Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

You guys sure like picking on people's appearances in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I still don't get why more journalists haven't looked into what's actually going on with this game - either to confirm what's been said or to report that's everything is going fine. You would think that after the escapist article other journalists would want to get in on what it is a pretty major story in gaming, even if it were just to say "we've looked into this and there is no evidence behind the escapist and derek smart". There was that one Kotaku reporter who said he's heard stuff and that the escapist article was "unprofessional", but they still haven't touched it.

It's not like CIG is some major publisher where they would need to worry that much about a long term relationship, either. I know it's a lovely industry and everything, but that's precisely why I would expect a bunch of exposes for clicks.

I'd wager there are are very few journalists at gaming websites, just people who like to write about games

starkebn
May 18, 2004

What the gently caress is supposedly so ambitious about this game? Why do people keep saying that? Isn't it flying around in space and doing stuff at ports on planets? That had been done dozens of times already.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

So there are a few more buzzwords on the checklist, got it. Highly ambitious. Something that makes no difference to the core gameplay at all. Like hours of mocap.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I see why the development is taking so long, their command line has no history so they have to type everything out every time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Slap some Wagyu in the microwave then put some Heinz tomato sauce on it when it's brown all the way through

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Japanese mayo is superior-est

starkebn
May 18, 2004

guys, cut it some slack. Just having a pre-alpha that doesn't work after 3 years and $94 million is pretty normal. Give it a couple more years ffs.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

So the flight model I've seen so far in videos posted here is that you can throw even the largest ships around like they're on a gimbal. Is this the final planned model? Is there going to be no momentum implemented?

starkebn fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 22, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Size of refund probably has something to do with it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

What bullshit helmet would spray light into your eyes?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

You're delusional Gryphon

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Maybe this entire scheme has been the most audacious performance piece put together by Chris and Sandi as a resume to get them back in with the real achievers in Hollywood

starkebn
May 18, 2004

There's more physics modeling in quake 1 than there is in this pos

starkebn
May 18, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Octopode:

Why haven't you posted anything to support your position?

I want to fight you. I want to refute you. Please post so I can show everyone that you are wrong.

Don't you understand? I need you to post. I need to fight you. I have to fight. Please post and let me fight you. Please post. Please. Octopode. Please post.

Will you shut the gently caress up? You're the worst person to post in this thread in the last 50 pages

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

After a long night of editing it's done. Be gentle, I am still learning the editing software.

I present to you the ptu experience in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

voted 5

that was beautiful

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Well, at least this thread has gotten me to put Independence WarŪ 2: Edge of Chaos on Steam on my wishlist so I can buy it when it's selling for $1.79 again.

Thanks thread.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

do pilots generally change their callsign? I mean, he's called 'Old Man' because he's old but what callsign did he have before that?

It make none sense

starkebn
May 18, 2004

there's not a lot wrong with what Octopode thinks of the development of manbabbies biggest goddamn game, you people just can't resist a dogpiling poo poo meme.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

I just want to be totally clear on this. In the Wing Commander movie, is there actually a scene where they push spaceships off another spaceship with a bulldozer and it falls...somewhere...because of all the gravity in deep space?

What if the ship was rotating to create a downward force perpendicular to the deck?

:colbert:

To be clear, I haven't seen it since it came out and thought it was poo poo then.

e: but then the small ship would still have the same rotational vector regardless - I was mostly thinking of the people standing on the deck.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 8, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

I''m not a physicstronaut but that doesn't look like what's happening in the gif

yeah, and it wouldn't matter anyway because the little ship would still be moving in the same direction as the big ship when it got pushed off

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Iglocska posted:

Could be worse.

fight me

starkebn
May 18, 2004

the only question I find relevant to this project any more is this:

What are you going to do in this 'game' when it's finished?

All we've seen so far is spinning around on your axis shooting bad ai and then floating into a station to push a button. Apart from emergent gameplay when 6 beginner spaceships shoot $2500 spaceships to pieces to piss off the whales - what is going to be there for the people who want to spend the rest of their lives playing their 'game'?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Obviously whatever you can dream up you can do

this is what those idiots sadly believe

starkebn
May 18, 2004

what's going to happen to this 'game' when someone remembers to lock their ship? How hard can it be to only let the owner enter a ship or people in their party or what-have-you?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

drat, whatever excuse they call physics in this game is so loving poo poo. Look how that Glaive is just noclip flying.

:vomit:

I've been following this thread for laughs for ages now, but I'm just going to have to stop - my brain is just breaking .

starkebn
May 18, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Can someone who has actually dared to trawl the brown sea enlighten us on the supposed reason for the complete lack of mass these ships seem to have? Or if it's not something that's discussed a lot there, post the video of the glaive and ask what the shitizens think, just to see their reactions?
The only attempted explanation I've seen so far is 'the thrusters are ridiculously powerful'. But no objects with anything like real-life physics simulation should move like that. Have they forgotten to add proper mass values to all the ships? Or do they simply not have a functioning physics model at all.

Mass or not, super powerful thrusters or not - inertia/momentum just doesn't work like what is shown

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Emergent gameplay, this game is truly limitless

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Does this failure of an alpha even have a bug reporting process or report back to base built in?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

don't they pay themselves? then they can fund their lifestyles from that?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I want Croberts to chop up all his mocap footage into a two hour movie and have it get a similar reception as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Sardonik posted:

As a palate cleanser, this is what lead developers playing their game is supposed to look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kacg5SKJy_4

wow, that looked so un-genuine, didn't crash once - actually no problems at all

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hey guys Independence WarŪ 2: Edge of Chaos is just $1.49 on Steam at the moment (not $150 - wow)

It's a space GAME that has things to do and physics.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xwrnm/why_are_people_so_averse_to_manning_a_turret/

Turns out, manning a turret is a buggy lovely mess and nobody in their right mind actually wants to do it when they could be flying their own ship. This makes any ship relying on turrets for firepower more or less useless. What a stunning development who could have foreseen this.

When the physics let's you throw your ship around so easily and bring your main guns to bear on your target there is no reason to have turret.

Secondly, if you're throwing your ship around to get your main guns on target the turret gunners are equally being thrown around being made sick and useless because they can't track a target.

Big, lumbering bomber planes had turrets because they just flew in flat, straight lines and let the turrets line up targets.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Star Citizen is going to be bigger than GTA5 and have more to do so it needs more money

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Star Citizen: suicide with nobody watching

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hah, wtf, they actually believe or want something like this to ever happen

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Xaerael posted:

Did Octopode kill himself, or something? It's been a while. :ohdear:

The DoD threw him in prison after he doxxed himself

starkebn
May 18, 2004

MilesK posted:

Merry Chrismas everyone, I made you this.

Do the "mouth in the eye sockets" thing with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dudes, they're going to be playing this game for the next 30 years at least. They can afford a little bit of time of now and then.

• Locked thread