Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Star Citizen Alpha 2.0

It's not a game, it's not a testing environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dapper Dan posted:

Star Citizen: why don't they just

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mr.Tophat posted:

The petard the retard brought in was his own to be hoisted by.

She was asking for it with those clothes she was wearing

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Reasons why Star Citizens are delusional:

They think there is a plan of how gameplay systems are supposed to work

They think there is a plan on how ship sub-systems are supposed to work

They think there is a plan for how the in-game economy is supposed to work

They think there is a plan for how the post release monetization is supposed to work

Reality:

There is no loving plan because Croberts is an incompetent

starkebn fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 28, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

czarmonger posted:

even after seeing the gameplay which looks pretty cool

Opinion invalidated, there is no gameplay

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Iglocska posted:

Haha, noticed that too! QUICK, LOOK AT THE CEILING!

don't worry about him walking through the bulkhead though - oops

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Heinlein would actually probably fit right in with some of these dudes though.

Because they fantasize about loving their mums and daughters?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Moogle posted:

But have they modelled vacuum accurately yet? Maybe Chris has the vision we need to make space suck more.

Yeah, you can see it pumping in during the airlock sequence

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dowlphin posted:

But it has also been said that Chris Robert has done things no other developer has done at all or perhaps it will never be done again?

WHO? WHO THE gently caress EVER SAID THIS?

Total bullshit

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Chin posted:

CIG's motion/performance capture setup does seem kind of crude. You'd think after eight years that the camera mounts would become smaller and less cumbersome.

How do you go from this in 2007:

To this in 2015:

To be fair, there is only certain ways you can get something in front of your face like that and keep it stable. But, carry on

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Wrecked Angle posted:

I was gonna comment on this way back in the thread when these first got mentioned but realised I was about 30 pages behind. Now that it's come up again I'll give CIG some hints and tips.

As someone who has been involved in providing marketing and merch for a whole shitload of companies let me first say, there is nothing unusual with sourcing this poo poo from the cheapest far east sweatshop you can find. Everyone does it (Sadly). It's because there's just no budget for making this stuff either because the product can't carry a western manufacturing cost but more often (as is the case here) just due to greed.

However, here is what every other entity does that those brain dead fucks at CIG either didn't think of or didn't care enough to do.

1. You get the goods bulk shipped to you from the factory. This stops all that poo poo with the customs and the customer seeing the shipped value and puts you in control of the product.
2. You check the loving goods. Seriously, Checking cards, keyrings, t-shirts whatever takes a couple of seconds per item and saves you sending a customer loving trash.
3. You repackage and ship the items. This is where you add the value. Mount the lovely card on a nice letter with some sticky poo poo (like you get the cards from your bank) and put it in a clean or branded envelope and send it first class.

There you go, you've still paid pence per card plus an hour of a receptionists time, but now your customers are gloating about their premium pieces of tat rather than ripping on them on reddit.

Honestly, they can't not gently caress up merch and they're supposed to a multinational company or 6.

Shut up, Sandi is the greatest marketing person on the planet

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/306794/unmelt-is-live/p19

I first thought this was a goon troll but he's a $125+ backer so lol.

that's the thing, in any sane game the hugely priced packages would come with everything from the lower tiers too. All this unmelting and token crap is just a huge money grabbing, frustration machine.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Is that list of ships when you want to spawn something the best they can do? No icon or wireframe / model of the ship for visual recognition? No list of specs ro armament?

Are these spergs so invested in their jpegs they don't even need a little reminder to know what they're going to pilot?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

AP posted:

I can't remember laughing so much at a single Star Citizen video and gifs are easy to create from a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxNpfbRPEqE

love that fidelity, especially of the giant ships popping into existence and 'dropping' in nongravity to the launch deck

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"every news interview is done this way"

it's just that Sandi has no talent in front of a camera

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

A Brief History of Star Citizen

In 1990, Chris Roberts introduced the original Wing Commander, an homage to Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, to critical acclaim. The game was a flight simulator that included several types of branching missions, diplomacy, treasure-hunting, an Infocom-style text parser, and was one of the first commercial games to simultaneously use all 16 colors on the Commodore 64.

Over the years, many more titles were released, all named Wing Commander, but each taking place in its own universe and with its own characters. There was some confusion between the American and Japanese releases, due to some games never making it to the States; i.e. Wing Commander IV in Japan is Wing Commander II stateside. The combat systems remained familiar, as well as the catchy music and colorful boss fights, which required you to carefully balance when you used your lasers, and when you used your healing elixirs.

In 2010, Chris Roberts began crowdfunding for Wing Commander VII: Star Citizen, shortened to just Star Citizen by fans. Over the years, Chris has expanded the scope of the project, inspired by other game properties such as Elite: Dangerous and Line of Defense. So far he has raised over $100 million USD for this new title. Features include "Warp Zones", hidden areas that allow to you jump several levels ahead, a "hyperspace" ability that makes you disappear from one point and reappear some distance away at a randomly-chosen location, and dialogue-trees similar to the Mass Effect series. Also included are several levels of ship weapon and armor upgrades that allow you to take on increasingly powerful enemies. All ships start with green armor, but as you progress though the game, you can unlock blue ship armor, which cuts damage by 50%, and eventually red armor, which cuts damage by 75%.

Perhaps the most exciting feature in Wing Commander VII: Star Citizen is the introduction of a new game mechanic, internally referred to as "multiplayer". In such a setup, rather than the traditional method of players taking turns to fly their ship, two players can play in the same area at once - a technically impressive feature which was inspired by the Battlecruiser line of games.

No functional mechanics have been implemented at the time of this writing.

:perfect:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So a dude named Kyle Bromley, an Illfonic employee, posted this a few hours ago:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0EaVG

Sure looks nice!

Looks grey and brown as gently caress

FIDRLITY

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Maybe Illfonic just got so sick of Crobber they told him to stick his money and pulled the plug

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

I always just skip to the last 3 pages of a thread, if something major happened then people surely will still be talking about it.

The only way to read this poo poo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

fuctifino posted:

I'm afraid I skipped a few pages, but I know it's already been referenced.

If anyone hasn't seen EP 1: of Versebusters, Ben and Sandi's new show, you have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz9dEVNhqrk

I thought this was satire at first, and had to double check it was the official channel.

SANDI! LEARN YOUR LINES!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The reason no other game has done something like "grabby-hands" and just use an inventory screen instead is because "grabby-hands" is loving stupid and pointless and unfun after the second time you try and wrestle cargo into your ship.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Spending money on lovely smilies, truly you are the greatest commandos

starkebn
May 18, 2004

fuzzknot posted:

It could be worse. At least it's not Star Citizen.

Also, WHY is there not a :parp: smilie?!

I'm just glad in this thread about laughing at people's bad financial decisions you're dedicated enough that when news from CIG slows down you will step up and create original content.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"He's not a cheater, just cheating!"

Sure.

If the engine and systems enable it then more power to the person who uses it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

starkebn fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 10, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Banano posted:

‘I remember how it started; I remember the day my life changed. June 7th, 2917. I was six years old, in Primary, and our Teacher asked us a question. THE question. The most important question anyone has to answer, ever.

What do you want to be when you grow up? the Teacher asked us, its vocal tubes humming. A veritable bevy of hands shot up; young, impressionable minds ready to spout out answers. My hand shot up as well. How could it not? I was excited, we all were.

An instant later, the answer order had shot up on the monitor at the front of the class. Tichondrius, Timmy for short, was first, as usual. His cybernetic arm was only fractions of a second faster than a normal arm, but when the order is drawn up by a GNP targeting system, every fraction of a second counts. Timmy was always first to answer, and oh how he lorded it over the rest of us, us “mere mortals” as he’d lovingly laugh.

I want to be a Pirate! he yelled, beaming. He got to Pirate first, and now no-one else in the class could pick it too. Everyone had to be something special. Who would want to be what someone else wanted to be? It just would not work.

And so along through the class we went. Pirate, Pilot, Tracker, Doctor, Miner, Racer, on and on and on. Cyberneticist, Exobiologist, Explorer. Everyone in the class had a plan; something they wanted to be. Molly wanted to be a Starliner captain; Molly stole my first dream. It’s what I had wanted, but she’d gotten there first. Fine, I thought. Fine, if I can’t be a Starliner captain, I’ll be a...a...a Merchant!

Jahnus beat me to that.

Merchants are too rushed anyway, I thought, slowly. Who wanted to be a Merchant. A Mechanic was what I REALLY wanted to be. The excitement, the devotion, the people you’d get to meet!

Thint beat me to that.

Mechanics get all dirty, I thought, mollifying myself. Such hard work, and EVA’ing is dangerous. Not for me. No, no, what I really wanted to be was a...a Marine!

Samsa beat me to that.

A Policewoman!

Cansas beat me to that.

An info runner!

An Engineer!

A...a Gunner? A Cook? A Janitor?

Beat me to it, beat me to it, and beat me to it.

And then it was my turn. My name turned a pale blue on the monitor. I was last, as usual. I was busy racking my small mind, trying to think of something that had not yet been taken; trying to think of what no-one else wanted to be. The class turned and stared at me, the Teacher analyzed me, I started to cower, started to shake. Just a little, but it would get worse. It always got worse. I had to answer; had to think of something.

I want to be a Garbage woman! I blurted without thinking.

And that was it. That was the most important moment in my life. Oh, sure, you might laugh. Who wants to be a garbage woman?

Well, look at me today. Twenty-seven years later, I own a half-dozen Reclaimers and a fleet of Freelancers. I have seventy-five pilots working under me, garbage men and women all. They’re like a family, they’re all like me. They must have had that same fateful day too; that day where others slowly pick their dreams away from them, one by one. So I take them in, make sure they’re safe.
And they are. Because you know what happens to everyone else?

Marines, they get shot.

Police, info-runners, gunners, merchants, pirates, they all get blown up.

Doctors and Mechanics get raided.

Cooks and Janitors get airlocked for slights.

Who notices the humble garbage woman?

No-one. Not until they’re floating, derelict and abandoned, and the claw on my Reclaimer sloooowly crushes through their life-support systems. And then they clamour, and they bluster and they cry, and they offer me money, and power, and fame. And you know what I say, every time?’

‘PLEASE! Please, we, we have money, we can...you can have the ship! You can have my life’s savings! Just let us...

‘Every time, I say the same thing. I’m just taking out the trash.’

I love the vibrations as the claw closes slowly. I can’t hear it, can’t hear the cracks and groans of the metal; can’t hear the screams of those inside either, not anymore. I’ve shut off the comms. But the vibrations...they run through the whole of the Halcyon, my Reclaimer slowly picking the Merchant derelict apart, piece by piece.

I’ve been asked before, why I do it. Their offers of money, of cargo, why I don’t take them. I’d make more money taking their valuables than I do salvaging their ships.

But why should I?

Why should I let them continue?

They stole my dreams from me. The Pirates, the doctors, the marines. The police, the mechanics, all of them. They stole my dreams from me, left me a Garbage woman.

I’m just taking out the garbage.

My primary school classmates too were forced to pick exclusive careers from an ever dwindling list aged six :psyduck:

I actually like this

starkebn
May 18, 2004

They read out fuzzknot posts over loudspeaker in the stimpire

starkebn
May 18, 2004

trying to insult people, especially politicians who seem to cop a lot of this, by changing their name is just so stupid

starkebn
May 18, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Sorry, but I don't know how you missed the game docs, quick help, key commands - all built into the game.

Also, the quick help (recently update to reflect the aircraft and other unlocks in the .07 build in testing) pretty much tells you everything you need to know. Without ever reading the manual.

Let me know what you missed so that I can better understand it; because even though it's in development, I try to keep the docs up to date because I realize that it's a massive game and it needs to be accessible at launch.

Derek I saw a video you posted of your game, the one where the guy bails out of a shuttle or something. Flight model looked worse than the horrible poo poo in Star Citizen. I didn't think it would be possible, but here we are.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

D_Smart posted:

1) That was some guy making videos of the upcoming .07 build currently on our testing server

2) The flight model is a) simplistic b) undergoing tweaks to suit *this* game

3) The game was never billed as a "sim"; so I'm not shooting for "fidelity" in the flight dynamics

4) I've been writing flight dynamics engine for decades; so I'm not new at this. Here is a sample of my work in a game from 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teR46d0hsk8

And I posted this video today. It's a clip from another engagement in another game (also from 2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EatDs9Q-WYM

The above flight model is highly complex, takes a bit of learning. And I do NOT want that in LOD. That's why I'm not using it.

As I mentioned in the changelog (from the .07 build currently in testing and which that guy was playing to test the aircraft)

Okay, I respect that this was a choice

starkebn
May 18, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's the fidelity.

can someone explain the fidelity of 100-tonne space craft popping into existence on the launch pads? Could they not lift them up from below or something?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Chalks posted:

Poly reduction doesn't explain the differences in the overall appearance. There's no reason why you'd made the model fatter to reduce the poly count.

I imagine what probably happened is that a very talented artist did the original, then it needed to meet a smaller poly budget so they got someone else who isn't as talented to re-do it and they hosed up a bunch of it along the way due to not really understanding the core aesthetics the original designer was going for.

It actually seems possible that the ship was re-drawn from scratch based on pictures of the concept rather than being a slimmed down version of the same model because surely it would have been easier to simply reduce the number of faces automatically and repair the model afterwards, all the other changes seem like additional work on top. It's like one of those obvious knockoffs you see in some cheap games where they've basically redrawn the original model line for line with less detail and effort based on a picture.

I think it's because they have to model with actually having players run around inside them

starkebn
May 18, 2004

redwalrus posted:

Galarox, you have inspired me to take my work to the next level.

:worship:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

resolution isn't really important, it's the dpi that counts

starkebn
May 18, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Will you be able to mix Hairy Roberts cocktails and serve an NPC and realplayer passenger hold in Elite? Will you be able to hunt procedurally generated birds, capture them, drug them, rape them, then keep them as your slaves in Elite? Does Elite have 3 alien languages specially invented for the game?

No.

I win.

none of this is in SC either so :shrug:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Ahahahahaha, this is the most epic troll I have ever seen on those forums

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6406512/#Comment_6406512

I think he is quite genuine too which makes it all the better

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Someone needs to get in the thread and spreading the company truth. It has always been a single seat ship.

Also, anyone who can't tell that Ben just spews out any verbal diarrhea on every topic, wether he understands it or has any information about it or not needs to get a bit less gullible.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

darkarchon posted:

Why do they even have a two-staged Alpha at this point? Is an Alpha not enough yet? I don't understand the decision to make an Alpha of an Alpha at all

Don't you remember how badly their servers poo poo the bed when the ptu first came out? They can't handle the load of everyone trying to access their tech demo, and they can probably only afford a few thousand people to download 30gb every two days.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Galarox posted:

I am many many pages back, but had to finish this before catching up. Thanks to whoever suggested this, can't remember who it was. Anyways...

The Port Olisar River Boatmen:

:perfect: :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

When will you stop asking why Ben says the things he says. Everything he says is a bald faced lie because he has no clue what is going on around him but he is expected to take the fall

• Locked thread