to post on this thread.

eightace wasn't kidding saying it's hard believing what they're working on now. no one predicted it. can only imagine the poo poo DS is about to expose in two weeks

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

D_Smart posted:

seeing the poo poo that's their "persistent" universe, I won't be surprised if they trash all that and go straight to player hosted client/server model, with a server browser. If they do - and keep the PU (in whatever lovely state) - then they'd probably split the game again. Star Citizen (PU), Squadron 42, Star Shitizen (server browser).

could they just go for something like diablo2 (sorry i haven't played d3) and just call that "persistent" since things are technically "saved" somewhere? but this being an mmo, no, never... obviously. every time i imagine what a final release might look like, if there ever is one, i'll say it again: dayz in space.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

No Mods No Masters posted:

poo poo man I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lore behind this space fish 'presentation'

lore, explained:

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i think it's funny when a BBB case complaint description sums up everything nicely in short order:

quote:

Refund denied for product not delivered.
"Cloud Imperium Games has collected in excess of $100 million in crowd-funding money by selling game related items of varying value from $10 all the way up to to $15,000.

The game was promised to be delivered in Nov of 2014. However, thus far, only about 10% of the content they promised and received money for, have been delivered. Also, they have since vastly increased the scope of the project from what was previously promised; and they have gone on the record admitting to this.

They also changed the original Terms Of Service which would have required them to provide full refunds and financial accounting for the project if they failed to deliver by the promised Nov 2014 date. This change extended the term from Dec 2015 to May 2016.

They continue to raise money for the project despite never having met a single promised milestone.

Like a lot of other gamers, when I requested a refund, they denied it. They claim that a recent 2.0 tech demo which they released in a buggy and incomplete fashion in Dec 2015 (exactly when the original accountability term in the ToS was to be in effect), constitutes a substantial release of the promised game. Given how much is missing from it, that claim is patently false and they are using it as an excuse to actively deny refunds. This despite the fact that they promised two games; Star Citizen and Squadron 42. And as of now, I haven't received any part of the second game."

only thing it's missing is "and Derek Smart happened."

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

AP posted:

35 weeks.

my brain seriously read this as "35 years" before i noticed something odd

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

kikkelivelho posted:

Also, how can anyone seriously say SC has "permadeath". Permadeath means when you die you're done, your character is loving dead, you lose everything. According to croberts, SC just penalizes you once in a while for dying. You don't lose your ships or any other poo poo you own, you just lose some money and reputation/exp. That's nothing more then a basic MMO death penalty.

countdown to unpermadeath tokens

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

i'm the flaccid dick going up my own rear end

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

canepazzo posted:

This makes my brain bleed outta my ears.

that fuckboy knows zero about software engineering, spewing words like agile and waterfall like he knows poo poo. CR uses the unique, new and in-development Garbage™ method of development.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

aleksendr posted:

Its not, and most larger software don't start right up with agile. Agile is better suited for modules on an already stable foundation or smaller project using established API or structure. SC should totally be doing waterfall until it release something more stable.

i think the real concern and point is it doesn't matter what methodology they're using or pretending to use, but that they've made deadlines and promises since the project's inception without delivering a thing. it's painfully obvious they've only delivered a non-game by force when one particular deadline potentially could've cost them thousands, if not millions of dollars.

imagine the rush to release "2.0." beautiful assets really, but not a game - or fun - unless you have a really good imagination.

Illfonics was given a job and were delivering based on their given requirements, but something happened. my guess is the PU's cryengine was so modified as to be completely incompatible with Star Marine. they say they've incorportated Star Marine's FPS into the PU, but i'm not sure i believe it. poo poo communication between studios, poo poo money management, poo poo time management.

it's not the developers to blame, it's the terrible management. the people up top. though i'm not saying anything new.

i do wonder just how big of a chunk of money from that $105M+ is going into making cut-scenes instead of a game. and i wonder if we'll ever find out.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

No Mods No Masters posted:

As for myself, I don't think there should be any mods

close thread

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
the best thing i get out of this is how the SC community thinks SA is composed of nothing but 100% SC haters and trolls, and forgets it's one lovely thread in a cesspool of green and brown

and think this forum is irrelevant

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
about the weight loss talk. i was 320 at one point, standing at 6'4

pretty fat.

never think you don't need to exercise. years of exercise, starting from simple beginnings got me down to 205, which isn't bad when a lot of the weight still on was converted into muscle.

starting is the hard part. it's always that initial motivation that you need,. and "i have no time to exercise" is a really bad excuse. walk, stairs (over and over and over again), or just throwing a basketball, and turn that initial weight-loss into good feelings, good motivation. it will kill your knees, but leg workouts are the big burners.and lunges will make sure your rear end hurts in the most glorious way possible. and go from there.

that, and as someone else pointed out, working out will give you an appetite. that's the second hard part. and i never went hardcore healthy diet, but i did cut down massively on the sugary drinks and sugary foods. also, healthy foods can be delicious if you just find the right toppings. healthy toppings on salads, etc. if you do exercise, it doesn't mean you can't treat yourself once in a while.

good luck fat goons.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
what sandi is doing to ben and his wife is sad as gently caress. i don't know about the man's eccentricities and can't judge, but no one deserves that lovely treatment at work, specially when the man says they're both trying to diet.

truly, this woman has no heart.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Yes, because they couldn't tell Ben was fat. Give me a loving break. I'm just saying it seems that every time there is a lack of drama surrounding SC this thread devolves into "Ben is fat aaarrrgh". And no poo poo, he's fat. Who gives a gently caress? If he's fat he's fat. Who loving cares? And it is increasingly petty, which just makes some in this thread look loving childish. Hahaha, Bens fat. Yeah, real loving mature. What are people 12?

well i haven't followed any SC thread except this one. seeing pictures of him from 2012 and pictures of him now is sad. Sandi obviously helping in his destruction is relevant to the thread.

cats and recipees and we can't talk about fatness and weight loss because? it's like some people suddenly felt triggered.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

A Neurotic Jew posted:

does anyone in this thread who is actually smart have an explanation for why CIG can't seem to get a party system together in the PU? All the explanations for major technical problems around SC has been because CryEngine is built for FPS, but that wouldn't effect the ability to code a system that allows you to easily find a server with your friends on it, would it?

i don't know poo poo about cryengine but don't forget that when Chris failed to play his own game a while back he promised to fix the lovely, buggy, ugly chat window after experiencing it first hand. the same one still there. as others have pointed out, the main thing to remember now is that Chris is likely focusing everything on SQ42, and cares nothing about the fact that 99% of backers only care about a better PU.

ED looks cool, and i see a lot of potential there. looks like they have a good, organized thing going on, and only expect that game to get better and more fun with each increment to what's already there. cheers to them.

question to whoever knows: how much money has ED used so far to develop this, and with how many people? if that data's available. i'm really curious

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Sperglord posted:

What, they rescaled the axis?

What's interesting is the disappearing weekend bounce.

it was stuck on ~$42k for three days straight or something this week. it really looks like they redid the past few days.

D_Smart posted:

Yes - it does. Completely.

that's good to know.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
so no bug fixes in these "patch notes"? i mean, i can easily see people going criminal without meaning to with all of those weird bugs.

how exactly can they tell if someone is getting in the way of a ship, for instance? this is going to be a beautiful disaster.

watch 2.3 be all about improving the bounty system.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
have there been any recent posts by that sad seal man? or are they all just too depressing to read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

stay safe seal ghost (hopefully is a joke)

• Locked thread